The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Another season another disappointment. I am done going to games. This team sucks BIG time. More than a trade is needed. At this point I think an entire management overhaul is needed starting with firing JR. He does not have what it takes to put a successful product on the ice.

Our passing sucks, we are not physical at all, and we do not take enough shots. On the plus side they did put huge screens up in the nose bleeds. Anyone seen them yet? They're pretty nice!

I disagree about JR. I think he's made some pretty worthwhile additions, especially recently. There are always exceptions of course. I think it's really up to the coaches at this point to get the most out of the players. For whatever reason, this system, this coaching staff is not getting it done consistently.

I don't believe for a second that any player on an NHL roster truly "sucks" or doesn't put in the effort, of course there are exceptions here too. The players, management and coaches are NEVER okay with losing at this level. It's absurd to think that, even when you're frustrated watching it as a fan. The players are probably more frustrated.

The players we have are talented, there's no question when you look at the names on paper that we should be better than we are. Is Muller using that talent appropriately? Are the set plays, breakouts, line combinations and other system specifics playing to the strengths of our personnel? I'm not an expert on hockey systems and certainly not informed enough to coach an NHL team, but Muller seems extremely patient and seems to preach staying the course in most of his post game interviews. Stay the course and stick to the plan and you'll be rewarded is the message. I don't think you can get away with that if there are obvious deficiencies in the team game and I'm not sure if Muller is willing to make drastic changes when they're needed. Look at what Oates did for a struggling Ovechkin for example. 

Opposing teams do their homework on us before we play. They know our system and they come up with a game plan for it. We do the same for the teams we play against. If a team has figured out a way to shutdown certain aspects of your system, you have to adapt and find a way around it. We don't seem to do that. Muller seems to grind away and hope that it works out, and maybe it does sometimes. If it hasn't broken through by the 3rd period, something has to be done. Calgary was defending our guys extremely well, we weren't getting shots through, we weren't getting clean passes through, we were getting boxed out in front of the net. We weren't able to establish a legitimate forecheck or use our point shots. That continued for 60 minutes. CGY defended our forecheck beautifully and we never adapted outside of shuffling the lines.

Now, I'm not going to pretend to know what the right move is in last night's situation, but I expect the coach at this level to be able to figure it out. If he can't, we won't win the tough games.

As it stands now, this team doesn't have what it takes to win it all. We could slide into the playoffs still, but success there would probably be limited. I think we need a proven coach to unlock the roster's potential.

Again, I could be completely wrong about all of this.

You guys are more short term oriented than Wall Street. I mean seriously, it's insane!

After a win: "WE"RE GONNA MAKE A DEEP RUN IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!"

After a loss: "TRADE CAM/ERIC/RUUTU/JORDAN, FIRE JR, FIRE MULLER! ANOTHER SEASON DOWN THE DRAIN!"

Take a step back people...we were tanking, then had a 5 game win streak, and now two losses in a row. Every team has ups and downs. While I agree, I am nervous that we will once again miss the playoffs, I think we all agree that this team has the talent to make the playoffs and is at least average. It is not a BAD team that needs to blow up and start over (ex. Buffalo/Edmonton). We have played below our potential the last 2 seasons IMO (since we got Semin and J Staal I think we turned a point in saying that the talent simply wasn't there. We have the talent). We just saw a 5 game flash of that potential. Now let's see if they can play more like that and less like the last 1.5 years. JR will probably have to do some roster tweaking, and Muller still needs to coach, but the up and down swings on this forum are ridiculous. The bottom line is that this is a borderline playoff team that is flirting with the line and will continue to do so for the rest of the year, but should make the post season based on our talent and personnel. So going on one of these swings and saying we are an elite team or a terrible team is simply ridiculous.

LFADAM. are you a new fan? Because if you were not you would realize this it is once again the same old story this year as it is every other year. We are at best a .500 team. That is all we are...no more no less.

Take a step back people...we were tanking, then had a 5 game win streak, and now two losses in a row. Every team has ups and downs.

What's their record for the last 10 games?  That's right, 11 pts out of a possible 20.  Guess what.  That gets you just short of the playoffs.  That's right on track with the entire season, 47 pts in 46 games.

Bzzzt.  A bad season.

Normally, LFADAM, I'd be agreeing with you about knee-jerk reactions.  Not this time.  We have a right.  We've been suffering through this pattern time and time and time again.  We've seen this before.  We have a right.

bluedevil already said it...

You guys are more short term oriented than Wall Street. I mean seriously, it's insane!

After a win: "WE"RE GONNA MAKE A DEEP RUN IN THE PLAYOFFS!!!"

After a loss: "TRADE CAM/ERIC/RUUTU/JORDAN, FIRE JR, FIRE MULLER! ANOTHER SEASON DOWN THE DRAIN!"

Take a step back people...we were tanking, then had a 5 game win streak, and now two losses in a row. Every team has ups and downs. While I agree, I am nervous that we will once again miss the playoffs, I think we all agree that this team has the talent to make the playoffs and is at least average. It is not a BAD team that needs to blow up and start over (ex. Buffalo/Edmonton). We have played below our potential the last 2 seasons IMO (since we got Semin and J Staal I think we turned a point in saying that the talent simply wasn't there. We have the talent). We just saw a 5 game flash of that potential. Now let's see if they can play more like that and less like the last 1.5 years. JR will probably have to do some roster tweaking, and Muller still needs to coach, but the up and down swings on this forum are ridiculous. The bottom line is that this is a borderline playoff team that is flirting with the line and will continue to do so for the rest of the year, but should make the post season based on our talent and personnel. So going on one of these swings and saying we are an elite team or a terrible team is simply ridiculous.

Honestly, we have earned the right to have mood swings around here based on historical, not recent, but historical performance of this team. You want to hang your hat on the 5 game winning streak and we are talking about season after season of disappointment. Those glimpses of "potential" are maddening, but I'm still here asking for more.

Everyone is allowed to have their opinions, but I think a lot of it has to do with expectations.  Some feel we have a chance at the playoffs, some feel we are going to be bottom feeders.  As for me, I've only been following the team since 2011, so I don't have the history on my side.  But, going into this season, I felt the team needed to prove something after the collapse of last season, and I didn't pencil them into a playoff spot.  I think the team is about right where I expected - around hockey .500.  We've seen flashes of greatness, but nothing long term.  This team is very streakish.  Yes, I'd like us to be better, and I'd like us to add pieces, but I'm not knowledgable enough to know what and who we need.  I don't think we're in a great spot now, but we're not in a bad spot either.  However, I can understand the frustration of watching an inconsistent team.  I definitely don't want us to be shutout for the 3rd game in a row.

There have been ups and downs this season that resulted in frustration but I will say last night caused me more concern than any other game of the year. We won 5, lost a game 1-0 and entered last night with the opportunity to get back in the win column. We were playing a team we should of defeated and we had 4 days of rest in front of us. There are no excuses for not coming out skating hard and fast and to leave it all on he ice. There were several times during the game where our players were standing still and it looked like they were waiting for the "other " guy to make the play. Slow skating, horrific passing,loosing most of the battles along the boards was very dissapointing. This game reminded me of the game against Tampa Bay a few years back. Last game of the season, if we won we were in the playoffs. We came out with no energy and laid an egg,missed the playoffs. Looked just like last night. Without even  going into team personnel, coaching or our GM, a team that comes out with no effort is a team that does not have the right mentality. Pathetic effort.

Most recently, I've been taking a step back since 2009.  I've held it together for the most part. 

I rarely look at Divisional standings.  I like to see our position in the league, against all 30 teams.  It's not pretty, and I'm frustrated, damn frustrated.

I reserve the right to vent or have an occasional knee-jerk reaction.  :Oops:

I rarely look at Divisional standings.  I like to see our position in the league, against all 30 teams.  It's not pretty, and I'm frustrated, damn frustrated.

That's kind of where I am these days.  Earlier some were saying "The Canes are only 3 points (or so) out of a playoff spot" and I was seeing a team that was about 24th in the league.  It's hard for me to get my hopes up too high when that's the case.  Over the course of a season, a whole division isn't going to suck and a team or three is going to get hot, and we've seen that in the Metro lately.

On  a lighter note, as i am listening to the  Backyard  Bistro with Mike   M.and Estaal,.    Mike M  says why do you wear those yellow shorts....under the  pants...  Staal says   in a  matter  of fact way... Thats my  Jock!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL...... i needed that laugh, Mike   didnt know what to say..

I missed the Calgary game (Monday is poker night up here at the lake).  But after reading about it, I've got to admit that this is the first time this year that my Canes playoff optimism gauge has dipped into the pessimistic range. This last game was not just MUST WIN, but also SHOULD WIN.  I wish I knew what the answer is . . .

Edited by LakeLivin

On  a lighter note, as i am listening to the  Backyard  Bistro with Mike   M.and Estaal,.    Mike M  says why do you wear those yellow shorts....under the  pants...  Staal says   in a  matter  of fact way... Thats my  Jock!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL...... i needed that laugh, Mike   didnt know what to say..

That's pretty funny.

That's kind of where I am these days.  Earlier some were saying "The Canes are only 3 points (or so) out of a playoff spot"

Exactly!  And guess what?  The Flyers won tonight.  NJ won tonight.  3 becomes 4 or 5. 

Nobody is sitting around.  Everyone is playing and trying to win too.  The Flyers have "it" lately.  Did you see the game?  Got the game winning goal in the last 14 seconds.   The Canes won't catch up to this team because they are playing.

But the caps and rangers lost, but get your point, when your  rooting for all 5 of the teams to lose, after  a  devastating loss, its  well.. depressing... ANY moves yet???  JR, i want you on that phone, 24-7  no sleep!

There is no doubt that Calgary loss was a kick in the nether-regions. That was a complacent team that was thinking it could win that game without getting it's hands dirty. That was what happens when one team comes to play and the other doesn't. It was a key moment and at home, so it does hurt. I've seen it the other way too though. Good teams come in here and just don't have it. 

Still, it is one game. Coaches know that their team is going to show up around 10 times per year and just have nothing going. Just about all teams. 

The question remains the same. Is this Cane's team the one that put together that winning streak, or are we a team that will run long stretches uninspired, then make a few fits and starts? As with the stock market it is all about the future. Where is this team going? Where it has been, is definitely part of it, but whether this team can put the pieces together and right the ship and go on another run or not will tell the tale. 

I still think we have the horses, but the inconstancy makes it very hard to stand firm on the Island. 

I must say, we are in the exact position where I would think we really need a trade. Sad to say, but Ruutu is just not bringing it. I guess those hip surgeries left him subpar. He might find it at some point, but we need a move. Now of course Ruutu is our second in a row that we might move that has a NTC, so that will make it tougher. 

Anyway, my opinion is that this is a key pivotal moment that calls for a trade. We have been pointing out for about....forever, that we need a true NHL caliber 3rd line center. Ideally one with some grit, but one that plays hard and makes plays. I still think that guy together w/ Skinner and LIndholm could create a very effective scoring third line. 

Today is the day for it. The new guy would still have two days to work w/ his new team, and then two more home games to get settled in.

Can we lay that egg of Monday and still make the playoffs? Of course, but with the schedule not being kind after the Olympics, we need to respond to that loss. One response should be by JR, to make that move now.

Edited by remkin

rem, you're my leader, and I'm with you until the bitter end. I'm just afraid that if Rutherford doesn't make that 3C trade soon, I/we may have to break out our SCUBA gear!!

Dredger says Ruutu's name is popping up again...

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/422438653734830081

LD, this fanatsy reminds me of " the boy who cried wolf too many times", and I'll not believe it until Ruutu actually signs on the dotted line. Something is obviously holding up any deal involving Ruu, whether it be "injury", injury nature, movement restriction or terms of contract, I think if a deal were possible, than JR would have pulled the trigger. Sadly, and I truly love this player, I think that the only way he will be moved is with a buyout. I hope I'm proven wrong, we get a decent return and Ruu goes somewhere that he reemerges, but I just have bad feelings for how this plays out.

Thanks Kjun!

I keep remembering that Forslund said that Dreger is one of those plugged in guys actually used by GM's to get the word out. 

So it does mean that Ruutu is in play at least from our end. 

I agree w/ Kjun though, that just because his name is being floated, doesn't mean a deal happens. 

Though the Gleason deal did eventually happen.

Really feel like that trade right now would be good timing.

I'm gonna put my money on a Peters,Ruutu package happening by friday for a 40-50point third line center.  That is if Ruutu is convinced to waive his NTC.  If he doesn't than it will be Peters and somebody or draft picks.  either way, Petey's gotta be going soon.   Hate to see it, he's such a good guy and put his heart out there for the team and got us a lot of wins in November.