The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Its the move that has to be made concerning players. It puts the players on notice that what they have given isn't good enough. If they stay they need to be better and how they have played has made them expendable. In other words enough is enough. The key is at the right price.

It sure appears that JR will step aside. The only decision left is will he stay on as president.

I think Cam is the only one that we'll move...the rest will be there as bait...

But I LOVE the message being sent: You can't rest on your laurels (Read: your hefty contract) and half-### your way down the ice (cough ERIC cough).

I hope if they go w/ Francis that he has laid out a clear path of distinction with what he would do differently.

Absolutely! I would be ok with Ronnie only if Kirk goes. New GM, New Coach, new thoughts.

I mean its fun to say all those guys are on the block but theres 4 NTC's making that far more difficult. Not impossible but the player really get's to call the shots on where he goes.

Man, too have some of those 1  goal games back, we have 4  winnable games coming up....  we will Finish like  3  points out, i can   feel it... SIGH..

Chip just tweeted Ryan Murphy assigned to the Checkers. That took me by surprise.

That is a bit surprising. Maybe trying to get last look at some other guys? 

How has Murphy looked to people since back up?

Ryan hasn't looked bad, but with his size, I'd like to see him changed over to a forward for next season. He is just too small to be an NHL defenseman.

Watching NHL Network

Their speculation with Rutherford stepping aside as GM is new coaching staff and probably Eric, Skinner and Cam will be on the trade block, though Eric and Cam have NTC.

Edited by hopper915

That is a bit surprising. Maybe trying to get last look at some other guys? 

How has Murphy looked to people since back up?

A guy who can skate freely into our offensive zone only to look around and have nobody to dish too.

Chip just tweeted Ryan Murphy assigned to the Checkers. That took me by surprise.

I wonder if it's a move influenced by money.  Murphy's NHL salary is $925k, AHL $70k.  At this point in the season sending him down for the rest of the year still would save 6 figures.  With the role he plays I wonder if that's what motivated the decision?

Absolutely! I would be ok with Ronnie ....

Because Ronnie has proven he's done such a great job in the front office and the Canes have done so well since he's been the #2 guy helping run things...   :dizzy: 

:sarcasmalert:   

In Luke's Article about JR stepping down, he references a guy at the NY Post speculating that both Staals could end up in NY to join brother Marc. Didn't mention what we'd get back.

Talk about a blockbuster. 

Luke sticks up for Francis at the end too.

Decent article:

DeCock: Rutherford deserves credit for past work despite current struggles | Luke DeCock | NewsObserver.com

I wonder if it's a move influenced by money.  Murphy's NHL salary is $925k, AHL $70k.  At this point in the season sending him down for the rest of the year still would save 6 figures.  With the role he plays I wonder if that's what motivated the decision?

I suppose that's possible. More likely the Chex are in a playoff race and could use the help.

None of the above.

The lineup is carrying the max number of players now that everyone is healthy and Murphy was the one to go.  Would have been him or Lindholm. 

Besides, how could Lindholm be deprived of playing wing along side the great Riley Nash.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Is it just me or is Tripp talking a whole lot more about leadership recently during the games? Just wondering if this a mouthpiece for the team as a precursor to some change. A lot of talk about Lindholm taking the lead tonight.

Edited by Law-Dawg

What can one post that have not been posted before?  The Canes need complete changes in the entire team leadership.  Need new GM.   New head coach.  New assistant coaches.  New captain and alternates

Besides, how could Lindholm be deprived of playing wing along side the great Riley Nash.

...and the defensively responsible, unselfish, tough along the boards Skinner.

The Nash thing is mind-boggling. We continue to use him 4 on 4 as well, and on the PP.

I thought Bowman had the pictures of JR in compromising positions...maybe he made duplicates for Nash.

I wonder how common NTC's are in the NHL. Is this a standard perk for established guys? It sure seems like JR handed out a lot of them. 

IF the Staals are the problem, moving them might be a problem to. Big contracts, underperforming, and NTC. Add C.Ward to the list. 

If JR is going el cheapo again.....well that might just be it for me. 

The trick is this. If he moves one Staal does he need to move both? As a union, they can effectively stop any trade that breaks them up.  But if we have to move them as a unit, the value (already well under fair market) goes down even more. And say what you will about them, move them out with no value in return and your #1 and #2 centers are Lotionov and Nash. I don't think I can commit to a full season of that.

I'm being a bit dramatic there, but the point is valid. 

The blow it up strategy: trade Ward, both Staals, for serviceable guys and lots of draft picks. Totally suck for a few years while those guys develop and hope it's Chicago not Edmonton that we turn into. Not sure how Skinner will do on a chronically losing team. My guess, more of the same (on this chronically losing team) in the defensive end.

No need to keep season ticket priority if they do that. They'll be plenty of seats available.

Edited by remkin

Boychuk's 15th power-play goal puts him into a tie with Luke Adam for @TheAHL lead in that category.

I wonder if there is an NHL team that could use help on the PP?

Drayson Bowman has 15 goals in 170 NHL games. Is there really any way he is back next year? 

I know Boychuk must have torqued JR off somehow, and I know that most think Boychuk is an AHL only guy. But why not take one more look. Is there really much to lose? 
Edited by remkin

None of the above.

The lineup is carrying the max number of players now that everyone is healthy and Murphy was the one to go.  Would have been him or Lindholm. 

Actually after the trade deadline the roster size cap goes away so it's not a numbers thing. I suspect it's as a favor to the Checkers since they are in the playoff race and Murphy could use some time playing heavy minutes in games that actually mean something.