The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

After watching that interview, next season isn't looking very good already!  I can't believe that he thinks just a few small changes need to be made! :whiteflag: 

I dunno collie, but was 2009 an illusion?  ;)

PK said all the right things to try to keep the STH's and fans in check...I think he knows what REALLY needs to be done to build another contender here, but to flat-out say it during a game isn't the right time.  Kinda like a General saying to his troops while the battle still is ongoing that we need to replace all the Colonels...doesn't inspire confidence.

just a typo

agree that a brief intermission interview is not the right/place time.

Then why agree to an interview?  Just wait a week for goodness sake.  What's the difference?

His agreeing to an interview now to just say "stick with us" is a good example of thinking as owner.

XRAY

Agree Xray. That was to me a disturbing interview. All I could think is, there is a reason that JR is in front of the camera. Even w/ Forslund trying to guide him away from the reefs he kept trying to crash into it was painful to watch.

He admitted season ticket renewals are way down. Then blamed losing two goalies for the problem. Yeah, except that Peters came in and played out of his mind during that stretch. The stretch that killed us was after the Olympic break and we had both goalies, in fact 3 goalies then. 

The only positive is that he said some attitudes had to be changed. Except....how you gonna do that? Beg? Cajole? Hasn't that already been tried? The only way to change attitudes is to change at least one key person.

Maybe AWAC is right and PK is waiting until the season is over to make bigger moves than he is implying now. But then why do the interview now? A step back if anything.

That was depressing. The only good thing is that the team is so bad, nobody probably saw it.

Edited by remkin

I thought the interview was about as bad as you can get. 

First, just look at his body language.  He was slumped down in his chair and leaning away from John.  Not exactly the posture for someone who is conveying a positive message.

Second, either he is watching a different team every night of he is just plain delusional and in denial about the team.  The only excuse he offered for our poor results was that "we lost our top two goalies" and that cost us 5-10 points.  While it's true, we did lose them, I don't think that this is the ONLY reason we are in such bad shape.

He did say that the team needs a few tweaks and some major attitude adjustments.  I would love to know who he is referring to there!

I thought that John did a good job of trying to give him an opportunity to make it sound better because I'm sure he realized that it was not going to play well for the fans.  However, Karmanous stuck to his story that we have a good team and that the fans just need to be more patient.

Overall, I don't see why he even bothered to have the interview.  It surely didn't help anything.  His content was poor and his overall delivery was extremely negative.  If anything, I think it did a lot more harm than good.

Overall, I don't see why he even bothered to have the interview. It surely didn't help anything

season tickets sales down.  marketing thinks an interview with the "head cheese" will help sales?

season tickets sales down.  marketing thinks an interview with the "head cheese" will help sales?

I doubt that was the interview they had in mind.

I dunno collie, but was 2009 an illusion?   ;)

PK said all the right things to try to keep the STH's and fans in check...I think he knows what REALLY needs to be done to build another contender here, but to flat-out say it during a game isn't the right time.  Kinda like a General saying to his troops while the battle still is ongoing that we need to replace all the Colonels...doesn't inspire confidence.

When exactly is there going to be a "good time"? The fans are dropping out left and right, and what they want to hear is "Missing yet again is completely unacceptable and everything will be evaluated this off-season to see where we really are what we have to do to get where we have been claiming to be the past 3 years". Instead, he said the same old crap that is just pissing fans off even more. I'm not one to be overly dramatic about a sports team, but it's not that I cannot watch this. I DO NOT WANT TO, so why would anyone spend money to do so? All it has done was take any good feeling going into the off-season about potential change we fans believe is necessary and flush it down the toilet. Is JR still going to step aside? AND CAN WE STOP BLAMING THE GOD**** GOALIES?! Two years in a row now we didn't make the playoffs because of goaltending injuries. Bull. A team isn't just their goalie. Utterly ridiculous and irresponsible to point at that and say "this is why!". I'm fed up and I'm terrified this could be the beginning of the end of Hockey in North Carolina. It's obvious the ownership and management feel like this team, which has been a perennial non-playoff performer and one of the worst powerplays in the league for the past 5 years, is somehow a playoff team. But we're supposed to believe this team is a playoff team because the people who put the team together are too emotionally invested in their athletes, in their front office staff, and in their coaching staff. THIS IS A BUSINESS, sorry but sometimes that "Southern Hospitality" within our organization is inappropriate for what this actually is, a business. Okay I'm done ranting for awhile, see you if something interesting to talk about happens, like this joke of an interview.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I'll inject some contrarian points. 

Go look at danimal's bright spots thread. Especially his excellent opening post.

All of those things are recent JR moves. Really, the vast majority of recent JR moves have been good:

Sekera, Khudobin, Gerbe, Loktionov, Lindholm. The only maybe ? has been Komisarek but he was a low cost, low risk move. 

I think some of us were hoping this: JR has made a lot of good moves, but the parts are not adding up. Someone, at some level MUST know what is going on: where the REAL problem is.  PK is the highest level. For him to seem to not to seem to get it is troubling. At least at this point. Maybe he knows more than he is saying. Let's hope so.

Edited by remkin

I guess the bottom line is:  If the coach can't get Eric Staal, Jordan Staal, Semin, and Skinner to all produce then we miss the playoffs regardless of how good our D and goal tending is.  This system just sucks.  We gave Muller a chance.  Look at how horrendous our PP and fore checking is.  It's a disgrace.  I feel like it is a big foot spotting when I see someone on the Canes deliver a crushing hit.

Bottom line is Muller has got to go.  JR put a very solid squad together.  This wasn't injuries that crippled us.  It's our system.  Muller's system just doesn't work.  I am so tired of seeing this bounce off our D man in the neutral zone and spring into the attacking zone.  The system doesn't work and we are now shut down on a nightly basis,

Our fore check and physicality is a complete joke.  It is like a light skating work out when you play the Canes.  Then every 4 or 5 games we actually show up to not show up for another 3 games.  Meanwhile, our goalie is playing lights out and even then it isn't good enough because we can't score more than 2 goals a game.

We hardly see our AHL guys.  Somehow Boychuck puts up huge numbers in the AHL and yet drops a goose egg every time in the NHL.  Terry is ok at best but the rest of the gyus....I just don't know.  All I heard was Rask this and Rask that for the past 2 years and even he is not looking good right now.  On a more positive note we have Lindholm and Nash developing who can serve as your #3 and #4 center.  Nash is more ready for the role but Lindhom is coming on,  I guess it's the system.  It has to be.  Followed by our AHL development and scouting,

It's time for a new coach and a new GM.  I cannot believe PK is happy with the current situation.  The worst part is that this team spent big time $$$ in order to win and then it is the same old story.  God damnit I am so tired of this bull *edit*.  It's so discouraging and we have had the same conversation now for 5 YEARS.  5 YEARS it has been the same conversation and yet this year we had the talent to be a playoff team.  

On Sunday------someone can re-write the opening sentence by OBXer at the start of this

471 page thread !        Imaging that.   :thumbdown:  

Do you bring in players to fit a coach's specific system or do you try to make the system work with the players you are given.

Square peg/round hole.

Coaches all over the league run into this issue and the really good ones are able to take the players they have and make them fit.

Example:

Look at Roy (my choice for Coach of the Year).

He's taken a relatively young team and was able to mold it in one season into a contender. He show his players game #1 that he has their back. Players regardless of their super-star status, react and respond to that. They see someone who's been in the trenches before and is willing to go to the wall for them.

I like Muller, I think he is a good coach with a defense first mentality, but one thing I haven't liked about his coaching style is his perceived coddling of players. You hear it during his post-game interviews.  He talks about constructed criticism and working on their confidence and such. Sometimes a player just needs someone to crack a whip, not put him on a sofa and be his psychiatrist and talk about their feelings.

Now I'm not saying we need a coach like Tortorella, but someone with some fire from day 1 would be a welcome change.

Edited by hopper915

Coaches all over the league run into this issue and the really good ones are able to take the players they have and make them fit.

John Wooden won a number of National titles as head coach of the UCLA Bruins.  It was said that he could take his players amd beat yours and take your players and beat his players.  It is all about the HC getting his players to believe in the system and his players being willing to sacrfice all for the good of the team. 

I feel like it is a big foot spotting when I see someone on the Canes deliver a crushing hit. 

That's funny as hell.

I'm picturing a bunch of weird, woodsy looking dudes in flannel trying to track down the Canes player who delivered the big hit.

Taking hair samples, filling in skate lines with plaster, looking for scat...

That's funny as hell.

I'm picturing a bunch of weird, woodsy looking dudes in flannel trying to track down the Canes player who delivered the big hit.

Taking hair samples, filling in skate lines with plaster, looking for scat...

...won't have to look too hard to find "scat" from this year's team.  Actually you have to look really hard to see anything but scat!

I've mentioned in previous posts that I am from Boston, and a long time fan of Boston sports. The fans in Boston don't like losing, but they will back the teams as long as they are making an effort. The one thing they won't tolerate is a team or player that quits. It looks to me that several players in leadership roles are saving themselves for summer vacation. I almost dropped the computer when I logged on to the Canes website, and saw a picture of E Staal along with the message that they will approach the remaining games with the same effort they had all season. I guess that means no hustle, poor passing, and big defensive lapses.

I dislike Detriot, but I admire Detriot for their incredible playoff run.  Yo PK, talk about a team with injuries!  But wow do they have it together in Detriot.  They never get top 15 picks, but they do OK.  They develop those players instead of throwing them in and letting them get keyed on (Skinner anyone?).  Just look at Nyquist and Tatar.  Their stories are just un-*edit*ing-believable.   It has been a slow burn with both.  They saw limited action with the big team over the last few years.  Now when it is showtime, they are playing very solid.

It is their development along with Babcock's slotting of these guys.  I hate to say it: genius.

Edited by wxray1

Posted this in another thread but worth saying again...whatever happens in the "off season" it doesn't start till next week...

I have paid good hard earned dollars for tickets to tomorrow nights game and I did not do that for a draft pick...it's the CAPS and any WIN against them is worth it! This team has played several games for the draft pick this season- tomorrow night please play 1 last game for the FANS in the PNC arena- THE FANS HAVE EARNED IT and you OWE US!

Posted this in another thread but worth saying again...whatever happens in the "off season" it doesn't start till next week...

I have paid good hard earned dollars for tickets to tomorrow nights game and I did not do that for a draft pick...it's the CAPS and any WIN against them is worth it! This team has played several games for the draft pick this season- tomorrow night please play 1 last game for the FANS in the PNC arena- THE FANS HAVE EARNED IT and you OWE US!

Aye, aye!  :cheers: I'm bringing my girlfriend and the first game I took her to the Hurricanes lose and fall out of playoff contention in a 3-1 loss. It was pretty pathetic, I thought they would tear it up in the third period, but nothing happened and we let in an empty netter. I'm taking her to tomorrow's game hoping she can see what it's like for a goal to be scored. You know, normally, where you see the puck go across the line and everyone goes crazy. And to see a win.  :pray:

Also, I'm hoping "a few tweaks" don't automatically make them minor tweaks, in regards to Karmanos Jr. and the interview.

And from the Hurricanes.com Article: 

“Just compete and work hard. It’s never fun being out of the playoffs and not playing for anything. But you come to the work, be a pro, work and compete,” Staal said. “We’ve got a home game against a divisional team we don’t like very much, and we’d like to squash it on them. Hopefully our guys come ready to play.

Kirk Muller

A coach shouldn't hope his guys are ready to play. In my opinion a coach should be saying "Our guys will come ready to play".

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I really hope they show up willing to battle hard for that win. There are few things more annoying than smug, loud, drunk caps fans. Plus, it is Hat Night. A few years ago that was known as Eric Staal Hat Trick Night...maybe it can be Skinner's night this year. That kid needs a hat shower.

I dislike Detriot, but I admire Detriot for their incredible playoff run.  Yo PK, talk about a team with injuries!  But wow do they have it together in Detriot.  They never get top 15 picks, but they do OK.  They develop those players instead of throwing them in and letting them get keyed on (Skinner anyone?).  Just look at Nyquist and Tatar.  Their stories are just un-*edit*ing-believable.   It has been a slow burn with both.  They saw limited action with the big team over the last few years.  Now when it is showtime, they are playing very solid.

It is their development along with Babcock's slotting of these guys.  I hate to say it: genius.

I've been following hockey for a long time. Before the Red Wings became the constant playoff participant (23 seasons and counting), they were a bottom feeder. This was before a certain player named Yzerman was drafted and the Russian 5/Red Army was formed. They suffered for years. Now they are probably the model every team should be patterned after. They develop from within. Their AHL team is very solid year after year.  They constantly find those diamonds in the later rounds.

Well, hopefully we beat the Caps, and their smug loud drunk fanbase can revel in their being officially eliminated from the playoffs along with us (which will happen if we beat them). Really, they are out of the playoffs now anyway unless Peter Karmanos is calculating their chances. And since I don't have tickets, if you run across any smug fans, remind them that their all-world goal scorer who has 50 goals to go with his 27 assists is a -35. I think that franchise is at least as troubled as ours, and on its way down with a bullet.

And NEVER play to lose. We will get a good draft pick. If a couple teams win just one more game, we would have to win out to go lower than 7th, I think, and can get no higher than 6th. Whoever in our "older core" may need to be "tweaked" out of the picture to get us back on track, our younger players need to keep the fire for winning games in their belly. Oh, and try to score 3 or more goals as a nice send off for the fans this year.

Colliefan, as much as it pains me to say it (as my screen name indicates), the quote you are referring to was about Dean Smith, not John Wooden. Sorry for the slip up off topic, but to bring it full circle, if Wooden, Dean, K or (this really hurts) even Roy coached this team, there would be a lot of bag skates and sore behinds.

I will be honest. Several months ago I predicted this would be the fate of the team ,no playoff run, talked about poor GM coach and the fact that MGT. are underestimating how much this team really needs a facelift and changes behind the scenes.I talked about how I felt annoyed spending much money to see piss poor hockeyhow it angered me that for years its been like a slap in the face for fans and how things needed a drastic mix up. I was called out, argued with told I was over reacting, i have the sky is falling syndrome the list goes on.I have slowly watched the opinions and topics change drastically over the past few months.

I am not a person who can see into the future just one who has been following the team for almost 20 years and know this organizations MO. Happy to see the fans are restless as they should be maybe getting fed up will bring changes, seems to have already with JR stepping down and anncouning it early prob because of drastic decline in season ticket sales. So I say this: welcome to Kopes Island. Realists and people happy to see the organization making strides in the right direction here. Also accepted are those who want the Staals to be traded posthaste. Sorry to say that but I just got so much hate for my posts it just seemed ironic.

Edited by Kopes2718

par·a·graph

ˈparəˌgraf/

noun

noun: paragraph; plural noun: paragraphs

1. 1.

a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.

synonyms:

section, subdivision, part, subsection, division, portion, segment, passage More

"the concluding paragraph"

"a paragraph in the newspaper"

verb

verb: paragraph; 3rd person present: paragraphs; past tense: paragraphed; past participle: paragraphed; gerund or present participle: paragraphing

1. 1.

arrange (a piece of writing) in paragraphs.

par·a·graph
ˈparəˌgraf/
noun
noun: paragraph; plural noun: paragraphs
  1. 1.
    a distinct section of a piece of writing, usually dealing with a single theme and indicated by a new line, indentation, or numbering.
    synonyms: section, subdivision, part, subsection, division, portion, segment, passage More
    "the concluding paragraph"
    "a paragraph in the newspaper"
verb
verb: paragraph; 3rd person present: paragraphs; past tense: paragraphed; past participle: paragraphed; gerund or present participle: paragraphing
  1. 1.
    arrange (a piece of writing) in paragraphs.

Do I need to post the definition of *edit*? Or have you got it covered?

Edited by OBXer