The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Pylon? Not Pylon! 

TSA, I guess I should have been more specific when I said a move just to make a move. I meant an actual move of an actual player, that actually plays, and actually plays some semblance of NHL actual hockey.

But, it does free up a roster spot, and some salary before everyone realizes that goons are a fading breed and they become worthless entirely.

Again, according to Forslund, Dreger is one of the "plugged in" guys that gets fed information from GM's and staff.

I really thought a move needed to happen during our break 15-19 December, but few if any moves were made anywhere, so probably a tough time to get it done. 

I refuse to believe that Pylon is the only move.

Edited by remkin

Peters is going to be gone, JR mentions that the team needs to return to a two-goalie system because of the salary cap, which could or could not mean he was putting Ward on the table and not getting any significant interest, and then goes ahead and says Dobby might start against the Caps, which doesn't make sense if we don't move Peters.

Well guys, I just got into Raleigh a few hours ago for the game tomorrow night...looks like Emma's first Canes game is gonna be full of fireworks!

Don't know what other move is coming, but JR needs to shake this team up NOW. 44 games left, I think, and if we win 29, that gets us to mid-90's points usually needed to make the playoffs. If JR only traded Westgarth so he can carry 3 goalies for the rest of the year, we are finished. Goaltending has been soft the last 3 games, but so has the defense, and w/exception of Skinner, none of our scorers are producing. Have we played a goalie this year who was not "hot"? I am tired of watching us score 2 goals a game or less!

I'd rather see the Canes shoot some fireworks on the ice ... but lately all we have to get excited about is some BS trade rumors.   Happy 2014 with more of the damn same from JR ?

Peters is going to be gone, JR mentions that the team needs to return to a two-goalie system because of the salary cap, which could or could not mean he was putting Ward on the table and not getting any significant interest, and then goes ahead and says Dobby might start against the Caps, which doesn't make sense if we don't move Peters.

Peters has proven to have some value to a team seeking a back-up goalie.  just how much is something TBD.  maybe a mid-round draft pick?

Anton Khudobin tonights 1st star.  Turning away 41 of 43 shots in Checkers win.

Maybe his last game in Charlotte.

Yeah. OK, you're conditioned, oh and your our number one goalie too. Welcome back.

As for return on Peters, any pick past the second round is very close to getting nothing, and obviously nothing that will help now. I don't see any way we trade Khudobin. 

Gleason or Ruutu still, what brings much back w/ their contracts and both have NTC's. 

Still I think he has to move Gleason, but of course that doesn't mean he can or will....

Good move to release ourselves of the contract and one Kevin Westgarth.  Makes sense Burke would take him since he seems to be one of the last holdouts of the goon era.

Barring another move, I hope we go with something like this tonight -

Bowman - Staal - Semin

Gerbe- Staal - Dwyer

Skinner - Nash - Ruutu

Boychuk - Maholtra - Dvorak

After Skinner's 2 and 3 goal games in December, he's been -10 on the top line with Staal and Ruutu.  Just not enough defense there to keep Skinner-Staal together.  It's a defensive train wreck.

Looks like Peters is out, sooner than later.  I wonder if JR had some conversations about trading Ward given his comments about the NHL being a "salary cap league".

Looks like Peters is out, sooner than later.  I wonder if JR had some conversations about trading Ward given his comments about the NHL being a "salary cap league".

Ward, Gleason or perhaps others.  Here's more of the quote:

“We may make a trade to change the mix of the team, but with the (salary) cap system it’s not easy to make trades,” Rutherford said. “It’s not like the day before Christmas where you can run over to Target and pick something off the shelf. You need a trade partner.”

Can't dump salary without taking some on.  Can't take some on without a dump otherwise you go over the cap (just can't go to Target).

I loved the "Target" quote.  JR hears the fans and must go crazy when we come up with some of our nutty ideas.  :)  Then again, it wasn't our nutty idea to give some of the numbers he handed out either.

Yeah. OK, you're conditioned, oh and your our number one goalie too. Welcome back.

As for return on Peters, any pick past the second round is very close to getting nothing, and obviously nothing that will help now. I don't see any way we trade Khudobin. 

Gleason or Ruutu still, what brings much back w/ their contracts and both have NTC's. 

Still I think he has to move Gleason, but of course that doesn't mean he can or will....

I guess he is considering Peters/Gleason/Ruutu/Bowman. There's been some talk of JR sniffing around Morrow again.

Interesting article on the Canes usage of players including Semin. http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1869249-which-nhl-teams-are-using-their-players-most-effectively-in-2013-14-season#/articles/1869249-which-nhl-teams-are-using-their-players-most-effectively-in-2013-14-season/page/6

I persononally would not want Morrow. He chose not to come here as a FA so why would he want to be here now? That usage chart was cool. Thanks for sharing Slapshot.

I think JR is at the point that he will listen to any and all offers. I don't mean he would trade certain players but that he will listen. His comments and the trade have sent a message to other GM's that he is in a mood to make deals.

Cam Ward, Gleason. Ruutu. They all have NTCs meaning they are going nowhere. The only way they would agree to a trade is if we benched them consistently and they actually wanted to play for another team. Otherwise they will sit in the press box and have injury free seasons and laugh at JR and management all the way to the bank.

Unless Cam or Gleason are being traded to a contender or at or near their home town, I just don't see them agreeing. Especially since both have families now and have ties to the area....