The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

If the Staal brothers have really said (and acted upon) they've given up on Kirk, then they need to be traded at the earliest convenience.  I don't care if the coach is Torts himself, you give it your all the entire season, then criticize during the exit interviews.

The more I look at it, the more #'s 11 and 12 sound like prima-donnas....which makes them no better than a prima-donna up the road in Washington

IF Staal chased two coaches (and now three?), IF JR kept cow towing to Eric and feeding that more by giving up a heck of a lot to bring in his brother. IF that is the problem...and it really could be....how do you unring that bell? A 4th coach who sees the heads of the last 3 on the wall? How do you move one or both guys who you gave NTC to? 

Again, as I've postulated elsewhere, THIS was JR's final undoing. He handed it all to Eric and doubled down w/ Jordan. Ooops.

I think you can only count Mo once... :thumbsup:

Hopefully, with the change in GM, there will be some sort of philosophy change in the locker-room.

I think you can only count Mo once... :thumbsup:

Hopefully, with the change in GM, there will be some sort of philosophy change in the locker-room.

But Eric was here for Lavi, Mo, and now Muller.

I just wonder though, even w/ a new GM and a new coach, does that change the fundamental power arrangement? 

If we have a new GM yet another coach, and things still falter next year?

Plus, if E. doesn't like a guy like Muller and Mo, two seeming player's coaches, who will he like?

I don't think you can blame coaching changes on Eric Staal. A lot of teams have to change coaches every few years because everything gets stale. Other teams are used to your system, your bored with your system and its not working good anymore, and you bring in a new coach and it puts a fire under everyone for a while, sometimes it lasts and sometimes it doesn't. Its time for that and I don't think Eric chased them out, I remember when Lavi was fired Eric said how dissapointed he was in the team for playing bad and the reality of it costing a man his job was hard to swallow.

Bring in a new coach, a few new players next year and watch the brothers light it up. Than it will be best trade ever.

Also I have heard rumors from pretty good sources that the reason Larose left the way he did was because he did not like Muller at all, same goes for Jason Karamanos, supposedly that whole situation with him getting fired was all about them hating Muller and fighting with JR and Peter Karamanos about it.(Larose is very close to Karamanos family) something was definitely wrong with all of our talent this year, start with the coach please, I can't watch another stale year of Muller hockey. I'm sure he will go on to have success somewhere but its not working here.

Also I have heard rumors from pretty good sources that the reason Larose left the way he did was because he did not like Muller at all, same goes for Jason Karamanos, supposedly that whole situation with him getting fired was all about them hating Muller and fighting with JR and Peter Karamanos about it.(Larose is very close to Karamanos family) something was definitely wrong with all of our talent this year, start with the coach please, I can't watch another stale year of Muller hockey. I'm sure he will go on to have success somewhere but its not working here.

Easy to hate a guy when he keeps sticking you on the fourth line in a position you weren't primed for...

But Eric was here for Lavi, Mo, and now Muller.

I just wonder though, even w/ a new GM and a new coach, does that change the fundamental power arrangement? 

If we have a new GM yet another coach, and things still falter next year?

Plus, if E. doesn't like a guy like Muller and Mo, two seeming player's coaches, who will he like?

True, but Eric didn't have a hand in Lavi being fired. He actually liked Lavi's coaching style, the high, up tempo offense and was upset when he got fired. From what I had heard, another hi profile player had gone to mgmt, saying he didn't like the up tempo play and wanted a more, slower pace an lobbied to Lavi's dismissal.

It will be interesting what happens to this team after the exit interviews.

When a  team for the last 5  years, doesnt have enough talent and or  strength to cycle for 60 minutes.. you get what we have got since  2009....   NADA... Im not knocking guys like Gerbe and Dwyer... I love how they play., you need them mixed  in. with big guys... Now, if guys dont like  the coach, tough doo=doo,  suck it up, play hard for your team mates.... A guy like Terry, i think hes big enough and    has the talent to make roster next year.. Now if Cammer plays well the last few  he gets in,  i think whoever is in charge , should look at keeping him,  Doby And Wardo, they seem to get along well..  just my 2  cents..

I agree with you on the Ward/Dobby  tandem, what a goalie tandem that would be.  Probably one of the strongest in the NHL but also the most expensive at about 8mil a year.  If we dump Cam we got 6mil to go after some of the other things that need to be adressed.  Hard decision, I'll leave it up to the new GM.

Well we are now at the end. The only team we can play the spoiler is the Caps. As of today if Columbus wins two they are in. Caps would have to win all their games. Not much of a spoiler. One last highlight to a rather dismal season.

Another end of season where the only thing that really matters is draft order. Not even really looking at our yutes.

Sigh.

Yep, really, really getting old rem. It's great that I spend so much of my time running by myself, as don't feel so lonely on your island!! 'm not feeling even the slightest excitement over the looming draft, as  I understand it's really not very loaded with talent. It sounds like if a team is not picking #1, there is very little to differentiate the next 10-15? Oh well, with a new GM, maybe there'll be some fireworks?

Coming into the draft, I am going to say I will not be at all surprised if we end up with a case or two of family ties, namely Kapanen or Wesley donning a Hurricanes Jersey and hat on draft day. Kapanen in particular is projected in our first round draft range while Wesley gets the double whammy of family name and Plymouth Whaler connection.

At least there are no Staals in the draft!

Well we are now at the end. The only team we can play the spoiler is the Caps. As of today if Columbus wins two they are in. Caps would have to win all their games. Not much of a spoiler. One last highlight to a rather dismal season.

Other than not wanting Jack Johnson to even have a whiff of the Stanley cup, I'd be fine being the ones to knock out Ovi and the Caps. Edited by caneswincup

Don't worry, the B's will take care of Jack Johnson in the first round...probably in four straight.

I would say this is true, but the Hurricanes are living proof on more than one occasion that if you get in, anything can happen.

PK interview... PK likes the coaching staff...uggghhh. Some tweaks needed here and there.....arrrggg. Some attitude changes required... no *edit*. No need for major changes to the overall roster, A Possible major change to one or two. Eric could be history. PK pointed to goalie injuries as a major issue. I'm hoping we do more than one or two roster changes or 2015 may be another long year.

That was kind of an underwhelming interview.

"5 or 10 points if our goalies are better..."

Uhhh, hey, what about 5 or 10 points if your top paid forwards achieve just 80% of what is expected of them?

On the Rangers  broadcast, Sam Rosen says, For the  Carolina Hurricanes to be a  contender, Eric Staal has to be A  ELITE PLAYER every night... before he said that, he hadnt  heard  Estaal name all night... About says it..  doesnt it?

Folks.  IT IS DONE.  The math is now simple:

85 < 87   Q.E.D.

The max the Canes can obtain is 85.  The lowest playoff eligible team has 87 points.  Season over.  Done.  No more stats.  No more nonsense.  No more "we keep playing like we have a chance".  No more nonsense from the owner who had the math wrong anyway.  (Hint to PK: more than Columbus was involved to eliminate the Canes.)

It is over.  Go home.

...and the universe is in balance.

PK: We just need a tweak.

wxray1: I agree.  I "tweaked" my season tickets from 41 to 12.  Perfect balance.

Edited by wxray1

Can JR take PK with him when he steps down? Atrocious interview, first and foremost for asking the fans to show more patience (what the ****, has he not seen the past 6 years?) and then following that up by stating that just tweaks are needed. Just tweaks. Oh, and lets not forget that this, according to him, is a playoff team. 

This whole organization needs "tweaks." Our player depth is non-existent, our prospect development is horrific, our coaching staff has almost entirely lost control of the team (not that it matters at this point,) and we have two faces of the franchise that are choosing when to show up, one of which has had everything given to him ranging from an elite level scoring winger to having two of his brothers in the organization with the evident plan to be the acquire the third.

Edited by Blinding

first and foremost for asking the fans to show more patience

Just keep on buying them full season tickets. We will jack up the cost per seat from $52 dollars per ticket to $79 per ticket should you need to drop down to a 26 game package. The gate price per ticket will be $140 for each regular season game. . The price per ticket for each SCF ticket was $135. (And this is for the same area of the lower bowl)  And fans should be patient with this price structure with a team that has not made the playoffs since 2006

And fans should be patient with this price structure with a team that has not made the playoffs since 2006

I dunno collie, but was 2009 an illusion?  ;)

PK said all the right things to try to keep the STH's and fans in check...I think he knows what REALLY needs to be done to build another contender here, but to flat-out say it during a game isn't the right time.  Kinda like a General saying to his troops while the battle still is ongoing that we need to replace all the Colonels...doesn't inspire confidence.

I dunno collie, but was 2009 an illusion?  ;)

PK said all the right things to try to keep the STH's and fans in check...I think he knows what REALLY needs to be done to build another contender here, but to flat-out say it during a game isn't the right time.  Kinda like a General saying to his troops while the battle still is ongoing that we need to replace all the Colonels...doesn't inspire confidence.

Then why agree to an interview?  Just wait a week for goodness sake.  What's the difference?

His agreeing to an interview now to just say "stick with us" is a good example of thinking as owner.

Edited by wxray1