The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Maybe some of it had to do with the lockout, but again, excuses/reasons. 

Here's to hoping not only Jordan Staal is better next year, but the whole team is.

Jordan may rebound but he is going to have to do something to gain my respect back (not that he gives a damn about me but...). He was brutal last year, there was no excuse to come here and look so uninspired and downright disinterested most of the time. I don't care about statistics, excuses, etc., I have eyes and that is all you needed last season to see that his play/effort was bad. Signing a 60 million dollar contract and coming to a new organization/city, he should have come out and tried to excite the fans/management, instead he looked like he was sleepwalking. I wouldn't care so much if he didn't produce but showed some fire, but there was none of that.

BINGO!!!    :thumbsup:

As promised, here's the updated list of excuses/reasons the board has come up with so
far to defend Jordan...  (again, just for fun,  I'll add to it as new ones pop in).

He only played 1/2 season.
He did not have camp.
He just got married.
He moved to a new city.
He had to settle in over the summer.
He had major house hunting pressure picking out the best 2-mil house in N.Ral.
He wasn't playing as hard since he just got his big money.
He faced the pressure of wearing the "A"
His linemates had injuries.
Our 3rd line did not score much.
He did not have the same line to work with all season.
He's "only" 24.
He was playing on a far less consistent team than he has in the past. 
He had to play with "unreliable" Jeff Skinner and "offensively challenged" Pat Dwyer. 
He was suffering from an ingrown toenail 
He'll have good and bad years, last was just a bad one.
He will step it up this year (with the right guys).
He just had bad luck last year.

If we want someone who can come in and help Skinner with development, why not just go after Jagr?  He has proven he still has gas in the tank and can be acquired for less than HALF of what it's gonna take to get Vinny here.

But I wanna see JR make a serious effort at Andrew Ference...

I really really really don't want LaRose here anymore, but considering our cap situation and the need for bottom six players on the cheap, I don't think this is impossible. But he'd have to take the league minimum in pay and really kiss JR and PK's *edit* big time to make up for skipping his exit interview. JR was PISSED.

EDIT: and it'd probably be a two-way as well. 

Even a beaten down, skip the exit interview, two-way contract, just insurance LaRose will somehow end up on the first or second line. Coaches can't seem to help themselves. Loved LaRose, but it's over. Just say no. 

Well no O''Brien from the Avalanche.  He was traded to the Flames.  Poop :thumbdown: 

They got Tanguay back in exchange...this trade was a no-brainer for the Avs

Well no O''Brien from the Avalanche.  He was traded to the Flames.  Poop :thumbdown: 

UFA O'Byrne of TOR via COL last season is available. He and O'Brien played together as Avs and IMO O'Byrne is the more valuable big, physical guy. O'Brien was a healthy scratch several times this year. Just saying, if you have an extra $2-2.5M around

Tampa announced they will buyout Vinny L

wow.  he has been a Canes' killer in the past.   also brings great character to a team   now if only the Canes could afford his asking price

Dreger is saying we're interested in Coburn and that the Flyers want offense in return, which to me means if JR trades for him Skinner is definitely gone. Coburn does fit a need tho.

Dreger is saying we're interested in Coburn and that the Flyers want offense in return, which to me means if JR trades for him Skinner is definitely gone. Coburn does fit a need tho.

where'd you see/hear that?

and Coburn is not worth Skinner, imo.

Edited by TheFaulker

We signed Bellemore today.

one-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay Bellemore $600,000 on the NHL level or $150,000 on the American Hockey League (AHL) level, with a guarantee of at least $250,000.

We are beginning to see who among the Chex are a priority. I think I will pencil Bellemore in on the bottom pairing. But then what about Murphy. I better make sure I have an eraser on that pencil.

I think it would cost us Harrison instead of McBain.  I'd do either trade.  With that salary, Joni's definitely gotta go.

I don't think so. Lavi's system is pedal to the medal. McBain fits that. Even though I suggested it I'm not sure I want to drop out of the top 8 picks but we need a D-man. But Skinner IMO is too high a price to pay.

This is something I have suspected for a bit, living in an area where it is all Flyers coverage. He just seems like a piece that might move. A couple of years ago this guy was a really good defenseman in almost all aspects of the game, but something has happened in the last year or so that changed him. Maybe he has lost his confidence, is thinking too much, or it is something else. He still shows flashes but is inconsistent. It just seems to me that he may be damaged goods, because as of late his game has certainly trended downward. I think the Flyers are tired of his inconsistency and are looking to move him, personally I hope it isn't here. When he is good he is good, but based on what I have seen the last two seasons it is too risky.

We signed Bellemore today.

Obviously this makes me happy, I have high hopes for this guy.

Edited by Kyrule

This something I have suspected for a bit, living in an area where it is all Flyers coverage. He just seems like a piece that might move. A couple of years ago this guy was a really good defenseman in almost all aspects of the game, but something has happened in the last year or so that changed him. Maybe he has lost his confidence, is thinking too much, or it is something else. He still shows flashes but is inconsistent. It just seems to me that he may be damaged goods, because as of late his game has certainly trended downward.

Which is why it's not surprising JR is going after him, IE Island of Misfit Toys. I think Skinner is also a high price but I can see him being moved for Coburn if we 1. for sure are drafting Nisch, meaning the trade won't happen until it's our turn to pick, and 2. if Nisch truly makes Skinner expendable, which I'd argue he does. Then again the Flyers are trying to shed salary so maybe someone like Rask would be more appealing to them, or McBain if they're also considering offense from the blue line.

I dont  give up  rask for coburn, not that sold on him, and lets not   be quick to give up on  skins, scared of him though, being on the wing, with the concussion  issues..

This is something I have suspected for a bit, living in an area where it is all Flyers coverage. He just seems like a piece that might move. A couple of years ago this guy was a really good defenseman in almost all aspects of the game, but something has happened in the last year or so that changed him. Maybe he has lost his confidence, is thinking too much, or it is something else. He still shows flashes but is inconsistent. It just seems to me that he may be damaged goods, because as of late his game has certainly trended downward. I think the Flyers are tired of his inconsistency and are looking to move him, personally I hope it isn't here. When he is good he is good, but based on what I have seen the last two seasons it is too risky.

Obviously this makes me happy, I have high hopes for this guy. Same here. liked his toughness last year

Skinner > Coburn x10

What about a Coburn and Read for Skinner?  Coburn fills an obvious need and read can be a decent replacement for skinner.  Flyers get a scoring threat and almost a wash in cap hit. 

Even a beaten down, skip the exit interview, two-way contract, just insurance LaRose will somehow end up on the first or second line. Coaches can't seem to help themselves. Loved LaRose, but it's over. Just say no. 

Agreed, I just think it's not impossible JR signs him last minute if he misses out on someone he wanted in Free Agency or something. For the record, I don't want him resigned nor do I think he will, but I think it's not impossible if we find ourselves against the wall needing at least one more roster player.