The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Scott Walker for head coach!!!!

still way too early in the season to call for Muller's head.  if at the season the Canes miss the playofffs yet again, the entire front office and entire coaching staf must be fired

s

I guess we are looking for a little more offense

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 12m

Canes sending Lindholm to Charlotte. Calling up Terry.

Given his injuries so far, I'd guess they might be doing it to give the kid a chance to get used to the smaller ice without as much likelihood of him getting hurt. 

How is Lindholm capable of being sent to the AHL? Isn't he too young?

I think they can send him down for a 10 game "conditioning" stint.

Edited by LakeLivin

How is Lindholm capable of being sent to the AHL? Isn't he too young?

European players aren't restricted to the age restriction unless they are drafted and signed by a North American junior team. At least thats the way I read it.

Lindholm also just skated that magic 10th NHL game where teams make decisions on rookies.

I actually meant 55.  I'm no Flyers fan.  But at 55, at least Gerbe did something and got an undeserved double.  And then there was SOME sort of scoring -- which it seems the Canes need to get going for some reason.

Will this team ever learn to score first again?  It has been a problem since day 1 this year.

You're right.

looking for positives?  Manny did slide across the ice last night and give up the body to block a shot.  That is the first time that I have seen anyone from this team do that this year.  Maybe that enthusiasm will catch on to the rest of the team.  Gerbe, fighting?  The guy had him by at least 30 lbs and 5 inches and Gerbes went off!!  ENTHUSIASM STAAL's, SEMIN, TLUSTY, get you some!!!

European players aren't restricted to the age restriction unless they are drafted and signed by a North American junior team. At least thats the way I read it.

Lindholm also just skated that magic 10th NHL game where teams make decisions on rookies.

His entry level contract kicked in with his10th game last night.

That was my understanding as well.  But I also thought there was a similar deal with the SHL where Lindholm had to go back to Sweden if we didn't keep him with the Canes (less the same 10 game AHL conditioning stint).  Notice that "thought" is in italics; I'm not positive if that's actually the case.

Not sure if I understand this situation.  

He is not ready to transition to the NHL rink.  Due to his age, he can play only a limited number of games in the AHL. Given these factors, why did we draft him?

Why did JR not pick the best player available that had a reasonable certainty of making an immediate impact on the team?

He is not ready to transition to the NHL rink.  Due to his age, he can play only a limited number of games in the AHL. Given these factors, why did we draft him?

Why did JR not pick the best player available that had a reasonable certainty of making an immediate impact on the team?

Not every 18-year old is going to tear it up in his first 10 NHL games. 

His entry level contract kicked in with his10th game last night.

That was my understanding as well.  But I also thought there was a similar deal with the SHL where Lindholm had to go back to Sweden if we didn't keep him with the Canes (less the same 10 game AHL conditioning stint).  Notice that "thought" is in italics; I'm not positive if that's actually the case.

I guess I stand corrected. I thought it kicked in after the 10th game. There are all kind of reasons he could have been sent down. I do remember early on it was said he would only play in the NHL or he would go back to Sweden but he has since said that wasn't so. If it was a conditioning stint though wouldn't the Canes have stated that?  Either way I don't expect him to be in Charlotte long.

I just looked it up and I was wrong-If a player suits up for 10 or more games, one year of his three-year entry-level contract is burned.

There was some discussion the last couple of days about "Big Changes" . So when does the hammer fall?  Coaching and GM changes have longer plans than if you win this one game you're safe.  Or was this more of a radio personality trying to get people to listen.

Just guessing here... Way back at season start it was said that Linholm and his agent accepted the fact that he might need conditioning at the AHL level.  Forslund mentioned this.

Perhaps, just perhaps, there was also an agreement as a "sign of good faith" from JR that they reach the 10 game mark if possible to proove their intent to really keep him.

Edited by wxray1

Just guessing here... Way back at season start it was said that Linholm and his agent accepted the fact that he might need conditioning at the AHL level.  Forslund mentioned this.

Perhaps, just perhaps, there was also an agreement as a "sign of good faith" from JR that they reach the 10 game mark if possible to proove their intent to really keep him.

It may be possible but poor Lindholm has had his share of significant bumps and bruises since his NHL career has started.  After taking that stick to the face last night (nice no call :rolleyes: ) its probably a good idea to send him to Charlotte right now.  It gives him a chance to heal up and still get his ice time in while learning and adjusting to the speed and intensity of the game.  He's going to be a good player for us but I'd rather see him healthy right now.

It may be possible but poor Lindholm has had his share of significant bumps and bruises since his NHL career has started.  After taking that stick to the face last night (nice no call :rolleyes: ) its probably a good idea to send him to Charlotte right now.  It gives him a chance to heal up and still get his ice time in while learning and adjusting to the speed and intensity of the game.  He's going to be a good player for us but I'd rather see him healthy right now.

TSA, I greatly respect your opinions here.  However, I kind of disagree about healing.  There are sticks to the face in the AHL.  That horrible play will also happen there.  He'll be checked and hit.  Granted, the overall force of it all should be less, perhaps helping healing.

The rest I agree with: adjusting to speed and intensity.  Also others have mentioned continued adjustment to the rink size.

He'll get a lot more TOI to make that transition.

TSA, I greatly respect your opinions here.  However, I kind of disagree about healing.  There are sticks to the face in the AHL.  That horrible play will also happen there.  He'll be checked and hit.  Granted, the overall force of it all should be less, perhaps helping healing.

The rest I agree with: adjusting to speed and intensity.  Also others have mentioned continued adjustment to the rink size.

He'll get a lot more TOI to make that transition.

You're right and he'll likely be susceptible to the same stuff in the AHL but he probably wont be targeted the same as a new top draft pick would in the NHL. At least I wouldn't think so.

Lindholm may well have been the best player available with a reasonable certainty of making an immediate impact on the team.  He'd been successful in the SHL playing against fully grown men for a season. There are no guarantees when it comes to 18 year old kids. And keep in mind that we picked 5th; MacKinnon, Barkov, and Jones were already gone. 

Second, if you think about it, that's an awfully short term perspective.  You're drafting to maximize the impact over a number of years (if not a career), not just the immediate year.  If that was the goal we'd have given up the pick for an established NHL player. It's extremely unlikely we'd have been able to get someone with Lindholm's potential ceiling in return, and we'd have paid him 2 or 3 times as much as Lindholm's entry level contract for the next three years, limiting our ability to spend elsewhere (Hainsey). 

And, now that Lindholm's entry level contract has kicked in for the year, I'd wager that he'll spend most of it in Raleigh.  The more I think about it, the more I believe that this is just a temporary move to make it a bit easier for Lindholm to adjust to the NHL game (for a number of reasons others have listed above).   

Edited by LakeLivin

I thought Lindholm might go to Charlotte to develope vs. men on smaller ice w/ a slightly slower game and on a top line.

Makes sense. Can be called back any time.

Though I wouldn't say less chance of injury in the AHL.

Maybe the Canes were waiting until Lindholm passed his drivers license test. Now he can drive himself to and from Charlotte. Its not a bad move for Lindy and should give the Canes a look at Terry again.

As always, hard to know what "close to the chest" JR is up to with the Lindholm move? Is it to benefit a young player, the preamble to a trade and showing off a possible piece or something else unrelated? The atmosphere must be as intense for JR as it is to the fans, but I'm sure that in time things will be clearer.

Had a chance to meet Chris Terry last year in Norfolk after a loss to the Admirals. Fantastic young man with a great attitude. Nothing but positive wishes for his success.