The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I agree with Sekera.

I think Skinner had a good year in the goal scoring department but 52 points for him really isn't an overall good year.

And his defense , or lack of it, has to be worked on...

agreed.  wonder if his lack of defense relates to a fear of being concussed again?

Just watched Predators / Blackhawks game tonight. Matt Cullen scored his 600th point. Barry Trotz may have coached his last  game for Nashville. Why did we let Matt go, and do we have anybody with the stones to make Trotz a offer if he is unemployed?

Edited by winger52

Trotz is one of my favorite coaches, and I was thinking about the possibility of him comng here. The issue may be the "square pegs into round holes" reference that someone else made. Trotz is a defensive-minded coach that likes to get production from the back end, and he runs a very structured system.

I would love to have Trotz here, but I think significant personnel changes would have to follow (which is fine by me). Some of our defensemen would fit, but I have concerns about how guys like E. Staal, Semin, and Skinner would fit. You know they want to play a more up-tempo type game where they are free to use their skill/creativity, and I'm not sure Trotz would stand for that.

Basically I think Trotz is a more seasoned/upgraded Muller who I have a lot of respect for as Nashville is generally known as a hard-working team without a lot of star power. It would be a bit of a shock to him and the team if he came here, but maybe that is not a bad thing.

Still, the personnel has to match the coach/system, and I'm not sure that is the case with a Canes/Trotz marriage. It hurts me to say that because I am a big Trotz fan.

Having said all of that, I would be thrilled to have Trotz come here.

Also, Lindy Ruff had sort of the same reputation, but if you watch Dallas they fly up and down the ice so...

Edited by Kyrule

I think Nashville knows it's time to cut ties with Trotz...it's not that he's done anything wrong...it's just that, after 15+ years, it's time for a new flavor for the team.

I am going to totally disagree with those that have voiced their desire to see Barry Trotz as our head coach for 2 reasons! !st, he has been successful in the Western Conference, and his "defensive style" I believe would be a disaster in this conference.

2nd, and more to the point, for those who thought that Maurice coached a boring game, just imagine Mo x 2, and we'd all fall asleep watching a game coached by Trotz. I say no to him, please?

Edited by KJUNKANE

I also feel Trotz would be the wrong fit for the Canes. Unless we are undertaking a total rebuild it won't work.

If my math is right, Trotz has made the playoffs 7 of the last 10 years...  that's an upgrade!

I say YES to a proven winning NHL Head Coach (something Kirk is not).

But first I'd get a new GM from outside the Canes organization.

Naturally all this is mute as PK "likes" the coaching staff (I mean after all, PK had a nice dinner with them while in NYC. I mean what more would us fans want -- we all need to be more patient according to Mr PK!!).

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

Kyrule--I like Trotz as well----and he is one of my favorite coaches. We do agree on something! :lol:

I respect him because he plays small market hockey in the tough Western Conference and

has managed to get them to the playoffs with decent frequency.  But, given a TV choice,

I will always watch another game over Nashville (Even with my fav-Cullen there) because

I think their heavy defense first is not terribly exciting.

If our veteran players gave push back to Muller, as John F implied, what would they

do to Trotz?  Answer----likely comply or sit in the press box.---because he has the

experience and the guts to enforce, I would think.

But I am not sure the Preds will let him go?  Is that a rumor ? ( It would be like the

Canes to bring back Maurice X3) He is just an interim at the Jets, isn't he?  :wacko:

I say these things for the same reason I think if Cam goes, they will sign Peters as Dobys

backup. The organization has not shown me they are willing to stray too far from

their comfort zone----and PK's comments about "tweaks" doesn't lead me to think we

will see bold, exciting moves. I will be surprised if they do something dramatic to entice STH's.

If my math is right, Trotz has made the playoffs 7 of the last 10 years... that's an upgrade!

I say YES to a proven winning NHL Head Coach (something Kirk is not).

But first I'd get a new GM from outside the Canes organization.

Naturally all this is mute as PK "likes" the coaching staff (I mean after all, PK had a nice dinner with them while in NYC. I mean what more would us fans want -- we all need to be more patient according to Mr PK!!).

I would like a "nice dinner" with the coaching staff - I would like to ask them to explain the "system" they are asking the players to play

I would like to ask them what in the world are they asking them to do on the PP - and who the hell is in charge of it

I would ask them who exactly needs the "attitude" adjustment

I would ask them what they see in Komi (other than he is a nice guy)

I would ask them why Timmy needed to change his style

I would ask them why Rosie was cut lose and why Rutuu and jussi were buried on the fourth line while bowmen was treated like a super star

I would ask them why we traded Sutter for a player that was going to be a UFA and would have come here anyway.

I would ask them why we would bring in Eric's brother if we intended to trade Eric.

Oh man after reading this we may need to get a room (lol)

So many questions so little answers- famous line "you want answers? YES I'm entitled to them" PK I'm being patient but I'm not a saint...

Edited by Pkling40

I would like a "nice dinner" with the coaching staff - I would like to ask them to explain the "system" they are asking the players to play

I would like to ask them what in the world are they asking them to do on the PP - and who the hell is in charge of it

I would ask them who exactly needs the "attitude" adjustment

I would ask them what they see in Komi (other than he is a nice guy)

I would ask them why Timmy needed to change his style

I would ask them why Rosie was cut lose and why Rutuu and jussi were buried on the fourth line while bowmen was treated like a super star

I would ask them why we traded Sutter for a player that was going to be a UFA and would have come here anyway.

I would ask them why we would bring in Eric's brother if we intended to trade Eric.

Oh man after reading this we may need to get a room (lol)

So many questions so little answers- famous line "you want answers? YES I'm entitled to them" PK I'm being patient but I'm not a saint...

:thumbsup:  great post!!

BTW... I think I can answer this one...

I would like to ask them what in the world are the asking them to do on the PP - and who the hell is in charge of it

Answer: Kirk! He typically runs it and directly is in charge of it. Thing is he uses almost the same plays as he did as a player in MTL.. ie: older stuff that is well know around the league.

Edited by Greg-N-Ral

I just saw a random stat about Eric Staal. He is 4th in the Eastern Conference in takeaways. Yet we get mad about him being lazy. If he gets a point against the Flyers today he'll be at 60 points on the season. 60 points in a down year? Why trade him? He's still producing despite playing on a dysfunctional team. And he's not the reason it's dysfunctional. That goes on Muller and Rutherford.

Get a new coach, add some 3rd and 4th line depth, add a top line winger to go with Eric and Semin.

? - Eric - Semin

Skinner - Jordan - Lindholm

Skinner and Lindholm seem to have some chemistry together and Jordan plays well with anyone you put on his line. 

Edited by TheFaulker

We have been trying different players to try and help Eric for years now. When does it come together? Why will next year be different? Really don't want any more excuses. I think that " stars " consistently play near their best,maybe with an occasional off year or injury year in the mix. Eric is consistently around 75% of his best year. This year we hope that he scores a point in the last game of the season to get to 60%? Not good enough. Who do we bring in to get Eric 40 more points?

So you think he should get 100 points every season?

There's only 1 player in the league with 100 points this season. Eric has been consistently getting 70-80 points in his career which is very solid. Last year he had 53 in a shortened season. He has one year where he gets 60 points and people are calling for his head. He's been our most consistent player and even in a down year he has more points than anyone on the team. 

Edited by TheFaulker

Outside of this year Eric has earned his paycheck. And even this year, he hasn't been as terrible as people make him out to be. 

In the past 5 full seasons (including this year) only 3 other players total have gotten 60 points in a season for us.

Whitney 07-08 had 61

Whitney 08-09 had 77 

Jokinen 09-10 had 65

Skinner 10-11 had 63

That's it.

So Eric is having a bad year to his standards and yet he's still producing more than just about anyone we've had in the last 5-6 years. Please stop acting like he's the problem.

Edited by TheFaulker

You know I could tolerate Eric significantly underperforming his salary if the rest of the game and the leadership and team results were there.

His career year was obviously 05-06

But 07-09: He put up around 80 points and 40 goals  points and was a plus 13. 

Even a touch off of that would be OK, even with his salary, if he was the leader of an effective team. 

I have been leaning towards thinking he might have to go, but in researching this post, I rediscovered something:

If last year had been a full year, and Eric had played all of the games, his numbers projected out out would have been 90 points and plus 8 on a decidedly minus team. 

I had to do the math again. LAST YEAR: 90 points if it was a full year. Last year. 

Could it be the knee? I don't know, but trading him off a career worst year w/ he and his brother having NTC's. Talk about no return. I don't think that is even really an option unless the perfect trade comes up.

Kind of makes me not want to buy Muller stock right now.

Eric has shown a general malaise and laziness on the ice too...points are nice...but leadership is lacking.  If we keep him, strip him of the C!

How about the league pays players a percentage of their baseline, and those that excede their base getting extra money for that extra effort. So with Eric only being paid 60% of his baseline this year there would be extra money for anyone who stepped up. Can you imagine Khudobin putting shots on the other goal? This might also help our power play. More shots on goal is always a good thing.

Not acting like Eric is the only problem on this team, but he carries the most cost and the most visability. 

Edited by winger52

Eric has shown a general malaise and laziness on the ice too...points are nice...but leadership is lacking.  If we keep him, strip him of the C!

I'd bet my bank account that if the team voted for captain Eric would win unanimously. 

Edited by TheFaulker

"Eric's team" Nominated him for the King Clancy Trophy...if he is not the "leader" of this team why would they do that?

We don't have the advantage of a complete picture both on and off the ice- this teams management has made some costly mistakes (sutter) and some brilliant moves (Tomas kaberle) Hopefully someone takes a deep breath - before trading the farm!

Eric and Cam both need to stay - I know that's not popular here - Bowmen - Komi - Peters - can all go... Keep Manny- Gerbe - Loktionov...

Call me crazy - I'm all in - glad I stayed on the island Rem - I'll wait for the "hurricane" next season -

New Canes Motto - PLAY LIKE YOU MEAN IT!

I still like Cam but Dobby is obviously better and we can't pay Cam over 6 mil to be a backup. It's time to move on.

Even with retaining 20% of his salary we would save a little over 5 mil in cap. That could be used add scoring depth.

Edited by TheFaulker

Kyrule--I like Trotz as well----and he is one of my favorite coaches. We do agree on something! :lol:

I respect him because he plays small market hockey in the tough Western Conference and

has managed to get them to the playoffs with decent frequency.  But, given a TV choice,

I will always watch another game over Nashville (Even with my fav-Cullen there) because

I think their heavy defense first is not terribly exciting.

If our veteran players gave push back to Muller, as John F implied, what would they

do to Trotz?  Answer----likely comply or sit in the press box.---because he has the

experience and the guts to enforce, I would think.

But I am not sure the Preds will let him go?  Is that a rumor ? ( It would be like the

Canes to bring back Maurice X3) He is just an interim at the Jets, isn't he?  :wacko:

I say these things for the same reason I think if Cam goes, they will sign Peters as Dobys

backup. The organization has not shown me they are willing to stray too far from

their comfort zone----and PK's comments about "tweaks" doesn't lead me to think we

will see bold, exciting moves. I will be surprised if they do something dramatic to entice STH's.

:)

Good post/points, especially about Trotz thriving in a small market. I agree his style is not the most exciting, and like I said he may not be a good fit with the personnel we have.

I also completely agree this organization has some serious issues when it comes to leaving their "comfort zone." Hopefully this will change in the future.

Lastly, I apologize for my tone in the GDT, the season is ending and my frustration is showing. Especially after the PK interview.