The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Sounds like more support for extension of 4 on 4 more than 3 on 3.  Does any league anywhere do 3 on 3? That's a lot of ice out there to play full court 3 on 3. Could be exciting, but not that much more normal hockey than the shootout is.

SPHL does 3 on 3 straight away.  FireAntz.

.Dreger: Maple Leafs have had talks with Hurricanes about John-Michael Liles, but nothing imminent.

Why would we be talking with a team about a defenseman?  Appears to me that we have one too many now.  Not sure I buy this rumor.

.Dreger: Maple Leafs have had talks with Hurricanes about John-Michael Liles, but nothing imminent.

Why would we be talking with a team about a defenseman?  Appears to me that we have one too many now.  Not sure I buy this rumor.

JR has had a mancrush on Liles for years going back to his time in Colorado but I really can't see us being in the market for a D at the present time.

My preference is Regulation (win=3pts) followed by a 5 min 4-on-4 (win=3 pts), followed by a 5 min 3-on-3 (win=2 pts since it is so different from "regular" hockey), followed by a shootout (win=2 pts). OT/ shootout loss=1 pt.  Can you imagine the excitement of 3 on 3 hockey? 

Oh, and while we're asking, open up the game by making the rink international size! (yeah, I know it's not going to happen due to arena designs and lost ticket revenues).

Edit: fixed 'points'; I realized they didn't make sense after reading Rem's post below.

Edited by LakeLivin

SPHL does 3 on 3 straight away.  FireAntz.

Any idea how well it works? 

I am on record somewhere back a couple of years ago in favor of the 3 point system. 

Yes, 3 points is a weird number of points, but no weirder than some games being worth 3 total points and some 2 total points. That is truly odd.

3 points to the winner of any part of the tame where hockey is played. Regulation, 4 on 4, and 3 on 3.

2 points to the winner of shootout, 1 point to the shootout loser.

I am not as massively anti shoot out as some. Of course I hate that we lose them all, so that has factored in. But teams are not playing indefinite OT's in regular season, too grueling. So at some point you either have a shootout or a tie. I hate ties. I never wear them.

I definitely don't see us as having one too many now.  Given that mgmt essentially doesn't play him at all, I've got to believe that Komisarek is no longer effective at the NHL level except as maybe an emergency backup.  I hope that's wrong and I'd love to hear any theories to the contrary (does JR or PK have a teenage daughter, lol?).  That leaves us with 7 D-men, and we've seen how quickly injuries can deplete the roster.  I'm not saying we should go after Liles, just that I think our D situation isn't exactly bullet proof. 

I definitely don't see us as having one too many now.  Given that mgmt essentially doesn't play him at all, I've got to believe that Komisarek is no longer effective at the NHL level except as maybe an emergency backup.  I hope that's wrong and I'd love to hear any theories to the contrary (does JR or PK have a teenage daughter, lol?).  That leaves us with 7 D-men, and we've seen how quickly injuries can deplete the roster.  I'm not saying we should go after Liles, just that I think our D situation isn't exactly bullet proof. 

I wasn't referring to Komisarek, I was referring to Gleason.  As well as the D is playing now, who do you move out when he is ready to come back?  Just saying, you add another D man to that situation?  I agree with the injury situation, but how many can you have making that kind of money with the budget that we spend?  It would make more sense and cents to trade a D man for an offensively gifted forward, giving that situation would even exist.  That's why I am in the insurance industry and JR doesn't call me for advice I guess.

Here is hoping that Skinner returns soon, ticked off and ready to go on a scoring rampage. Imagine lines 2, 3 and 4 being productive at the same time. Eventually, the first line has got to start clicking. Could be a lot of fun to watch!!

I wasn't referring to Komisarek, I was referring to Gleason.  As well as the D is playing now, who do you move out when he is ready to come back?  Just saying, you add another D man to that situation?  I agree with the injury situation, but how many can you have making that kind of money with the budget that we spend?  It would make more sense and cents to trade a D man for an offensively gifted forward, giving that situation would even exist.  That's why I am in the insurance industry and JR doesn't call me for advice I guess.

Here is hoping that Skinner returns soon, ticked off and ready to go on a scoring rampage. Imagine lines 2, 3 and 4 being productive at the same time. Eventually, the first line has got to start clicking. Could be a lot of fun to watch!!

Yeah, but I want the active roster to include 7 D-men I feel comfortable having out there at any point in time.  Even if it's minor dings, this is hockey and one of the active D-men is likely to be out for a game or two at any given time.  I don't want to compromise the D when that happens.

I agree, can't wait for Skinner to return! 

That last game I saw Komi play was the LA game way back when, and he played great I thought. Responsible defensively, made smart passes, didn't turn the puck over, and layed out some MASSIVE hits that got the crowd involved. Still don't understand why he's not playing.

That last game I saw Komi play was the LA game way back when, and he played great I thought. Responsible defensively, made smart passes, didn't turn the puck over, and layed out some MASSIVE hits that got the crowd involved. Still don't understand why he's not playing.

I so agree Sucka, this just does not make much sense, and would love for one of our team spokesmen (ie, Maniscalco or Forsland) to explain the situation. Perhaps there is something we are not privy to?

Skinnnnnnneeeeeeerrrrrrr! 

Also speculation that Ward is ready to back up! 

No matter what some may thing of Ward, I think we can all agree he's better than Mike Murphy.

From the N & O blog:

In the past four games at PNC Arena, Peters has stopped 110 of 114 shots for a save percentage of .965.

Anyone see that coming?

Despite the rebound machine, the man is getting it done.

Edited by remkin

Eric Staal is a no-show at practice today. Trade looming? Lol

Gleason in full contact jersey. Skinner & Westgarth in yellow jerseys.

Chip says that Skinner is centering Tlusty and Semin and is looking good doing it.  Could we be that lucky??  :pray:  Not getting my hopes up on that one.  Probably a maintenance day...or has Muller been giving the authority to get someone's attention?  Glad to see Skinner back! 

I don't think that we need to mess with the second and fourth lines at this point, they seem to be gathering steam and feeding off of one another.  I think they should try any and every combination with the first and third line until they hit on something that produces.  Maybe the Captain needs a little third line reality check for a while.  If it puts points on the board, why not.  Maybe going against the other teams less desirable defensive pairings will help him start scoring and gives him the confidence back.  Even though I do not like him, I will give him credit against the Avalanche, he seemed to pick up his level of play during that game. 

Tlusty  Skinner  Semin

Gerbe  J Staal  Dwyer

E Staal  Nash   Ruutu

As the coach of the opposing team, who do you match your best D pairing with in this lineup?  Seems it would create opportunities for us.

If Skinner is looking great centering Semin and Tlusty, I'd say we give it a shot.

Can you imagine how awesome a Staal-Staal-Gerbe line would be?

Those are 2 sick lines.

No doubt and then a 3rd line of Dwyer Lindholm Ruutu ain't too shabby either. 

If Peters wasn't dropping so many rebounds this would be a 100% sure call that you ride Peters until the mojo is gone. However, Peters is going to get those rebounds crammed down his throat one of these nights so it'll be interesting to see how Muller calls this.

My opinion is our defense has learned a valuable lesson moving forward in clearing the crease from Professor Peters.

Just learned that Red Wings placed Patrick Eaves on waivers. He was always one of my favorites. Wonder how he'd look on 4th line with Manny and Dvorak. I think he would be a good Muller type guy.

Always loved  Eaves!  Does he  have gas left in tank?...    go gerbs go!

Can we get Laddie back too??:) Great news on Skinner, and now the inevitable  ward-pete dawg  debates will start.. time for the Excedrin :)

Eric Staal is a no-show at practice today. Trade looming? Lol

Gleason in full contact jersey. Skinner & Westgarth in yellow jerseys.

PK would shoot JR first!!!

dinz, from what I've seen, he does have "gas in the tank", but seems somewhat injury prone. Also, he's a UFA after this year. No matter to me, but wonder if he'd sign for a couple more at reasonable amt. to bolster the bottom 6? Also, from what I garner, he does score. Again, I see him as a Muller type player, with some feistiness. Kind of reminds me of Ruutu-lite!

My opinion is our defense has learned a valuable lesson moving forward in clearing the crease from Professor Peters.

I was thinking the same thing. Get Ward back and we might never give up a rebound goal ever again. If it starts slipping, just put Peters back in there until they clean it up again.