The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

to #8, thought about writing an article about how often Canes get injured, but thankfully we did some research beforehand and were surprised to find out that over the past 4 years, the Canes have not been an anomaly in terms of man-games lost to injury.

Here's their NHL rank in terms of games lost to injury the past 4 seasons (1st would be MOST games lost to injury):

2013: 15th

11-12: 22nd

10-11: 30th (what what!?)

09-10: 5th

Despite it FEELING like we're more injured than the average team, we're really not.  

All stats via Man Games Lost

This migh be a reflection of the quality of players we have in Charlotte. It seems like other teams can lose guys,and have other come up and do a good job. It seems like our prospects are prospects in name only.

stay the course!

Isn't this a quote from the captain of the Titanic?

to #8, thought about writing an article about how often Canes get injured, but thankfully we did some research beforehand and were surprised to find out that over the past 4 years, the Canes have not been an anomaly in terms of man-games lost to injury.

Here's their NHL rank in terms of games lost to injury the past 4 seasons (1st would be MOST games lost to injury):

Despite it FEELING like we're more injured than the average team, we're really not.  

I was not literally saying we are the most injured team in hockey in the history of the sport. Im making a point saying that our big names go down very easily. Does that website account for 3-4 line guys going down vs 1-2 line guys going down or top pairing guys vs bottom pairings or what impact on points will be for each injury that occurs? Thats like saying Crosby being injured is the same as Joe Vitale going down. So what I am saying is man games is pointless considering Crosby is sitting at 2pts per game and Vitale is less than a point per game. So if Crosby missed 10 games thats 20 points if Vitale misses 10 games its like 2 points. My point is that we always have our Bigger names out to injury. As I pointed out in an earlier post Rutuu has played in only 2 complete seasons since 03-04 Pitkanen since 03-04 has never played a full NHL season. Now lets factory in what they make to this equation, what is their games played value to dollars earned? Or stats per game (including +/-) to dollars earned. Anyone from an accounting standpoint would realize that these numbers are awful. Your stock broker would have killed you. This same law ( lets call it JRs law of risk reward risk)  applies to all our always injured players for the most part. The team has injury issues hands down but like another guy pointed out other teams roll with it and players step up...we have the Thrice times waived Boychuck to fill shoes. Rock and roll.

Edited by Kopes2718

I still think that our problems start with our GM.  I do not think that we are going to see a difference in the mentality of the team until we cut off the head of the snake.  I just find it hard to believe that the Coaches that we have had have not been talented enough to get these professional athletes to rally behind a system and act like they give a crap.  There had to be something disabling that process IMHO.  The common denominator is JR and I would love to see a U-Haul trailer at his house this weekend!!! 

I still think that our problems start with our GM.  I do not think that we are going to see a difference in the mentality of the team until we cut off the head of the snake.  I just find it hard to believe that the Coaches that we have had have not been talented enough to get these professional athletes to rally behind a system and act like they give a crap.  There had to be something disabling that process IMHO.  The common denominator is JR and I would love to see a U-Haul trailer at his house this weekend!!! 

I'm all in for replacing the GM, the coaches, and the captains!  When the ship keeps running-a-ground, you don't replace the guys swabbing the deck.  You replace the guys navigating and steering the ship!

Yeah but we consistently have KEY players go down.  Skinner, Ruutu, Gleason, top 2 goalies, etc.

Good point Faulker. A better stat is 'salary lost due to injury' as it gives some indication of the value management places on that injured/missing player. Not a perfect metric to be sure, but better than the raw data of man games lost. I thought there was a site keeping track of salary missed years ago, but in a quick check I couldn't find it.

So, watch Semin or E.Staal get a hattie and Canes win 5-2, then how do most of the posters feel??? I am on record for getting on both STAALS.. Hoping the positive changes starts tonight..

That finish was worth it. While it looked bad, A LOT of good things, huge things, happened tonight. Now we need to hope it continues, and the bad stuff improves.

Eric and Jordan contributed and scored the tying goal in the last minute. That's the leadership we've been asking for. Then Malholtra scores on a beautiful feed by Faulk. That's capitalizing on crucial chances.

Good point Faulker. A better stat is 'salary lost due to injury' as it gives some indication of the value management places on that injured/missing player. Not a perfect metric to be sure, but better than the raw data of man games lost. I thought there was a site keeping track of salary missed years ago, but in a quick check I couldn't find it.

Perhaps this is the site you were thinking of?

http://springingmalik.blogspot.com/

There is an "season so far" analysis at the top, and an analysis of the last 5 seasons about half way down.

Perhaps this is the site you were thinking of?

http://springingmalik.blogspot.com/

There is an "season so far" analysis at the top, and an analysis of the last 5 seasons about half way down.

If that's not it, it's close. Good find invisibleCane, he's got lots of data and analysis there, something to explore later!

For the injuries, he calls the metric C.H.I.P. for cap hit of injured players. The big difference for the Canes in using that versus man games lost was last season, the Canes were 15th in man games lost, but 5th in cap hit lost. This year, our banged-up Canes are 2nd in CHIP. Maybe for the next uniform update, the Canes should replace the swirl logo with a red cross....

If that's not it, it's close. Good find invisibleCane, he's got lots of data and analysis there, something to explore later!

For the injuries, he calls the metric C.H.I.P. for cap hit of injured players. The big difference for the Canes in using that versus man games lost was last season, the Canes were 15th in man games lost, but 5th in cap hit lost. This year, our banged-up Canes are 2nd in CHIP. Maybe for the next uniform update, the Canes should replace the swirl logo with a red cross....

Oh no.....Gotta love that red cross logo :yahoo:

We can put Band Aid strips on the shoulders where the flags once were!  I like it

That finish was worth it. While it looked bad, A LOT of good things, huge things, happened tonight. Now we need to hope it continues, and the bad stuff improves.

Eric and Jordan contributed and scored the tying goal in the last minute. That's the leadership we've been asking for. Then Malholtra scores on a beautiful feed by Faulk. That's capitalizing on crucial chances.

It was Hainsey, not Faulk.  Credit where credit is due. :)

Was it pretty last night?  Not at all.  Did we get points, you bet we did.  I could care less about pretty right now.  Until we get Skinner and our goalies back, we are gonna have to grind out points.  Tough penalty for Gerbs at the end, impossible shot for Peters to save in what was by far his best effort of the year and zero let down by the team...great effort, great win and points in a division game.  Just need to keep grinding it out...hopefully this is something to build on for both the short and long term.  If we can play the up tempo style we want when healthy but also have the fortitude, ability and confidence to grind when we need to that's pretty solid. 

I love the new intro video to games. I've been waiting years for "I've Got Soul" by The Killers to be used. And that video made me feel feels.

They had that one last year on and off, but they updated it for this season. I can't help bit sing along and catch others doing the same. I think the complaints were so hearty for the muddle of pudd intro at the start that canes vision had to scramble an old one out. Miss 2008-2009 (IIRC) Burn it to the Ground though. That could get the whole arena first pumping, Nickelback or no.

This intro is better, and is a rerun of sorts though.  Quite a bit of past glory, which is fine, but is a crutch.  Perhaps they'll have something different second half.  Really not complaining, this is so much better than the "puddle of mud" (an apt description).

Hey, someone finally turned on the A/C.  It is about time.  I know it has been warm outside, but man the arena was way too warm.  Hopefully ice conditions will improve.  The puck seemed to be sliding better, but a lot of guys still went down without reason.

I don't have much to add about the game.  Hard to watch for 55 minutes.

This intro is better, and is a rerun of sorts though.  Quite a bit of past glory, which is fine, but is a crutch.  Perhaps they'll have something different second half.  Really not complaining, this is so much better than the "puddle of mud" (an apt description).

Hey, someone finally turned on the A/C.  It is about time.  I know it has been warm outside, but man the arena was way too warm.  Hopefully ice conditions will improve.  The puck seemed to be sliding better, but a lot of guys still went down without reason.

I don't have much to add about the game.  Hard to watch for 55 minutes.

... make that 59 minutes.

... make that 59 minutes.

I actually meant 55.  I'm no Flyers fan.  But at 55, at least Gerbe did something and got an undeserved double.  And then there was SOME sort of scoring -- which it seems the Canes need to get going for some reason.

Will this team ever learn to score first again?  It has been a problem since day 1 this year.

Sasha is not at practice today. I hope its just a maintenance day.

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 20m

Alexander Semin the only player from last night missing from practice. All injured also not present

Seen a few of the injured -- Gleason, Skinner, Westgarth -- poking around RCI.

Maybe we will sign Brindy to a PTO  :wacko:

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 23m

Semin not at practice. Brind'Amour jumps in on that wing.