The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

The Sens have a great AHL team from which to draw players---didn't they

win the Calder Cup last year.? That is why they are in the playoffs !

Binghamton won 2 years ago.

The Canes were in 3rd place for a good amount of time until Ward went down.  They have already proven what they are capable of.

At the time of Cam's injury, the Canes were leading the SE division with 23 points. Because of the weak division, they were third in the east,and at the same time, only a few points ahead of ninth place. Don't get me wrong, I want the Canes to win, but I believe there are a lot of holes that need to be filled. I don't think we can win with most of the current D, and they need more depth up front.

No one is saying we can win with the defense we have.  But the team core is solid (Ward, Staal, Staal, Skinner, Semin, Tlusty, Ruutu, Gleason, Faulk).  There is a lot of talent there.  Any GM would like to have those players in his line up.

Binghamton won 2 years ago.

I stand corrected---but you know many of those guys in

Binghamton were still there to draw from when guys went

down this season. Not to mention that their Captain is a very

seasoned veteran leader----and they play a disciplined game.

And jb-,  I don't think our core is the problem--but we have a weak

supporting cast (bottom six)  and a porous D.

Edited by UNCCaniac8

No one is saying we can win with the defense we have.  But the team core is solid (Ward, Staal, Staal, Skinner, Semin, Tlusty, Ruutu, Gleason, Faulk).  There is a lot of talent there.  Any GM would like to have those players in his line up.

JB, I agree with you on the core and I think you can probably add whomever is chosen as the #5 pick ... probably a forward. We definitely need a couple of physical d-men to our mix, either stay-at-home or 2-way guys. Would like to see a couple of depth wingers that can pot a few goals ... maybe we already have them.

Has anybody heard if Rask will be joining the Checkers?

Branecky tweeted yesterday that since his playoffs are over he is 'clear' to return to Charlotte but he did not indicate that he would return to Charlotte. That being said I'd be very surprised if he didn't show up soon.

Anyone following the Rutherford presser going on right now? Most interesting thing so far: LaRose didn't even bother to show up for his exit interview. Talk about calling a guy out.

Edited by Deadbolt

Imagine if Rask is the real deal and ready to roll and we pick just for fun say Nichushkin and he quits the KHL immediately:

Semin/E./Tlusty

Ruutu/J./Nich

Rask/Skinner/NEW gritty guy.

Doesn't fix the defense, but lots of interesting options for the other guy to stop up front.

Or if we get Barkov, put him in for Skinner at third center, move Skinner up to second.

Anyone following the Rutherford presser going on right now? Most interesting thing so far: LaRose didn't even bother to show up for his exit interview. Talk about calling a guy out.

Maybe LaRose has been reading these boards. Looks like JR has pretty much laid it out for LaRose. 

He's been a really key and loved player though. He should go out head held high.

If it's reached that point, then it's probably best for both parties to get a change of scenery. People loved Chad, but it's best if he moves on.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 6m

LaRose skipping the exit meeting didn't completely determine his fate, but it's unlikely he will be back with Canes.

Luke DeCock ‏@LukeDeCock 4m

A couple important points from Rutherford/Muller availability: 1. Canes will spend more next year, closer to cap, to add 2-3 defensemen.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 4m

Just one man's educated guess: Bergeron could be back with Canes and McBain could be traded.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Wow.  I thought he was "all about the team".  Sounds like that won't help the coach.

JR didn't take too well to Lavi's skipping interviews.  He was very angry, and Lavi basically started to lose his job over it.

I would guess that LaRose's agent may have floated an extension idea which wasn't well received.  Just guessing.

Edited by wxray1

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 6m

LaRose skipping the exit meeting didn't completely determine his fate, but it's unlikely he will be back with Canes.

Luke DeCock ‏@LukeDeCock 4m

A couple important points from Rutherford/Muller availability: 1. Canes will spend more next year, closer to cap, to add 2-3 defensemen.

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 4m

Just one man's educated guess: Bergeron could be back with Canes and McBain could be traded.

Ugh on Rosey...I don't get it.  What would possibly preclude him from going through a normal process?

As far as MAB and McBain, fine by me, but we had better re-up MAB for as cheap as possible (read: less than $1M per year)

Imagine if Rask is the real deal and ready to roll and we pick just for fun say Nichushkin and he quits the KHL immediately:

Semin/E./Tlusty

Ruutu/J./Nich

Rask/Skinner/NEW gritty guy.

It's really hard to predict how a center will adjust to playing the wing.  I have not been able to find anything on Rask playing wing.  I think that  Skinner looked so much better playing at his natural center position.  He is not the most defensively gifted or largest center so he would need to be paired with wings that compliment his skill set and stature.  Dwyer is a great choice on one wing because he works hard, plays good defense, and doesn't need the puck to be successful.  A team also needs penalty killers and Dwyer fits that role as well.  The other wing should ideally be a bruiser.  I don't mean a fourth line/ extra enforcer type.  I mean a big guy that will hit and go to the net.  Somebody with a little sandpaper.  If we draft Nich, and he jumps the pond, he would fit nicely on that line.

Virtually all our forward prospects are converted centers.  That's why I like Drouin and Nich above MacKinnon and Barkov.

As far as MAB and McBain, fine by me, but we had better re-up MAB for as cheap as possible (read: less than $1M per year)

The only way I would even consider bring MAB back would be if Murphy is not in the plans.  It would be way to much defensive liability to carry them both.

It's really hard to predict how a center will adjust to playing the wing.  I have not been able to find anything on Rask playing wing.  I think that  Skinner looked so much better playing at his natural center position.  He is not the most defensively gifted or largest center so he would need to be paired with wings that compliment his skill set and stature.  Dwyer is a great choice on one wing because he works hard, plays good defense, and doesn't need the puck to be successful.  A team also needs penalty killers and Dwyer fits that role as well.  The other wing should ideally be a bruiser.  I don't mean a fourth line/ extra enforcer type.  I mean a big guy that will hit and go to the net.  Somebody with a little sandpaper.  If we draft Nich, and he jumps the pond, he would fit nicely on that line.

Virtually all our forward prospects are converted centers.  That's why I like Drouin and Nich above MacKinnon and Barkov.

The only way I would even consider bring MAB back would be if Murphy is not in the plans.  It would be way to much defensive liability to carry them both.

JR mentioned in the presser that Murphy is an option...I expect we'll see him regularly starting next season.

The thing that drove me crazy was JR talking about how much we missed having guys like Spacek and Allen...DUDE, YOU LET BA WALK.

JR letting good defensemen walk has really hurt this team for several years now. I like JR, but this has been one of his greatest flaws.

The PP did look significantly better w/ MAB there and since that is such a dire need.....but so is actual defense. 

And I really do think Murphy makes it! But I have been wrong before that's for sure. Never stopped me though! It will also depend on the draft and what the other dmen end up looking like. But if we keep Murphy and Harrison, I don't want to try to get away with a subpar defender in the top 4, so not sure where MAB would fit....I think Murphy is the way to go for the offensive dman power play point guy.

I for one felt a very nice happy feeling about spending more and adding 2-3 dmen, and a sense of one-ness w/ Chip on moving McBain. Agree with all of that.

Edited by remkin

The PP did look significantly better w/ MAB there and since that is such a dire need.....but so is actual defense. 

I think they go hand in hand.  If the team is constantly worried about not being able to stop other teams from scoring, every aspect of the game suffers.  If the team believes they can keep most pucks out of their net, it allows the rest of the game to fall into place.  Confidence in themselves and each other should help special teams improve... a lot.

Wow.  I thought he was "all about the team".  Sounds like that won't help the coach.

JR didn't take too well to Lavi's skipping interviews.  He was very angry, and Lavi basically started to lose his job over it.

I would guess that LaRose's agent may have floated an extension idea which wasn't well received.  Just guessing.

Good riddance. He was way over paid in the first place. I am glad that he is going to be gone.

Asked about moving a top 6 for a Dman JR said if the deal was good enough and the D was top player. I would say all options are on the table excluding a select few.

He also said change our defense by 2 or 3 new faces.

This is going to get interesting.

The video is worth a review. 

I had hoped someone would ask about realignment, and any anticipated changes required.  They didn't but that's OK ultimately, 'cause all the teams are NHL.

Muller is a very cool cookie.  I liked the honesty of his answers.  He made it clear he won't be changing systems.  He didn't change as the season sunk because he felt he was looking at a "longer view" and didn't want to scramble things now.

He also said that MAB made a huge difference on PP.  He says since MAB came on, the PP was 27% and best in the East in that time.  That was followed up with a question saying "I'm assuming MAB is gone..." and JR corrected the interviewer and said don't assume that.

He was clearly disappointed in PK and wants guys who will trive on not letting a score occur on thier PK watch.

Edited by wxray1

In order to get where we need to be, or at least take a 1st step, i'd go after these players in order

David Clarkson, goal scoring capability and will hit anything that moves.  Could fit on 2nd or 3rd line.  

Douglas Murray, 6'3 240 and can protect the crease

Raffi Torres, exact same reasons as Clarkson

Ryane Clowe, same as Torres and Clarkson, although he maybe too expensive 

Ryan Whitney, this will probably be a top target of JR.  His production has fallen in EDM, but has shown he can be an asset on a good team.  6'3 220 doesn't hurt

Matt Cooke, for obvious reasons.  He's not the top enforcer on my list, but he does fill a void.  Most people didn't like Allen before he became a cane, just saying.

Robyn Regehr, 6'3 230.  Blocks shots and can utilize his size well 

Matt Cullen, i was upset when he left and he could always fill a void here.  Doubt he leaves Minnesota