The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Our biggest trade asset right now is our number 5 pick.  I know we want Nich or Barkov but as rem pointed out what good is Nich if we don't fix the defense. Skinner was a #1 pick and still shows great promise to live up to our expectations, Tlusty is so important  to the first line he would be difficult to replace. I don't think we are going to trade any of the other top 6. Ruutu could come into play later if our season is a bust.

On defense Joni can't be traded or bought out while he is hurt. Gleason is the kind of player we want so why trade him. Harrison is a possibility but although not perfect he fits the role of 3rd pair perfectly. McBain still has so much promise IMO but I think his time with us is over. IMO he is a likely trade combined with a prospect and a pick.

McBain + Prospect + 1st round pick exchange for a top D and later 1st rounder.  McBain + Prospect could get you that veteran solid top D-man.  You would need to find a trade partner  that either wanted the #5 pick or a team that needs to dump salary.

On Smurf. I think he is NHL ready.

I disagree. We may be strapped this year, but Pitkanen's a UFA after this season which gives us 4.5 million. Then Jokinen's retained salary runs out and we gain another 900k. If we still have McBain he's an RFA and we gain 1.8million in space as well. 7.2 million in space, and I highly doubt all of it goes into resigning Tlusty and Faulk. So JR is going to get a decently priced top-4 guy this offseason and potentially unload McBain as well. I don't think we need to rush things. We traded our 8th overall last year, and now we have a 5th overall in one of the most talented drafts in a long time. If JR trades his pick, even if we get another first rounder in the return, you can't expect long term success. You wonder why we don't have prospects living up to expectations, we've been trading any successful ones we get. It'd be a huge mistake to not draft whoever is there, Barkov, Nichushkin, Drouin, whoever. 

JR trading this years draft pick is obvious impatience. We have to wait and see who is bought out and who is getting shopped. There's going to be big player movement this summer, we've already seen it starting. If we trade a top ten pick two years in a row my brain would tell me to pick a new team to follow. I don't want Carolina to be the next Florida Panthers. But of course my heart wouldn't let me and I'd be stuck being a miserable 'Canes fan watching my team make the same mistakes over and over until they get booted out of Carolina and end up in friggin' Canada.

Not to mention a top five drafted player, Nich, Barkov, or Drouin or whomever, will be an elite player, sell jerseys, and be cheap on an ELC for three years, which allows us to either let someone play out their contract in the top-6 and have that drafted player shift up into their spot, or someone plays themselves into a trade out of town.

We had no secondary scoring last year and almost made it, if only Ward didn't go down. Why would you not want to take an elite young player who will most certainly add secondary scoring on an ELC. I know the injury thing is being played out, but it's true. Ask any sports writer, they'll tell you we'd have made the post-season and won our division if Ward didn't get injured. So with only a modest priced top-4 guy, letting a few blueliners walk, and introducing a couple from our system to the big time roster, we will have changed our defense pretty well without spending copious amounts of money. Not to mention an actual training camp to really let our team understand/buy into the system Muller is trying to sell.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Briere and Bryz bring bought out by the Flyers.

No interest in Bryz as back up but Briere could be a nice vet forward to bring in if the price isn't too high.  I'd imagine he would be taking a pay cut compared to what he is making now.

Reading Legends comment about being in Raleigh and NTC's, I started thinking it will be tough, if not impossible, to trade for a top-tier d-man. Most, if not all, top d-men have some form of NTC/NMC.

Guess SuckaPunchd is right and JR will have to go UFA or buyout castoffs route and settle for a mid-level d-man. This could still make us better than this year but probably not where we need to be ... unless our offense can win a lot of 6-5, 5-4 games next year.

I disagree. We may be strapped this year, but Pitkanen's a UFA after this season which gives us 4.5 million. Then Jokinen's retained salary runs out and we gain another 900k. If we still have McBain he's an RFA and we gain 1.8million in space as well. 7.2 million in space, and I highly doubt all of it goes into resigning Tlusty and Faulk. So JR is going to get a decently priced top-4 guy this offseason and potentially unload McBain as well. I don't think we need to rush things. We traded our 8th overall last year, and now we have a 5th overall in one of the most talented drafts in a long time. If JR trades his pick, even if we get another first rounder in the return, you can't expect long term success. You wonder why we don't have prospects living up to expectations, we've been trading any successful ones we get. It'd be a huge mistake to not draft whoever is there, Barkov, Nichushkin, Drouin, whoever. 

JR trading this years draft pick is obvious impatience. We have to wait and see who is bought out and who is getting shopped. There's going to be big player movement this summer, we've already seen it starting. If we trade a top ten pick two years in a row my brain would tell me to pick a new team to follow. I don't want Carolina to be the next Florida Panthers. But of course my heart wouldn't let me and I'd be stuck being a miserable 'Canes fan watching my team make the same mistakes over and over until they get booted out of Carolina and end up in friggin' Canada.

Not to mention a top five drafted player, Nich, Barkov, or Drouin or whomever, will be an elite player, sell jerseys, and be cheap on an ELC for three years, which allows us to either let someone play out their contract in the top-6 and have that drafted player shift up into their spot, or someone plays themselves into a trade out of town.

We had no secondary scoring last year and almost made it, if only Ward didn't go down. Why would you not want to take an elite young player who will most certainly add secondary scoring on an ELC. I know the injury thing is being played out, but it's true. Ask any sports writer, they'll tell you we'd have made the post-season and won our division if Ward didn't get injured. So with only a modest priced top-4 guy, letting a few blueliners walk, and introducing a couple from our system to the big time roster, we will have changed our defense pretty well without spending copious amounts of money. Not to mention an actual training camp to really let our team understand/buy into the system Muller is trying to sell.

I agree with this paragraph specifically.  Ward, Pits, Faulk all missed a decent to significant amount of time last season.  That's a huge loss for the team.  It put a lot of pressure on guys like Gleason, McBain, and Harrison. Getting back to full strength is key for the defense.  As I've stated before Gleason, Pits, Harrison, and Faulk are all guys that should and will stick around. Add a vet FA and bring in Murphy (and resign MAB) or another guy from the system and we should be alright.

Sucka I'm not advocating we trade down but a few posts ago I said we would be foolish to trade Skinner. It was asked how we could get our Dman. I just pointed out two options IMO how we could accomplish that and fit that player in our budget. We have been rebuilding for 5 years and I'm ready to make a go of it. JR stated the goal was to add a top 4 Dman (he didn't say elite)  and fix our depth players.

We keep focusing on our draft failures but we have Skinner, Staal, Ward and Faulk that are a success through the draft. Murphy could be and I have hopes for Rask. We also traded a 1st round prospect for Tlusty. I think we have done ok developing draft players. We need to add some experience to this team.

I do agree what we do this off-season is probable a temporary fix. I see more changes after next season too.

Here a stat against the "defense just needs a tweak":

Year: Goals Against Average: Outcome:

12-13   #29:  out of playoffs 5th worst record in league

11-12:  #25:  out of playoffs 8th worst record in league

10-11:  #21:  out of playoffs

09-10:  #26:  out of playoffs

08-09:  #8     Eastern Conference Finals

07-08:  #25:  out of playoffs

We may not need and overhaul but we need a very very solid shutdown defenseman and hope the shuffling others down will work. Personally I think we could get by with that this year, but are any of the available FA good enough? And if you really want to make a cup run, getting by is not enough.

If we could trade for a VERY solid NHL dman and give up McBain (addition by subtraction anyway) and one of our "never quite gets there" prospects and still pick mid first round? I'd do it.

I love the idea of adding Nich. And maybe there is another way, but whatever happens, the plan of hoping and crossing our fingers that our paper thin, no top tier guy defense by committee will get us there is NOT WORKING.

Also the constant theme of making cap space is missing a big reality. With a few very very expensive exceptions, most NHL free agents have serious downside. They are mostly depth players. And those that are not are not only expensive but get to pick where they go.  And we are not exactly elite FA magnets. Thinking that making cap space will get us the next Ryan Suter is like thinking that cleaning your house and car will land you a super model. 

Some real asset will have to go. Ruutu, McBain and our Second rounder for a Solid shut downer? I don't know. 

If we can drop down in the draft and maybe give up our second and McBain,  and get a proven NHL dman now, and get a possible stud: Nurse, Risto, Zadorov. In a couple of years we could have no major weaknesses. 

We gotta get at least one Dman that can step in this year some how. 

Edited by remkin

Here a stat against the "defense just needs a tweak":

Year: Goals Against Average: Outcome:

12-13   #29:  out of playoffs 5th worst record in league

11-12:  #25:  out of playoffs 8th worst record in league

10-11:  #21:  out of playoffs

09-10:  #26:  out of playoffs

08-09:  #8     Eastern Conference Finals

07-08:  #25:  out of playoffs

We may not need and overhaul but we need a very very solid shutdown defenseman and hope the shuffling others down will work. Personally I think we could get by with that this year, but are any of the available FA good enough? And if you really want to make a cup run, getting by is not enough.

If we could trade for a VERY solid NHL dman and give up McBain (addition by subtraction anyway) and one of our "never quite gets there" prospects and still pick mid first round? I'd do it.

I love the idea of adding Nich. And maybe there is another way, but whatever happens, the plan of hoping and crossing our fingers that our paper thin, no top tier guy defense by committee will get us there is NOT WORKING.

Also the constant theme of making cap space is missing a big reality. With a few very very expensive exceptions, most NHL free agents have serious downside. They are mostly depth players. And those that are not are not only expensive but get to pick where they go.  And we are not exactly elite FA magnets. Thinking that making cap space will get us the next Ryan Suter is like thinking that cleaning your house and car will land you a super model. 

Some real asset will have to go. Ruutu, McBain and our Second rounder for a Solid shut downer? I don't know. 

If we can drop down in the draft and maybe give up our second and McBain,  and get a proven NHL dman now, and get a possible stud: Nurse, Risto, Zadorov. In a couple of years we could have no major weaknesses. 

We gotta get at least one Dman that can step in this year some how. 

You have to take those stats with a grain of salt though. There are several factors that play into that stat. Pitkanen has been continuously missing large portions of seasons due to injury, and he was supposed to be our #1 elite dman. He probably could have been too if he didn't get injured every other month.

This year we had obvious injuries, and we had second string goalies starting, of course our GAA was horrible. The past few seasons we've had real weak rosters in general. We've really beefed up our roster this past year to the point we can make up for giving up a lot of goals by scoring a lot of goals. I think there is reason to believe that stat can get better even with just some JR tweaks.

In the next offseason is where we really address our defense in my opinion. JR is going to be his noble self and let Pitkanen's contract run out. Then we have a little breathing room, and a better idea on who is working with the system Muller is implementing and who doesn't. I also think if we get off on the wrong foot next year, JR is going to actively look to trade someone for help.

I also want to say cap space isn't solely for signing people. And as far as our pick goes, picking at 5 and then waiting 'til 35th and drafting a good defenseman there could be just as good if not better than trading down and picking a dman.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

See I thought we'd land Semin and J. last year. Then do the defense this year.

If we put it off another year we run the risk of last year all over again.

See I thought we'd land Semin and J. last year. Then do the defense this year.

If we put it off another year we run the risk of last year all over again.

Pretty much, we can't go another year without retooling the defense. We need to unload Pitkanen AND McBain, Pits has only missed less then 10 games in one of his 8 NHL seasons (that one season being when he played 77 games for Philly,) making his contract unjustified. McBain we can probably wait until after training camp to see if he's actually going to play like he did in 09-10 when he impressed all of us or if we're going to have the Jamie since then on our hands, in which case he needs to be moved to either make room for a prospect or to bring in someone who can better our defense.

As far as JR being noble and letting Pits contract run out, I don't think so. I very much think JR is in the hot seat and needs to get something substantial done with the defense for this coming season, and that one way or another is going to involve moving Pitkanen. We're pay 4.5 mil to a top 4, injury prone defenseman that at best can skate around in the offensive zone with the puck for a bit before letting it get cleared or hit a stretch pass once every 10th try and at worst takes boneheaded penalties at the worst possible times and can play terribly lazy defensive hockey who hasn't even played a complete season in his entire NHL career. The justification use to be that he ate a lot of minutes but now we have Faulk leading the team in ice time which it turn means it's time to move Pits.

I am going to have to disagree with a lot of things said here. If an impact now type player is not available at 5. We trade up and secure a solid stay at home physical defense men. This team is one defense men and 2 power forwards away from being a regular playoff appearing team.

Yes, our bottom 2 lines suck. WE all realize this. But if Skinner is going to be centering our 3rd line then things are going to get interesting. Ruutu and Jordan make our 2nd line a pretty formidable presence. Our first line is insane. It's just 1-2 defensemen and a few power forwards that we are lacking.

2 30 point seasons guys that can hit and play a physical fore check would do wonders for this team. One of those guys could very well be a center that can actually win face offs. I'm fine with that. I just don't see much coming from the checkers with regards to forwards. Maybe give Staal shot on the 4th line and that's a big MAYBE. Dalpe is ok at best. Maybe someone will have a break out year.

I used to write guys off all the time until I actually witnessed what happened with Tlusty. That just blew my mind. I have more hope for our AHL defensemen than I do for our AHL forwards. If we can't get an impact now kind of forward. We trade up and secure a good defensemen that can block shots, clear the crease, hit, and skate.

I think we look solid for next year without too many changes.  I think we look really good with just a couple minor additions.  Our defense is going to get an overhaul without adding anybody.  It will be a significant overhaul if we are able to add just one.  Everybody talks about the injuries we had last season in terms of missed games, but what about the games where players were not the effective because they were playing injured? 

Gleason was playing hurt all year and it really showed.  Faulk missed some games and had a couple growing pains.  A healthy Gleason and a more experienced Faulk is a legit top pair. 

I am not now, nor have I ever been a Pitkanen fan.  I am not impressed with him when he is healthy.  I get that he is an elite skater, but he just doesn’t do that much with it.  He skates around, one on one, looking for the perfect pass and it rarely works.  He is big and strong enough to be a good defensemen, but he just doesn’t have the right mentality.  I am sure we are stuck with him for the year because I can’t see anybody willing to take him from us.  If healthy, he will be one half of our second pair.  McBain has been effective playing with Joni before and he might be again.  He is still young.  If you look through the list of FA defensemen, look at where they were at his age.  He has much more value than this board seems to think.  That being said, I hope we are able to move him for somebody a little tougher to play against.  If we have to go into next season with McBain and Pitkanen, I don’t think we will be as bad as everybody thinks.  Maybe we could move Joni mid season?  I would actually rather keep McBain and move Joni for a shutdown guy to play with McBain.

Our third pairing should be pretty strong.  Harrison is good in that role.  He was a little over matched moving up, but he is very solid in this role.  He is also very good at playing with younger inexperienced partners.  He would probably be a good mentor for Murphy.  We have several options to play with Harrison.  The above mentioned Ryan Murphy probably has the inside track here, but Bellemore looked good (would need to be resigned), Sanguinetti looked ok (would need to be resigned) even Jordan looked okay.  I actually think Sanguinetti looked better than Joni in an offensive role.

Our forwards are in good shape.  A first line of Staal, Semin, and Tlusty is as good as it gets!

A second line of Ruutu, Staal, and Nichushkin should be really difficult to play against!  They are all big!  They are all fast!  They are all skilled!  I think Staal and Ruutu were developing some decent chemistry together.  If we are able to draft Nichushkin, this line could be a really tough matchup!

That leaves a super skilled Skinner to center a third line.  I love this idea!  He looked so much more comfortable there, even if it was a small sample size, but that’s not all.  Teams are going to have to put their best defensemen out against our top line.  If they don’t, their toast!  They better put some pretty good defensemen on the ice against that second line.  If they don’t, they should be toast!  That leaves Skinner with a lot of ice time against the bottom pair and that should really help him reestablish himself as an offensive force.  I think one wing should be Dwyer.  He is a valuable penalty killer and we need spots for penalty killers.  He is also defensively responsible, which Skinner needs at this point.  Dwyer is never going to be an offensive star, but against bottom pairing defensemen that are probably going to be occupied with Skinner, he should produce adequately.  The other wing is where I think we need a FA.  Skinner and Dwyer are not going to physically intimidate anybody.  The other wing should.  This is where we need a 15 goal, 40 point, 100 penalty minute winger that has a little nasty in his game.  It shouldn’t be a pure goon.  This line should be an offensively producing line.  The ideal candidate would also be a good penalty killer to play on the PK with Dwyer and be willing to drop the gloves.  Kyle Clifford might be a good fit here if LA has cap issues.  I know he hasn’t put up the offense I suggested, but he might have it in him.  He scored well in the OHL.  If not him, a similar player.

The fourth line needs to be rebuilt.  I like Westgarth as the 13th forward.  He is a willing combatant and has a good attitude about sitting in the box for a week at a time.  He also has okay hands, if he could just improve his skating!  The fourth line center position should be an open competition between Nash and Welsh.  Who can win more faceoffs?  Who is more effective on the penalty kill?  Who is better defensively?  Who can play more physical?  I think Welsh gets the edge because he is signed and he is bigger.  That leaves Nash as a pretty versatile call up.  I like Wallace on one wing.  He hits everything!  I am not sure he can kill penalties, but he makes up for it by being very difficult to play against.   I am not sure about the other wing on this line.  I don’t know how Staal is as a penalty killer.  If he can kill penalties, I think he should get a look.  He is big and seemed pretty willing to play physical.  You know you are getting a good character guy!  Blanchard should get a look.  Can he kill penalties?  Can he take a regular shift?  He has a great work ethic and seemed to fit in well with the team.  It would be nice to have a guy like that in the game when Westgarth is in the press box.  Sutter could get a look, but he’s not very big.  Dalpe just doesn’t fit in this role.  He would need to min a job on Skinner’s line or go back to Charlotte.  Maybe somebody from outside?

This was a VERY good team before the injuries.  The number 5 pick is going to be a BIG addition at a small cost.  I don’t think it needs as much as everybody else seems to think.  One solid defenseman, one physical, but skilled third line forward, and maybe a forth liner if what we have in the system doesn’t work.

…and resign Ellis.  He is the best backup we have had.  Things weren’t hopeless until he got hurt.

I think we look solid for next year without too many changes.  I think we look really good with just a couple minor additions.  Our defense is going to get an overhaul without adding anybody.  It will be a significant overhaul if we are able to add just one.  Everybody talks about the injuries we had last season in terms of missed games, but what about the games where players were not the effective because they were playing injured? 

Gleason was playing hurt all year and it really showed.  Faulk missed some games and had a couple growing pains.  A healthy Gleason and a more experienced Faulk is a legit top pair. 

I am not now, nor have I ever been a Pitkanen fan.  I am not impressed with him when he is healthy.  I get that he is an elite skater, but he just doesn’t do that much with it.  He skates around, one on one, looking for the perfect pass and it rarely works.  He is big and strong enough to be a good defensemen, but he just doesn’t have the right mentality.  I am sure we are stuck with him for the year because I can’t see anybody willing to take him from us.  If healthy, he will be one half of our second pair.  McBain has been effective playing with Joni before and he might be again.  He is still young.  If you look through the list of FA defensemen, look at where they were at his age.  He has much more value than this board seems to think.  That being said, I hope we are able to move him for somebody a little tougher to play against.  If we have to go into next season with McBain and Pitkanen, I don’t think we will be as bad as everybody thinks.  Maybe we could move Joni mid season?  I would actually rather keep McBain and move Joni for a shutdown guy to play with McBain.

Our third pairing should be pretty strong.  Harrison is good in that role.  He was a little over matched moving up, but he is very solid in this role.  He is also very good at playing with younger inexperienced partners.  He would probably be a good mentor for Murphy.  We have several options to play with Harrison.  The above mentioned Ryan Murphy probably has the inside track here, but Bellemore looked good (would need to be resigned), Sanguinetti looked ok (would need to be resigned) even Jordan looked okay.  I actually think Sanguinetti looked better than Joni in an offensive role.

Our forwards are in good shape.  A first line of Staal, Semin, and Tlusty is as good as it gets!

A second line of Ruutu, Staal, and Nichushkin should be really difficult to play against!  They are all big!  They are all fast!  They are all skilled!  I think Staal and Ruutu were developing some decent chemistry together.  If we are able to draft Nichushkin, this line could be a really tough matchup!

That leaves a super skilled Skinner to center a third line.  I love this idea!  He looked so much more comfortable there, even if it was a small sample size, but that’s not all.  Teams are going to have to put their best defensemen out against our top line.  If they don’t, their toast!  They better put some pretty good defensemen on the ice against that second line.  If they don’t, they should be toast!  That leaves Skinner with a lot of ice time against the bottom pair and that should really help him reestablish himself as an offensive force.  I think one wing should be Dwyer.  He is a valuable penalty killer and we need spots for penalty killers.  He is also defensively responsible, which Skinner needs at this point.  Dwyer is never going to be an offensive star, but against bottom pairing defensemen that are probably going to be occupied with Skinner, he should produce adequately.  The other wing is where I think we need a FA.  Skinner and Dwyer are not going to physically intimidate anybody.  The other wing should.  This is where we need a 15 goal, 40 point, 100 penalty minute winger that has a little nasty in his game.  It shouldn’t be a pure goon.  This line should be an offensively producing line.  The ideal candidate would also be a good penalty killer to play on the PK with Dwyer and be willing to drop the gloves.  Kyle Clifford might be a good fit here if LA has cap issues.  I know he hasn’t put up the offense I suggested, but he might have it in him.  He scored well in the OHL.  If not him, a similar player.

The fourth line needs to be rebuilt.  I like Westgarth as the 13th forward.  He is a willing combatant and has a good attitude about sitting in the box for a week at a time.  He also has okay hands, if he could just improve his skating!  The fourth line center position should be an open competition between Nash and Welsh.  Who can win more faceoffs?  Who is more effective on the penalty kill?  Who is better defensively?  Who can play more physical?  I think Welsh gets the edge because he is signed and he is bigger.  That leaves Nash as a pretty versatile call up.  I like Wallace on one wing.  He hits everything!  I am not sure he can kill penalties, but he makes up for it by being very difficult to play against.   I am not sure about the other wing on this line.  I don’t know how Staal is as a penalty killer.  If he can kill penalties, I think he should get a look.  He is big and seemed pretty willing to play physical.  You know you are getting a good character guy!  Blanchard should get a look.  Can he kill penalties?  Can he take a regular shift?  He has a great work ethic and seemed to fit in well with the team.  It would be nice to have a guy like that in the game when Westgarth is in the press box.  Sutter could get a look, but he’s not very big.  Dalpe just doesn’t fit in this role.  He would need to min a job on Skinner’s line or go back to Charlotte.  Maybe somebody from outside?

This was a VERY good team before the injuries.  The number 5 pick is going to be a BIG addition at a small cost.  I don’t think it needs as much as everybody else seems to think.  One solid defenseman, one physical, but skilled third line forward, and maybe a forth liner if what we have in the system doesn’t work.

…and resign Ellis.  He is the best backup we have had.  Things weren’t hopeless until he got hurt.

If you believe the current lineup will even come close to making the playoffs next year you are an optomist my friend. Just take a good hard look at the teams that actually made it to the dance this season. If either Eric or Cam are not 100% to start the season this team is dead in the water even with a few upgrades.

If you believe the current lineup will even come close to making the playoffs next year you are an optomist my friend. Just take a good hard look at the teams that actually made it to the dance this season. If either Eric or Cam are not 100% to start the season this team is dead in the water even with a few upgrades.

Nope.  Our second defensive pairing and third and fourth lines need work.  People keep pointing out the teams that went a long ways in the playoffs this year, but the lower salary cap is going to help even the playing field.  Although I do agree with you about Cam Ward.  If he is not 100%, we would be in trouble.  We could get by for a short time without Eric.  We have enough offense.  We could slide Rask into the lineup for a few games if  we needed to.

Greg, I understand your point of view, and all your points make sense, but you seem to just ignore the fact we aren't going to dump Muller over newly available coaches. .....   I'd take AV as coach any day, but only on days where we need one. 

SP, yep, fully understand we have Muller and he could become a winner (or not).

When I kicked off all that AV/Torts action here, I said "if" we landed AV we should offer Muller a position (just not head coach). If Coach M wanted to stay he could, if not, he leaves.

Alain Vigneault is 100% proven! Making the playoffs 6 of the last 7 years is huge!  

We had a chance to remove any doubts about the Canes coaching staff here for years to come.

Bottom line?  The Rangers got him, we missed out.  Hopefully Coach Muller becomes a great one too some day. But if we're being objective and aggressive about building a winner, Alain Vigneault clearly gets the nod.

With Alain Vigneault going to the Rangers, unconfirmed at this time, the talk is big roster changes will follow. Is this a chance for us to pick the 4th Staal and make it a family reunion?  We need defense and they need depth.  This last year we brought many of the AHLer's up and many played well.

Just something to make you go, HMMMM?  :blush:

What are y'all's thoughts on going after Stephen Weiss? He's a gritty center capable of scoring. He had a really disappointing season, so he could come a little cheap

I really doubt he comes cheap.  We wont see a contract less than 4 mil for him.

With Alain Vigneault going to the Rangers, unconfirmed at this time, the talk is big roster changes will follow. Is this a chance for us to pick the 4th Staal and make it a family reunion?  We need defense and they need depth.  This last year we brought many of the AHLer's up and many played well.

Just something to make you go, HMMMM?  :blush:

I don't think we will see large roster changes.  We will see a buy out of Richards and a couple of trades of their lower guys to get the coaches type players.  We will see an abundance of trades compared to other seasons because of cap space and a lack of free agents.  I just don't think we will see a large change of any roster because of cap space.

Is this a chance for us to pick the 4th Staal and make it a family reunion?  

I certainly hope not!! 

Its already highly debatable what impact having two brothers on this team has done to overall locker room moral.    

As stated several times, if we're going to try and steal a Ranger D-man away, Ryan McDonagh would be a much better choice!  Plus he's now a RFA.

He said before the injuries, 15-9-1,  3rd in conference, 2 points behind  bruins, then the injuries hit.. pretty clear to me, we stay healthy, add a few  pieces, number pick is a given, we get in... jmo

I am going to have to disagree. Once teams discovered that we had no scoring from our bottom 6 we were shut down on a nightly basis. It just took a while to figure us out. Yes injuries were part of it but not having a 3rd and 4th line that could contribute some really hurt us.

I am going to have to disagree. Once teams discovered that we had no scoring from our bottom 6 we were shut down on a nightly basis. It just took a while to figure us out. Yes injuries were part of it but not having a 3rd and 4th line that could contribute some really hurt us.

I agree that was part of the problem.  See the paragraph above about a super skilled Skinner centering a third scoring line against other teams' third defensive pairings.

New Guy/Skinner/Dwyer

New Guy = 15-20 goals, 45-50 points, 120-150 PIM. 

New Guy/Skinner/Dwyer

Do you mean new guy as in NHL vet gritty winger who can play? or our new pick?

We need to add one guy on the second-third line assuming that we pick a forward who can step right in. 

Adding our new stud pick and one gritty but some offense winger will round out our top 9 very nicely.

Do you mean new guy as in NHL vet gritty winger who can play? or our new pick?

We need to add one guy on the second-third line assuming that we pick a forward who can step right in. 

Adding our new stud pick and one gritty but some offense winger will round out our top 9 very nicely.

I mean new "NHL vet gritty winger who can play".  In the original post, I had Nich on the second line with Staal and Ruutu.

I mean new "NHL vet gritty winger who can play".  In the original post, I had Nich on the second line with Staal and Ruutu.

Yes, we really need that guy. Just like w/ the defense, just one guy, if it's the right guy can make the rest of the pieces fall together.

If we take Nich, he can play w/ Skinner and that gritty guy, or if he's really ready on the second line. If we take say Barkov, then he centers line three w/ the gritty guy and...who ever. 

Those two guys and J. and Skinner and Ruutu finding their games really would give us one of the best top 9 in the league.