The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

IBTD.  From what I was hearing by the locker room rumor-mongers, he bailed on the start the night Cam got hurt because he had a "slight cold."  He only played sick and injured after that because he backed himself into a corner.

Well I'm not in the locker room, so who knows? That non start was baffling, I'll give you that. But if I recall he also played with some flu like illness w/ a fever at least once and i think the next game too. And I thought he played with an injury for a while also.

I will give you this, if I recall after that time, Peters got a run of starts before we saw Ellis again. So there might be something to that. Still, had Cam not gotten hurt, would we be discussing?

Also, there was a lot of talk on here before that of what a great team guy he was. Calling it like it was, taking responsibility, etc. Further, I think if Ellis was seriously iffy in that dept. JR wouldn't have negotiated w/ him at all.

As to OBXer I will agree w/ the problem of the term. My guess is that was the rub. Money? I'd overpay a bit, term? No. If he wanted 4 years and NTC or something like that, you gotta let him walk. I bet a guy who was where he was during the last offseason puts a big premium on length of the deal, but JR does not want to be tied down long term to a possibly injury prone guy. 

But between the pipes, stopping pucks, next year, I doubt we end up doing better. I hope we do, but look at the litany of previous backups.

Edited by remkin

Well I'm not in the locker room, so who knows? That non start was baffling, I'll give you that. But if I recall he also played with some flu like illness w/ a fever at least once and i think the next game too. And I thought he played with an injury for a while also.

I will give you this, if I recall after that time, Peters got a run of starts before we saw Ellis again. So there might be something to that. Still, had Cam not gotten hurt, would we be discussing?

Also, there was a lot of talk on here before that of what a great team guy he was. Calling it like it was, taking responsibility, etc. Further, I think if Ellis was seriously iffy in that dept. JR wouldn't have negotiated w/ him at all.

As to OBXer I will agree w/ the problem of the term. My guess is that was the rub. Money? I'd overpay a bit, term? No. If he wanted 4 years and NTC or something like that, you gotta let him walk. I bet a guy who was where he was during the last offseason puts a big premium on length of the deal, but JR does not want to be tied down long term to a possibly injury prone guy. 

But between the pipes, stopping pucks, next year, I doubt we end up doing better. I hope we do, but look at the litany of previous backups.

It's probably as simple as a meeting with his agent. He probably looked over his options and the offer and realized this is a huge opportunity for him in the free agency. Between compliance buyouts and the cap decreasing, Ellis has a shot at joining a team in the backup position in a much better position to compete for a championship making roughly the same he would in Carolina or more, and playing more games potentially.

I dont think many backups get more thn 2 years do they??? Im torn on Ellis, but hes better  than Peters..

I dont think many backups get more thn 2 years do they??? Im torn on Ellis, but hes better  than Peters..

I have a garden gnome that may be better than Peters.

Rosco P Coltrane! Ca Coot Coot!

:D

Where is Flash?

Is PK Boss Hog or JR? Is Chantel Daisy Duke?

Edited by Kyrule

What about offering Jason LaBarbera of the Coyotes? 

A month or two ago I put LaBarbera's name out there (during a discussion about potential back-ups) as my preferred option, so yeah, I think he would be a guy to target. He will probably cost too much though. He really battles and at times he kept the Coyotes afloat last year when Smith went down.

What about offering Jason LaBarbera of the Coyotes? 

His numbers look good. Wonder what the backup goalie FA market is looking like this year. I guess JR thinks favorable for the team and Ellis thinks favorable for the back ups. LaBarbera would certainly look to fit the bill if his bill wasn't too big. Still might be worth overpaying a little now that we let Ellis walk?

Edited by remkin

I'd pay LaBarbera up to 1.25M to backup Cam...that's how much faith I have in his abilities to fill the role.

Then whip out your checkbook.  I'm sure JR would use your money to sign him.

Then whip out your checkbook.  I'm sure JR would use your money to sign him.

The problem with goaltending and payroll is we pay Cam 6.7m, which is more than a lot of teams pay for both goalies, let alone their starter. So JR balances it out with really really cheap backup goalie contracts. That shortens the list of potential backups, and it also can explain our lack of a quality backup in recent years. 

I'm not sure what we wound up spending on Boucher but I'm fairly sure it was over a mil for the best backup on the market at the time. I know he got injured but we did try the "throw money" at the problem route.

Worse comes to worse, there might be a decent backup hitting the market if someone finally trades Vancouver for either Luongo or Schneider.

Worse comes to worse, there might be a decent backup hitting the market if someone finally trades Vancouver for either Luongo or Schneider.

It might be worth the money to go after either one.

Greg, we're not missing out on any of these coaches. We don't need one. Maybe a new assistant coaching staff, but we're set with a head coach.

No way in hades will we be able to afford Schneider or Luongo, unless you mean one of whatever-team-that-traded-with-VAN's goalies.

One option, the aging Nabokov. I think it's becoming clear he might not be a starter calibre anymore, but he'd be one hell of a backup. Although I'm sure NYI wants to resign him and still acquire a new guy.

Timmy won't come and play with em...they need Nabokov right now...no way they let him go

They have some serious cap space and they've already been listed as in the running for both Luongo and Bernier. If they land that goalie that they want, Nabakov would become expendable, especially if they acquire that goalie before re-signing Nabby. But most realistically he stays with the Isles and splits time with the new guy.

Komisarek to be bought out as well. Things are starting to happen :D

EDIT: 

Larry Brooks reports teams can only use their amnesty buyouts during the initial buyout period (48 hours following the completion of the Stanley Cup Final to 5 pm ET July 4), and not during the second buyout period which follows the end of salary arbitration in August.

:[ Why don't we buy someone out? 

Edited by SuckaPunchd

TSNBobMcKenzie: Knock me over with a feather, but MTL has officially notified Tomas Kaberle that the dman will be MTL's second and final compliance buyout.

Edited by TheFaulker