The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

What concerns me the most, and it has been this way for quite a few years, is the absence, almost universally with very few exceptions, of so-called "got your back" attitude. Surely this past year, we witnessed the retribution that Hainsey extracted for liberties taken on his goalie!! As often mentioned on this and several other sites, these acts are embarrassingly absent from our modus operandi. Swift retaliation certainly would seem to be in order, but there just seems to be a dirth of any emotion!!

I don't think may of us will disagree with this. It amazes me sometimes the lack of response or emotion we see from this team. I hate goon hockey but have nothing against prompt retribution when its called for. All for one and one for all seems to be sadly lacking on our team.

Trip seems to be in the know with things in the organization and he has really been calling out a lack of leadership from our veteran players (read that as Staals and Semin), our lack of standing up for each other, and the progression of the younger players as leaders.  I think he is publically calling out the players to lay the ground work for change.

and when Tripp calls out Staal, man you know something is bad wrong.  I have often thought that Tripp had a picture of Staal pinned to the ceiling above his bed.  He hasn't let up on him or Semin lately, which is HIGHLY unusual.  He has even thrown a jab or two at Cam.  Tripp is starting to get frustrated like us I guess.  It's about time somebody said something.  I think they need to let Mike M. from the Aftermath sit with Tripp and John for a few nights and unload when needed.  I am pretty sure he would leave nothing to the imagination.  Love listening to his show.

Tripp has also been going on and on about how good Skinner would be if he applied the same tenacity in the d-zone that he does in the o-zone.

He has said ALOT about Skinner's leadership...which is not something that is visable from the outside.  As I see it, Sekera, Malholtra, and Hainsey have been our leadership core.

We sent Terry and Boychuk back to Charlotte today. I thought Terry showed he has the potential to stick at the NHL level and although Boychuk only had limited ice time in one game he at least had time to show he is willing to play any role to have a chance to stick.

With the Chex in a playoff fight and 3 games looming it was predictable they would be sent down. Boychuk was an emergency call-up so I suspect Semin or Tlusty are ready to return.

Want to  make yourself crazy? Look at our playoff picture this way: If we had 10 more points we're in the hunt. That's 5 more wins. Which means had we won one more game a month, we'd be in. So, that lead we gave away in October, the poor defensive effort in November....the bad call in December....  UGH!  

Want to  make yourself crazy? Look at our playoff picture this way: If we had 10 more points we're in the hunt. That's 5 more wins. Which means had we won one more game a month, we'd be in. So, that lead we gave away in October, the poor defensive effort in November....the bad call in December....  UGH!  

that is why games in October are as critical as the ones in March and April

Give us wins at home v Edmonton and Calgary and we are a point behind Columbus...add in a redo on that recent atrocity against the Isles and we are in 3rd.

And, if ifs and buts were candy and nuts.. it would be  x-mas.. great effort, as of now,   montreal was down 3-0 to sens , lead  4-3, and    bluejackets- hawks tied at 2...  maybe i should  have  held off on the     beginning comment?? :)

Boychuk and Terry being returned to Charlotte without having to go through waivers had me confused, as they had both played their tenth game - passing the limit allowed for games played on emergency call up without having to go through waivers. So I did some investigating, to figure out what in the new rules I had missed. While it is probably a moot point for this season, I thought I would share what I figured out, since this is how waivers will work going forward with the new CBA, and it is a bit different than in the past.

Boychuk and Terry had, in fact, played in 10 games (as of the Dallas game). What I had not realized is that not all of those games were played as emergency call-ups. I had assumed that had they been called up on a non-emergency basis, they would have been required to go through waivers to return to Charlotte - but that is no longer the case, at least up to a point.

The CBA now allows teams to call up and return waiver eligible players without sending them through waivers on a limited basis. Waiver eligible players can be called up on a non-emergency basis, and, as long as they do not play in 10 NHL games or stay on the roster 30 days, they are not required to go through waivers to return to the AHL. (This explains Boychuk's and Terry's non-emergency call-ups.) Note that the 10 games and 30 days are cumulative, not per call-up.

However, a limitation has also been imposed on emergency call-ups, so waiver eligible players are now limited to 9 NHL games (cumulative) on emergency re-call before being subject to waivers. Note that the games played in emergency and non-emergency call-ups are counted separately, so they can play in 9 games in each case - for a possible total of 18 games - before being subject to waivers.

So it is no longer as simple as whether the player was called up in an emergency situation to determine if the player will need waivers to be returned to the AHL. It is now important to know how many games the player has played while in each type of recall (and how many days on the roster, in the case of non-emergency recalls).

If E. Staal is still suffering from his injury a year ago, and if he needs some kind of follow up treatment, perhaps ACL surgery or the like, then for the love of all that is good for the fans, get off the ice now and get in the operating room.

Now I don't know if that is true, but it sure seems like E. has not been the same since that senseless injury.  I HATE international useless competition.

If E. goes to surgery this summer, I'm going to flip my lid.  I'm tired of that.  It is OVER.  If you have a problem, get it fixed now!

I have homework out there for ya'll... What other #1 paid players on teams are significant balls and chains like this guy?  Anyone know?  (Outside of Ovenchicken, we're familiar with that drama this year.)

Please please PLEASE...whoever takes over for JR, TRADE THE STAALS...

AFN is showing this debacle from last night right now and I see higher paid versions of Westgarth on the ice...and it has been the same each and every time I have had the privilege of seeing them this season.

For the Canes the season has come to an end. It has been a disappointing season and we all expect changes before next season.

same thing,  about a year later :cry:

Please please PLEASE...whoever takes over for JR, TRADE THE STAALS...

AFN is showing this debacle from last night right now and I see higher paid versions of Westgarth on the ice...and it has been the same each and every time I have had the privilege of seeing them this season.

Now, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you compare any current Canes player to Kevin Westgarth?  Do you even remember how bad he was?  J and E may not be living up to your expectations, but they are at least legit players.  Westgarth makes a traffic pylon look mobile.

Disappointing season winds down, yet offers a reminder of the joy of hockey.

Young lady sits behind me with Mom and friends.  Pre-game its all about getting on Jumbotron, followed by shrill screams and feet kicking my chair.  Funny thing happens, but I don't mind any of it (very unusual).

She then pays laser attention to the game, pointing out someone playing with a broken stick to her friend in a soft southern accent, As time goes on there are more shrill screams during and between play.  I turn and say to her "You know an awful lot about hockey" and her face is now beaming with pride.  Mom says "Oh thank goodness, I thought she was bothering you."

I ask who her favorite player is, thinking Skinner, but she replies "Eric and Jordan Staal,"  She had already told her friend how Eric or Jordan had the puck while Canes were in offensive zone.

Folks, this was the highlight of my season.  Hockey is such a great game, and with young fans like this the game will be in goods hands in Raleigh.  For one night the season and disappointment just didn't matter.

Now, how do you expect anyone to take you seriously when you compare any current Canes player to Kevin Westgarth?  Do you even remember how bad he was?  J and E may not be living up to your expectations, but they are at least legit players.  Westgarth makes a traffic pylon look mobile.

Ok, that is true...

These two are multi-millionaire slow boats...

Disappointing season winds down, yet offers a reminder of the joy of hockey.

Young lady sits behind me with Mom and friends.  Pre-game its all about getting on Jumbotron, followed by shrill screams and feet kicking my chair.  Funny thing happens, but I don't mind any of it (very unusual).

She then pays laser attention to the game, pointing out someone playing with a broken stick to her friend in a soft southern accent, As time goes on there are more shrill screams during and between play.  I turn and say to her "You know an awful lot about hockey" and her face is now beaming with pride.  Mom says "Oh thank goodness, I thought she was bothering you."

I ask who her favorite player is, thinking Skinner, but she replies "Eric and Jordan Staal,"  She had already told her friend how Eric or Jordan had the puck while Canes were in offensive zone.

Folks, this was the highlight of my season.  Hockey is such a great game, and with young fans like this the game will be in goods hands in Raleigh.  For one night the season and disappointment just didn't matter.

That's awesome.  I would have been REALLY impressed if she had said her favorite player was someone like Dwyer or Sekera.  In 2009 I met a girl at a Canes game for our first date and she was wearing a black Sutter jersey.  It was love at first sight... but sadly, not meant to be...

There are rumors circulating, and yes, I'm aware that unfounded rumors are instantly suspect, but looking at the NJ game there is at least some validity to it by the way #11 and #12 played, that the Staals have given up on this coach. My response to that would to pontificate that if that is an attitude that is allowed to take hold in this locker room, if the rumor has legs, that would spell "Trouble", with a capital T for any coach, not just this one. I truly hope that this is a false rumor bred by fans frustrated by another season ending out of post season excitement

I believe that JR's regime, if it has been anything, has been all about "character". Thus, I just do not see a mutiny by these players, but I suppose that is a risk when two brothers are united, particularly if one is the "face of the organization". That being said, my comment in another thread concerning a quick resolution of the GM spot is all the more critical, as the entire outlook of this team going forward is a domino effect. PK, please act swiftly!!

There are rumors circulating, and yes, I'm aware that unfounded rumors are instantly suspect, but looking at the NJ game there is at least some validity to it by the way #11 and #12 played, that the Staals have given up on this coach. My response to that would to pontificate that if that is an attitude that is allowed to take hold in this locker room, if the rumor has legs, that would spell "Trouble", with a capital T for any coach, not just this one. I truly hope that this is a false rumor bred by fans frustrated by another season ending out of post season excitement

I believe that JR's regime, if it has been anything, has been all about "character". Thus, I just do not see a mutiny by these players, but I suppose that is a risk when two brothers are united, particularly if one is the "face of the organization". That being said, my comment in another thread concerning a quick resolution of the GM spot is all the more critical, as the entire outlook of this team going forward is a domino effect. PK, please act swiftly!!

How many coaches will this organization allow are players to chase. If the rumor is true it would underline a serious problem with the character of this team. I'm not arguing to keep Muller although a part of me says that is exactly what we should do, I'm only saying when your players dictate the organizational decisions players need to go too.

How many coaches will this organization allow our players to chase. If the rumor is true it would underline a serious problem with the character of this team. I'm not arguing to keep Muller although a part of me says that is exactly what we should do, I'm only saying when your players dictate the organizational decisions players need to go too.

I'm on board 100% with this sentiment OBXer!!

Top players "dictating" how they want things to happen are seen in every sport and team.

It wasn't the main reason, but it was part of why Laviolette was fired.

I've posted this sentiment before somewhere. Elite players w/ no trade clauses HAVE more power than the coach. Now make two of them brothers and come on. This was the move that seemed so good, both brothers playing together, motivated to win. But there was risk. Too much power in two hands. Not only could undermine the coach, but other players might not be super thrilled, especially if the big boy plays hard when he wants to and takes twice as many stupid stick penalties as anyone else on the team. And especially if it led to a team losing. A team that has too much talent to be this bad.

IF Staal chased two coaches (and now three?), IF JR kept cow towing to Eric and feeding that more by giving up a heck of a lot to bring in his brother. IF that is the problem...and it really could be....how do you unring that bell? A 4th coach who sees the heads of the last 3 on the wall? How do you move one or both guys who you gave NTC to? 

Again, as I've postulated elsewhere, THIS was JR's final undoing. He handed it all to Eric and doubled down w/ Jordan. Ooops.

Edited by remkin