The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

So we all pretty much want a big bruisng shut down shot blocking proven NHL defenseman.

This article was interesting. Guy claims that above average shot blocking has essentially no effect.

Especially shots from the point.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/6/11/4419850/the-value-of-blocking-shots

Last four years in shots against:

12-13: 5th in League

11-12: 1st

10-11: 1st

09-10: 9th

While for a majority of clubs shot blocking isn't a stat that shows effectiveness; for our team, which has historically ridden Cam into the ground while being in the top 10 of shots against the last four years, it would go a long way to improving our chances at making the post season. 

So we all pretty much want a big bruisng shut down shot blocking proven NHL defenseman.

This article was interesting. Guy claims that above average shot blocking has essentially no effect.

Especially shots from the point.

http://www.broadstreethockey.com/2013/6/11/4419850/the-value-of-blocking-shots

Be careful! Somebody is trying to punch holes in the theory that it's the defense at fault because they don't block enough shots.

Edited by winger52

I'm really just throwing it out there. Not saying I agree. Is sometimes interesting to question dogma. Like faceoffs. Somewhat important. Not as much as we think though.

From Pierre Lebrun on ESPN:

The Carolina Hurricanes offered pending UFA Dan Ellis a new deal, but the veteran backup netminder informed them he was headed to market. …

Speaking of the Hurricanes, they’ve gotten calls from other teams on their No. 5 overall pick for the June 30 draft, but the intention right now is to keep the pick. …

Not really that surprising. Ellis has suffered injuries and is over 30 and is now a backup. In this lower cap year when some teams may need to dump a backup because of salary Ellis probable thinks he can fit some teams need. If he finds out the market won't meet his money expectations he could make another try with us.

I don't expect that to happen but it could.

I remember Ellis saying he was tired of floating around and wanted a more permanent position.  So, my guess is JR's offer was lower than Eliis expected.

I remember Ellis saying he was tired of floating around and wanted a more permanent position.  So, my guess is JR's offer was lower than Eliis expected.

Gotta save money somewhere. Had to be a pretty low paying contract. The offseason gets a bit more exciting. I think even if Ellis signs elsewhere JR will look into a few other potentials before he settles on Peters or signs a new face.

Are they smoking something good?  Or is there something about Jones that they're not telling us? 

I can't see him slipping all the way to us...

AWACS, If I might be so bold to respond, Patrick Roy, in his position as coach in juniors, might very well possess "insider info" on the top 3- Jones, McKinnon and Drouin , having coached against them this past year. That may be the reason for this about face, or it could be a ruse to see what the Avs might be offered for their top pick, despite what is being professed in the media.

B. Wage's article is basically pure fantasy!  (supported with a few highly speculative links).

But, it did get plenty of us reading it.  Well done Mr Wage, you got us reading.

Now, I will say this, just the remote idea of us actually being able to land Jones just made draft day that much more fun! 

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

On Ellis, I'd want him back.

He played some games sick and some injured and all behind our horrendous team defense and still managed to put up the 38th best save percentage for goalies who played at least 7 games. 

And he was a good team guy.

We will likely do worse at backup.

Edited by remkin

He played some games sick and some injured and all behind our horrendous team defense and still managed to put up the 38th best save percentage for goalies who played at least 7 games. 

Fully agree!!

B. Wage's article is basically pure fantasy!  (supported with a few highly speculative links).

But, it did get plenty of us reading it.  Well done Mr Wage, you got us reading.

Now, I will say this, just the remote idea of us actually being able to land Jones just made draft day that much more fun! 

I think the story actually was generated by Adrian Dater of the Denver Post

"If we do pick first, we're leaning more toward one of those three forwards," Avalanche executive vice president of hockey operations Joe Sakic told The Denver Post.

None the less it will make round one even more interesting then it already is.

As for Ellis you have to ask yourself how much and for how long would you pay Ellis to stay. Maybe he wants over a mil and for multiple years. Would that be worth it?

As for Ellis you have to ask yourself how much and for how long would you pay Ellis to stay. Maybe he wants over a mil and for multiple years. Would that be worth it?

No and No   Need to find a reliable back-up for Ward who can play about 20 or more games

IBTD.  From what I was hearing by the locker room rumor-mongers, he bailed on the start the night Cam got hurt because he had a "slight cold."  He only played sick and injured after that because he backed himself into a corner.

"Last night, Adrian Dater of the Denver Post reported that the Colorado Avalanche will likely pass over defenseman Seth Jones, if they pick at number one in the upcoming NHL Draft.

Avs to pass on Seth Jones

"