The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Here is another article stating that Carolina along whith Detroit and Philly is interested in Hainsey with the Jets.  He has a cap hit of 4.5 million and will become a FA and is willing to test the waters.  Don't know if we can compete money wise with the other teams, probably will take around 5 million and is he worth that much?

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/wpg130604.html

Edited by caniac_fan

Hainsey is supposedly pretty solid, but I've seen a fair share of negative opinions on him. Apparently he turns the puck over frequently. I'd want an O'Byrne more.

After watching Douglas Murry in the playoffs, I hope we pass. He was just terrible and I don't think he could keep up with LaRose he's so slow.

The lack of mobility is a concern, I was thinking about that earlier. It would suck if he came here and became a pylon, no matter how big that pylon is. I guess I really would prefer a medium/big type defensemen who can still skate and play defense. I will rescind my Murray wish for now. Who knows, a guy like Bellemoore might end up being better (see below).

After watching Bellemore ,hes a top 6 dman, and hes big!

I've been driving the Bellemoore bandwagon since I saw him during the season, he really did play well. I think he would pair up nicely with Harrison in our bottom pairing. His strength was good, his decision-making was good, and his skating was better than I anticipated. I just hope it doesn't come back to bite me and I end up with a wagon-wheel on my head.

Oh, and I'm sorry to hear that L.A. wants to re-sign Scuderi. I really think he is what we need and solid, consistent d-men are hard to find.

Would like to hear from anyone who is familiar with Lydman, Hainsy, or O'Byrne.

Edited by Kyrule

When JR said he was going to let his UFA go, does that also include the UFA's on the Checkers last roster of Wallace, Brett Sutter, Bellemore, and Samson? Some good depth guys, especially Bellemore, which some of you have pointed out.

As for defensemen additions, O'Byrne and Murray are usually 3rd pairing guys but I prefer O'Byrne's mobility. Yandle is a top pair, with Hainsy a 1st or 2nd pair. Meanwhile Scuderi sort of bridges the 2nd & 3rd pairing, as needed. According to the articles quoted above, If Philly goes after Yandle that would leave Carolina and Detroit looking at Hainsy. Assuming LA re-signs Scuderi, I'd love to see JR land Yandle and O'Byrne .... these guys are a great age to help the Canes for the longterm.

If JR trades a forward for Yandle perhaps he could backfill them with Bryan Bickell, if he can be had passed on his regular season performane and not just the playoffs, ie: <$3M.

Edited by Bill_B

I was wondering the same thing about the non-roster UFA. I don't think JR said he was going to let all the free agents walk I think we will sign a couple of the FA at least. I'm in on signing Bellemore and maybe Ellis.

edit..ok he did say he expects all UFA to enter the market. Hmmm. I don't know if that means the non-roster UFA's too. I guess we will let the market determine value before we decide who we want to keep.

I don't get to see a lot of other teams play, so I have found a few places on-line to gather information on players that are being discussed, which helps me get a better feel for them. It's not as good as seeing them play, but it helps. And it may be a nice reference, even for those who have seen them play, so I thought I would go ahead and post what I have found on some the the defensemen being discussed.

The information was collected from:
http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats.htm#?navid=nav-sts-indiv
http://www.behindthenet.ca
http://somekindofninja.com/nhl/usage.php
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/playerindex.cgi
http://capgeek.com/

Andrew Ference BOS
5'11", 189 lbs. Shoots Left
34 years old; 11 yrs experience
Last season's salary: $2,250,000
Assets: Displays good hockey sense. Skates very well, is fearless and can log a lot of ice time if need be. Can also play a physical game, despite his lack of size.
Flaws:     Doesn't put up great offensive totals. Tends to struggle with consistency issues in all areas of the game. Has become more prone to injury over time.
Career Potential: Savvy, mobile veteran defenseman.
Stats: 48gms 4g 9a 13pts +9 35PIM
ES TOI 821:02 (3rd); per game 17:06 (4th)
SH TOI 107:00 (4th); per game 2:13 (4th)
PP TOI 7:28 (5th); per game 0:09 (7th)
Hits: 89 (1.85/game)
Blocked Shots: 60 (1.25 per game)
Give Aways: 31 (0.65 per game)
Take Aways: 5 (0.10 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 0.8
Penalties Drawn/60: 0.2
Corsi: -7.7
RelQoC: -0.032
Offensive Zone Starts: 50.3
Offensive Zone Finishes: 52.5

Ron Hainsy WPG
 6'3", 210 lbs. Shoots Left
32 years old; 9 yrs experience
Last season's salary: $3,000,000 (4.5 cap hit)
Assets: Has excellent mobility, size and reach. Can play on either side of the ice. Displays some offensive ability. Is capable of logging a ton of minutes, if required.
Flaws:     Is far too soft for his big frame. Can go through rough stretches in all elements of the game over the course of the season. Is also somewhat brittle and inconsistent.
Career Potential: Inconsistent all-round defenseman.
Stats: 47gms 0g 13a 13p -8 10PIM
ES TOI 907:35 (1st); per game 19:18 (3rd)
SH TOI 138:54 (1st); per game 2:57 (1st)
PP TOI 27:56 (6th); per game 0:35 (7th)
Hits: 36 (0.77/game)
Blocked Shots: 123 (2.62 per game)
Give Aways: 32 (0.68 per game)
Take Aways: 8 (0.17 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 0.3
Penalties Drawn/60: 0.3
Corsi: -8.7
RelQoC: +1.144
Offensive Zone Starts: 44.2
Offensive Zone Finishes: 54.5

Toni Lydman ANA
 6'2", 213 lbs. Shoots Left
35 years old; 11 yrs experience
Last season's salary: $3,000,000
Assets: Looks after his own zone first and foremost, but also possesses some puck-moving ability. Rarely gets caught out of position and is an excellent skater.
Flaws:     Doesn't produce enough points for his skill level and, at this point in his career, probably never will. He's also not as physical as he could be. Injuries are a problem.
Career Potential: Solid veteran defenseman.
Stats: 35gms 0g 6a 6p -1 12PIM
ES TOI 597:12 (6th); per game 17:03 (5th)
SH TOI 75:36 (5th); per game 2:09 (3rd)
PP TOI 5:45 (7th); per game 0:09 (7th)
Hits: 83 (2.37/game)
Blocked Shots: 76 (2.17 per game)
Give Aways: 19 (0.54 per game)
Take Aways: 6 (0.17 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 0.5
Penalties Drawn/60: 0.0
Corsi: +5.7
RelQoC:-0.356
Offensive Zone Starts: 47.7
Offensive Zone Finishes: 47.6

Douglas Murray PIT (SJS)
 6'3", 245 lbs. Shoots Left
33 years old; 7 yrs experience
Last season's salary: $2,500,000
Assets: Can play an effective stay-at-home role and excels in penalty-killing situations. Is an awesome physical specimen and loves to dish out bone-crunching hits.
Flaws: Will never be confused with Paul Coffey in terms of his offensive ability. Must avoid taking bad penalties. Is only average in the skating department.
Career Potential: Mammoth shutdown defenseman.
Stats: 43 gms 1g 5a 6p +0 35PIM
ES TOI PIT per game 15:50 (6th)
SH TOI PIT per game 2:38 (3rd)
PP TOI PIT per game 0:01 (9th)
Hits: 89 (2.07/game)
Blocked Shots: 98 (2.28 per game)
Give Aways: 10 (0.23 per game)
Take Aways: 10 (0.23 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 0.6
Penalties Drawn/60: 0.4
Corsi: -14.3
RelQoC: -0.034
Offensive Zone Starts: 46.5
Offensive Zone Finishes: 47.3

Rob Scuderi LAK
6'1", 216 lbs. Shoots Left
34 years old; 8 yrs experience
Last season's salary: $3,400,000
Assets: Keeps the game simple on most nights and has exemplary team skills. Blocks shots and is most effective in penalty-killing situations. Can shut forwards down.
Flaws:     Doesn't own ideal puck-moving skills for the blueline position and has limited talent, overall. Struggles when handling the puck, especially when he plays on the right side.
Career Potential: Savvy veteran defensive defenseman.
Stats: 48gms 1g 11a 12p -6 4PIM
ES TOI 884:23 (3rd); per game 18:25 (4th)
SH TOI 155:06 (1st); per game 3:13 (1st)
PP TOI 6:30 (6th); per game 0:08 (8th)
Hits: 30 (0.63/game)
Blocked Shots: 66 (1.38 per game)
Give Aways: 41 (0.85 per game)
Take Aways: 6 (0.13 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 0.1
Penalties Drawn/60: 0.1
Corsi: -18
RelQoC: +0.69
Offensive Zone Starts: 48.9
Offensive Zone Finishes: 49.7

Ryan O'Byrne TOR (COL)
6'5", 234 lbs. Shoots Right
28 years old; 5 yrs experience
Salary last season: $2,000,000 (1.8 cap hit)
Assets: Has the size teams lust after at the NHL level. Is the consummate team player who also drops the gloves when needed to defend his mates. Can play a shutdown role, if required.
Flaws:     Is extremely limited in the offensive zone and makes mistakes with the puck in his own end. His mobility and coordination could use more work, too. Lacks consistency.
Career Potential: Big, solid depth defenseman.
Stats: 42gma 2g 4a 6p -4 60PIM
ES TOI TOR per game 14:26 (9th)
SH TOI TOR per game 2.43 (2nd)
PP TOI TOR per game 0:01 (9th)
Hits: 104 (2.42/game)
Blocked Shots: 69 (1.60 per game)
Give Aways: 16 (0.37 per game)
Take Aways: 9 (0.21 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 1.3
Corsi: -15.7
RelQoC: +0.235
Offensive Zone Starts: 48.0
Offensive Zone Finishes: 46.1

As long as we continue to spend more on offense than defense then our defense won't improve, IMO.  It's nice to throw names out and all but you have to give to get, particularly to add to the top defensive pairings. 

I'm not sure any of the guys on these lists are all that and then some.

Plus, we have a guy in Pitkanen that can't seem to stay on the ice (not entirely his fault, just bad luck) and another top-4 guy whose game seems to be moving to becoming average (in Gleason).   Not exactly valuable trading pieces.

JR has spent and traded us into a tough spot financially, with no relief in the short-term. 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Nice work InvisibleCane. 

On paper all of them make me a little nervous if they're being considered for a top 4 role.  Age and injury are the first things that come to mind.  I'd be less concerned with offensive output and way more concerned playing it smart in their own end, using their size to play physical and playing consistently with minimal mistakes.

We've definitely seen our share of players who don't use their size, take lazy penalties and make costly mistakes in their own end. Like you Invisible, I'm not that familiar with these guys on the ice and I'm only going by whats written above so I could be way off with my concerns.

It's funny because I was about to ask if someone had any idea about these guys. Nice info InvisibleCane. 

Crunching the numbers it looks like Toni Lydman might be the best of the lot, but he's 35....two year deal? But he's probably looking for 3? 

This is the problem w/ FA's. They tend to be guys with significant downside. Either age, or salary, or something. And if a guy gets out there like say Suter, they get mega-bucks. 

That list just doesn't inspire. 

We simply cannot be at the very bottom of the league in defense and PK. It is a guarantee out of the playoffs and even if not a first round exit. It is probably going to take a trade if we are serious about it. 

The thing is, even if we had to move a key offensive piece to get a top stud dman, that guy could pair with say Faulk as the top pair. Now Gleason/PIts is the middle pair. That would make a huge difference. 

Edited by remkin

As long as we continue to spend more on offense than defense then our defense won't improve, IMO.  It's nice to throw names out and all but you have to give to get, particularly to add to the top defensive pairings. 

Plus, we have a guy in Pitkanen that can't seem to stay on the ice (not entirely his fault, just bad luck) and another top-4 guy whose game seems to be moving to becoming average (in Gleason).   Not exactly valuable trading pieces.

JR has spent and traded us into a tough spot financially, with no relief in the short-term. 

I agree Coastal. The guys listed are really 5th or 6th on the depth chart, maybe a 4. To get a top quality d-man, JR is going to have to give something to get something. Like the article said yesterday, the Canes are interested in Yandle but will not pony-up a sufficient asset(s)....apparently Philly is thinking about it with one of their young guns.

IMO, if we get Nich or Barkov in the draft, that should make Skinner available to trade for the right defenseman,

Thanks for the great compilation, Invisible!!!

Personally I like O'Byrne as a 3rd pair. He is relatively young at 28 compared to the others and will play physical and drop the gloves if needed. I don't believe any of these guys are the top tier veteran player JR may be after to bolster our D, though.

Thanks for the great compilation, Invisible!!!

Personally I like O'Byrne as a 3rd pair. He is relatively young at 28 compared to the others and will play physical and drop the gloves if needed. I don't believe any of these guys are the top tier veteran player JR may be after to bolster our D, though.

I don't think we need to be looking at signing anyone for the 3rd pair. I think we're looking to slot Harrison there with either R. Murphy or one of the Checkers (I'd pick Bellemore). Signing a bottom-pair guy then forces someone to move up into the top 4, which was a large part of the problem this season.

Like some have posted previously, it's going to take a pretty significant trade realistically to acquire the kind of D-man we're looking for. I'm not in the camp with those that want to put Skinner out on the block though. I know you have to give to get, but that's a heck of a lot to give IMO. I feel like we can probably acquire a #4 guy for a solid prospect or two plus a relatively high pick.

I just don't see us being able to offload McBain either. Maybe some team will have enough interest to offer at least something of value, but I don't think it's very likely. If so, maybe that opens a spot for Murphy/Checker. And while many are calling for us to move Pitkanen, it simply won't happen until he's healthy (if at all).

With all that said, one would think somebody on the blue line will have to be on the way out. Otherwise, we're looking at Faulk, Gleason, Pitkanen, McBain and Harrison. That leaves one spot (possibly two if we carry 7 D-men). As much as I'd like to see McBain dropped to the 3rd pair (would help him mature and limit mistakes), I think he ends up on the 2nd. That means our new acquisition would slot down to the bottom pair, which doesn't really help.

I guess to summarize all this, I'm not seeing a simple solution to the problem on the blueline. Hopefully JR has some tricks up his sleeve to make something happen.

I don't think we need to be looking at signing anyone for the 3rd pair. I think we're looking to slot Harrison there with either R. Murphy or one of the Checkers (I'd pick Bellemore). Signing a bottom-pair guy then forces someone to move up into the top 4, which was a large part of the problem this season.

Like some have posted previously, it's going to take a pretty significant trade realistically to acquire the kind of D-man we're looking for. I'm not in the camp with those that want to put Skinner out on the block though. I know you have to give to get, but that's a heck of a lot to give IMO. I feel like we can probably acquire a #4 guy for a solid prospect or two plus a relatively high pick.

I just don't see us being able to offload McBain either. Maybe some team will have enough interest to offer at least something of value, but I don't think it's very likely. If so, maybe that opens a spot for Murphy/Checker. And while many are calling for us to move Pitkanen, it simply won't happen until he's healthy (if at all).

With all that said, one would think somebody on the blue line will have to be on the way out. Otherwise, we're looking at Faulk, Gleason, Pitkanen, McBain and Harrison. That leaves one spot (possibly two if we carry 7 D-men). As much as I'd like to see McBain dropped to the 3rd pair (would help him mature and limit mistakes), I think he ends up on the 2nd. That means our new acquisition would slot down to the bottom pair, which doesn't really help.

I guess to summarize all this, I'm not seeing a simple solution to the problem on the blueline. Hopefully JR has some tricks up his sleeve to make something happen.

You undervalue McBain awfully hard.

I wish McBain would take conditioning more seriously.  He has the tools but he comes off the summer out of shape, at least that's what I've read or it's been hinted at as an explanation of why Muller benched him early last season. 

I haven't given up on him but I think he needs to have a fresh start somewhere else.  I think he has value in a bigger deal.  I'd rather do that than give up our 35th this year in this draft.

Yes, I would only consider going for a 3rd pair d-man (or a forward) after we get a top d-man. According to JR the safe d-men are Gleason, Pits, & Faulk. Did JR mean to leave Murphy off that list? I'm sure none of the other d-men are feeling warm fuzzies from management. I just don't see how McBain is going to stay here if we get a top tier d-man; and I don't see Harrison sticking around if we get a gritty 3rd pair guy. Can see Bellemore and Murphy as a 6th & 7th d-man....depending on what's needed.

Pits - Faulk

Gleason - New Guy/McBain

Harrison/Gritty Guy - Murphy

Bellemore

IMO, without the acquisitions of better player or two the Canes will bee the same defense with even less experience with SMurphy and Bellemore. I'd love to see Bellemore turned into a homegrown physical, hard-hitting, shot-blocking d-man!

Edited by Bill_B

You have outlined the reason why I expect Skinner to be traded this summer. I know it's heresy, but JR needs that money for defense. Uncle Jimmy is going to have to pay Faulk next year too. He's going to draft another skilled forward in a few weeks.

You have outlined the reason why I expect Skinner to be traded this summer. I know it's heresy, but JR needs that money for defense. Uncle Jimmy is going to have to pay Faulk next year too. He's going to draft another skilled forward in a few weeks.

I agree super_dave. IMO, the only possible alternative to trading Skinner is to bundle Tlusty & McBain for a d-man. In fact, top d-men are in such demand, JR may have to bundle McBain even with Skinner. If we trade one of our forwards, I only ask JR to send them West, ie: Keith or Seabrook from CHI or Yandle from PHX, etc.!

And just pointing one thing out in Invisible's great list,  only O'Byrne is a right handed shot if you figure Faulk (Right) - Gleason (Left), Pitkanen (Left) - Right Handed List.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I hate the idea of losing Skinner, but I was wondering if we traded Skinner could we land a very good dman and a team's first round pick this year.

I agree super_dave. IMO, the only possible alternative to trading Skinner is to bundle Tlusty & McBain for a d-man. In fact, top d-men are in such demand, JR may have to bundle McBain even with Skinner. If we trade one of our forwards, I only ask JR to send them West, ie: Keith or Seabrook from CHI or Yandle from PHX, etc.!

I don't understand you guys. We finally draft an elite forward and three years later the trade rumors begin. I understand he's moveable, but JR just signed this kid to an extension. Everyone seems to ignore the fact we have two compliance buyouts, and unless JR wants to make a stupid trade (a la losing Skinner or Tlusty + McBain) he may have to use one on someone, like say Pitkanen or Ruutu. 

Skinner is too young to value correctly, plus he has too much upside still even with his setbacks (he's not the first player to have setbacks by the way). Any deal involving him may haunt the franchise for the foreseeable future. 

Same thing with Tlusty. This guy is breaking out into a potential 40g guy, perfect compliment to Semin and Staal. No way JR trades Tlusty. 

Another thing I don't get is why everyone expects McBain is unmovable unless he's packaged with Tlusty. He has value, although it's not huge, it's there and people will make a real hockey trade for him if the situation is right. We're going to have to move some defensemen if we expect to bring up Murphy, Bellemore, and acquire at least one new defenseman. 

Another thing most fans do is over exaggerate our weaknesses. Yes our defense is weak, but we were one of the better teams in the east with LAST YEARS DEFENSE when Ward was healthy. Imagine just a slight improvement on the backend with all the same forwards PLUS fifth overall. Not to mention we wont have plugs like Brent or LaRose on the roster anymore, and those spots will go to prospects/young guys in the system like they should have all along. And Corvo and Sanguinetti are walking, that's improving our defense without even adding anyone yet.

Plus theres' the chance we sign a better backup goalie than Ellis. And Ellis was our best backup for a long time.

You have to give to get, but in JR's case that's exactly why he won't make a trade involving Skinner or Tlusty. There's a free agency coming up that'll be pretty different with compliance buyouts coming. JR's not moving them unless it's a legit top pairing dman, but no one's stupid enough to trade one to us for Skinner. A top pairing dman is worth more to a team than a young superstar offensive minded player. This is why I understand the feeling of trading them, but like I said, no one's moving their top pairing dman, not for Skinner or Tlusty. 

I'll eat crow if it does happen, but I think we have better chances getting JR to bring back the old jerseys.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Glad the information was helpful.

Here's the same information on the Hurricanes defesemen that played 20+ games this season, for comparison and to help put the numbers in prespective.

Jamie McBain
6'2", 200 lbs. Shoots Right
25 years old; 3 yrs experience
Next season's salary: $1,900,000 (RFA in 2014.)
Assets: Has good size and a lot of offensive ability. Owns good vision for the man advantage unit. Displays the poise, positioning know-how and skill set to log plenty of minutes on the ice.
Flaws: Needs to tighten up his defensive-zone coverage in order to maximize his potential at the highest level. Also needs to keep working on adding more strength to his 6-2 frame.
Career Potential: Offensive defenseman with upside.
Stats: 40gms 1g 7a 8pts +0 12PIM
ES TOI 652:34 (4th); per game 16:18 (5th)*
SH TOI 30:58 (6th); per game 0:46 (8th)
PP TOI 53:26 (4th); per game 1:20 (5th)*
Hits: 22 (0.55/game)
Blocked Shots: 63 (1.58 per game)
Give Aways: 18 (0.45 per game)
Take Aways: 8 (0.20 per game)
Penalties Drawn/60: 0.6
Corsi: +6.7
RelQoC: +0.271
OZS: 55.8
OZF: 53.7

Tim Gleason
6'0", 217 lbs. Shoots Left
30 years old; 8 yrs experience
This season's salary: $4,500,000 (UFA in 2016.)
Assets: Is capable of playing a shutdown role, due to a combination of hockey sense, mobility and an aggressive nature. Also has a little offensive acumen. A good team player, he always works extremely hard and sacrifices his body.
Flaws: Doesn't take enough shots to be a key contributor at the point on the power play, nor does he take full advantage of his skill-set on offense. At times, he can be overly aggressive when lining players up for the big hit.
Career Potential: Solid shutdown defenseman.
Stats: 42gms 0g 9a 9pts -3 40PIM
ES TOI 699.24 (2nd); per game 16:39 (4th)*
SH TOI 117:42 (1st); per game 2:48 (2nd)
PP TOI 4:44 (9th); per game 0:06 (8th)*
Hits: 90 (2.14/game)
Blocked Shots: 64 (1.52 per game)
Give Aways: 11 (0.26 per game)
Take Aways: 10 (0.24 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 0.2
Corsi: -11.5
RelQoC: +0.85
OZS: 43.4
OZF: 49.0

Joni Pitkanen
6'3", 210 lbs. Shoots Left
29 years old; 8 yrs experience
This season's salary: $4,500,000 (UFA in 2014.)
Assets: Has tremendous size and strength for the blueline position. Oozes offensive instincts and displays great skating ability for a 6-3, 210-pound defenseman. Is an asset on the point with the man advantage.
Flaws: Lacks consistency in all areas of the game. Doesn't do nearly a good-enough job of keeping opponents honest with his big frame, and generally lacks grit. Is somewhat fragile and prone to getting injured.
Career Potential: Inconsistent big-minute defenseman.
Stats: 22gms 1g 8a 9pts +2 12PIM
ES TOI 394:05 (7th); per game 17:54 (2nd)*
SH TOI 37:45 (5th); per game 1:42 (5th)
PP TOI 70:09 (3rd); per game 3:11 (1st)
Hits: 16 (0.73/game)
Blocked Shots: 34 (1.55 per game)
Give Aways: 12 (0.55 per game)
Take Aways: 11 (0.50 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 0.8
Penalties Drawn/60: 0.5
Corsi: +1.1
RelQoC: +0.813
OZS: 54.6
OZF: 56.1

Justin Faulk
6'0", 215 lbs. Shoots Right
21 years old; 1 yr experience
Next season's salary: $890,000 (RFA in 2014.)
Assets: Has tremendous skating ability, a wealth of offensive acumen and good shot. Is plenty confident with the puck on his blade. Plays a smart, mature, safe game, tending to the small details.
Flaws: Needs to continue working on his defensive-zone coverage, as well as his decision-making quickness. Is sturdy and strong, but lacks ideal National Hockey League size.
Career Potential: Talented offensive defenseman with upside.
Stats: 38gms 5g 10a 15pts +1 15PIM
ES TOI 698:22 (3rd); per game 18:22 (1st)*
SH TOI 113:23 (2nd); per game 2:59 (1st)
PP TOI 100:33 (1st); per game 2:38 (3rd)
Hits: 63 (1.66/game)
Blocked Shots: 47 (1.24 per game)
Give Aways: 26 (0.68 per game)
Take Aways: 24(0.63 per game)
Corsi: -5.4
RelQoC: +0.897
OZS: 45.5
OZF: 51.0

Jay Harrison
6'4", 211 lbs. Shoots Left
30 years old; 6 yrs experience
Next season's salary: $1,500,000 (UFA in 2016.)
Assets: Has big-league size and strength. Displays the profile of a classic stay-at-home blueliner with defensive and physical prowess.
Flaws: Can struggle with speedy forwards. Not a punishing hitter, despite ample size, he needs to keep his game simple because of his average skill set.
Career Potential: Big depth defenseman.
Stats: 47gms 3g 7a 10pts -109 51PIM
ES TOI 811:33 (1st); per game 17:16 (3rd)*
SH TOI 100:28 (3rd); per game 2:08 (3rd)
PP TOI 23:39 (6th); per game 0:30 (7th)*
Hits: 83 (1.77/game)
Blocked Shots: 110 (2.34 per game)
Give Aways: 24 (0.51 per game)
Take Aways: 12 (0.26 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 1.0
Corsi: -3.9
RelQoC: +0.646
OZS: 55.0
OZF: 50.7

Joe Corvo
6'0", 204 lbs. Shoots Right
35 years old; 9 yrs experience
Last season's salary: $2,000,000 (UFA.)
Assets: Has excellent scoring acumen from the back end and can run an effective power play due to a big-time shot from the point and good offensive instincts.
Flaws: Plays a somewhat risky game, which often leads to a slew of turnovers. His defensive-zone coverage leaves a lot to be desired and he isn't very physical either.
Career Potential: Offensive defenseman with defensive issues.
Stats: 40gms 6g 11a 17pts -3 14PIM
ES TOI 630:59 (5th); per game 15:46 (6th)*
SH TOI 28:54 (7th); per game 0:43 (9th)
PP TOI 90:29 (2nd); per game 2:15 (4th)
Hits: 27 (0.68/game)
Blocked Shots: 38 (0.95 per game)
Give Aways: 20 (0.50 per game)
Take Aways: 15 (0.38 per game)
Corsi: -4.0
RelQoC: +0.149
OZS: 55.1
OZF: 51.9

Bobby Sanguinetti
6'3", 190 lbs. Shoots Right
25 years old; 2 yrs experience
Last season's salary: $700,000 (UFA.)
Assets: Has a good frame and a wealth of offensive acumen. Can be very effective quarterbacking his team's power play. Can score goals from the back end, too.
Flaws: Needs to continue to improve his defensive-zone coverage and bulk up more to better line up against bigger pro forwards. Must limit his mistakes with the puck.
Career Potential: Offensive depth defenseman with a little upside.
Stats: 37gms 2g 4a 6pts -6 4PIM
ES TOI 481:26 (5th); per game 13:00 (7th)*
SH TOI 42:58 (4th); per game 1:09 (6th)
PP TOI 21:27 (7th); per game 0:34 (6th)*
Hits: 50 (1.35/game)
Blocked Shots: 40 (1.08 per game)
Give Aways: 12 (0.32 per game)
Take Aways: 12 (0.32 per game)
Penalties Taken/60: 0.1
Penalties Drawn/60: 0.9
Corsi: +16.1
RelQoC: -0.362
OZS: 62.1
OZF: 55.0

Marc-Andre Bergeron
5'9", 190 lbs. Shoots Left
32 years old; 9 yrs experience
Last season's salary: $1,000,000 (UFA.)
Assets: Has the ability to rack up points on the power play because of a huge point shot. Makes a crisp first pass out of the defensive zone and joins the rush with aplomb. Can also play wing. Is very heady on offense.
`Flaws: It's a struggle for him to receive regular ice time as a defenseman because he turns he puck over a lot and isn't great in defensive-zone coverage. At 5-9, 198 pounds, he'll always have trouble handling big NHL forwards.
Career Potential: Versatile power-play specialist with a big point shot.
Stats: 25gms 1g 8a 9pts -4 9PIM
ES CAR TOI per game 11:52 (8th)*
SH CAR TOI per game 0:09 (10th)
PP CAR TOI per game 3:02 (2nd)
Hits: 16 (0.64/game)
Blocked Shots: 19 (0.76 per game)
Give Aways: 11 (0.44 per game)
Take Aways: 7 (0.28 per game)
Corsi: +19.4
RelQoC: -0.891
OZS: 74.7
OZF: 58.3

*  Excluding Murphy, who played enough minutes in his four games to end up first in even strength TOI per game, 7th SH TOI/game and 5th PP TOI/game.

I just don't believe we are trading Skinner. I understand that he has the value in a big deal but  I don't think JR is looking for the "BIG" deal. I think we want a steady and proven top 4 D-man but not a headline grabbing elite Dman.  Skinner at times last year looked like he was finding his game again. He is too young and too talented to give up on.

Yes, I would only consider going for a 3rd pair d-man (or a forward) after we get a top d-man. According to JR the safe d-men are Gleason, Pits, & Faulk. Did JR mean to leave Murphy off that list? I'm sure none of the other d-men are feeling warm fuzzies from management. I just don't see how McBain is going to stay here if we get a top tier d-man; and I don't see Harrison sticking around if we get a gritty 3rd pair guy. Can see Bellemore and Murphy as a 6th & 7th d-man....depending on what's needed.

Pits - Faulk

Gleason - New Guy/McBain

Harrison/Gritty Guy - Murphy

Bellemore

IMO, without the acquisitions of better player or two the Canes will bee the same defense with even less experience with SMurphy and Bellemore. I'd love to see Bellemore turned into a homegrown physical, hard-hitting, shot-blocking d-man!

In regard to Murphy, I expect that the hope is to sign MAB to a 1 year deal and let Murphy start next year in the AHL...he still needs to develop and rushing a player, even one as talented as Murphy is, makes little sense.  MAB is a good asset to have as a PP specialist and if Murphy is ready at mid-season, MAB would be pretty easy to move.  I wouldn't be surprised at all to see us with 7 D to start the season

Faulk    Gleason

Pits       New guy

Harrison McBain/Bellemore/New Guy

MAB

I just don't believe we are trading Skinner. I understand that he has the value in a big deal but I don't think JR is looking for the "BIG" deal. I think we want a steady and proven top 4 D-man but not a headline grabbing elite Dman. Skinner at times last year looked like he was finding his game again. He is too young and too talented to give up on.

I'm not saying that I want to see Skinner traded, nor am I trying to start trade rumors. What I am saying is that JR is going to have to find the money somewhere for that top 4 guy and he has to think of paying Faulk. JR tried to build the team around forwards, Ward (********-**-****), and a bargain basement defense. I think he finally sees that will not work in the current NHL, especially in our new division.

Edited by super_dave_1