The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Dreger on NHL Network. Said Holmgren has 2 possible deals he likes.

1. Coburn to Carolina for the #5

2. Coburn to Edm for #7 and 4th Rounder

i sure hope that's not true 

We better not give up our pick.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 4m
GM Jim Rutherford says there has been a lot of interest in Canes' No. 5 pick. Has fielded lot of calls today.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 3m
Rutherford said if pick is traded, "We would like to have a first-round pick of some kind." Notes Canes "have a few things to think over."

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 2m
Rutherford said obtaining top-4 D-man remains No. 1 priority. Asked if there could be trade to get a forward, he said "possibly."

I don't see it. We have to get a first round pick back with a Coburn  + 5 pick. Throw in whoever you need to (within reason) to make it work but Coburn for the 5. Just walk.

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-lot-of-interest-in-no-5-pick#.Uc9hVN8VfN8.twitter

Another article with JR quotes.

He says Peters will be the back up for Cam next season.

He is hesitant about adding a dman via FA because of long-term high-salary contracts.

Says a trade could be for a dman OR a forward.

Article also ties us to Lecavalier and Briere but JR did not comment on that topic.

Edited by TheFaulker

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/rutherford-lot-of-interest-in-no-5-pick#.Uc9hVN8VfN8.twitter

Another article with JR quotes.

He says Peters will be the back up for Cam next season.

He is hesitant about adding a dman via FA because of long-term high-salary contracts.

Says a trade could be for a dman OR a forward.

Article also ties us to Lecavalier and Briere but JR did not comment on that topic.

More of the same ,   :sarcasmalert:  just miss the playoffs by being  #14 in a 16 team conference. Who will the faithful blame, Offense, Defense, or the Backup.

McKenzie said JR wants to trade the #5 pick for an established dman while staying in the top 10.

That sounds tough.

Ok so lets run this down

#6 Calgary- Wideman, Giordano, O'Brien, Brodie

#7 Edmonton- Schultz, Schultz, Smid

#8 Buffalo- Myers, Erhoff, and Sekera

#9 NJ- Larsson, Green, Salvador, Tallinder, Volchenkov

#10 Dallas- Goligoski, Robidas, Daley

Ok so lets run this down

#6 Calgary- Wideman, Giordano, O'Brien, Brodie

#7 Edmonton- Schultz, Schultz, Smid

#8 Buffalo- Myers, Erhoff, and Sekera

#9 NJ- Larsson, Green, Salvador, Tallinder, Volchenkov

#10 Dallas- Goligoski, Robidas, Daley

NJ makes most sense if they want Nichuskin given Kovalchuk. They also signed Loktianov and have Poni. Not sure about their Cap space and contracts, but drop to 9 and ship Mcbain if necessary. Edited by Manwolf

J.R. better work some magic at the draft,with Free agent signings and with trades if this team would like any chance of making the playoffs next season. No more Mickey Mouse divison, Carolina will be in tough next season.

Peters over Ellis?? im soooooooooo confused... doesnt make sense!I think matty 1.. would want too many years, and well.. hes old :) we NEED big GUYS THAT CAN MIX IT UP AND SCORE..

And another thing, ok, im out of it, 3 hours on road will do that to ya, dont rev my engine JR, BY DANGLING Vinnys name, unless u get him... dont tease me anymore!

If Peters is Cam's backup next season we are screwed. Fix it JR.

I wouldn't mind Cullen coming back but not for too long of a deal.

I have a feeling a lot of people on this board are going to be disappointed tomorrow.

I don't know exactly what you mean by that? Perhaps something like -- we're going to "settle" for Monahan?

Now, I do understand its a shame we did not get higher than 5 and I get that part. For example...

Dale Tallon, while a little guarded, suggests a "Top 4" tier and while he mentions Nich, Tallon is firm in talking 
about the "top 4" as the first tier.     

Hopefully #5 isn't that far below.

All that said, I think many of us are excited about what's going to happen today. It could be a great day!

I don't know exactly what you mean by that? Perhaps something like -- we're going to "settle" for Monahan?

Now, I do understand its a shame we did not get higher than 5 and I get that part. For example...

Dale Tallon, while a little guarded, suggests a "Top 4" tier and while he mentions Nich, Tallon is firm in talking

about the "top 4" as the first tier.

Hopefully #5 isn't that far below.

All that said, I think many of us are excited about what's going to happen today. It could be a great day!

Well my gut feeling is telling me JR's going to do a trade that most people here aren't going to agree with. I just thought back to last year and this board rioted over the Staal trade.

Also, a lot of people seem to vary on who to draft.

I am posting on 3 canes boards today lol I am so ready for the draft. What chances do you think there are of us picking at 5 and getting a Nichuskin, and then trying to trade back into say the top 12 to get Ristolen??? I think it would take Skinner. I know this is crazy but what do you expect from someone who has slept for an hour??? THoughts?

The only thing that is pretty certain about today is that it probably will rain in Raleigh. As to what the Canes do, it's anybody's guess, so yours is just as good as anyone's. I am starting to feel that Canes will trade down, altho I feel that is a mistake, and I really,really want Nich. Sounding like Skins is in play, so a 2nd 1st round pick is certainly possible. I'd be inclined to consider Darnell Nurse somewhere if we could get him. If higher up, go for Monohan.

I say it's 50/50 on keeping or trading down the 5th pick.  As far as Skinner in play maybe. At least everyone seems to indicate he is but I think it will take more then a draft pick to get him. Unless Skinner has asked for a trade I don't think he is moved.

edit: Just saw Toronto could be in the mix. That changes my opinion. Thinking Skinner could be in play for a trade with the Leafs.  Just a hunch.

Sweet jeebus...I take a day off to go hunt down some baddies in dirka-dirkastan and the thread takes a 180 on where we're going with the trades/draft.

My thoughts:

1. If we are trying to trade for a D-man and keep it in the top 10 of the 1st round, either go after Ehrhoff in Buffalo or after Salvador in Jersey.  Those two are probably the most talented of the pool mentioned in a post a few pages back.

2. GO AFTER ANDREW FERENCE

3. Are you kidding me with Pete-dawg backing up Cam next year?  Did you not see the disaster that was our goaltending after Cam went down?  Why tempt fate twice?

4. Something is gnawing at me about Skinner.  I have this nagging feeling that he is one concussion away from never playing again...a la Marc Savard.  If we are going to trade him, now's the time to do it.  If not, then find him some protection...like Matt Cullen or Erik Cole (since we know that JR is the league's top environmentalist GM).

5. I'm all for trading the pick if we can't get Seth Jones.  We have enough skill forwards right now.

Also, is the chat gonna be up for the draft tonight?

Horton has told Boston he is heading to free agency. This draft and free agency is becoming quite the drama.

Wonder if he would head back to the Kitty-kats