The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

We absolutely have to go after komisarek. 6'4 243, hitter and shot blocker. No contest

Not to mention if his 4.5 hit was too much not only for Toronto but for anyone else to trade for him, his price is going to be set low and affordable. I'd be willing to take a shot on him, for a year to three years, depending on cap hit.

NHL on XM guys thought at a decent price Komisarek could be a decent #4-5 guy.

They also thought Kaberle has worn out his welcome and was done in the NHL.

NHL on XM guys thought at a decent price Komisarek could be a decent #4-5 guy.

They also thought Kaberle has worn out his welcome and was done in the NHL.

I still scratch my head wondering how JR pulled off that epic trade dump.

Twinkies are about to be re-released again.  Kabs can use some of that buy out money to bulk up and get back in his Hurricanes shape.

How JR pawned that heap of lard off on another GM is hard to believe.

Wild re-sign Niklas Backstrom 3 years, $10.25 million

This makes me facepalm over Ward's contract again. I mean, once it's up in two years or something what will he be asking for? He makes 6.7 now.

I agree  AWAC, how is the little one?

She's doing great...she'll be 7 months old on Sunday...her and Momma are back in Oklahoma cause I'm currently in A**crackistan for a bit.

992784_10101475329689367_1091079626_a.jp

How JR pawned that heap of lard off on another GM is hard to believe.

As much as I dog JR for some of his other head-scratching trades, he definitely pulled a rabbit out of his hat here.

Bernier traded to Leafs for Frattin, Scrivens, and a second round pick.

Someone call the Toronto police...the Maple Leafs just got robbed!

:[ Why don't we buy someone out? 

Other than Joni, who else with an exorbitantly high contract hasn't lived up to it (or still has the potential to)?  The rest of the guys can be dangled as trade bait...or just allowed to walk after their contract expires.

>>> Other than Joni, who else with an exorbitantly high contract hasn't lived up to it

Jordan Staal's remaining total salary is worth $60-million!  

That remaining money deal ranks him with folks like

Marian Hossa 

Rick Nash
Jeff Carter

and pays him significantly more than:

Pavel Datsyuk
Thomas Vanek
Jason Spezza
Pekka Rinne
Anze Kopitar
Zdeno Chara
and even Malkin and Lundqvist

>>> Other than Joni, who else with an exorbitantly high contract hasn't lived up to it

Jordan Staal's remaining total salary is worth $60-million!  

That remaining money deal ranks him with folks like

Marian Hossa 

Rick Nash
Jeff Carter

and pays him significantly more than:

Pavel Datsyuk
Thomas Vanek
Jason Spezza
Pekka Rinne
Anze Kopitar
Zdeno Chara
and even Malkin and Lundqvist

For starters your compareables are off because you seem to be comparing how much the players have remaining on their contracts, not how much thier salary or cap hit is for the year.  A quick search shows Hossa, Nash, and Chara are all earning close to 8 million a year, significantly more than J. Staal's 6 million per year.  He just happens to have longer left on his contract.  

Also, I think we can all agree not to the judge the output of a guy playing half a year for a new team with no training camp.  He was also center who most often faced off against the other team's top offensive players.

This makes me facepalm over Ward's contract again. I mean, once it's up in two years or something what will he be asking for? He makes 6.7 now.

Considering that playoff level goalies are going for much less, I think he might be in for a rude awakening.

Bryz didn't set the world on fire in Philly. When I saw him with the Desert Dawgs a couple of seasons ago he looked like a promising goalie.

I would think he will consider taking the money and heading for the KHL to play.

Now if it is a question of pride and he wants a chance to re-brand himself in the NHL he might take a 1 year contract. I don't know what kind of money he would expect. I guess until we get some buyouts signing contracts it is hard to tell what the going rate is.

he will get 1.6 a year from Philly. If we could offer 1.4 he would still be 3 mil under what his contract was but that isn't chump change.

I'm not sold on Bryz but we need a backup.

STARTRIBUNE.COM: Michael Russo reports the Minnesota Wild’s re-signing of Niklas Backstrom to a reduced salary gives the Wild some additional cap space, but GM Chuck Fletcher cannot retain everyone, and could either trade Tom Gilbert ($4 million for next season) or buy him out, plus its’ believed Justin Falk and Zenon Konopka are available. Cal Clutterbuck is an RFA and could accept a cap friendly one year contract, but he has trade value, as it’s believed the Edmonton Oilers have interest in him.

Imaging a Justin Falk - Justin Faulk pairing  :twilight-zone:

Also, Cal Clutterbuck is exactly EXACTLY EXACTLY what this team needs. Perfect for our third line, isn't an offensive liability nor defensively, and hits like a friggin' truck. Whether it be an offer sheet or a trade, we should really consider seriously pursuing Cal Clutterbuck.

Ok,   not touching that one :),  clutterbuck  has been on my radar list for the last  2  years..

OBXer, I understood thatBryz is somewhat of a "head case". Not sure that's the kind of distraction our lockerroom needs.

Like I said I'm not sold on Bryz and a head case isn't what we need. i was just thinking out loud from the previous post that he was available. I think I would rather keep Ellis if we can but we do need a backup.

Bryz will be bought out my Philly.  

Think he'd be cheap enough for a backup role? 

If Bryz doesnt play another game, he gets 1.6 million for next 14 years???   Insane..

Considering that playoff level goalies are going for much less, I think he might be in for a rude awakening.

Cammer has to stay healthy next 2 years, for that last big contract.. i know easier said than done.. fingers crossed.. IT  all   starts with Cam.