The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

This is from Dreger on Twitter today:

Not that that is big news as almost any trade possible.  With Dreger, there is usually a fire causing that kind of smoke.

Cam Ward trade is possible, but Carolina requires great return to consider in-season. He should return to action next week.

What if we trade Ward and Ruutu to the Jets for Ladd and Setoguchi? It'd likely be a trade deadline move when the Jets know where they stand playoff wise, which obviously if they're in the mix they'll want a playoff calibar goaltender (Ward, who will take the change of scenery and run with it imo,) and Ruutu is a much better fit for their third line then Seto (who will likely up his production if put with Skinner imo.)

I would do cartwheels to get laddie , on flip side. bummed if  Cam is gone, but you have to give something to get something.

As much as I like Evander Kane, Yakupov, Brierre they are all natural wingers. Our need is a center. I think JR would have a shot at Shawn Mathias 25 yrs old 6'4 230lbs natural center. I'd plant him in front of the net and tell him not to move, lol. To bad Tlusty is sidelined as he may of fit that trade nicely.Ruutu, Peters, Bowman still remain as trade bait.

I still have a feeling that Shawn Mathias could be one of our targets and one that we could actually trade for.

This makes me think:

1. JR realizes he has to make a real move, not just jettison a goalie.

2. JR thinks Khudobin is for real. (Just can't be ready to turn it all over to Peters).

3. He is not getting much play dangling Tlusty, Ruutu, Peters, or any of our assembled Nash, Bowman, Boychuk types.

1. I hope this is the case.

2. It's risky but I'm ready/willing to take that chance. Others are not and I completely respect their opinion.

3. I think this is the real issue. This is the real problem. Hopefully JR knows we need a real change/move, and not just dumping players or trading for another player who is just a cast-off/journeyman/reclamation project.

Edited by Kyrule

This is from Dreger on Twitter today:

Not that that is big news as almost any trade possible.  With Dreger, there is usually a fire causing that kind of smoke.

Cam Ward trade is possible, but Carolina requires great return to consider in-season. He should return to action next week.

The way that is worded, and knowing that Dreger is used by GM's to get the word out, JR is basically letting the NHL GM world know that Cam is available for the right price.

This tells me:

1. JR realizes that he must make a move to bring a real quality forward back, not just offload a goalie.

2. JR thinks Khudobin is for real.

3. JR is not getting any decent offers for Tlusty, Ruutu, Peters, et all.

4. JR agrees with the 35% of you who voted in the poll to trade Ward for the right price.

Edit: The dropping of the quote box any time you edit a post is quite annoying. Especially for those of us that tend to make a lot of typos!

See! I went to edit my post. It dropped the quote box. So I tried to copy my post, delete the old post, then paste another reply. I messed that up and had to type it again and now is is after Krule's response. 

Seems like there must be a fix for this.

Not that it is akin to finding world peace, but still...

Edit: The dropping of the quote box any time you edit a post is quite annoying. Especially for those of us that tend to make a lot of typos!

Seems like there must be a fix for this.

Not that it is akin to finding world peace, but still...

I found a work around but not a fix. When your finished editing go back and highlight the text you want in the quote box and click on the quote icon in the editor.  It is frustrating.

Very brief article about Semin being left off team Russia. Honestly I don't blame them, it hasn't been a good season so far for Alex. We sure could use the Semin from last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-alex-semin-left-off-team-russia-140020157--nhl.html

Sort of a double-slap to the face of Canes fans, Semin doesn't make it due to poor play, and Nichushkin makes it.

If Cam is being shopped, it is more than likely for a top winger to play with Eric and Semin. While I liked Skinner playing on the first line, he would be more effective playing on a different line. I wouldn't mind Ladd ($4.4mil) and Little($4.7mil). This would give us a winger to play with Eric and Semin and a center. We'd probably have to send another player, like Ruutu to balance out the dollars.

Very brief article about Semin being left off team Russia. Honestly I don't blame them, it hasn't been a good season so far for Alex. We sure could use the Semin from last year.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nhl-puck-daddy/why-alex-semin-left-off-team-russia-140020157--nhl.html

Sort of a double-slap to the face of Canes fans, Semin doesn't make it due to poor play, and Nichushkin makes it.

Yup, this whole Semin thing is kind of Scary.  7millin for 5 years and Sekera and Gerbe are  putting up better numbers.  Lets hope whatever mental/physical long term slump he's in comes to an end or this will be the franchises biggest mistake ever.  I believe he's lost for some reason and doesn't know what to do out there, pass, shoot, etc.......every shot off target, every pass off target, pucks bouncing over his stick or going between his legs cause he didn't have his stick down ready for a pass,  and now he's even looking lazy with his skating.   I think he'll be back but what it will take for him to find his confidence and game again is beyond me.

This is the same stuff people who hated on Jordan Staal said because he didn't immediately put up 60 - 70 pts.

The first year in a  5 year extension. If next year is as bad, then I would understand concern. But first off the season isn't even over, and secondly, as I said before, it's his first year in a 5 year extension. Not to mention he had an injury in pre-season/camp and then a concussion mid season where our captain walked over him and kept going.

I also want to see more from Semin. He is post concussion and maybe that's part of it, but if he could get going that would be big, could unlock that whole top line magic.

Today on NHL on XM the feeling was Ward was close to unmovable due to his contract. But it would be really interesting to see what JR has been offered, or what it would take to make it go.

That 3rd line center is out there,  I ask you again  JR, Do you have the canolis if they offer something[meaning any team] to let Cam go, knowing  [i think]  he will revert close to his elite self.. Pull the trigger, have to put sentiment aside, with  Semin, the passing and skating is i there, don't know why the shot speed isn't there? We  need a catergory   storm this weekend!

Word has it Semin has a nagging wrist problem and will likely get surgery this offseason. So if true, he's playing with a tweaked wrist. Let's wait and reserve judgement.

Just finished reading Michael Smith's Tracking The Storm about reuniting the first line of Tlusty, E Staal, Semin   Further down in the article it said Lindy will center third line with Skinner and Ruutu. It looks like we might be trying to see if Lindy is ready to be our 3rd line center.

That would make sense if Semin has a nagging wrist injury. The lack of goals at times this year (aka the whole season except for when E Staal and/or Skinner get hot) is very alarming. I don't think we've ever had this much forward talent, or at least not since '06 and the goals aren't there. What happened to the magic line of Tlusty Staal Semin? Again, if Semin has a nagging injury, then that is understandable. I'm a big fan of his, but he really needs to produce for us to win, more so than Ruutu and Tlusty in my opinion. But that is 3 top 6 players that have been invisible, that have a history of being really effective. I don't know what gives.

As I said earlier, I get that everyone is frustrated with being a bubble playoff team once again, but I'm much more concerned that we have more talent than I have ever seen and no Mo and for some reason it just isn't working. Hopefully they can work it out

This is the same stuff people who hated on Jordan Staal said because he didn't immediately put up 60 - 70 pts.

From my end, I was just posting an article about Semin being left off the Olympic team, it wasn't meant bash him. I said he has had a bad year to this point (he has) and that I hope he turns it around. This is nothing like the Jordan hate, that was brutal and well deserved IMO. Semin has already shown how good he can be here, Jordan had not.

Jordan looked lazy and disinterested after signing a 10 year 60 million dollar contract with a new team. We were angry. Now he has turned it around and has been our best overall forward for the last 15-20 games.

With Semin I don't think anyone is angry, I think people are more confused/concerned as to what the problem might be. If it's an injury that makes sense because he is fumbling/fanning a lot of the time and his shot/passing isn't the same. If it's something else then it is more of a concern but I think Semin will get much more slack because he already proved himself all of last year.

My uneducated guess is that it is a lingering wrist issue as someone else said, his hands just don't look the same. I've also seen him throw some checks recently (which isn't his game) that look as if he is frustrated.

Edited by Kyrule

From my end, I was just posting an article about Semin being left off the Olympic team, it wasn't meant bash him. I said he has had a bad year to this point (he has) and that I hope he turns it around. This is nothing like the Jordan hate, that was brutal and well deserved IMO. Semin has already shown how good he can be here, Jordan had not.

Jordan looked lazy and disinterested after signing a 10 year 60 million dollar contract with a new team. We were angry. Now he has turned it around and has been our best overall forward for the last 15-20 games.

With Semin I don't think anyone is angry, I think people are more confused/concerned as to what the problem might be. If it's an injury that makes sense because he is fumbling/fanning a lot of the time and his shot/passing isn't the same. If it's something else then it is more of a concern but I think Semin will get much more slack because he already proved himself all of last year.

My uneducated guess is that it is a lingering wrist issue as someone else said, his hands just don't look the same. I've also seen him throw some checks recently (which isn't his game) that look as if he is frustrated.

I just wanted to point out that most contracts aren't necessarily earned immediately or yield immediate positive results. I just didn't want it to grow into something more than just voicing concern, if you know what I mean.

I just wanted to point out that most contracts aren't necessarily earned immediately or yield immediate positive results. I just didn't want it to grow into something more than just voicing concern, if you know what I mean.

I know exactly what you mean, the posts that followed mine had me concerned as well. We are all frustrated and I don't want to take turns singling out players and having it turn into a hate-fest, especially when other things may be going on. With Semin we actually did get immediate results and maybe unrealistic expectations were set as he, along with Staal and Tlusty, were the highest or second highest scoring line in the NHL (never thought I would say that as a Canes fan). They are being reunited so it should be intersting, I hope it gets Tlusty going. Still, I am worried about Semin if it's a wrist injury that isn't healing or is still giving him trouble. It has been said numerous times here, but the lack of injury news is frustrating, but I understand why it has to be done.

Anyway, here is hoping Semin has a great second half. In fact, Bleacher Report had a recent article along the lines of "one player from each team that will increase scoring" in the second half of the season. The player picked from the Hurricanes: Alexander Semin.  

If  Cammer is dealt,  i know  hes not 100 percent and makes  6.4   /mil  a year,  so he  has regressed.. BUT i betcha IF HE GOES elsewhere, and  is 100 percent, he turns    a team, say like the Oilers into a playoff team next year, i guarantee  that, i watch  a lot of  Oilers games on  Center   Ice, they have speed, just need more experience, and a goalie :).. Guys that have left, and play well still, Laddie, Williams,    cole and  whitney at times for different  teams..  I know im missing  another guy, its just escaping me now, no, not Kaberle :)

But in the same boat dinz, and promise no offence, but it's backwards logic to keep a guy just for fear that do for another team something that he's not doing here.  As a starter, Cam has only won enough to get his team to the playoffs once.  And initially, we got good returns on Ladd & Williams.  Both guys we traded them for were instrumental in carolina's last playoff run.

The chance of Cam Ward being traded is about 1%.  That would be too out of character for JR to do.

Having said that, there is one team that Ward would waive his NTC for to chase another cup.  Chicago.

Corey Crawford has had an uneven year and his backup is a rookie.  That is not an ideal situation for

Blackhawks management bent on repeating as Cup champions. 

The Hawks are the highest scoring team in the league - and would have to part with some of that scoring

to acquire a goalie with the pedigree of Ward.  But the deal would have to match cap hits as the Hawks

are close to the ceiling.  To me, a deal that would make sense for both teams would be Patrick Sharp and

Marcus Kruger for Cam Ward and Riley Nash.  Sharp has a limited NTC and would likely have to OK it.

Chicago gets peace of mind with a playoff experienced difference maker.  Saad would get more icetime,

which is coming sooner rather than later anyway.

JR gets a impact player, leader, and consistent scorer - and a higher-end 3rd line center.

You are probably right about Cam waiving his NTC to go to Chicago, but I bet there isn't a player in the NHL that wouldn't waive their no trade clause to go to Chicago! !Knowing you actually have a chance of winning the cup!!lol

Got both of these off of Spector's this AM

Dreger claims Carolina Hurricanes winger Tuomo Ruutu is in play. He has a no-trade clause but is willing to work with the Hurricanes. McKenzie reports the Hurricanes sent a league-wide e-mail lisiting Ruutu, Jiri Tlusty, Riley Nash, Drayson Bowman and Brett Bellemore as available. The Canucks did the same thing with Dale Wiese and the Lightning with Tom Pyatt and Keith Aulie

Edmonton Oilers (who recently acquired Ben Scrivens) could have interest in Hurricanes goalie Cam Ward in the off-season, or could pursue Ducks netminder Jonas Hiller if he hits the UFA market…

Interesting stuff but I really don't see where we get loads of return for anyone other than Cam.  Maybe JR can work some magic packaging Tlusty and Ruutu for that 3rd line center and then bring up Boychuk but I'm not sold on that as I think Lindholm is and should be slotted for that position if not now, certainly in the next year or so.  Games this weekend should give us a good idea about the direction of the team. 

If Cam goes anywhere, I think it's Edmonton, it just makes sense, the question is the return...Fans there will go bonkers if one of the young guns get traded.  I'd love for this team to grab Patrick Sharp but there is no way in the world that Chicago gives him up. 

But in the same boat dinz, and promise no offence, but it's backwards logic to keep a guy just for fear that do for another team something that he's not doing here.  As a starter, Cam has only won enough to get his team to the playoffs once.  And initially, we got good returns on Ladd & Williams.  Both guys we traded them for were instrumental in carolina's last playoff run.

I'm not trying to be a jerk about it, but I don't understand how you feel like Ward was the reason we didn't make the playoffs all those years. Sometimes I feel like people haven't been watching the same team, we haven't made the playoffs because we've been inconsistent as a team and down right awful on defense and have lacked a lot in the coaching department. We didn't have a chance to win games most of those seasons unless Ward was in net, it's a shame that for whatever reason he hasn't been able to be that guy lately.

As I've said before, I'm not against trading Wardo if the return is right. It remains to be seen whether or not Dobby is ready to be a number 1, but I'm skeptical because of how other teams have turned out when they got a hot young goalie and trade away their reliable number 1. Holtby was the answer in DC and now the fans are against him, same with Reimer in TO. Meanwhile, Varlamov and Gustavsson are having pretty good, reliable seasons for their new teams. Obviously no one can predict what will happen if we bet the future on Dobby and trade Ward, I just don't want to be one of those teams. I need to know for sure that Ward is no longer the guy and that injuries aren't a factor or won't continue to be a factor. It's not up to me though and I don't envy the people who have to make decisions like that.