The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

There is no doubt we need to begin to win the games in front of us. One point will keep us in the hunt but chasing from behind isn't a formula for securing a playoff spot.

This division is going to keep beating each other up. We are one point out of third and still in a position for a wild card. I do agree we need to start separating ourselves from the pack and run with the big dogs. I like that we are competitive and starting to get some secondary scoring. I don't like that we seem to play to the level of our competition and can't close.

Traditionally we are a second half team. I don't know if we will be this season but thats why I have hope.

We are one point out of third and still in a position for a wild card. I do agree we need to start separating ourselves from the pack and run with the big dogs. I like that we are competitive and starting to get some secondary scoring. I don't like that we seem to play to the level of our competition and can't close.

Is this new, or is this just a repost from 6 of the last 7 years?

So your point is with Rod Brind Amour winning the games award for best two-way forward (defense which was outstanding, face-offs so good people thought he was cheating) that Staal beat him out in points including the two years Brind Amour couldn't close his hand around the stick?

Oh yea, I see your point.

What I was saying is, our top player has rarely been our best player in the actual game of the last few years.  Rookie penalties (in his own zone often and some on power plays), at times staying on the ice too long on shifts, and a pitiful face-off record over the most of his playing years hardly adds up to what the team needs to win.

As he proved in 05/06 Staal is an additive part to any team.  He is hardly the centerpiece.  Hes a very good player.  Just not a good ROI as our highest paid where wins count more than points.  If you only looked at stats Justin Williams would have only been a better than average player - Rod Brind Amour good but not great, and Glen Wesley durable but not all-star caliber.  How many times in Justin Williams playing time has a goalie not been able to see a puck because of him blocking the view?  That doesn't show on a stat sheet, and imo its what we need from E. Staal whom makes the big $.

Hmmm...well, one value to the team is lighting the lamp. Since the lock-out, Staal has almost every season led the team in goals and/or assists and/or points. In fact, in four of those seasons, Staal led in all three. Brindy, for all his attributes, never did once. Nor did Brindy ever lead in points or goals. Sure, whine about Staal all you want, get rid of him sure. But answer this first, who's gonna replace his long, proven track record of scoring?

Is this new, or is this just a repost from 6 of the last 7 years?

Oh you caught me.  lol

Here is something to think about with E. When Canada chooses Olympic or World teams they pick E. There are lots of forwards out there and yet they pick E.

Hes a very good player, and obviously a good person as you never hear otherwise. 

I'm not saying hes not good. Selection for those teams is based on many things, availability, talent, condition at time of selection (injury) etc...

Just our team needs a top paid player that is most frequently the best player on the ice wearing our colors.  I'd like nothing more for it to be E. 

Oh you caught me.  lol

Here is something to think about with E. When Canada chooses Olympic or World teams they pick E. There are lots of forwards out there and yet they pick E.

Ok onward to tonight's game. Wardo back in net and I am predicting that he will not give up more than one goal. The question is can we score two goals to get the two points?? :couch: .     

Eric is the 4th highest paid player in the league. He is paid to score 30plus goals. He has 8 so far. There are no name defenseman that have that many goals. Steadily getting assists is a start but we need goals from him bad. If he was on his normal pace we would have several more wins this year.

Hes a very good player, and obviously a good person as you never hear otherwise. 

I'm not saying hes not good. Selection for those teams is based on many things, availability, talent, condition at time of selection (injury) etc...

Just our team needs a top paid player that is most frequently the best player on the ice wearing our colors.  I'd like nothing more for it to be E. 

I admit his play can frustrate me. I find myself muttering come on E step it up. But overall he is the best we have and many times we overlook what he does right because we expect so much.

Eric is the 4th highest paid player in the league. He is paid to score 30plus goals. He has 8 so far. There are no name defenseman that have that many goals. Steadily getting assists is a start but we need goals from him bad. If he was on his normal pace we would have several more wins this year.

Sekera has 7 goals.  E has 9, J has 8.

These stats speak for themselves.

Edited by wxray1

Now here is a good one for all of you " on pace " fans. Eric Staal on pace for 64.73 points this season, OK call it  65. He is also on pace for  82 penalty minutes. Not the career mark the fans hope for.

Those stats tell me we have finally found a D-man who can score. I do see your point. Our best players need to be our best players game after game. You won't get an argument from me that so far our best haven't shown up night after night.

I saw Sieds got hurt and is out for the season. I have already seen Gleason mentioned as a possible target by the Bs as a replacement. I guess that isn't a big leap but  I think its more a guess at this point.

They don't say anything really other than that Eric's role on his line has changed. We started the big line from last season and the magic was gone for whatever reason. Eric really didn't have a good line until we tried him with Ruutu and Skinner again. Now instead of having balanced scoring stats like he usually does, he's heavy on assists because he's been feeding Skinner. He's not a selfish player, he'll take the points in whatever form they come.

Eric's not going to be a premier goal scorer like Ovi, Sid or Stammer, but he's going to give you about a point per game every season. You're not going to have an Ovechkin on every team in the league. 

Truthfully, I'm actually surprised Eric doesn't have a few more goals because he has had some pretty grade A scoring chances lately.

They don't say anything really other than that Eric's role on his line has changed. We started the big line from last season and the magic was gone for whatever reason. Eric really didn't have a good line until we tried him with Ruutu and Skinner again. Now instead of having balanced scoring stats like he usually does, he's heavy on assists because he's been feeding Skinner. He's not a selfish player, he'll take the points in whatever form they come.

Eric's not going to be a premier goal scorer like Ovi, Sid or Stammer, but he's going to give you about a point per game every season. You're not going to have an Ovechkin on every team in the league. 

Truthfully, I'm actually surprised Eric doesn't have a few more goals because he has had some pretty grade A scoring chances lately.

Yeah, but this season he's not going to finish anywhere near a PPG pace. Unless he like goes Super Saiyan and goes on a real tear to finish the season, which I would LOVE to see.

I'm actually more disappointed in Semin than I am Eric. Semin is way off his game and has only demonstrated his capabilities in a few games. I think he is the key if this team is to get going on a roll. He needs to use his speed and not drift all over the ice. Please shoot more Sasha!! Become more selfish and shoot the puck instead of trying to be the setup man. Let Jordan be the setup man.

I'm actually more disappointed in Semin than I am Eric. Semin is way off his game and has only demonstrated his capabilities in a few games. I think he is the key if this team is to get going on a roll. He needs to use his speed and not drift all over the ice. Please shoot more Sasha!! Become more selfish and shoot the puck instead of trying to be the setup man. Let Jordan be the setup man.

What? Semin has been amazing the past two or three games. He's shown some good chemistry with Jordan Staal. He sets Jordan up for Grade-A chances at least 3 times a game, and those chances should be goals. He's definitely help Jordan keep his game up and develop his offense more. Semin did start slow, but so did 2/3rds of the team. Since coming back he slowly has been stepping up more and more, and now he's producing points again. Semin is not only passing amazingly well again, but he's done a few dangles we saw last year that we haven't seen yet this year until recently, and he's starting to learn to shoot it at better times and in better situations to create more chances with rebounds. He used to always go high corner either side, but he's starting to go low as well. Thats making it harder for goalies to know where he's going to place the puck or if he's going to pass instead. I think he's going to go on a big point streak soon.

As for Semin passing so much rather than shooting, I truly believe it's because NO ONE ELSE on this team can pass as well as him, and he knows if he can get it to the open guy they'd have a better chance of scoring than him because of his passing ability. We need a real playmaker. I'd take a flyer on Hemsky and love to see a powerplay unit like: 

Skinner - E. - Hemsky

Semin - Sekera

or fit Ruutu in there to be the screener. Or swap out E. with J. and have him the screen guy.

If that unit can't score I don't know what we can possibly do with our PP to get it working. But I truly believe we need a real top-6 playmaker, someone who can pass as well as Sasha so he can start getting set up instead of having to set up others. Hemsky may not be the guy, but there's someone out there who would fit the bill and is available.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I watched phila and oilers, oilers, took 3-2 lead, then phila scores late on 6-4  or  it was 5-4 , thenpull it out in OT,   major bummer

Yeah, but this season he's not going to finish anywhere near a PPG pace. Unless he like goes Super Saiyan and goes on a real tear to finish the season, which I would LOVE to see.

Kamehame-goal!!!

The undeniable truth is the Canes are a bottom third hockey team,  Tonight they sit in 25th places just ahead of the Kitty-kats, Flames, Isle and the Slugs

Just like the team has no confidence in themselves, I have no confidence in the team. I really thought this was our rebound year after the nosedive last season. I really don't care who moves anymore. Do something to at least LOOK like management cares. 

We started out having a problem playing a full 60 minutes. Then our powerplay was powerless and we couldn't score more than two goals. Then our Penalty Kill started choking and Cam Ward is playing the worst we've ever seen. Now, our coaching staff seems to have no problem losing as long as we show effort, and management still has yet to make a move. 

Like last year, they are waiting too long to make a move, and unfortunately it seems like last year, the move will come too late. 

Optimism at an all time low. And I was pretty optimistic about tonight, look at my GDT posts tonight.

Also, I think it's time Muller goes. And I like him. 

Edited by SuckaPunchd

As for Semin passing so much rather than shooting, I truly believe it's because NO ONE ELSE on this team can pass as well as him, and he knows if he can get it to the open guy they'd have a better chance of scoring than him because of his passing ability. 

Once again...   :goodpost:

Just terrible, when will someone realize that this "team" isn't getting it done.  Faulk was -3 I believe....he hasn't been consistent at all this year....and the goaltending.  Oy vey!

Question: When did Gleason get his "A" back? I didnt notice it until last night. Are we done trying to trade him? Why do we still have 3 keepers? So confused with the front office at this point.

We have 3 keepers because:

1. Is overpaid, inconsistent, and can't be moved because of a NTC.

2. One guy we lost all hope in then somehow he found his game but has recently come back down to earth thus hurting his value.

3. Our only hope for this season lies in K-DUB. Yes I said it. This guy will be the only reason we get to the playoffs if he can play well. Did I mention he has been injured for the last 20 odd games?