The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Which is why it's not surprising JR is going after him, IE Island of Misfit Toys. I think Skinner is also a high price but I can see him being moved for Coburn if we 1. for sure are drafting Nisch, meaning the trade won't happen until it's our turn to pick, and 2. if Nisch truly makes Skinner expendable, which I'd argue he does. Then again the Flyers are trying to shed salary so maybe someone like Rask would be more appealing to them, or McBain if they're also considering offense from the blue line.

I think it'd be a big gamble moving Skinner before we even see Nich in camp, basing it on Nich replacing Skinner.

I think it'd be a big gamble moving Skinner before we even see Nich in camp, basing it on Nich replacing Skinner.

True, but at the same time if we draft Nich and he proves to be NHL ready, then he would make Skinner very expendable.

Edited by Blinding

True, but at the same time if we draft Nich and he proves to be NHL ready, then he would make Skinner very expendable.

NHL ready and proven 30 goal scorer are just a little bit different.  Also I would imagine if Philly is trading Coburn it would be as a cost saving measure.  Don't quote me on that part though.

The Stars “are offering” Erik Cole around the league. Garrioch suggests shipping him back to Carolina

Per Spector and Bruce Garrioch of the Ottawa Sun. I'd take him if there's retained salary, and only if there's retained salary. Otherwise simply put we can't afford him. Although I'm one of the few who believes in bringing Erik back, making a third line of Someone - Skinner - Cole would be awesome. Plus this is his scheduled rebound year.

but Spector doubts it himself: 

...I doubt the Hurricanes would bring an ageing Cole for a third time...

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Cole to the Hurricanes...somethings never change.  Unless Cole can play defense or the Stars keep some of his salary or buy him out It just won't happen. Cole is enticing as a 3rd line wing but $4 mil a year for 2 years!  Yikes!

As for Skinner I just don't see him skating center. The kid is a goal scorer and has a way to find the puck. He is a top 6.  I really think he is about ready to break out again. We may trade him but it isn't going to be a little trade. The return would need to be very big.

Why is it that I am scared all of a sudden that we might trade down and somehow get Cole in trade? Is anyone else somewhat nervous? I know he doesn't fit the cap but....

Cole is an interesting thought at the right price. My guess is that there is a bit too much history for it to really happen and I would not spend the $4 plus million, and even w/ only one year left, really not a fan of the NTC.

Cole put up a measly 13 points in 47 games last year, and was traded (though must have agreed since has a NTC). 

But, the guy was magic with Skinner, who has been intermittently great and a bit lost. And at least when he was here he did hit. The 2 years before last year he put up 26 and 35 goals.

IF there was a legit reason for last year and IF he still had the scoring and speed chops and still hit, and IF he could be had s/p buyout, he would be a very interesting 3rd line option w/ Skinner. 

Tlusty/J./Semin

Nich/E./Ruutu

Skinner/Cole/Nash (or upgrade) or even Dwyer w/ Skinner in the middle

If Cole could refind his game, that could be three pretty high octane lines. 

Not likely, but the whole re-cycle thing has never been more than w/ JR and Cole.

Well...Cole is the guy we need to be honest. We lack a physical presence. All of us agree that we need a big PF that can hit and put up points. Cole is that guy. but for 4m...... Can trades be made where teams agree to compensate partially for salary? For instance he is traded here and Dallas eats up 2M of his salary?

Edited by bluedevil58

Well...Cole is the guy we need to be honest. We lack a physical presence. All of us agree that we need a big PF that can hit and put up points. Cole is that guy. but for 4m...... Can trades be made where teams agree to compensate partially for salary? For instance he is traded here and Dallas eats up 2M of his salary?

Well we did it with Jussi when we sent him to the Pens so I don't see why Dallas couldn't do it with Cole.

No thanks on Cole. Every time I saw him play last year he just floated around waiting for the puck to find him. I think he's done. When he was here I think he took too many nights off, now that he is older...I would be shocked if Cole turns out to be a productive/consistent contributor next year wherever he plays. Ask Montreal and Dallas fans what they think of Cole.

Edited by Kyrule

I would love to see Cole back! We don't have a single winger that can put the d back on their heels like Cole can. That kind of speed and power can open space for Skinner, and mabye, he won't take the beating he has the last two years. If Cole can play like his last season here, or his first year in Montreal, he would be a bargain at 4 mil. Then again, it's not my money.

NHL ready and proven 30 goal scorer are just a little bit different.  Also I would imagine if Philly is trading Coburn it would be as a cost saving measure.  Don't quote me on that part though.

As far as Skinner being a proven 30 goal scorer, he's also had three concussions and has shown little chemistry with Jordan, who's not going anywhere obviously, which leaves Skinner with either correcting his game to work with Jordan and either Ruutu or Nisc (if we draft him) or to be an overly paid third liner (he makes 4.35 mil next season.) Nisc is projected to be an elite winger and he current has the hands and on ice awareness to prove it, and while there's no guarantee and anything is possible it's quite likely that if we draft Nisc then Skinner becomes expendable.

As far as the Flyers saving money, that's what I posted earlier when I suggested Rask. Flyers dug themselves a deep hole with their "goaltending problem," which is more or less an entire systems problem, so it'll be interested to see who else they decide they need to shed that we might show interest in. Like I said though, if we're really going to go after Coburn it's going to be right before we pick at the draft when we absolutely know who we're getting.

Cole, like LaRose, is a talented player that believes he is a super-star when he is just and ordinary NHL player.  He is not worth the top-of-line $$$ and is also injury prone.  Unless he is willing to take a cut in pay to return to the area the Canes need to take a pass on him

Edited by colliefan

Horton has told Boston he is heading to free agency. This draft and free agency is becoming quite the drama.

Horton has told Boston he is heading to free agency. This draft and free agency is becoming quite the drama.

Bruins also have Seguin on the block, doubt anyone outside of Columbus touches that contract tho.

You just beat me to this.  Add Tyler Seguin to the possible trade possibilities from Boston too.

EDIT:  Now you both beat me :hide:

Why are some so upset with 4 mil for Cole?  We pay more for some who don't live up to their hype. How great to have a forward who can check and carry the puck into the offensive zone. 

Why are some so upset with 4 mil for Cole?  We pay more for some who don't live up to their hype. How great to have a forward who can check and carry the puck into the offensive zone. 

Honestly, because I think he is shot and has no heart anymore. I think he will be a liability wherever he goes. There is a reason he has been shopped around the last two years. Also, 34+ is not a good age for a power forward who relies on speed. I don't see him hit anymore and he was never good defensively. I don't know what to make of the stories about his attitude either. I could be wrong of course, but I don't want us to go anywhere near Cole.

Interesting, thanks. Almost sounds like JR is considering a defenseman (not committed to a forward), but I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds like he may be willing to wait a year for a player as well instead of an immediate impact player. Tough to say what to make of this interview, if anything.

The most interesting part to me is JR saying that we have enough skill guys so we may go in a different direction. Wonder who fits that description?

Edited by Kyrule

Interesting, thanks. Almost sounds like JR is considering a defenseman (not committed to a forward), but I'll believe it when I see it. Sounds like he may be willing to wait a year for a player as well instead of an immediate impact player. Tough to say what to make of this interview, if anything.

The most interesting part to me is JR saying that we have enough skill guys so we may go in a different direction. Wonder who fits that description?

He threw out some mixed signals.  First, he says the team has enough scorers allowing him to possibly go in a different direction in the draft.  However, when asked about adding a top-4 defenseman, he mentions achieving that through FA or via trade.  Doesn't mention acquiring one via draft.    

Edited by TheFaulker

Clutterbuck definitely likes to hit guys.

That would not factor in for the Canes making a decision. 

That's more the stuff you hear on message boards and from beat writers.  

Get real.

Still makes me think Monahan. Yet I will be the first to admit I still have no idea what we are going to do.

Dreger on NHL Network. Said Holmgren has 2 possible deals he likes.
1. Coburn to Carolina for the #5

2. Coburn to Edm for #7 and 4th Rounder

i sure hope that's not true