The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Man I'd hate to lose any of our goalies. I love Peters now, he's won me over. His interviews and constant nod to the fans, the fact he actually has a chant. Khudobin won me over immediately as well, he's a chatterbox, has a great attitude and personality, plays amazing goaltending. Ward has so much history with the team. It'll be a hard decision. I'd actually, and don't call me a Ward hater or basher, but I'd shop Ward around a little along with the other two, then take the best possible offer on any one of them. I'd be happy with any two of our three.

Watch, we move one and then Cam or whoever we kept gets injured. Just wait. Hahaha that would cause mayhem here.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

According to Chip,  Muller says Bellemore has stiffness in his neck and has returned to Raleigh. Won't play tomorrow

E has a slight case of the flu but should be able to play and no decision on starting goalie tomorrow

At least the nasty word (concussion) isn't being used)

According to Chip,  Muller says Bellemore has stiffness in his neck and has returned to Raleigh. Won't play tomorrow

E has a slight case of the flu but should be able to play and no decision on starting goalie tomorrow

At least the nasty word (concussion) isn't being used)

Good news! 

Bellemore is a VALUE (salary vs contribution) player for sure! 

Last night proved back that the team can play solid defensively and offensively. I wouldn't say we gave a total 60 min effort as we did sit back a little bit in the third. The powerplay did look better with more movement and actual shots taken. We seemed to have more guys in the crease last night than any previous game. Sekera being in the lineup made a huge difference as he is our leader on the D. IMO the team plays much better when we don't ask the D to carry the puck up through the neutral zone. In that scenerio we end up dumping the puck,send one guy in,make a line change and hope for possession to be gained (Not Working). What is working is the D getting off a quick pass in our zone and letting the forwards engage earlier and allowing them to freelance to some degree. As someone mentioned earlier the dump and chase system has gotten too mechanical and doesn't allow the forwards to regain possession and engage.  Eric Staal is still bugging me. In the preseason he stated that his knee was 100%.IMO he has only skated full out in three games this year. Yes he is starting to pile up some points but they are mainly assists. I believe the previous knee injury is effecting his play(if not physically then mentally) If it is physical then I wouldn't be suprised if we see surgery in the off season. If he feels it is 100% then I would ask for an MRI. If everything looks good Kirk should ask Eric if he plans on skating any time soon. Forget the knee and go out and skate. I think the same thing was happening for Semin. He was being very cautious from his previous concussion and wasn't skating to his ability either. The team got wins on the road against the Devils and Caps which were good wins. I'm starting to think it is accountability issues as when they all engage they can play a good game. I read today that Kirk appears safe but I still wouldn't mind seeing Lavi or Dineen. The last two times we lost a few in a row I went on a rant to fire the GM and Coach....The next game we looked impressive and won. Maybe I just need to post before every game to fire the GM and coach. :dizzy:

How bad do the CBJ's need a goalie?? We have a few! I know there are a few centers I'd love to have from CBJ.

let's offer them Cam at a 50% deal and be happy with nothing in return !

Man I'd hate to lose any of our goalies. I love Peters now, he's won me over. His interviews and constant nod to the fans, the fact he actually has a chant. Khudobin won me over immediately as well, he's a chatterbox, has a great attitude and personality, plays amazing goaltending. Ward has so much history with the team. It'll be a hard decision. I'd actually, and don't call me a Ward hater or basher, but I'd shop Ward around a little along with the other two, then take the best possible offer on any one of them. I'd be happy with any two of our three.

Watch, we move one and then Cam or whoever we kept gets injured. Just wait. Hahaha that would cause mayhem here.

I've generally been a fan of Cam Ward too, but I actually watch the entire play before I assign blame on goals against and don't just look at save % like a lot of people on the board. Most fans of other teams love Cam Ward too. 

That said, I feel like this team is going to get similar results with any of the 3 goaltenders. Cam Ward makes a ton of those jaw dropping, big saves and he makes them often, but if the defense is playing the way they're supposed to he shouldn't have to. His contract is probably more than it should be, but let's be real, it would have had to be to keep him in Carolina long term. We have to overpay big names here. But it might be worth exploring offers to get an impact player. Despite what many on this board think, Cam Ward probably has a lot of value to many teams out there. I wouldn't want him to stay in the East though.

I know a lot of people will disagree with me but it should be Cam that is on the trade block. If other teams want a goalie with yrs of experience then let them go for Cam. He may bring the Canes another player that will help the team. That would leave us with  2 other goalies  at probably half(if not less) of what Cam is costing the Canes money pocket! LOOK at the bright side, Cam would be helping the Canes by leaving!! :thumbsup:  :woohoo:

How about Cam Ward and Tim Gleason to Calgary for Jiri Hudler and Jon Gillies?  We get a center that can score to play on the "3rd" line, a goalie of the future, and shed salary.  Calgary gets a Canadian goaie that will play every night and a rugged defensemen with some leadership. 

I'm really happy for Peters, he really has shown heart and dedication to come around like this after the ups and downs of the last couple years.   His weakness is obviously rebounds, but what I've noticed is he gives his rebounds right to our defenders to clear so.......I guess you can give up a lot of rebounds as long as you can control where they go which is what he does.  I didn't realize that at first, Cam sucks everything up which is great too, but Peters is awesome at placing rebounds in safe areas where they will get cleared. 

Dobby, well I just don't think we've seen enough of him to delcare him great yet.  He's gonna come back from a long term injury and who knows how he will play.  if he loses a couple when he gets back than everyone will be calling for him to be traded immediately, it is likely that he will struggle his first few games back and we can't really afford that, especially knowing that Pete Dawg is more than capable of getting us some wins.  

Peters I think has won back his second spot.  I couldn't see giving him up right now.   I think the key would be to let him play one game a week at least as our back up, it seems as long as he stays warm he is awesome.  It's gotta be hard for any goalie to go 3 weeks without start than get thrown in there which is what we did with him last couple years.

Cam Ward still has his best hockey ahead of him.  He was looking great and than lost a couple because we couldn't score goals in front of him so everyone thinks its his fault again.   I bet anything within the next couple weeks everyone will be talking about how great Cam is, He's not done and looks to me to be back to his best form.  Just couldn't get any team support his last two losses.  

Yep, i agree with your thoughts exactly, danimal-ch 1. I'm glad to see someone else is not ready to throw in the towel on a goalie with a proven track record rather than a flash in the pan. Granted, Cam's bloated contract is difficult to swallow in a season which is reeling for a first ever decrease in the Cap, but wonder what it would/will take to resign these 2 currently great performing goalies?

Also, my concern to shopping Cam Ward is that it undermines what I think is the basis of this team, which to a fault is Loyalty! It has always seemed to me that a small market team such as ours needs some type of unique appeal to offer to players to attract them to this area over big market appeal and bright lights. Rutherford has , I think shrewdly, hit on the qualities on "wholesomeness and loyalty" as those that could offer the alternative to bright lights and glitz. Should he now change courses, and go against one of those basic premises, I think he risks loss of that appeal.

All I can really say to this opinion is take a look at The Great 8! Is he someone whom you'd like to see on our team? Not I, as I've always been of the opinion that a "hot dogger" like Ovie actually does more to undermine the "team basis" of hockey than anything I can think of.Nisch might not turn out like Ovechkin, but he certainly seems like he's on that course. As for me, I'll take Lindholm every time.

On Ward. I have tried to open up to even entertaining the idea of trading him, and still would not. I get that he might bring something serious back in return. I mean that would be the reason to consider it. Serious firepower or a big time dman (would then trade Gleason and probably one more dman for forward). Or a serious point producer… temping.

IF Peters, who a couple of months ago was deemed by most "not and will never be an NHL goalie", and Khudoben whom the Bruins let walk, are really all that, then the move might make sense. The problem, aside from the affect on the team of management moving their #1 goalie, is that if Peters and Khudoben faulter….game over. Teams with weak goalies don't go far, and often spend YEARS trying to fix that key position. If we traded Cam and our goalies start faltering, the GM is done. The risk is just too high.

On Nichushkin. Only time will tell. Right now we are comparing teenagers. 

Nichushkin is 6' 4" and plays the wing. 

Lindholm is 6' 0" and plays center.

Seems easier for the big, fast Russian to barrel down the wing from the get go.

Center is trickier in many ways. 

Still, Nichushkin was rated super high on the talent o meter. Some thought he had #1 talent. Yet he dropped to #10. It is possible that mostly North American GM's have a Russia bias and over-worried about that, and this kid is the next Malkin. If so, Dallas had made a couple of sweet moves getting him and Seguin. BUT it is also possible that those GM's were right and over time his "issues" become major issues. 

Time will tell on this one. But a highly skilled two way playmaking center is hard to find and impacts the game more than a power winger usually does. If Linholm is really the next Forsburg (who averaged 1.25 ppg and ended up plus 238) he will have been a pretty good pick. Some might say, well Forsburg put up a ppg in his first season. Yes, but he did not play for 3 years after drafted and was, if my math is right 21 years old.

I find it interesting that Tripp kept saying that the Canes had Linholm ranked higher than 5. Not that they honestly didn't, I mean, they obviously had Skinner way higher than anyone else. But seriously, who would you not take?

MacKinnon, Drouin, Barkov, Jones….? Despite the fact that Monohan and Nich look better right now, I still can't fault the pick, but it is hard to think of which of those other guys the Canes had below Lindholm.

Anyway, time will tell on this pick. It may take a couple of years to really judge. 

I still see subtle things in Lindholm's game that are encouraging, but thus far he has not produced enough to justify JR's keeping him at this level at 18 years old.

Edited by remkin

I don't really understand why people think that Cam is that good of a goalie?  He wasn't the main goalie the yr of the Cup. Yes he was in net after the main goalie that got us into the playoffs ( having a brain cramp and can't remember his name) was hurt and then Cam came in and there were very few Players/opponents that knew of Cams weak spots or how he played in the crease. (Yes Thank you Cam for helping getting us the Cup)  If you think about it, with him as the main goaltender we have only made the playoffs 1 time with him as the #1 goaltender. Is that really worth 6 million dollars a yr?  I myself think he has a lot better reputation than actual numbers for the Canes. If he wasn't who he was back when the Canes won the Cup, would the Canes have put up with his seasons since then?  Just some more thoughts  to think about.

I don't really understand why people think that Cam is that good of a goalie?  He wasn't the main goalie the yr of the Cup. Yes he was in net after the main goalie that got us into the playoffs ( having a brain cramp and can't remember his name) was hurt and then Cam came in and there were very few Players/opponents that knew of Cams weak spots or how he played in the crease. (Yes Thank you Cam for helping getting us the Cup)  If you think about it, with him as the main goaltender we have only made the playoffs 1 time with him as the #1 goaltender. Is that really worth 6 million dollars a yr?  I myself think he has a lot better reputation than actual numbers for the Canes. If he wasn't who he was back when the Canes won the Cup, would the Canes have put up with his seasons since then?  Just some more thoughts  to think about.

Martin Gerber

A goalie is truly only as good as who he is behind because one can only save so many shots.

Unless you are Hasek,

Broduer, Roy, Thomas, Lundqvist, Rask.... they all played behind a stingy defense hence their great numbers....

I think, at least, the idea of trading Cam is legit.  For reasons some people posted up, and for the simple fact that the team isn't much different whether he plays or not.  Carolina's path to success has never mirrored the same path that most teams have.  Because just like Harley just said, we didn't have a franchise goalie the year of the cup.  I mean, what differentiates Cam from say, Corey Crawford?  If anything I'd say Carolina's cup team is most similar to Chicago's.  They had 4 deep lines, solid/fast blueline, and above average goaltending.  I love Cam as a person.  I've met him multiple times, and he's always been extremely nice.  He used to frequent this video game store my cousin worked at, and they'd always get into nerdy video game conversations and even offered him game tickets.  As a franchise goaltender, i see both sides of the argument.  I think the bottom line is if he were making $3mil per season, this probably wouldn't be debatable.

I fully understand the blueline in front of him.  I gave all our goalie's somewhat of a pass for last season.  This team has made the playoffs with and without a top-notch blueline, just saying.  Like i said, i'm on both sides on this really.  I'd only consider a trade where we get a top 2-ish blueliner or a top-6 forward.

So does getting to the playoffs.  Our playoff winning % with Cam isn't high.  I believe every series he's played in went to 7 games except one, which is when we were swept by Pittsburgh.

didn't  he have back issues that limited his effectiveness in that series?