The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Clutterbuck has the best last name and the best facial hair in the league, plus, he hits.

I'm sold.

he has a perfect name for hockey  just as Lyle Wildgoose of the Ice Caps

If Bryz doesnt play another game, he gets 1.6 million for next 14 years???   Insane..

Cammer has to stay healthy next 2 years, for that last big contract.. i know easier said than done.. fingers crossed.. IT  all   starts with Cam.

Just staying healthy won't get him anywhere near what he's soaking up now.

Clutterbuck would be a great add...kinda like Ruutu in that he is not that big but man can he dish it out.  4th Period is saying that the Bolts might buy out Ryan Malone...he'd be another really good addition as a 3rd line guy. 

Wanted to throw something out for discussion that's really been bothering me for awhile.Maybe I'm naive, but I like to believe in "fair play" so this issue of Compliance Buyout really disturbs me. Seems as if it's a reward to the more unscrupulous of the teams, those who sought out ways to circumvent CBA rules.

Teams like ours, who appear to have abided by the last CBA regulations(granted that we were living "cheaply"), currently have no "buyouts", whereas those teams that were successfully skirting around those regulations are now reaping the rewards for those transgressions!!

Seems as if there should have been some reward given to those teams which avoided putting themselves in the position to "need" a buyout? Granted, if we had the current Cap space, we could reap some kind of benefit from the situation, but in all reality, how many of the group being bought out would really be useful to any team?

Just my current thought for this down time while things are so quiet.

BTW, I have long been hoping that JR could find some type of way to add Cal Clutterbuck to our roster. Ryan Malone is another player that could add toughness, and if I'm reading his statements correctly, he is not too pleased with the decision to buy him out. Could have a real incentive to prove them wrong.

I met Ryan Malone in a restaurant while at a work meeting in Florida.  He's certainly a big dude.  He likes tattoos also.  He is really inked.  Sorry to get off topic, but some of the hockey players I've met are just so easy to talk to.  He made quite an impression on me.

I agree Kjunkane, Malone could help us.  I wasn't aware Tampa was buying him out.

I do agree that the buyout thing lets teams have two Mulligans if you will. But it is a way to drop the cap with less bloodshed since at least the guy gets bought out.

What I find interesting is this. Teams are clearly looking to clear out guys who are overpaid. This does not mean that they have no value, but that they were overvalued. Sure some, cough-Kaberle-cough, will probably be done in the NHL, but there will be a good number of guys who can contribute very strongly to a team with a reworked contract. 

One would think we could benefit that way. By picking a couple of these guys up on the cheap as it were. 

JR has been pretty darned good at that kind of thing. And our needs are third line, and defense. Seems like we should be able to get at least one of those this way.

Pretty sure that i read it, but unable to cite where. Seems to me that it was linked to a discussion about LaCavier also and what to do about him.

Chiarelli confirms he told Ference he won't be re-signed

I have mixed emotions about Ference. I love his physical play but at 34 and with his small size, it could start taking a toll on his body. He would be a 5th, 6th, or 7th d-man, not a top 4 guy IMO.

Big, physical LW Ryan Malone is being offered with an undisclosed draft pick for a trade. Guess the Bolts are trying to avoid using their 2nd Buy-out on him. His salary is only $2.5 but his cap hit is $4.5. That salary is not bad but the cap hit sucks. Worth a look if he gets bought out ... great locker room guy and will make other teams pay for transgressions , even dropping the gloves if needed.

Wanted to throw something out for discussion that's really been bothering me for awhile.Maybe I'm naive, but I like to believe in "fair play" so this issue of Compliance Buyout really disturbs me. Seems as if it's a reward to the more unscrupulous of the teams, those who sought out ways to circumvent CBA rules.

Teams like ours, who appear to have abided by the last CBA regulations(granted that we were living "cheaply"), currently have no "buyouts", whereas those teams that were successfully skirting around those regulations are now reaping the rewards for those transgressions!!

Seems as if there should have been some reward given to those teams which avoided putting themselves in the position to "need" a buyout? Granted, if we had the current Cap space, we could reap some kind of benefit from the situation, but in all reality, how many of the group being bought out would really be useful to any team?

Just my current thought for this down time while things are so quiet.

I agree...but...it will allow for some guys to be available for more frugal teams to have a shot at.

It does bail some teams out of some terrible deals, cap wise, that have deep enough pockets to afford to pay players to go away.

Well, considering JR somehow totally fleeced Montreal into taking Fat Kaberle, then that could have been one compliance buyout. 

So, we have actually been lucky to have not had to use one.

SD did make a good point....one teams buyout could be another team's gain.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Its important to note also that the teams that do buyouts still have to pay the player they buyout, just that it won't count on the cap. So for a team like the canes a buyout could hurt the team's bottom line for the next few years as they pay a player or two who will most likely be playing for another team.

Edited by Ichigo-1

I don't think we have any completely upside down contracts on the team even if we didn't have to pay the guy. I think Pits in my opinion is the closest to a losing contract we have. When he's healthy he's worth it for what he brings but he's just never healthy anymore.

I don't think it has been mentioned here but with the N&O post regarding re-signing Brett Sutter, JR also mentioned several players who we will be letting go to the open market:

Of the players who closed the season on the Canes’ roster, forwards Chad LaRose and Tim Brent; defensemen Joe Corvo, Bobby Sanguinetti and Marc-Andre Bergeron, and goalie Dan Ellis will become unrestricted free agents on July 5 if not re-signed.

"We will let them go into free agency," Rutherford said. "We’ll see if some make it back to us or if we make it back to them."

http://www.newsobserver.com/2013/06/25/2989520/forward-brett-sutter-signs-with.html

Edited by Ichigo-1

Who would you buy out? (He asked, almost wishing he hadn't).

I think that factors other than salary might determine who get the buyout. Contract length, NTC, past injuries, and who has become available from other teams. If you can use the money to significantly improve your team by getting three or four players to replace the two you lose, why not?  As an example: if you could get two beast d-men for Joni's salary would you keep Joni?  See who is available, evaluate you needs , make the decision that gets you to the playoffs. That's where the real money is.