The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Actually after the trade deadline the roster size cap goes away so it's not a numbers thing. I suspect it's as a favor to the Checkers since they are in the playoff race and Murphy could use some time playing heavy minutes in games that actually mean something.

Yep, your right, forgot all about that, and what you and others said about the AHL playoffs makes perfect sense.

And on the flip side maybe getting our "kids" away from this train wreck, losing and changing culture for a while.

Might not be terrible to send Lindholm down for the bitter end too.

Looking at who is projected to return for next season:

Eric Staal has a NO TRADE CLAUSE in his contract. He will become a UFA at the end of 2015-2016 season. He will get $8.25mil over the next two seasons.

Alex Semin will get $7.0mil over the next four seasons.

Jordan Staal has a NO TRADE CLAUSE in his contract. He will get $6.0mil over the next nine seasons.

Jeff Skinner will get a NO TRADE CLAUSE after the 2017-18. He will get 5.725mil over the next five seasons.

Jiri Tlusty is a RFA at seasons's end.

Elias Lindholm will get $925k over the next two seasons.

Patrick Dwyer will get $900k next season and become a UFA at the end of 2014-15. season.

Andrei Loktionov is a RFA at season's end.

Manny Malhotra is a UFA at season's end.

Drayson Bowman is a RFA at season's end.

Radek Dvorak is a UFA at season's end.

Riley Nash will get $525k next season and become a RFA at the end of 2014-15 season.

Nathan Gerbe is a RFA at season's end.

Joni Pitkanen is a UFA at season's end.

John Michael-Liles has a modified NO TRADE CLAUSE in his contract. He will be a UFA at the end of the 2016-17 season. He will get 3.875mil over the next two seasons.

Andrej Sekera will get $2.75mil next season and become a UFA at the end of the 2014-15 season.

Ron Hainsey is a UFA at season's end.

Jay Harrison will get $1.5mil over th next two season's and will be a UFA at the end of the 2015-16 season.

Justin Faulk just signed a six year, $29mil contract.

Ryan Murphy will get $832k for the next two seasons.

Mike Komisarek is a UFA at season's end.

Brett Bellemore is a RFA at season's end.

Cam Ward has a NO TRADE CLAUSE in his contract. He will become a UFA at the end of 2015-2016 season. He will get $6.3mil over the next two seasons.

Anton Khudobin just signed a two year, $4.5mil contract.

Justin Peters is a UFA at season's end.

With the players we have under contract next season, the Canes salary is close to $51mil. The projected 2014-15 salary cap is $71mil with a lower limit of $52mil. The Canes are right on the Cap floor. They will need to re-sign/bring in players to fill holes if all UFAs/RFAs are loss.

So, with no additions, here is what we have left and holes needed to be filled:

Offense

1st Line:

Jordan/Alex/???

2nd Line:

Eric/Lindholm/Skinner

3rd Line:

Dwyer/Nash/???

4th Line:

???/???/???

Defense:

Liles/Harrison

Sekera/Faulk

???/???

Murphy

Goalies:

Ward/Khudobin

Edited by hopper915

I think you have to go with the old adage, if Gretzky can get traded, anyone can...I'd think Toronto and NYR would be the 2 most likely landing spots for E.  Would the Rangers deal Rick Nash and Chris Kreider for E and J?  Big power forward, emerging power forward for 2 established players and we get to save some $.  Problem there might be the gaping hole in the middle...BUT what if Skinner centers Nash and Semin (a la Seguin with Benn and Nich) and Lindholm centers Krieder and Tlusty or maybe we grab Kasperi Kapanen to fill the RW spot.  Loktionov can center Gerbe and Kapanen/Tlusty/Dwyer...whatever.  Re-Up Manny for 2 years, let him wear the C, center the 4th line and see who emerges/earns the captaincy from there.  Although a move certainly with a lot of risks, it's viable, we actually save $ and that would be one heck of a change of culture. 

Nice update Hopper. 

One piece of good news, we are in pretty good shape on the UFA front. Hainsey is the only one I'd care about really.

I've liked the little I've seen of Loktionov and he, Gerbe, Bellemore and Tlusty I would keep if the money were right. 

It will be interesting to see what kind of money Tlusty gets. 

The double barrel Staal NTC could be an issue.

I don't really see Nash being happy here? Didn't he just ask to leave Columbus for similar playoff woes? If we deal E and J we're looking at a rebuilding year something Nash likely won't be happy to participate in.

Yeah, not trying to speculate too soon, but any deal that involves Staal going to the Rangers would have to include Stepan, one of their top 3 dmen, and probably a draft pick.

I'd go for Philly and get the same package they got for Mike Richards.

If he has a NTC, then yeah, Nash probably nixes that.  Looked over on capgeek though and there is actually some sense to the deal.  NYR can let Brassard (RFA) and Moore (UFA) go.  They could also let Zuccarello go as well.  They are stuck with Richards' salary because no one in the world will take it.  Rangers are actually below us in cap spending so they have room as well.  The tough part would be that it's an in division trade so we'd see a lot of those guys.  Toronto has a bunch of players who are unrestricted at the end of the year, so they will have space (http://www.capgeek.com/?charts_year=2014).  I would think a deal with the Leafs would start with JVR and/or Bozak coming our way with maybe a pick or two. 

I think the Hurricanes should pattern themselves after the Colorado Avalanche.  That team is absolutely loaded with very young offensive talent.  And they have a fairly strict coach to guide them along the way.

Our answer to the 3rd line center problem?

Michael Dal Colle, C, 6' 2", 187 lbs

Michael Dal Colle is a powerful two-way player whose hallmarks are good skating and aggressiveness. He boasts a powerful, balanced stride and good hands, using these attributes to take over the tough areas of the ice. Dal Colle is the kind of player that loves to battle for position and you can usually expect to see him along the boards and in front of the net. He is also a very determined player, known for giving a strong effort in all three zones by playing well defensively, making good passes, and being able to put the puck in the net.

http://www.ontheforecheck.com/2014/1/28/5350004/2014-nhl-draft-michael-dal-colle-profile

He is projected as a top player in the draft. If we luck out in the lottery we could possibly get him.

Edited by TheFaulker

E. Staal deserves another chance here with a new coach.  Keep in mind this is Erics first season since his rookie season that he will not hit 70points or higher.  He may come close though.  Does he really deserve to be booted out of here for some other guy we hope can score 70plus points per year or a couple of 40point scorers? He may be slightly overpaid but his numbers are very consistent with the exception of this year(look at E's career stats to remind yourself how consistent he has been and how many points he has scored for us).  He needs a new coach to fire him up and get a new system going.  Muller is not working for this group of players. 

J. STaal has shown signs of getting back to who he really is, He has been the best player out there IMO for the last month or so and if he gets a new fire under him, (a new coach) I beleive he will be a force to reckoned with game after game and a playoff hero if we ever get back there. .

Yes E. Staal frustrates me with his slumps, laziness and I would have never believed he might not break 20 goals this year but its to early to give him up.  Change the coach, and lets see if the talent we are paying for can perform to there expectations. , I'd bet money next year E,J Staal,Skinner and Semin will be lighting it up if we change coaches. .  If same junk happens next year with a new coach than I'm down for a complete sale of all Staals and Skinners. These guys are better than this, its not a coincidence that all of our top talent are having career worst years.  Its the coach.  

We will no doubt have at least a few new faces on the bench next year and hopefully one of them is behind the bench. This could be all the difference between missing the playoffs by 6 points this year and making the playoffs next year, no need to get rid of the Staal bros.......yet.

E. Staal deserves another chance here with a new coach.  Keep in mind this is Erics first season since his rookie season that he will not hit 70points or higher.  He may come close though.  Does he really deserve to be booted out of here for some other guy we hope can score 70plus points per year or a couple of 40point scorers? He may be slightly overpaid but his numbers are very consistent with the exception of this year(look at E's career stats to remind yourself how consistent he has been and how many points he has scored for us).  He needs a new coach to fire him up and get a new system going.  Muller is not working for this group of players. 

J. STaal has shown signs of getting back to who he really is, He has been the best player out there IMO for the last month or so and if he gets a new fire under him, (a new coach) I beleive he will be a force to reckoned with game after game and a playoff hero if we ever get back there. .

Yes E. Staal frustrates me with his slumps, laziness and I would have never believed he might not break 20 goals this year but its to early to give him up.  Change the coach, and lets see if the talent we are paying for can perform to there expectations. , I'd bet money next year E,J Staal,Skinner and Semin will be lighting it up if we change coaches. .  If same junk happens next year with a new coach than I'm down for a complete sale of all Staals and Skinners. These guys are better than this, its not a coincidence that all of our top talent are having career worst years.  Its the coach.  

We will no doubt have at least a few new faces on the bench next year and hopefully one of them is behind the bench. This could be all the difference between missing the playoffs by 6 points this year and making the playoffs next year, no need to get rid of the Staal bros.......yet.

Absolutely agree. I think you have to start using tough love, and can't give him a real long rope like he's had, but you need to give him a chance with a new coach to see what he can do. A couple people on here want to just get rid of him, but it isn't that easy. Sure, he has been underachieving and I'm not happy with it either, but even him underachieving is better than a lot of players at their best. You trade the Staals and Ward for a bag of pucks because they aren't playing their best, and what do you get?? Better value sure, Loktionov might be better value on the first line centre spot because he's cheaper, but he isn't as good and that won't help the team up the standings.

I believe it was Jason Bourne on TheScore a few weeks ago, he did a great piece on why "value" is being overrated by a lot of fans at this point. Sure, value guys can be great to strengthen and deepen your lineup, but you can't build a team on it. You need those top end guys, they don't come easy, and for a team like this you usually have to overpay for them. Take a guy like Gerbe, I love his attitude, I think he's great "value", but you can't run a team with a bunch of him on the first line. You'll never be worried about overpaying and underachieving, but you'll be 29th in the league because the top end skill just isn't there. And blowing everything up to build through the draft is possible, but that takes years, and like was pointed out here, theres always the chance you can end up like Edmonton instead of Chicago, you just never know.

I think this team needs a few significant additions, like a 3rd line centre and top 4 dman, but theres also a lot of skill here that I think needs another chance with a new coach and system to try to gel and look for good results before we look at blowing the team up.

I'm not saying that the Staals, Skinners, Semins and Wards can't or shouldn't be traded, I just think you need to take a real hard look and make sure there is fair value in skilled players coming back to help actually improve the team first, before just "getting rid of them" because they haven't played their best and the sky is falling.

Please no knee jerk reactions- this market would not survive a TOTAL blow-up/rebuild...after watching the isles game again (yes I had to) I was trying to figure out what is going on with this team-

these are not your casual weekend players- these are men who have probably sacrificed a lot in their childhoods to be at the rink- be away from their families at young ages- eat sleep breath hockey...

They have to be competitive if they weren't they would not have made it to this level... How can they "bring it" one night and crash and burn the next?

Does anyone here remember the Scotty Walker story where no one knew what he was dealing with off ice till the last game- when we heard about his wife and their cancer scare? We have no idea what is going on behind the locker room doors or In their personal lives but it has to be something because honestly on paper this team looks pretty good- lots of unanswered questions- but without all the facts and the whole story we can only speculate. I swear Lindy looked like he was pretty emotional in his interview after the isles game.

Not making excuses for the crap we saw in the first 10 min of that game just saying we may be surprised when and if the honest complete story comes out (if there is one)

Edited by Pkling40

___________________________________________________________________________________________

So far Eric Staal has never been better than 82 percent of the 05-06 version of himself in a full season. I think that is being overpaid by a big margin. A new coach will be Eric's fourth. How many more players and coaches do we need to change to help Eric " find his game "?

Edited by winger52

As opposed to the NFL, the NHL is very secretive about the injuries the various player suffer.  It would very well be Eric is still dealing with a knee injury.

E Staal deserves another chance....

Couldn't disagree more.  When I evaluate with my brain its not close for what he is paid.  When I evaluate with my heart - sure I'd love to have him back.  

10 years "+" rating 3 times.    Let that sink in.

What that means simply:

1 year was the Stanley Cup Year (he drew the other teams 2nd best defensive line as Staal was on our 2nd line)

So that's "+" TWICE over 9 years.

or... The Hurricanes line that drew the other teams best defensive line when Staal was on it for 9 years, roughly only outscored the other teams DEFENSIVE lineup 2 of 9 years.  Now that's an oversimplification but let that sink in. 

Further,  Eric Staal is our highest paid player by 17%.

He is the 5th Highest Paid Player in the entire NHL.  I'd dare anyone to defend that.

How many games is he our BEST player over the last 3 years?

He is a fine young man obviously, who is talented but look around the league at the other teams and tell me how many he would be their best player when he is not even ours?

Edited by one-timer

Re: the Isles disaster--John & Trip said Sekera went to Coach Lewis and wanted

to watch the game re-play so he could see where he messed up and have the coach talk

to him about it.   That is taking responsibility.  He is a keeper, in my book.

E Staal deserves another chance....

Couldn't disagree more.  When I evaluate with my brain its not close for what he is paid.  When I evaluate with my heart - sure I'd love to have him back.  

10 years "+" rating 3 times.    Let that sink in.

What that means simply:

1 year was the Stanley Cup Year (he drew the other teams 2nd best defensive line as Staal was on our 2nd line)

So that's "+" TWICE over 9 years.

or... The Hurricanes line that drew the other teams best defensive line when Staal was on it for 9 years, roughly only outscored the other teams DEFENSIVE lineup 2 of 9 years.  Now that's an oversimplification but let that sink in. 

Further,  Eric Staal is our highest paid player by 17%.

He is the 5th Highest Paid Player in the entire NHL.  I'd dare anyone to defend that.

How many games is he our BEST player over the last 3 years?

He is a fine young man obviously, who is talented but look around the league at the other teams and tell me how many he would be their best player when he is not even ours?

I see what you are saying, and again I'm not against trading him if the price is right, but what would you rather do? What is this teams other option? I don't think at all that he is deserving of a top 5 league salary, but unless you can pull off a Kesler or Rick Nash type trade, theres not much to do here. Even him playing badly on our first line is gonna be better that Loktionov or Riley Nash playing their best on the first line. He isn't good value for what he's being paid right now, but he is still good talent and with size that isn't easy to replace.

to watch the game re-play so he could see where he messed up and have the coach talk

This is exactly the type of leadership and accountability that I want for everyone on the ice, he seems like he has a great attitude. I remember on the West coast trip after the Olympics, losing 5 in a row or so to take us out of playoff contention, and he was the one guy I noticed trying to put the team on his back. A few times he came into the offensive zone, walked around a few players and even another hanging on his back he had the determination to get to the net and create a goal or good scoring chance. That's the drive that E Staal needs to play with every night, and thats why I would like to see Sekera get the C. Everyone is going to have an off night now and again, but Sekera's attitude to deal with that and willingness to learn is a huge factor in the long run, and I hope this team is doing everything to let him know that is appreciated and to hold onto him for the future. 

Couldn't agree more. That is what a professional does, someone who actually gives a damn and wants to get better. Hopefully some of that may eventually rub off on other players, but I doubt it.

Okay...Polyanna time. 9 games left, 6 in the Metro, all against teams that have their warts right now, Ottowa, Pens, Wings all banged up, Columbus is good but beatable, same with Philly. We are a better team than NJ, I still think we are better than the Caps too. 7 of these games are very winnable...win tomorrow, gain a little confidence and it could get interesting. We will really get to see the meddle of this team down the stretch.

Prediction:  We suck just bad enough to miss the playoffs, but played too well at the end of the season (when the craniums were removed from the rectums) to get a decent pick in the draft.  Seems to be our MO the last several years.

As a fan, is that what we are supposed to get excited about?  Is that what's supposed to make us want to buy season tickets and pay $15 to park?  This is the process that caniacs seem to be involved in year end and year out. 

Getting old guys, getting really old.

Okay...Polyanna time. 9 games left, 6 in the Metro, all against teams that have their warts right now, Ottowa, Pens, Wings all banged up, Columbus is good but beatable, same with Philly. We are a better team than NJ, I still think we are better than the Caps too. 7 of these games are very winnable...win tomorrow, gain a little confidence and it could get interesting. We will really get to see the meddle of this team down the stretch.

I always appreciate your outlook but I just cant seem to wrap my head around the potential of this team playing consistent enough the rest of the way through.  Though playing the spoiler can be fun when there's little else to play for.

I always appreciate your outlook but I just cant seem to wrap my head around the potential of this team playing consistent enough the rest of the way through. Though playing the spoiler can be fun when there's little else to play for.

Thanks...a win tomorrow and I tell you it's gonna get interesting.

Thanks...a win tomorrow and I tell you it's gonna get interesting.

about the only way for the Canes to get a wild-card slot is for the Canes to win out and the teams above them to lose out.  not going to happen