The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

If we can somehow miraculously win the next three games in reg, we gain some very valuable points against two teams above us….. Trying to be optimistic with the glass half full, even though its more like a quarter full haha

I really don't think "blowing up" the team is necessary. We have a solid core of players. I'd rather continue to build around that core rather than start over. Getting rid of the Ruutu and Ward contracts will save us about $11 million. Use that money to bring in a top 6 winger, 3C, and/or defenseman. Bring back Manny, Gerbe, Bellemore, Hainsey, and maybe Tlusty is he's cheap. Our problem this season has been depth and coaching in my opinion. Those 2 things can be fixed without "blowing up the team".

I can't disagree too much.  But just how in the world do you "get rid of" contracts these days?  Especially with two fragile players.

Sure, say compliance buy out, but are the owners willing to eat that?

I would like us to trade Skinner for a young stud defensive d-man of equivalent age to bolster our blue lines future.  I am a firm believer that if you have an elite blue line you almost always make the playoffs.  IE: Nashville.

I would like us to trade Skinner for a young stud defensive d-man of equivalent age to bolster our blue lines future.  I am a firm believer that if you have an elite blue line you almost always make the playoffs.  IE: Nashville.

I think we could get a guy like Erhoff for a much lower price than Skinner.  Erhoff is only 31 and under contract for several years at 4 mil per which is very reasonable. 

As much as I've enjoyed this kids flair, bd58, I must admit that it's frustrating to see Skins having difficulty  meshing with anyone, save possibly Lindholm? Somewhat obtuse to your point, this also got me to thinking about something else that is reality, but could be difficult for many to accept.

Allow me to postulate something here for general thoughts. I believe most, if not all, who read on this team's boards will agree that the Canes are a "Low Budget Team". Sure, we appear to have loosened up the coffers for the last 2 yrs, but overall, we traditionally have penny pinched.

My point to this observation is that if such, to be successful, IMHO, this team lives and dies with TEAM as its creado. Due to our low budget status, we do not have the luxury of a "redo" for our misplaced salaries. Other more affluent teams can apparently wheel and deal away their mistakes, while we agonize over ours. Thus I postulate, Can we really afford for the lengthy period it seems for him to assimilate into the "team" structure, if he ever can, or should we be out attempting to find that unique Dman that bluedevil58 is pining over?

Like you all, I watched with awe when Skinner, particularly in his inception, truly dazzled everyone in the building. Then, it seems that the general consensus among opposing players was to physically neutralize him, with resultant concussions limiting his play. Although he now seems to have adjusted to making himself less vulnerable, has he really evolved his overall play? I inquire because as I have been  specifically focused on him, I do not see Crosby-like play. Now, let me quickly put a disclaimer on this thought, as I, for one, can't stand Sidney Crosby, but there is no denying his talents. Originally, I had unreal hopes that Jeff Skinner would develop like SC, but i don't see that happening with Skins' rogue nature.

Thus, after all of the verbiage, is it time to consider Skins as "tradeable" or do we continue to hold out hope for further development?

For a couple of weeks before the break I've been projecting the points the team in the 8th playoff spot at the time would have at the end of the season.  It's pretty consistently been 91 pts (right now, the Rangers).  Sure, inter-conference games among contenders guarantees someone will take 2 points, but it also guarantees a loser (hopefully in regulation).  And most of the contenders have some difficult games against Western teams left.  So given the difficult schedules most contenders have over the rest of the season (thanks to whoever posted that a few days ago), I'm going with the prediction that the cut off point for the last playoff spot will be 91 or 92 points.  That would mean we'd only need to go 14-4-3 the rest of the way. :P   (that's the closest emoji to "tongue in cheek" that I could find)

One down, 14.5 to go (14-5-1 gets us to 92 pts). :P

The Finland connection is now history. It was fun while it lasted. It looks like we need to begin learning Russian.

Well I guess the Canes organization is now admitting that the season is definitely over,, so why even bother going to another game!! Empty PNC arena might wake them up!!

Well I guess the Canes organization is now admitting that the season is definitely over,, so why even bother going to another game!! Empty PNC arena might wake them up!!

How are they admitting the season is over? By trading away a player who rarely puts up points and makes over $4mil?

Edited by TheFaulker

How are they admitting the season is over? By trading away a player who rarely puts up points?

My point exactly,, they did nothing to make the Canes better!! The player they got probably won't stay and isn't a difference maker!

This season is over. No amount of moves today was going to allow this team to make up 6 points and leapfrog five teams to make it into the playoffs.

it will be full for the Rags. Devils. and Craps games/  Full of enemy fans that is, at least it puts coins in the Canes coiffers

Not to be too unrealistic, but the next 3 games are Rangers, Devils, Rangers. Run the table on those 3 and I wonder where we will be?

Run the table on those 3 and I know where I will be. In disbelief I could have given up on the season so early.

Okay...I'm going glass 1/2 full here.

1) We just got rid of 4.75 mil/year on a guy who will be on the 3rd line at best for the rest of this season AND the next 2 years

2) We got a 23 year old with a lot of skill, who can play a 2 way game and can play center or wing

3) Said 23 year old was playing on the top line in NJ last year 

4) Sounds like he can help on the PP and can kill penalites

5) I think he's waiver exempt as well so he can shuttle back and forth to Charlotte if need be

6) Bleacher Report really likes the deal http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1982449-carolina-hurricanes-maximize-return-for-tuomo-ruutu-acquire-andrei-loktionov

Let's see what the kid can bring...

Who can we send down in order to give Boychuk one last test drive?  In spite of previous letdowns, he's worked hard and his production in CHA this year has earned him one more shot imo. Dvorak? Boychuk can play either wing, correct?

I really wish we had given Komi a NTC instead of a NMC. The no move means we can't assign him to Cha without his ok (and bring Murphy up in his place).

Edited by LakeLivin

Now that the trade deadline distraction is over the team is set, including for next year with the exception of off-season deals.

Muller was given a courtesy ride home from the dreadful road trip.  Would have been un-cool to dump him without a ride to Raleigh.

It's now ok to relieve him bright and early tomorrow morning and truly start working on next year.  If he's still in the picture at season end I'll be totally dumbfounded.  I'll have to start an "All Inclusive Coaching" thread that will aggravate everyone.

Hahaha, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see Muller get "another chance". Much like Laviolette did with Philly this past season.

EDIT: By the way, AMAZING return on Ruutu. Look at what much better players got in return, lots of 4th round picks, or combinations of two picks no higher than 2nd round. We got a third AND a roster player with upside who will get the best chance of his career coming in to Carolina on the third line center and most likely at least second PP unit time. I will say this now, Loktionov is going to thrive here. He's wanted a place to prove his ability and place in the NHL, started off in a crowded farm system with LA (opposite of CAR), then found his way on a team that had an NHL spot for him in NJ, made the most of his time there and played his way to top 6 duties. This season I don't really know what happened, maybe he was used to playing with Kovy. I'm interested to see what Loktionov and Semin do together on a PP unit. Love his upside. And even if he doesn't improve, he'd be a solid depth player who has the skill to amass points. He's got a huge opportunity next season when/if he resigns with us. And if he walks to the KHL and doesn't work out here, we dumped Ruutu and his next 2 years of high cap hit and still get a 3rd rounder.

This offseason, I think Vancouver and Calgary might be spots where we talk in depth over a potential Ward trade. I can see some package involving Ward and Edler or Bieksa (Bieksa is more dreamy, much less realistic). If not Vancouver, Calgary would probably consider Ward. The only thing is most of the players I thought would fit in value-wise with a Ward deal involving Calgary are UFAs this year.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

If you love the game of hockey you still go. Lots of teams coming here with their stars.

If you love the game of hockey you still go. Lots of teams coming here with their stars.

Been there, done that as a Cubs fan.  Don't need to do that here. 

I love the "stars," but love the "wins" better.

I don't know guy.  Ruutu was one of my favorite players because he was a  physical power forward.  Look back at the Ladd trade I can now say with 100% confidence that the trade was a complete and utter failure.  But anyways, moving on.  JR did a miracle in eating 3.75 M.  We will probably be able to resign hainsey with that freed up cash.

However, I am now concerned that we lack a true power forward.  A banger winger so to speak.  We have not had one in a very long time.  Ruutu used to be it.  He still lands devastating hits and since ... "that AHL guys name" we have not had one.  Lok seems "ok" but I think this was more of a salary dump.  If anything it is to make Semin and K feel comfortable with another Russian on the team.  He might turn out to be an awesome 3rd line center.  I was hoping we would add size but I am OK with size trade and I for once am looking forward to watching games.

I forgot the excitement that a trade bring.  Especially for one as small as this.  It is still fun after all.

Go Canes Go!