The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I still think there is loads of good hockey in this team.  One or 2 pieces (3rd line center and PP QB) and a return to health could cure many ills on this board. 

There should be loads of good hockey left in this team...because they sure haven't used very much of it up! ;)

Putting Semin and Ruu together on a line would mean one of them has to skate off wing. Not that they aren't both talented enough to do that but I'm not a big fan of taking players out of their comfort zone. I have read one idea could be to move Ruu to third line center with the thought he could help Skinner and Lindy get going. Ruu is a "natural" center. I think Semin is the key to the first line no matter who skates left wing. I read the off season we wanted Sasha to be more selfish and shoot more. I'm not sure that is the best approach. last season Semin's strength was back checking, opening ice with his speed and his passing game. His goals will come but I think if he sticks to that game he will make E and whoever the left wing is better.

I also read Tlusty is in the doghouse. Maybe its time let the dog out.

I'm not going to revisit the JStaal thing.  At the time, I was the only person on this board who thought it was a mistake - for several reasons.  If I think about it too much, it'll drive me into a crazed tirade aimed at my esteemed message board acquaintances, who are all a bunch of ******* idiots.  And I'm way too nice of a person to do that.  :)

No, you weren't.  There were quite a few of us (myself included) that felt we overpaid for him...and should have just let him ride out that last year of the contract before signing him here.

If we ever get Semin back, we need to give Semin-Staal-Tlusty one more try. It was just too good. Plus, Tlusty on the 4th is just a waste.

Edited by remkin

At this point in time. The most impacting move that we can make is acquiring a solid 40 point/season 3rd line center that can player a solid 2-way game. I am not sold on an offensive d-man. Our fore check needs to be established first and foremost on all 4 lines. The 3rd line has been lack luster to say the least. Well... all of our lines have been lack luster...

We already have that guy. Unfortunately,he is our second line center. I think we need a guy that played like Cole. We haven't had a guy with the speed to blow by a D man since he left. He went hard on the fore check, and his speed opened space for Staal. I'm not saying bring Cole back, but I think we need a player with similar style.

We have consistency.

We consistently can't move the puck

We consistently can't score on the Power Play

We consistently can't score more than 2 goals

I don't think I can take much more consistency

yep, cut to the chase. If a team can't move the puck from its defensive zone, cross the neutral zone, and provide solid pressure on the other team's goalie, it isn't going to score many goals,  And if a team does not score more than two goals, most likely it isn't going to win many games.

I agree 100%. I posted a few weeks ago this same opinion. Let's make that move now and we would have the remainder of the season to settle. We need a new GM and coach with a fresh set of eyes to evaluate our current players and "system". Make some trades if possible and rebuild for next year. The playoffs are not a possibility this year anyway with the current "system". I was quoting Canes- Fan- In Montreal, not sure why that didn't carry over when I posted.

Canes-Fan-In- Montreal

I have been following along with everyone's comments and I agree with everyone.  This is getting harder and harder to stomach each year.  From what I can tell there is a culture with the team that needs to be fixed.  There needs to be a complete change of philosophy around the team.  I am not blaming any one person but rather an organization as a whole.  

From what a see new people need to be brought in.  Before changing players change the people running the team.  Again, not going to go pointing the finger at JR for his contracts and signings.  But rather get in someone with a fresh idea of how the team should be run.  This new person chooses HIS people that will help change the team.  They can't be narrow-minded.  Have a lot of people apply, interview extensively and find someone that can turn around the direction of this team.

This is not a quick fix.  It needs to start at the top and flow on down from that top person.  During the season it won't happen.  The best that can be done is try and leave as much room to make moves as possible for the new person in charge.  Draft picks, cap space, etc.  

That is just my feeling.  I am SO disappointed in the way this has gone.  I feel bad watching from Canada.  I can't imagine what it must be like to be at these games in Carolina.  How frustrating must it be!

JR, you HAVE TO GO

Edited by slapshot02

The era of Matt Cullen 3.0 is upon us gentlemen. In 2 of his seasons here we had deep playoff runs. Gleason and 2nd rounder for Cullen. Sold!

You got me all excited for nothing :( I thought it actually happened. But that would never happen for several reasons, mostly being Nashville would want more in return.

For those who have been here a while and have long memories, I have lamented the loss of Matt Cullen so strongly that at one point he was called "he who shall not be named" so as not to set me off.

A whole lot of problems would have been solved for a whole lot of years had we never let him go. :kleenex:

Edited by remkin

For those who have been here a while and have long memories, I have lamented the loss of Matt Cullen so strongly that at one point he was called "he who shall not be named" so as not to set me off.

A whole lot of problems would have been solved for a whole lot of years had we never let him go. :kleenex:

Don't start............ :hits forehead:

The era of Matt Cullen 3.0 is upon us gentlemen. In 2 of his seasons here we had deep playoff runs. Gleason and 2nd rounder for Cullen. Sold!

Gleason and a 2nd is WAY to much for a 37 year old with 13 points....

Gleason and a 2nd is WAY to much for a 37 year old with 13 points....

You're kidding right? This would be an incredible trade.

1. Gleason is of no value.

2. His contract is horrible.

3. We would unload his contract.

4. We would acquire a good 2 way forward.

At this point unloading Gleason's salary and moving him would be a major feat. His value is at an all time low. The guy just doesn't have it anymore for whatever reason. I think a change of scenery is needed for him.

Matty's  best days are behind him... gleason and  koby  for  a PMD    great effort, sekera being back, ,    slows everything down,   passes were right on the sticks , leaving zone, was that the   Hurricanes??? :)And we outhit them!  Ok, now need to duplicate in Nashville... And   Ovenchicken shows  his class, dragging   Estaal  down... Ovenchicken  -2... SWEET.. 4 SHOTS... 7-4 in metro division , are the Canes.. Jordan is really coming on, on both ends...

Imagine if we had kept Cullen, Whitney and Williams.  Bad decisions IMO.  Anyway, no more dwelling on the past,....just saying, All of those guys still had 3 or 4 more great seasons in them. 

What seems really weird is that, everyone other that E Staal is held accountable, Jiri goes from the 1st line to the 4th line, Staal still on the 1st. People get moved up then back down from line to line. Don't get me wrong, I like E Staal but if he isn't playing the way he should be and is getting paid for, maybe moving him around might light a fire under his butt!! Yes he did look good last nite against the Craps,, I mean Caps, but hold him to the same standards as the rest of the team!!

So heres a kind of crazy question how is Simon Gagné still a Free agent? Does he want to much money? Why dont we sign him after we shed some cap room I mean heck its been so long he may be willing to take a lower offer just to get back on the ice. With Pits out and Semin he maybe be able to be signed without moving a piece at all. Thoughts?

What a difference a day can make...that was one heckuva effort last night...the question du jour is whether we can build off it.  Ruutu/E/Skinner looked very good, doubt we mess with that line for now and we were balanced all the way down. 

Nashville has 29 points on the year, losing record at home, and about .500 in the last 10.  Honestly, we're pretty similar in a lot of ways.  Shea Weber leads the team in goals with 7 and there are a host of guys with 6; Nashville struggles to score (63 goals to our 61) and has been riding the success of their backup goalie, Marek Mazanec (who is a monster at 6'4" 197); the Preds lost to Vancouver last night behind 2 goals from Ryan Kessler and were without their lynchpin D-Man in Weber (it will be interesting to see if he plays tomorrow). 

Does Pete Dawg get a showcase start because as good as Mazanec has been he cannot start all the games...trade query--what about Patric Hornqvist?  Signed through 2018 at 4.25 mil/year. 

Should be a good one tomorrow with lots of subplots. 

I hate to break this to you, but the hurricanes aren't in the bad spot most of you's seem to think they are.  While I do agree that something definitely has to be done and soon, the hurricanes are only 3pts out of a playoff spot.  They're 1pt behind philly, 2pts behind jersey, 3pts behind rangers.  None of the teams in our so-called "stacked" division is running away with it except pittsburgh.  They're just as close to being 2nd in division as they are being last.

I think this team can and "probably" make the playoffs.  I think all our key players being healthy will make a difference.  I think besides pittsburgh, every other team is going to be streaky up until the end.  No other team really has the capability to run away with it.

We need to remember that only the top 3 teams in each division are guaranteed a playoff spot.  The other two places go to Wild Card teams.  Meaning, the next two best records.  At this point (still very early), the 5th place team from the Atlantic would cross over to take the 4th spot of the Met division.  We would need to be at least in 3rd.

Interesting stuff from Bob McKenzie on TSN.ca's Insider Trading about the 'Canes and our management's patience with the team:

McKenzie: Carolina is a hot spot right now. General manager Jim Rutherford is one of the most patient GMs in the NHL but that patience is definitely wearing thin. There's no coaching change planned right now; head coach Kirk Muller's not in imminent danger. But another week or two of underachieving the way they have been and all bets are off. Off the ice, on the ice, Rutherford is getting extremely frustrated the way his team is looking. And anything is possible if this team keeps taking a nose dive.

Link.

I think we should look into Jamie McGinn. With Brock kicking some *** in the OHL this year, his graduation to NHL seems more likely than not, barring a bad camp. Having his brother on his line could make that transition easier on him, and could also boost Jamie's play as well. I'd consider it if I were JR and the price wasn't high.

And on our Goaltending Trio situation:

ESPN.COM’s Craig Custance reported via Twitter Hurricanes backup Anton Khudobin is travelling with the club, adding he and Justin Peters are attracting some trade interest.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

We need to remember that only the top 3 teams in each division are guaranteed a playoff spot.  The other two places go to Wild Card teams.  Meaning, the next two best records.  At this point (still very early), the 5th place team from the Atlantic would cross over to take the 4th spot of the Met division.  We would need to be at least in 3rd.

Right now we're 1 point out of 3rd in the Metro and 3 points out of 2nd.

All hope is not lost for this season.  I think the current impending dilemma facing the team is goaltending.  Cam has a huge contract, and has been our guy.  Khudobin has shown some flashes of brilliance, but was injured.  Peters came up from the AHL, and everyone was on pins and needles remembering last year, but Peters pulled through in such a big way, its obvious that he has improved his game.  So much so, that the guys tend to play for him.  He is even better about where he places his saves, including putting 2 over the glass last night against Washington. 

We now have 3 NHL goalies.  If I'm not mistaken, if we try to send Peters down to the AHL, he has to go through waivers?  He won't survive that, Nashville will claim him.  I hate to say this, but Peters was a Hurricane prospect.  This organization owes him more than we do Dobby.  We need to figure out a way to play Dobby for a game or two to show he is healthy and package a trade with him and something else.  We are obviously going to have to shed a goalie, and I just think we owe Pete-Dawg more loyalty than Dobby.  I like Khudobin.  The only other option here, while some will espouse it to shed contract room, is unfathomable, because Cam is obviously a key to E Staal's play.  Cam out, E plays bad.  Cam in, E plays.  In my opinion, that option won't happen.  So if either Peters or Dobby have to go, I say Dobby goes. 

With Skins back, Ruutu firing away and hitting away again, I think our goals will begin coming in droves.  Our defensive corps is solid, and we have 2 defensemen out there that are high dollar. I think that Sekera and a healthy Skinner help to improve our ailing PP, but we need help with it still.  Our entries are horrible.  We either need a new entry strategy, or a player than can help out there, and anchor the power play. We have an extra goalie, and 2+ defensemen.  We might be able to get something valuable in return for this, and it might be time to dangle that out there.  I am sure that JR has been very busy lately.  The fans are frustrated with the early performance, sometimes we have a great team, but other times, we walk away from games scratching our heads.  Something has to give.  There is something coming.  This season is still salvageable, but the moves we make prior to ALL Star will be important.  If JR waits til' later, then our season will be a mess.  This must be dealt with now, within the next few weeks prior to Christmas. 

This must be dealt with now, within the next few weeks prior to Christmas. 

We play Dec 14 and then off until the 20th...that could give Khudo some conditioning time in Charlotte and we can work on other deals.  If we make a move, I expect it will be in that window.