The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Don't let coastal get you down.  I also said this team was *edit* and then got shot down because there was some sort of Island on this board where fans remained blindly optimistic and yet the writing was always on the wall that the Canes were a .500 at best.

I can't stress enough that our forwards need to get bigger and stronger.  We need to be able to establish  fore check and actually have people that are willing to finish their checks.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Eric shipped out.  I am starting to think that he is cancerous and the core problem of this team.  Do you guys ever see his facial expressions?

If not just keep an eye out.  It reminds me of  a little 10-year old kid that is upset.  The guy has been coasting out there for months now waiting for golf season to begin.  He gets checked and it takes him 30 seconds to actually get back up.  I could go on and on but it is clear as day that he is not a captain.  It is time to strip him of the C.

Brindy and Francis were captains.  Guess what, we also went to the playoffs at the very least 1 out of every 4 years with those guys running the show.  Aside from 2006 the teams that went to the post season were far less skilled than the horses that we have now.  There really isn't any excuse guys.

Don't let coastal get you down.  I also said this team was sh*t and then got shot down because there was some sort of Island on this board where fans remained blindly optimistic and yet the writing was always on the wall that the Canes were a .500 at best.

I can't stress enough that our forwards need to get bigger and stronger.  We need to be able to establish  fore check and actually have people that are willing to finish their checks.  I also wouldn't mind seeing Eric shipped out.  I am starting to think that he is cancerous and the core problem of this team.  Do you guys ever see his facial expressions?

If not just keep an eye out.  It reminds me of  a little 10-year old kid that is upset.  The guy has been coasting out there for months now waiting for golf season to begin.  He gets checked and it takes him 30 seconds to actually get back up.  I could go on and on but it is clear as day that he is not a captain.  It is time to strip him of the C.

Brindy and Francis were captains.  Guess what, we also went to the playoffs at the very least 1 out of every 4 years with those guys running the show.  Aside from 2006 the teams that went to the post season were far less skilled than the horses that we have now.  There really isn't any excuse guys.

Thanks Blue,

I remember reading your posts and you are a fellow realist and advocator for real change. My Wife and I call that the Eric Staal pout. He generally does it most games, that sort of face tells the stroy of lack of composure. Its like a poker face have to be confident and cool otheriwse you let the opposing team know they own you, and thats the guy leading the team.

I agree with your statements about Brindy and Ronny we have not had a good leader since Brindy and have let players that fill our "gaps" go to free agency to lock up guys like Pitkanen. I first knew things were really really wrong when we let Whitney walk. Either way I hope they turn it around.

If that makes you happy go ahead.

Nobody reads BLOCKS OF TEXT. 

Clear enough?

Im sorry I forgot to space my writing after I was finished. I guess thats how stream of consciousness takes form on here. I also didn t realize it was your job to make backhanded remarks that do little to further a conversation or give critical feedback in favor of being pompous and self affirming. Maybe here on the boards you can have dominion with your several thousand posts but please dont forget yourself in the process and spectrum of reality. I come here to talk about hockey to make observations and share them, ask questions and thats pretty much it. That does not include being condescended to by someone who basically lives on this board because they have posted more than me. That does not mean you are smarter just that you have an incredible amount more free time.  I am now done wasting my breath on you so say what you will but I have seen you make other comments similar to this to others. This is a block of text to piss you off by the way.

Edited by Kopes2718

Part of participating on a message board is putting your thoughts and opinions down so they are easily communicated to the other members. 

Kopes, if I didn't want to read your opinion, I wouldn't have bothered suggesting you try a different approach.  You seemed to take it as a friendly suggestion a few weeks ago, right?

Look, sorry if I got your drawers all twisted up.  If you typing in like blocks of text fine.  But I can tell you most on here will ignore you because it's just to damn hard to read.

In the future, I'll just skip right over it.

Are you serious bluedevil58?

Just what exactly did I do that was against the rules?  I didn't even single anyone out with a quote.  There was a reason for that.  It required no response.

If members are too dang lazy to post an opinion that others can ACTUALLY read by doing nothing more than using the enter button, or don't have the ability or attention to detail to spell coaches and players names correctly, then that's on them.

So with that said, nobody should get their panties in a twit when a member calls them out on it.

Crap like this is what's wrong with this country, and anyone who finds it that big of an issue to use our language as intended makes me sick to my stomach. 

Americans are just becoming lazy, and don't expect that anyone should have any command of the English language and how to use it.  It's no wonder everywhere you go now that you have the choice of "Espanol".  In my opinion the Espanol button should read "Use the English button - You Got a Problem With That?".

The only thing I'm guilty of is straying off topic.

So, back on topic.

Thanks to the both of you, bluedevil58 and Kopes, for letting us know you felt you were right all along, while others were not, and that you now somehow feel vindicated. 

That's what I took away from your "discussion." 

Edited by coastal_caniac

Coastal,

Did you really just go all 'Merica on us? I dont think that proper use of the english language is whats wrong with this country. I feel its more the willingness of people to be total dicks to strangers for seemingly no reason and with little regard.

You are basically calling me lazy while you hover right around 7k posts, which means you are on your computer an obscene amount. This equates to roughly 115 posts per month, 4-5 a day since 2009 and I am lazy because I write a certain way? Not only have you been a jerk to a total stranger for literally no reason, you have judged people and basically come off as racist with your comment about speaking Spanish. Whats the point of using english the proper way if thats the kind of intolerant stuff that comes from peoples mouths.

Maybe if you put as much effort as you do into calling people out on chat forums about things such as this and put that effort towards understanding cultures and being a kinder dude we would not be here.

You have never met me, know nothing about me and have judged me. I have used things you have said to form a small view of who you are which is not a judgement. I spend my time in soup kitchens and helping kids with illnesses at Shriners hospital tht is the Gods honest truth, so understand why some stranger calling me lazy and saying I am whats wrong with this country rubs me the complete wrong way.

Might not be a bad thing to ask yourself what you are doing to better the world around you. This didnt need to go there but you brought it to the next level. Now can we all please go back to talking smack about the Hurricanes.

Edited by Kopes2718

If anyone cares we sent Murphy back to Charlotte today. Chex are a point out of a playoff spot with 4 games left.

If anyone cares we sent Murphy back to Charlotte today. Chex are a point out of a playoff spot with 4 games left.

Sorry OBXer.We have been making your job difficult today. Hopefully they can snag a playoff spot.

Maybe if you put as much effort as you do into calling people out on chat forums about things such as this and put that effort towards understanding cultures and being a kinder dude we would not be here.

You have never met me, know nothing about me and have judged me. I have used things you have said to form a small view of who you are which is not a judgement. I spend my time in soup kitchens and helping kids with illnesses at Shriners hospital tht is the Gods honest truth, so understand why some stranger calling me lazy and saying I am whats wrong with this country rubs me the complete wrong way.

Might not be a bad thing to ask yourself what you are doing to better the world around you. This didnt need to go there but you brought it to the next level. Now can we all please go back to talking smack about the Hurricanes.

So if people aren't allowed to judge you for the way you represent yourself on an internet forum, why do you feel it's okay to judge hockey players on a professional sports team? I don't see the difference. Either way, good for a laugh.

So if people aren't allowed to judge you for the way you represent yourself on an internet forum, why do you feel it's okay to judge hockey players on a professional sports team? I don't see the difference. Either way, good for a laugh.

How is it a Judgement saying that players are under performing when I have eyes and can read stats? I have never been the guy on here who contemplates what buying a new house and getting a puppy has done to a players mindset. I have always argued stats visual performances and facts.

I have also never attacked the players character as a person which is why these two things are totally unrelated in almost every way possible. Seriously how is me not spacing a paragraph at all an indication of my character or integrity as a human being, that was the basis of the argument made... honestly now.

Edited by Kopes2718

Thanks Blue,

I remember reading your posts and you are a fellow realist and advocator for real change. My Wife and I call that the Eric Staal pout. He generally does it most games, that sort of face tells the stroy of lack of composure. Its like a poker face have to be confident and cool otheriwse you let the opposing team know they own you, and thats the guy leading the team.

I agree with your statements about Brindy and Ronny we have not had a good leader since Brindy and have let players that fill our "gaps" go to free agency to lock up guys like Pitkanen. I first knew things were really really wrong when we let Whitney walk. Either way I hope they turn it around.

Can you point me in the direction of the stats on Eric's pouty face? I'd like to see those numbers. I'm not going to argue whether or not what you said above is true or not, because neither of us can back up or deny Eric's leadership based on stats, I'll let that be determined by the players in the locker room and the management. I just don't see how you can say you don't criticize a player's character when this is clearly criticizing someone's character...

The race card got played on a hockey forum, I haven't seen it all but I must be getting close.

Typically I'd add a one liner here to try to get back on topic but this is so far off and I'm laughing so hard I dunno what to say.

Edited by legend-1

:clubs:This is what happens when your hockey team sux.  We can't see out team beat anyone on the ice so it's all out war on each other.  Not to worry, a few tweaks in the off season and we will be doing it again next year this time, so sayeth the Owner :sarcasmalert:

Now kiss and make up damnet!!  Ya'll are not sticking to the system!!!!

Anybody want to talk about hockey?

My question of the day: why did we even re-sign Boychuk? He just made second team All-AHL, leads AHL in goals w/35, is 2nd in AHL in points w/70 points in 65 games, and on the occasions he got called up to a team that STRUGGLES to score 2 goals per game, was given 6 or 8 minutes a night on the 4th line. This season has honestly been over since about 6 games after the Olympic break. Why in the world did we not bring him up and give him the last 15 to 20 games on one of the top 2 lines just to see if he has maybe some chemistry with someone on this team. Does his defense suck that bad (would not make him stand out on this team)? We have been desperate for scoring all year. Dwyer could have taken his 8 goals to the 4th line for a month just to see if Boychuk can score at the NHL level. Anyway, he got no chance at all which I don't understand.

The race card got played on a hockey forum, I haven't seen it all but I must be getting close.

Typically I'd add a one liner here to try to get back on topic but this is so far off and I'm laughing so hard I dunno what to say.

Who threw the race card?

Thank goodness- I'm not so sure "smurphy" is quite ready for primetime yet...that's not to say I don't think he will be but the boy needs a little meat on his bones lol

Thank goodness- I'm not so sure "smurphy" is quite ready for primetime yet...that's not to say I don't think he will be but the boy needs a little meat on his bones lol

Murphy is a good example of what is wrong with the way this team is assembled. I like Murphy and think he will be good. His size hurts him, when you factor in the surrounding lack of size on the team. Yeah, you can afford to have a couple of smallish players if you have a balance with some bigger, physical players. It's not that Murphy can't or won't make it. It's that JR has assembled a team that he can't mesh with.

Seems like an overall plan or some kind of vision is needed. Last summer, JR said the bottom half of forwards needed to get bigger and harder to play against, and then he did what? Just think how good Gerbe would look if there was some complimentary size to go with him.

Edited by super_dave_1

Hope PK has watched the last 2 games since he taped his interview. With few exceptions, outworked, outplayed, no fire in the belly. Especially disappointing tonight playing the last home game of the season AND playing the Caps when they should have been deflated having been eliminated from the playoffs last night.

Must admit, right now, I see players with talent who don't seem to mesh together in almost any line combinations, and so many issues, I don't know where to start. Players who may need to be moved to change the team culture have outrageous contracts that we will be lucky to move at all, much less for anything like fair value. Still, I think of Colorodo last year, 29th, and the turnaround they made with a new GM and coach. Maybe something can be salvaged before attendance lags so far that we lose the team.

For those worried about draft picks, I think with tonight's results, we can now go no lower than 8th, and 6th is still most likely. This is worse than Groundhog Day. I've never felt this pessimistic about the immediate future of the Canes. Somebody talk me off the ledge!

Hope PK has watched the last 2 games since he taped his interview. With few exceptions, outworked, outplayed, no fire in the belly. Especially disappointing tonight playing the last home game of the season AND playing the Caps when they should have been deflated having been eliminated from the playoffs last night.

Must admit, right now, I see players with talent who don't seem to mesh together in almost any line combinations, and so many issues, I don't know where to start. Players who may need to be moved to change the team culture have outrageous contracts that we will be lucky to move at all, much less for anything like fair value. Still, I think of Colorodo last year, 29th, and the turnaround they made with a new GM and coach. Maybe something can be salvaged before attendance lags so far that we lose the team.

For those worried about draft picks, I think with tonight's results, we can now go no lower than 8th, and 6th is still most likely. This is worse than Groundhog Day. I've never felt this pessimistic about the immediate future of the Canes. Somebody talk me off the ledge!

don't think attendence will sag so low the Canes move.  if the Kitty-kats aren't moving neither will the Canes.  That said, major changes are needed to keep even more STH from jumping ship

After tonight I'm in the - new GM - Fire coaching staff - Keep Eric (if he wants to play here) please dump Komi - CAMP !

This game like most of the season was full of excuses - please bring in someone that talks the talk the WALKS THE WALK!

Do some honest evaluating - no knee jerk reactions to missing the playoffs - the Brandon sutter trade has turned out to be very costly- Jordan would have been a free agent and would have come here anyway... Don't make any more costly mistakes!

As for patience... After Muller's comments tonight - and the game - there is a whole worn right through mine!