OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Here's how I see it...

Tlusty - Eric - Sasha

Playmaker (Drouin) - Jordan - Ruu

Big Guy (Nichushkin)  - Skinner - Dwyer

Wallace - Nash - Westgarth, Blanchard

Faulk - Gleason

Murray - Harrison/ New Guy (Jones, Ristolainen)

Sanguinetti - Bellemore

Ward

Ellis

I think if we get elite talent we shop skinner. Leave Nash at the 3rd line center and bring someone up from Charlotte for our 4th line. Maybe Jared staal makes the team as a 4th liner if he can perform like he did the last 2 games everynight

On signing LaRose, I think I can sum it up.

If he takes under a million, you get him. He's a guy that the team likes and the fans generally like. He grinds and has been loyal to this team, especially at his last contract.

But he needs to score to make over a million. You let him walk for any 7 figure offer he makes.

Maybe Jared staal makes the team as a 4th liner if he can perform like he did the last 2 games everynight

Put him with Rosey on the 4th line wings.

On signing LaRose, I think I can sum it up.

If he takes under a million, you get him. He's a guy that the team likes and the fans generally like. He grinds and has been loyal to this team, especially at his last contract.

But he needs to score to make over a million. You let him walk for any 7 figure offer he makes.

Yep...and I think he'll take it...cause he probably knows no other team will give him a serious look.

I can't believe we are on the offseason topic already.  The endless discussion begins again.  Lockout nightmares return...

Oh how I prefer to watch hockey so much more.

:crybaby:

I think it's pert near impossible for any of us to have a clue about what goes on in the locker room.  I think the team awarding Gleason says a lot.  I've been critical of Gleason's play this year, but apparently he has been fighting off/playing through some things. 

A broken foot is what was reported. He hardly missed any time. That guy is tough as nails if that's true

Yeah, we know about the foot. I'd bet it's even more though.

These are the exit interviews with the press. The important exit interviews with management starts tomorrow.

Any idea if there will be video?

No idea. Jim Rutherford/Kirk Muller end of year analysis should take place later in the week. I read tomorrow but maybe it is more toward the end of the week.

For those of you who watched, what did you think of Ellis' exit interview?

Im still on the fence as whether I personally would like to see him back next year. He sounded very impressed with the way this organization is run from the top down, as well as the coaching.

I think he wants to stay for several reasons, most of all he sounds tired of moving around and Raleigh is a good nesting spot.  Anyone who knows anything about hockey can see Carolina has the talent to win, and win consistently.  He's acknowledging that in the interview and he sounds like he wants to be a part of the team because he thinks there is a future of success in Raleigh.  I was surprised with how impressed Ellis was with Greg Stefan, called him the best goalie coach he'd ever worked with.  I'm sure Ellis has had a LOT of goalie coaches in his life.  There's another reason why he would want to stay.

I hope he does.  I trust him in net much more than I do Peters.  Hate to say it, but that's the truth.

I was impressed with Ellis's exit interview also. I liked his attitude. I hope we keep him to back Cam up. I also wonder which players beside Gleason were playing through some serious injuries.

I was impressed with Ellis's exit interview also. I liked his attitude. I hope we keep him to back Cam up. I also wonder which players beside Gleason were playing through some serious injuries.

Ellis.

Ellis.

Semin

I think he wants to stay for several reasons, most of all he sounds tired of moving around and Raleigh is a good nesting spot.  Anyone who knows anything about hockey can see Carolina has the talent to win, and win consistently.  He's acknowledging that in the interview and he sounds like he wants to be a part of the team because he thinks there is a future of success in Raleigh.  I was surprised with how impressed Ellis was with Greg Stefan, called him the best goalie coach he'd ever worked with.  I'm sure Ellis has had a LOT of goalie coaches in his life.  There's another reason why he would want to stay.

I hope he does.  I trust him in net much more than I do Peters.  Hate to say it, but that's the truth.

I'm sorry, but I have to disagree that the Canes have the talent to win consistently. We had only one line that scored consistently, and the D, even when healthy, was fair, at the best. The prospects that came up from Charlotte were not impressive at the NHL level. I believe we would have made the playoffs if they had remained healthy, but , if anything, this season showed that the Canes have very little organizational depth, and are one or two injuries away from the bottom. The Sens probably had more injuries to key players, but they are in the playoffs.

The Sens have a great AHL team from which to draw players---didn't they

win the Calder Cup last year.? That is why they are in the playoffs !

The Sens have a great AHL team from which to draw players---didn't they

win the Calder Cup last year.? That is why they are in the playoffs !

That was the Norfolk Admirals, who at the time were part of the Tampa Bay system. 

All was not sunshine and roses even during the good times this season.  Recall the slow start (again!).  Recall the bad PP and PK that they simply managed to get through.

I was hoping Muller could change the culture of slow starts and bad finishes when the pressure is on.  Since he hasn't really had the full chance, I'm giving another try next season.  For those of us who think the team has enough to be a contender, well, those are still items that need to be addressed.  (I guess the guys with the C's and A's have a part here too, right?)

Edited by wxray1