The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Ruu was my favorite player and I will miss him greatly, but the writing was on the wall. I expect that we will see Brock McGinn next season fill in the role of a hard banging scoring wing. His game is similar to Ruu in his prime, and after Brock's year so far with Guelph, I expect him to come out of training camp with a spot on the team.

Keeping 20% of Ruu's salary makes the trade a little less palatable. If the new guy coming in can help solve our 3rd line problems and power-play I suppose it will be a good trade, Still Loktionov isn't exactly a proven commodity. 

Just once more for the record, Ruutu was one of my favorites. When he came back and played with all those Frankenstein stitches when he first arrived, to all the hits, to an infectiously positive attitude, to the years he put up points, this was my guy if I had one. I am genuinely sorry that it ended this way.

That said, he had exactly become "that AHL" guy's name" that bluedevil refers to. Can Ruutu revitalize his offensive game? Who knows? Jussi sure did, but Ruutu is getting around on two surgically repaired hips....it could happen, but for his salary, if it doesn't......ouch. A change of scenery might help. Another offseason to get his hips right, who knows? But this year has been just plain awful. Just over 20 POINT pace, and his -19 was worst on the team, by a lot. 

This was a percentage play. PK wanted to shed some salary, this was a pretty obvious way to do that. If Ruutu comes back to 50 point land, then he will be worth his salary. If he doesn't.....ouch.

Now that said I fully agree w/ bluedevil, and Kjun was writing something kind of like it too. We are going to be back to chasing size and grit and physicality. For all of JR's talk about getting bigger and grittier, it's not easy. if you just blindly chase size you get Kevin "pylon" Westgarth. Every player's stock is a few notches higher if he is big and every GM wants big, so big guys get overvalued easily.

What Ruutu showed though is that you don't have to be 6'5 240 to lay a crushing hit. In the sense of that kind of guy, I would agree we will need that. McGinn? Maybe. He's not big. Plays big. Looks like an NHL player on the ice already. 

Side note: McGinn has 1.4 ppg, and .7 goals per game. He is #5 in the OHL in goals per game. Did I mention that I really like this player?

Side note #2: I noticed McGinn just turned 20. Does that make him eligible for Charlotte? Getting a little time down there would be key. Getting a lot of time down there....not so much.

Anyway sad to see Ruutu go, but it was the right move. 

Edited by remkin

Faulk is out but according to Chip won't be put on the IR. Now that the roster limit is lifted with the trade deadline over I expect we will see some more Chex head to Raleigh from time to time. If we play the uptempo style we played against the Sharks Murphy should fit right in.

. . .

Side note #2: I noticed McGinn just turned 20. Does that make him eligible for Charlotte? Getting a little time down there would be key. Getting a lot of time down there....not so much.

Not positive, but I'd be surprised if the rule wasn't one of those "turn 20 before a certain fixed date" kind of thing, which wouldn't free him up.  Guelph ends their season on Mar, 15, but they've got the best record in the league so are probably in for a long playoff run.

Faulk is out but according to Chip won't be put on the IR. Now that the roster limit is lifted with the trade deadline over I expect we will see some more Chex head to Raleigh from time to time. If we play the uptempo style we played against the Sharks Murphy should fit right in.

What's the new roster limit?

I hope they bring these guys up and do some TRUE evaluations of what we have in Charlotte.  Put these guys in a position to succeed and leave them there for a while without bouncing them from line to line so that they can give a sample that can be adequately measured.  Not like they have done in the past.  This way, we know what we have to work with and it will make it more evident what needs to be acquired/pursued in the off season.  Then you move out or not make offers to those that are not what we need, and retain the ones that are.  I just don't feel like those guys have had a fair look, and with our odds of making the P word slime to none, make the rest of the year somewhat productive by doing honest evaluations.  I would really like to see Boychuk get a long, good look for the remainder of the year on a scoring line.  If he doesn't perform, quit wasting time and money on him and let's move on.  Same with several other guys down there.

It's not like we have anything to lose at this point

Now that the roster limit is lifted with the trade deadline over I expect we will see some more Chex head to Raleigh from time to time.

If that happens, it's a signal that JR is throwing in the towel on this season...and I hope he quits when that happens.

Brock McGinn played for the Checkers in the AHL playoffs last year following the end of Guelph's season.  As he didn't turn 20 prior to December 31st, the same applies this year.  He can join the Checkers upon completion of Guelph's regular season or until they are eliminated from playoff contention.

Per Chip it sounds like JR is pretty confident with our new acquisition

"Rutherford says Loktionov is capable of matching or bettering Ruutu's offensive production."

Hope he's right!

What's the new roster limit?

I'm not sure there is a limit now.  Maybe someone else knows.

If that happens, it's a signal that JR is throwing in the towel on this season...and I hope he quits when that happens.

Thats why I said from time to time. I don't think we will see a lot of Chex up unless we are eliminated. But since we can  I expect from time to time we will see a couple of the Chex. I don't think we have given up the season yet in spite of the odds

Hate to see Ruutu leave but as many have impled, the handwriting was on the wall this season. He has been a personal favorite of mind since he came here ... lots of heart and energy with some scoring. Think his extremely physical style took a toll on his hips over time. I want to believe his play this year is a direct result of recovering from last season's surgeries. Hope he rebounds next year physically and thrives under a new system, like Jussi has (on track for 60+ point season).

Hope we are not having this discussion about McGinn's hips in a few years with his Ruutu-style of play.

Last thoughts are to get a new GM not named Francis and new coaching staff well before the draft, so they can re-formulate the team strategy/trades and draft objectives for 2014-15..

Bill B, Amen to all of that. I would note that Jussi was floundering when we acquired him, and immediately was born anew when he joined the Canes. Plus, it does not hurt to play with the Pens. Plus, Mueller completely misused him last year. Of course other than the necessity to "force " Jordan onto the second line as center, maybe we could have tried putting the Skins and Finns line back together last year. Not sure that decision was all on Mueller.

I also loved Ruutu's grit and physicality. I remember that split open face in his first game as a Cane, and that he did not miss a game because of it. But I think he had become a victim of the reckless abandon he played with. Unlike Jussi, Tuomo is not going to play with Sid and Malkin. New Jersey is a defense first team. Maybe that is where they think he fits. But our return from the trade was 80% of his salary to use to sign other players in the off-season. Anything we get from Loktiomov is a bonus.

From an ESPN article:
Hidden value in lower-tier trades
A look at under-the-radar trades that may provide value down the stretch
Updated: March 6, 2014, 12:36 PM ET  By Neil Greenberg | ESPN Insider

New Jersey acquires: F Tuomo Ruutu

Carolina acquires: F Andrei Loktionov, conditional third-round pick

The Carolina Hurricanes were able to dump salary while picking up former Kings 2008 fifth-round pick Loktionov. On the surface, Loktionov doesn't appear to have the NHL résumé you want to see in a prospect, but since being drafted, he has already bucked the odds by playing in 135 NHL games, which is more than is expected out of most fifth-rounders.

In addition, he has been on the plus side of puck possession at every NHL stop along the way. During the 2011-12 season, the Kings saw 53 percent of all even-strength shots in their favor with Loktionov on the ice. That ballooned to 59 percent in 2012-13, his first season with New Jersey, before settling in at 55 percent this season. He could fit in nicely on the Hurricanes' third line.

Edited by LakeLivin

From an ESPN article:
Hidden value in lower-tier trades
A look at under-the-radar trades that may provide value down the stretch
Updated: March 6, 2014, 12:36 PM ET  By Neil Greenberg | ESPN Insider

New Jersey acquires: F Tuomo Ruutu

Carolina acquires: F Andrei Loktionov, conditional third-round pick

The Carolina Hurricanes were able to dump salary while picking up former Kings 2008 fifth-round pick Loktionov. On the surface, Loktionov doesn't appear to have the NHL résumé you want to see in a prospect, but since being drafted, he has already bucked the odds by playing in 135 NHL games, which is more than is expected out of most fifth-rounders.

In addition, he has been on the plus side of puck possession at every NHL stop along the way. During the 2011-12 season, the Kings saw 53 percent of all even-strength shots in their favor with Loktionov on the ice. That ballooned to 59 percent in 2012-13, his first season with New Jersey, before settling in at 55 percent this season. He could fit in nicely on the Hurricanes' third line.

Thank you for the insight Lake. I'm somewhat excited to see how he fits here.

Say what you will about JR, he has been able to pick up some unexpected values. 

I am guessing Loktionov, who I cannot help but notice has the word lotion in his name, is looked to as a more offensive third line center, though hockey db calls him a "solid two way player", who can be used on the PP and PK, and "sees the ice and uses his line mates to create scoring chances". Pass first player. They knock him a bit for that, but we could use that. We get enough shots, we need good ones. 

The Bleacher Report also gave JR good marks on this move:

Carolina Hurricanes Maximize Return for Tuomo Ruutu, Acquire Andrei LoktionovRALEIGH: Canes’ Loktionov gives up money to play in

N&O suggests his has decent offensive upside.

NHL | Carolina Hurricanes | NewsObserver.com

His numbers?

Well this year's numbers are not great: .25 ppg. BUT he was moved all over the place (all 4 lines). Although the strait up comparison w/ Ruutu is fair and clearly benefits this move. The other comparison is can he be substantially better than Nash or Malhotra on points. This year's numbers might say no, BUT, last year he was scoring at a .43 ppg clip. That would be 35 points for a full year and that is actually good production from a #3 center. 

Clearly worth a shot. JR's history on taking these shots is far from perfect, but still impressive. It is perhaps the thing he does best.

Right now they have him centering the 4th line. Hopefully he gets bumped up soon.