The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

The pens are letting doug murray go. Do you thnk we will take a shot at him? He didnt seem to be to much of a defense liability. I think I read on another site that we may go for him. I know he is a left handed shot but would be be a top 4 dman?

To me he seems to be an instant upgrade, and we wouldnt have to throw the bank at him. Nice I didnt know we were making offers at him at the deadline. I just want some news. This buildup to the draft is killing me. It looks like if we stay in 5th we will get Nichuskin Drouin or Barkov in that order I believe. I just done see Nashville not taking Barkov.

Gosh, no. I was thinking of Erik Johnson, Col Avs. He's got 3 more years at $3.75M. St Louis made him the 1st Seth Jones! He didn't live up to the initial draft hype but is definitely a top 4 d-man and still maturing. He's only 25. May not be "veteran" enough for JR. But his cap hit is manageable, especially since JR would have to trade an asset or two to land him.

My bad   bill, so many bad memories of  jack  :)

To me he seems to be an instant upgrade, and we wouldnt have to throw the bank at him. Nice I didnt know we were making offers at him at the deadline. I just want some news. This buildup to the draft is killing me. It looks like if we stay in 5th we will get Nichuskin Drouin or Barkov in that order I believe. I just done see Nashville not taking Barkov.

Ryan, i agree, cant wait for this draft!

I understand your point but I'm not sure I agree. J was forced to play a more physical game last season. His game is really speed and energy even from a third line. Combine that with the Ruutu and Skinner injury and he had to play out of his game. Give him Skinner and Ruutu or Nich and I think we will see he can be a very decent second line center.

Chip is guessing the one or two might be Ellis and  a D-man.

Our UFA's  are Brent, LaRose, Corvo, Bergeron, Sanquinetti, Ellis

Looks to me like we are going shopping.

see ya larose, i love brent, but  i guess to clear up money, he could go, and  bergeron and  sanguinetti, keep ellis in that backup roll.  We cant win with  smurfs!

How about the undefeated Ray Emery? I'd rather spend most of the money on the defense upgrade though. Better defense will make both our goalies looke better no matter who they are..to a point anyway.

I agree that the bulk of the money should be spent fixing the defense and third line.  If Ellis is healthy and his price is right I would sign him. If it doesn't work out we can shop later in the season. Of course this also depends on having a healthy Ward to carry most of the load.

How about the undefeated Ray Emery? I'd rather spend most of the money on the defense upgrade though. Better defense will make both our goalies looke better no matter who they are..to a point anyway.

Emery and Crawford are about to become damaged goods courtesy of the Bruins.

I agree that the bulk of the money should be spent fixing the defense and third line.  If Ellis is healthy and his price is right I would sign him. If it doesn't work out we can shop later in the season. Of course this also depends on having a healthy Ward to carry most of the load.

The injury that he took could very well be a career changing injury and he may never be the same. I hate to say it but I can't help but keep thinking this.

Apparently Philly is in the market for a defenseman and are willing to trade one of their young centers (B. Schenn or Couturier) for the right deal.

Send them McBain and something.

Nich - Schenn - Dwyer on 3rd line.

I doubt either Couturier or Brayden Schenn is available. They just got Brayden's brother Luke and won't be quick to send the other packing. Couturier they had offers for that were huge overpayments and they decided to keep him, so I doubt McBain+++ would get Couturier here. Besides, wasn't he playing wing for Philly? 

As for all our free agents going, thank GOD! I can't remember the last time JR didn't feel like resigning any of his free agents. Good to clear money up, a good omen for our prospects wanting to make the roster (who will likely replace them all, minus one or two spots). Makes me feel a little bit more optimistic. We still have a ways to go before I have faith in the team's chances to make the playoffs, let alone sneak into the SCFs.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Another Bleacher Report article entitled "unrestricted free agent defensemen the Carolina Hurricanes should target." This is their list:

-Andrew Ference

-Ron Hainsy

-Toni Lydman

-Douglas Murray

-Rob Scuderi

I would really like Scuderi, if not, then Murray. Basically the article says Scuderi should be our #1 target and obviously I agree. I still like Ference, but if we are going to add just one guy, then I'd rather go a little bigger/better. Even in the article it says he would make a good #5 or #6 to play alongside Murphy, Sanguenetti (I hope not), or Bellemore (yay!), but that is Harrison's job. I have seen all three play quite a bit, but I don't know much about Lydman, and almost nothing about Hainsy.

Edited by Kyrule

Article saying that the Leafs will not resign Ryan O'Byrne...His stats fit the bill for us nicely (69 blocks in 42 games, about 15 min/game) and salary was 1.8 mil last year. 

Good, very good.  :crossfingers:

More good news:

Shero reportedly loves Jarome Iginla but not how Bylsma used him. Rossi suggests a multi-year deal could be worked out with Iginla if he’s interested in staying, but believes “Iggy” would want a “no-movement” clause. Morrow and Murray aren’t expected to be re-signed. Marc-Andre Fleury could be a buyout candidate, though Shero has not given any indication that could happen.

Per Spector/Rob Rossi

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Another Bleacher Report article entitled "unrestricted free agent defensemen the Carolina Hurricanes should target." This is their list:

-Andrew Ference

-Ron Hainsy

-Toni Lydman

-Douglas Murray

-Rob Scuderi

I would really like Scuderi, if not, then Murray. Basically the article says Scuderi should be our #1 target and obviously I agree. I still like Ference, but if we are going to add just one guy, then I'd rather go a little bigger/better. Even in the article it says he would make a good #5 or #6 to play alongside Murphy, Sanguenetti (I hope not), or Bellemore (yay!), but that is Harrison's job. I have seen all three play quite a bit, but I don't know much about Lydman, and almost nothing about Hainsy.

JR could go after a couple of middle-tier guys, like Scuderi or Hainsy, or more muscle with Murray or O'Byrne. I think Hainsy is the only top 4 guy here, so JR may target a non-FA trade to fill that role..

Scuderi may be off the market by July since I read today that LA wants to re-sign him and let Penner walk.

-Andrew Ference

-Ron Hainsy

-Toni Lydman

-Douglas Murray

-Rob Scuderi

I am not strong at rating other team's defenseman, but after reading that article, I'm with you on Scuderi. 

I am not strong at rating other team's defenseman, but after reading that article, I'm with you on Scuderi. 

Scuderi is a good option, estecially if he'll take less $ as the article indicates.  He'd make a good pairing with Pits I'd think...if not O'Byrne should be pretty high on the list. 

Looks like the Flyers are going to make a hard push for Yandle with one of their young forwards. See The Fourth Period ... http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/phi130609.html

Article says Carolina is interested in Yandle too but do not want to part with the required asset(s)...read Skinner or Tlusty & McBain. Guess JR wants to trade Pits or McBain straight-up for Yandle!!

Scuderi is a good option, estecially if he'll take less $ as the article indicates.  He'd make a good pairing with Pits I'd think...if not O'Byrne should be pretty high on the list.

Scuderi is maybe a 4th or 5th d-man. He may be a good match with Pits, Gleason, or Faulk. O'Byrne, a very big, gritty guy, could be a good 3rd pairing with SMurphy.