The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

about the only way for the Canes to get a wild-card slot is for the Canes to win out and the teams above them to lose out. not going to happen

7 wins gets us to 89 pts. and 7 of these last 9 is very doable. Haven't looked at the entire schedule but Columbus tonight, Sens and Devils games are on 2d night of back to backs for them. We have a lot in our favor and I'll say it again. Win tonight and it could get very interesting.

7 wins gets us to 89 pts. and 7 of these last 9 is very doable. Haven't looked at the entire schedule but Columbus tonight, Sens and Devils games are on 2d night of back to backs for them. We have a lot in our favor and I'll say it again. Win tonight and it could get very interesting.

The one thing I'll admit is the other bubble teams are cooperating with the "interesting" scenario.  Columbus lost again last night.  Washington, Jersey and Toronto sputter.  89 points to get in is a long shot, but this year we may very well see a 91 point team in.

But keep in mind that even on the best runs this year, the Canes have not achieved 14 out of 18 points in a streak, let alone 16 out of 18 or 18 out of 18.

But, ya never know.  Reference the 2008 Washington Capitals.  They managed 22 out of 24.  Ahem...

Law-dawg: I think for your scenario (89 pts), those 7 wins include 2 OT losses.  At least that's what my math says.

Edited by wxray1

the maximum number of points the Canes can gather this year is 91.  A number of teams in the WC chase in the East have 80 points.  The second of these teams  to gather 12 points in their remaining games eliminates the Canes from the race

On the "it could always be worse" front: at least we aren't Leafs fans. :P

They've lost 8 in a row and gone from being relatively solidly positioned for the playoffs to a long shot to make it at this point.  I scanned their forums and saw a lot of similarities to ours.  Lots of talk about:

• No team identity
  • Lack of leadership
  • Bloated contracts
  • Under-performing players
  • Poor coaching
  • Bad GM

There's even more anger and frustration over there than we're showing, and that's a lot! 

Hey, I'm looking for anything "positive" to post at this point. B)

Edit: I forgot to include a lot of:

• Blow it up
  • We're the laughingstock of the league (the one complaint I haven't heard about the Canes)
Edited by LakeLivin

If history repeats itself, we will do just good enough to screw up a good draft pick opportunity and fall short of the playoffs.  That's where I am putting my money, any takers?

If history repeats itself, we will do just good enough to screw up a good draft pick opportunity and fall short of the playoffs.  That's where I am putting my money, any takers?

Another poem by Remkin:

I am not saying that I disagree,

But I've been slapped for barking up that tree.

In the past your point could be taken to the bank.

In the present, just be sure, to never say "tank". 

Ah, thankyouverymuch.

The miss the playoffs part is a given. Right now, a win/loss or 2 by the wrong/right teams could have us drafting anywhere from 6th to 10th. Our hottest competition on the way to a higher pick may be Ottawa. So what do we root for tonight?

Man, they are doing everything they can to not make the playoffs. A week or two ago when we thought there was no chance of making playoffs there actually was. If we only had 3 or 4 more wins than we do now than we'd be right in the mix. Suprisingly we are not that far out right now. 5 game winning streak and........sigh aint gonna happen when your 8 million dollar player doesn't score goals anymore. Go Canes, I'll still be watching and hoping for a miracle.

Edited by danimal-ch1

I am totally shocked that we recalled Terry again.  What does Boychuk have to do to get a chance?  He has been the best player in Charlotte all year.  He has been better than Terry in the call ups this year.  He showed up to camp in the best shape of his life.  He worked his butt off in camp.  He has worked his butt of all year in Charlotte.  He has changed his play to become more rugged.  I am not really a Boychuk supporter, but I just don't get it! 

Checkers Stats:

Player        Games Played     Goals       Assists      Points     PIM     +/-

Boychuk              62                 32             35           67         55       -10

Terry                   63                 28             38           66         56       -7

Those numbers are pretty even so I can see why you would want to look at both players, but...

Hurricanes Stats:

Player        Games Played     Goals       Assists      Points     PIM     +/-   

Boychuk              9                    1                3              4           0         2

Terry                   8                    0                0              0           0        -3

So I ask again, why are we recalling Terry and not Boychuk?

I am not sure of the inner workings of management.  I am not sure who is making this decision, but whoever it is the first person that should be fired!

In the new CBA, there is a limit to the number of names a player that is not waiver exempt can play in the NHL without having to go through waivers. Boychuk has reached that limit. So if he were called up, he would have to either stay up the remainder of the season, or they would risk losing him on waivers. And Charlotte is in a playoff position.

In the new CBA, there is a limit to the number of names a player that is not waiver exempt can play in the NHL without having to go through waivers. Boychuk has reached that limit. So if he were called up, he would have to either stay up the remainder of the season, or they would risk losing him on waivers. And Charlotte is in a playoff position.

"Emergency" call up exempts that right?

Well when Loktionov isn't skating center he is a right wing and although Tlusty can skate either wing he has been used lately on the right side. Boychuk is a left wing so Terry fits best (I guess)

As to cclifford10 discussion, I would suggest that Terry's call up has more to do with not wanting to disrupt the Checkers' post season chances, which appear to be viable, as opposed to this team's. While we need to field a team, with 2 apparent injuries to our forward group last pm, doesn't it appear reasonable that we would bring up someone who'd not greatly hurt the Checkers chances of making a post season run, rather that bring up their best scorer?

Now, just to help me wrap my head around something else, and not sure where this discussion should be posed, but back a few days ago, in the discussion concerning resigning of Loktionov, I went on a tangent about my view of a need for "size or grit or something" to avoid getting "steam rolled", which in my humble opinion happens all too frequently. Perfect example was last night. I then was rebuffed by PK17, LakeLivin and somewhat by OBXer, while apparently Krule and super_dave_1 agreed with me. Hopefully I've portrayed these positions correctly, if not, please forgive? Thus, for those posters that disagreed with me, help me understand how I'm seeing the game differently. Weren't there stretches where we were unable to stop their cycling, and if so, what in your individual opinions is the cause, and ergo the answer to this sad state? I see it as being steam rolled by a larger foe. Nobody, and I mean nobody jumped in when Tlusty was literally driven into the end board with his head held down!! If that is not "bulling", than I don't know how to describe it. To me, it's immaterial as to that player's intent, there should have been a response! Now, please don't misunderstand my position, as I'm not advocating for a "goon" to clean up this mess. What I'm advocating is for this team to grow some cajones and stop this intimidation. Other teams seem to understand that the best way to defeat Carolina is thru this type of muscle, and of course our laughable PP offers no deterrent. Thus, does not this team need some "real"size, and by that, I mean size that has some bite to it, not like #12 size?

As to cclifford10 discussion, I would suggest that Terry's call up has more to do with not wanting to disrupt the Checkers' post season chances, which appear to be viable, as opposed to this team's. While we need to field a team, with 2 apparent injuries to our forward group last pm, doesn't it appear reasonable that we would bring up someone who'd not greatly hurt the Checkers chances of making a post season run, rather that bring up their best scorer?

Now, just to help me wrap my head around something else, and not sure where this discussion should be posed, but back a few days ago, in the discussion concerning resigning of Loktionov, I went on a tangent about my view of a need for "size or grit or something" to avoid getting "steam rolled", which in my humble opinion happens all too frequently. Perfect example was last night. I then was rebuffed by PK17, LakeLivin and somewhat by OBXer, while apparently Krule and super_dave_1 agreed with me. Hopefully I've portrayed these positions correctly, if not, please forgive? Thus, for those posters that disagreed with me, help me understand how I'm seeing the game differently. Weren't there stretches where we were unable to stop their cycling, and if so, what in your individual opinions is the cause, and ergo the answer to this sad state? I see it as being steam rolled by a larger foe. Nobody, and I mean nobody jumped in when Tlusty was literally driven into the end board with his head held down!! If that is not "bulling", than I don't know how to describe it. To me, it's immaterial as to that player's intent, there should have been a response! Now, please don't misunderstand my position, as I'm not advocating for a "goon" to clean up this mess. What I'm advocating is for this team to grow some cajones and stop this intimidation. Other teams seem to understand that the best way to defeat Carolina is thru this type of muscle, and of course our laughable PP offers no deterrent. Thus, does not this team need some "real"size, and by that, I mean size that has some bite to it, not like #12 size?

From something I ran across the other day, the Hurricanes are actually about average, size wise. Their average height is about a half inche shorter than average, but they are a few pounds heavier than average (based on opening day rosters). So I suspect you are right – it is more how the size is being used, with perhaps the more physical players being the smaller guys, and the bigger guys not playing as physical of a game.

As for call-ups, it will be interesting to see what they do, if anyone from Charlotte is needed for more than today’s game. Charlotte does not play until Friday, but will play Friday, Saturday and Sunday, with the Saturday and Sunday games against Oklahoma City, who they are battling for the last playoff spot. So whoever was going to be called up for today’s game will not miss any games in Charlotte, but they have some big games coming up. Terry is one of Charlotte’s best forwards, and assuming he plays today, he will then be in the same situation as Boychuk as far as waivers. So I expect he will be sent back down after today’s game.

The thing I am most concerned about is our inability to finish checks.  The years we went to the post season we had guys who could finish their checks and open up space for the more skilled players.  One year it was Bate Battaglia, one year it was Erik Cole and Bates Battaglia, one year it was Ruutu and Cole.  Since then we have been complete and utter garbage.

I happened to turn on the Dallas game the other night and man oh man does Erik Cole have some wheels and man oh man does he still hit while being extremely overpaid.  I am not sure about this team's mentality.  I see guys like Jordan Staal and..... well that is the only forward that I can see as being physical and he really isn't that physical on a noticeable level.  Let's face it, we lack power forwards.  We cannot sustain a forecheck to save our life and nobody is ever infront of the net screening the goalie.  It's horrible.  I am fed up with this team and refuse to buy tickets until a winning product is placed on the ice.

This is inexcusable with the amount of talent that we have.  Get people that actually know how to establish a forecheck and the wins will start coming in.  Were 2 power forwards off.

I've said we are the softest team in the league on several occasions, and the lack of response by our players when liberties are taken is shameful. I just don't see it from other teams. Gerbe was cross-checked three times and thrown to ice. Our response...nothing.

I do see us get pushed around by the likes of Boston, L.A., etc. although not every time. Still, it is an issue because it's not just the rough stuff, it's losing board battles and puck possession.

I've also called for more physicality up-front for years. Our best hitter in recent memory is Tim Wallace (wonder what he is up to), unfortunately he couldn't develop other parts of his game. Which brings me to another thing I have been saying, it's not about size, it's about heart and character. Wallace wasn't the biggest guy. You can't have a bunch of Dwyers and Gerbes running around but you don't need giants who can't play either. You just need some average or larger size guys who can and will actually hit, go to the net, do the dirty work, and stick up for teammates. We have none of that up front and it is embarrassing on some nights, and it affects us on most. Of course these guys need to know how to play also and they don't grow on trees, but they are out there. Management just chooses to consistently go in another direction and I'm tired of it. I've been tired of it for years.

I was on a date last nite but caught the tail end of the game and highlights.  Particularly the Gerbe incident, I will agree last nite was lacking a response from the team.  But at the same time, situations like that don't happen to Carolina on a nightly basis, and i would say more times then not when they do, our team actually does respond.  Just to me, lacking physicality and being soft are two different things.  We're not soft, and we're obviously not physical.  I also believe that to being part of the problem with our coaching.  The old saying teams take on the identity of their coach.

As for why can't we stop the cycle is simple, we're not a good defensive team.  We don't trust each other, and we don't position ourselves well.  Very little has to do with size or grit.

For the record, i agree we need grit.  It's obvious.  But it should come with a coach that emphasizes physicality it.

I then was rebuffed by PK17, LakeLivin and somewhat by OBXer, while apparently Krule and super_dave_1 agreed with me. Hopefully I've portrayed these positions correctly, if not, please forgive? Thus, for those posters that disagreed with me, help me understand how I'm seeing the game differently.

Hey Kjun, I"ll get back to you in a little bit; too busy to respond at the moment.   For now, let me just say that I think "rebuffed" has a harsher connotation than I intended.  "Disagreed" fits better imo.  :)

Hey Kjun, I"ll get back to you in a little bit; too busy to respond at the moment.   For now, let me just say that I think "rebuffed" has a harsher connotation than I intended.  "Disagreed" fits better imo.  :)

OK Lake, I was using that term interchangeably really to express my frustrations at being unable to describe where we seem most lacking. I think that all of us agree that there is an intangible attribute that this team has lacked for years, and perhaps "bullying" is also inappropriate, but as much as anything that seems to be a contributor, it is and has been inconsistency! The real frustration for me at least is that on ANY given night, this team seems to be able to play with anyone. On others, and really too often, we get owned all over the ice?

What concerns me the most, and it has been this way for quite a few years, is the absence, almost universally with very few exceptions, of so-called "got your back" attitude. Surely this past year, we witnessed the retribution that Hainsey extracted for liberties taken on his goalie!! As often mentioned on this and several other sites, these acts are embarrassingly absent from our modus operandi. Swift retaliation certainly would seem to be in order, but there just seems to be a dirth of any emotion!! Now, take a look at Boston. Something like the hit on Tlusty the other night occurs to one of their players, and it's not just one player, it's frequently a swarm. To players on the "slight side", the Skinners, Gerbes, Lindholms and the upcoming Tolchinskis of this league, wouldn't it be reasonable to think that there is comfort to know that these cheap hits would be met with a loyal response from your team mates? Correctly, "goons" are not the answer. I am not sure what instills this instinct into a player, but it definately has been left off of this team's makeup.

Finally, as to PK17's statement (and I promise I'm not picking on you when I say this), concerning this being due to this coach's setting the physical tone of the team, I just can't buy that for 2 reasons. 1st this absence of "team loyalty", if you'll allow me to use that term to describe the failure to stick up for teammates when liberties are taken, is a problem that has been around for years, antedating Muller's reign. 2ndly, I urge those that believe this to be true, to look back at Muller's playing career (which I honestly have not done) and see where he was with "grit". From what I understand, though, his reputation was not lacking in that department.

Thus, I don't think that this perceived or real "softness" displayed often by this team can truly be laid at this coach's feet. JMHO

Edited by KJUNKANE

Another poem by Remkin:

I am not saying that I disagree,

But I've been slapped for barking up that tree.

In the past your point could be taken to the bank.

In the present, just be sure, to never say "tank". 

Ah, thankyouverymuch.

Rem, I could not help but hear Andy Kaufman when you ended the poem with that. Lol well done. Clever.

Rem, I could not help but hear Andy Kaufman when you ended the poem with that. Lol well done. Clever.

Ah, thankyouverymuch.