The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Murphy is a good example of what is wrong with the way this team is assembled. I like Murphy and think he will be good. His size hurts him, when you factor in the surrounding lack of size on the team. Yeah, you can afford to have a couple of smallish players if you have a balance with some bigger, physical players. It's not that Murphy can't or won't make it. It's that JR has assembled a team that he can't mesh with.

Seems like an overall plan or some kind of vision is needed. Last summer, JR said the bottom half of forwards needed to get bigger and harder to play against, and then he did what? Just think how good Gerbe would look if there was some complimentary size to go with him.

sd_1, that what I've been suggesting for quite some time. I've phrased my thoughts as "undermining the value of our smaller players" when that is all that we seem fixated upon. One or two of these "mighty mites" are extraordinary, but as you say, and as I feel, you have to offset their diminutive sizes with some more substantial players. When we keep bringing on board smaller, finesse players than their individual expertise is diminished, even if they would be a St Louis caliber.

Tolchinsky assigned to Charlotte, who won yesterday, and are still in the playoff hunt. They do not play until Sunday.

(Not posted in reference to the current conversation, no matter how relevant.)  ;)

Eric Staal Nominated for King Clancy Trophy

The Carolina Hurricanes today announced that Eric Staal has been selected by his teammates as Carolina’s nominee for the 2013-14 King Clancy Memorial Trophy. It marks the fourth time that Staal has been nominated for the honor, which is annually awarded to the NHL player who best exemplifies leadership qualities on and off the ice and has made a noteworthy contribution in his community.

So Eric gets the nod from his teammates for the 4th time. Just goes to show that whether or not you believe he should wear the 'C', his teammates think pretty highly of him for his leadership qualities.

OK, I get off here for a minute and the place goes nuts.

BD, about the Island. I've already admitted I was wrong, but I'll do it again since it all went so wrong. 

My prediction was based on J. and E. playing at least slightly above average. Did not happen (understatement of the century)

Ruutu returning to form. OH boy did THAT not happen.

Guys at least hitting career averages. Outside of Gerbe....not so much.

And Cam getting back to form. Never really happened. Flashes, but not there.

I also was planning on JR finding one more piece: ideally a Morrow, or the like. He did not do that.

Half of the plan did happen. Getting our defense to around mid-pack. Predicting big things from Sekera: from my post: JR found a hidden gem here, especially for what we need. If one suspends fantasy (teams don’t give up their Chara’s), it is hard to think of a dramatically better pick up here. This is a HUGE upgrade not to be overlooked.

On the other hand, while I liked the Khudoben pick up a LOT, I did not see him coming to the degree he did. Though to be fair I have been on the Khudini bandwagon for quite a while now that I've seen him more. 

The combination of several key forwards vastly under delivering and just about all of them well off of their career averages let alone career bests and a truly painfully dismal PP, sank the Island. Remember how good E. Semin Tlusty was last year....

The only forwards who put up near to expected numbers: Skinner and Gerbe. And maybe not so quick on Gerbe. Skinner has regressed as a passer, and has not consistently improved his defense though and is a substantially minus player. Gerbe: 30 points from a third liner is actually pretty good, but on a ppg basis even he is well off his best year already put up in the NHL.

Skinner can create offense by himself in a shoebox and every other forward is well off expectations. The defense and goaltending overall improved, the forwards all massively regressed as a group: Eric, Jordan, Ruutu, Semin, and Tlusty as a group: the gap between possible and what happened is massive. Is this coaching? That's a big wild card. I chose to project a full training camp Muller to the first 100 game Muller. The way this team has looked when down...that might have been the big mistake.

I personally think this team massively underperformed the talent that is here still. Some, BD probably you, think I am pie in the sky vastly over rating the talent. Fair enough. Though ALL of them outside of Lindholm had an NHL track record of actually producing MORE than I was projecting. 

So my belief is that the Island sank under the combined weight of bad coaching and bad leadership and on ice production from at least 5 of the top 6 forwards, which included a terrible PP. Either way, I was wrong and it sank.

I honestly do not have a clue wether the primary problem is core forwards and leadership from the Staals or the Coach, or both.

It is really hard to see moving both Staals out, let alone both Staals and Semin, so I'm starting to think Muller bites it.

Maybe supplementing the team with more grit and size and a new coach would be enough. Depends on what the Staals are capable of in Raleigh. Do we roll those dice one more time? May not have a choice.

Edited by remkin

It should be an interesting week

Michael Smith @MSmithCanes 1h

#Canes exit interviews slated for Tuesday, April 15. Head coach Kirk Muller will address the media on Wednesday, April 16.

* And by exit interviews I mean final player media availability. Internal exit meetings with management take place on Monday.

BD, about the Island. I've already admitted I was wrong, but I'll do it again since it all went so wrong. 

My prediction was based on J. and E. playing at least slightly above average. Did not happen (understatement of the century)

I also was planning on JR finding one more piece: ideally a Morrow, or the like. He did not do that.

Half of the plan did happen. Getting our defense to around mid-pack. Predicting big things from Sekera: from my post: JR found a hidden gem here, especially for what we need. If one suspends fantasy (teams don’t give up their Chara’s), it is hard to think of a dramatically better pick up here. This is a HUGE upgrade not to be overlooked.

On the other hand, while I liked the Khudoben pick up a LOT, I did not see him coming to the degree he did. Though to be fair I have been on the Khudini bandwagon for quite a while now that I've seen him more. 

The combination of several key forwards vastly under delivering and just about all of them well off of their career averages let alone career bests and a truly painfully dismal PP, sank the Island. Remember how good E. Semin Tlusty was last year....

The only forwards who put up near to expected numbers: Skinner and Gerbe. And maybe not so quick on Gerbe. Skinner has regressed as a passer, and has not consistently improved his defense though and is a substantially minus player. Gerbe: 30 points from a third liner is actually pretty good, but on a ppg basis even he is well off his best year already put up in the NHL.

Skinner can create offense by himself in a shoebox and every other forward is well off expectations. The defense and goaltending overall improved, the forwards all massively regressed as a group: Eric, Jordan, Ruutu, Semin, and Tlusty as a group: the gap between possible and what happened is massive. Is this coaching? That's a big wild card. I chose to project a full training camp Muller to the first 100 game Muller. The way this team has looked when down...that might have been the big mistake.

I personally think this team massively underperformed the talent that is here still. Some, BD probably you, think I am pie in the sky vastly over rating the talent. Fair enough. Though ALL of them outside of Lindholm had an NHL track record of actually producing MORE than I was projecting. 

So my belief is that the Island sank under the combined weight of bad coaching and bad leadership and on ice production from at least 5 of the top 6 forwards, which included a terrible PP. Either way, I was wrong and it sank.

I honestly do not have a clue wether the primary problem is core forwards and leadership from the Staals or the Coach, or both.

It is really hard to see moving both Staals out, let alone both Staals and Semin, so I'm starting to think Muller bites it.

Maybe supplementing the team with more grit and size and a new coach would be enough. Depends on what the Staals are capable of in Raleigh. Do we roll those dice one more time? May not have a choice.

One reason I am so upset is because the talent that we have on this team and then to drop a goose egg like this is beyond disappointing.  This team is stocked with talent from the forwards to the D and not to mention vezina like numbers from Khudobin.  I don't know what to say.  This was the biggest failure hands down in franchise history.

I don't see any reason to make excuses (and I know your not) for the optimism and the "Island" theme.

Quite a few members shared in that, others not so much.

Those that did, and those that didn't are all pretty dang disappointed, so in the end, here we are again.

I'm still not convinced JR is really stepping down, so next week should be a telling sign of where we go from here.

My bet is Muller stays, since PK won't want to pay a coach not to coach here.

Edited by coastal_caniac

coastal, am I incorrect in thinking that he did exactly that with Lavy? Also, rem, I'll unabashedly state that I for one stayed with your "island" until the tsunami wave washed it away. I'd also wager that if there could be a redo, results would be vastly different with this group, it's just like last night, when the dam broke, there was no turning back!! 

Finally, after the Karmanos nirvana proclamation, I now believe that the source of this current stench starts at the top. Changing GM's, coaches, players or even the head trainer(who became a popular "whipping boy" at one point) will not achieve the desired consistency with a naive philosphy like PK exposed the other day. Remember, it all trickles down hill!!

coastal, am I incorrect in thinking that he did exactly that with Lavy?

No your right, and if I remember correctly he had 2.5 years left on his contract (since he got fired in December).

Just seems from the interview alone that PK was leaning towards keeping Muller.  And then there is el-cheapo.

Just a hunch, I could be wrong.  But if he stays, somebody else is going to have to go from the sounds of Luke's article.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Yeah, I really think either Eric is gone or Muller.

My bet is Muller, but E. would not shock me.

Luke has the questions right. Good article. I guess at this point there are no answers.

I guess pick the right GM, make just about everyone available for trade and do some soul searching big picture plan making.

As to fan patience.Those that have been around a while have less and less each year w/out playoffs, and I can't imagine there are very many new fans that are ready to become STH at this point.

Edited by remkin

I guess pick the right GM, ...

So true, that would be huge. But my FEAR is they will give it to Ronnie (after all, he's a good guy...argh!).

We need a proven front office winner, NOT RF!

Trading a 19 goal scorer with an $8.25 million contract will be impossible unless we eat at least a couple of million a year for the duration of the contract AND take a very sub-par return. I think Muller needs to go anyway - clearly the veterans on this team have not bought in and are not playing for him. So if it is Eric or Muller, my money is on Eric to stay.

If PK thinks he is going the cheap route by retaining Muller, maybe he should do some math on how many season ticket renewals (plus parking, concessions, etc.) he stands to lose if he does not do something to get the fan base back on board. I have come around to agreeing with those who think the new GM needs to come from outside the organization. This whole mess needs a fresh look from someone in no way beholden to the past or personal ties to the owner. And after we find that GM, he needs to bring in his own coaching staff, then work down from there reconstructing the team. If he wants to keep Francis as an assistant GM, no problem.

Back to reality, every indication is that Francis will be the GM. If so, I hope he has fresh ideas and is given the freedom to implement them. Until the post-Olympic crash, I felt we still had a viable playoff contending team. Now I've come around to the viewpoint of those on the board who say "same management, same coaches, same core players will equal same result."

Nice win tonight at least, and I'm glad that if that was Cam's last game as a Hurricane, he will be leaving on a high note.

Trading a 19 goal scorer with an $8.25 million contract will be impossible unless we eat at least a couple of million a year for the duration of the contract AND take a very sub-par return. I think Muller needs to go anyway - clearly the veterans on this team have not bought in and are not playing for him. So if it is Eric or Muller, my money is on Eric to stay.

FULLY AGREE.  I'd rather they find a way to move Eric, but not going to be easy for his grossly overpaid NHL 4th highest salary!

If PK thinks he is going the cheap route by retaining Muller, maybe he should do some math on how many season ticket renewals (plus parking, concessions, etc.) he stands to lose if he does not do something to get the fan base back on board.

FULLY AGREE. I forecast a  net 15-18% drop in STH sales.

I have come around to agreeing with those who think the new GM needs to come from outside the organization.

Welcome to the club!!!

This whole mess needs a fresh look from someone in no way beholden to the past or personal ties to the owner. And after we find that GM, he needs to bring in his own coaching staff, then work down from there reconstructing the team. If he wants to keep Francis as an assistant GM, no problem.

Again, fully agree!  And I suggest the new person be Mark Howe (assuming he wants it).

Back to reality, every indication is that Francis will be the GM.

Sad but true,  that's just the way mgmt works around here.

If so, I hope he has fresh ideas and is given the freedom to implement them. Until the post-Olympic crash, I felt we still had a viable playoff contending team. Now I've come around to the viewpoint of those on the board who say "same management, same coaches, same core players will equal same result."

Yep. The PK interview only makes me feel worse about things.

Nice win tonight at least, and I'm glad that if that was Cam's last game as a Hurricane, he will be leaving on a high note.

Again, fully agree.  Time to dump Cam and free up as much of that $6.5 million salary as we can!  Then take that extra money and get a serviceable FA that is not washed up.

I also wonder if it is something he was fighting for a while.

I think that was implied in another article.  If so, probably a sports hernia or the like.  That's a bummer!