The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Other than bringing back Corvo, nothing would set me off more than bringing in Cole or Cullen.  But, then I wake up and realize it's 2013, and instantly feel better.  Ain't happening.

He says Peters will be the back up for Cam next season.

being a former goalie JR should know by now Peters does not have the skills to play at the NHL level.  Could this move be  a smokescreen to get a back-up via a trade

Cullen a enforcer??? I dont think so???If we stay at 5, take nich, im really liking nurse, nephew of mcnab, comes froma family of sportsters. if nich is gone, . and i got bad feeling that skinner should be moved, i agree, one concussion away, from being done[ or one bad hit, same thing..] lets hope we are happy today.... see ya in chat in a few..p.s what if Jones drops in our laps?? We probaly trade down.. who knows, got a headache.. ina good way.. :)

Edited by dinz

NBC SPORTS PRO HOCKEY TALK: cited TSN’s Bob McKenzie and Darren Dreger reporting Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alexander Edler is believed available.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Edler’s got six years remaining on his contract at a cap hit of $5 million per season. Most teams won’t want that salary, but there’s a few clubs probably willing to do that deal Edler’s a good puckmoving defenseman, but with the cap dropping, the Canucks might have to take some salary back via trade or absorb part of his contract. The Hurricanes were linked to the Canucks and Edler, but apparently they’re not interested in taking on that salary.

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/351409175961669632

"Canes have 2 firm offers and a 3rd nibbling on 5th overall. Toronto is out. Carolina may wait until 4th pick to make a deal."

Rumor is Buffalo is offering Myers and 8th pick for McBain and 5th.

And they can afford to to that since they have two picks.

I'm thinking JR wants to see who's there at 5 for sure though it is almost definitely Nich.

That is a tempting offer..

And they can afford to to that since they have two picks.

I'm thinking JR wants to see who's there at 5 for sure though it is almost definitely Nich.

That is a tempting offer..

It is, I'd like to see us keep the pick and go after Clutterbuck tho (Minny was supposedly wanting a 2nd rounder for him.) There was actually a trade proposal posted over at HFBoards that I really liked but can't happen now, obviously.

Canes

Falk

Clutterbuck

Minny

35th Overall Pick

McBain

Thought process being Myers has regressed a lot and isn't worth his cap hit leaving Clutterbuck (who fits our forward needs single-handidly,) with the better value at a cheaper trade cost.

Edited by Blinding

https://twitter.com/DarrenDreger/status/351409175961669632

"Canes have 2 firm offers and a 3rd nibbling on 5th overall. Toronto is out. Carolina may wait until 4th pick to make a deal."

Rumor is Buffalo is offering Myers and 8th pick for McBain and 5th.

Anything that moves McBain along would be nice, but man that is a big commitment to a big contract of a big man.

Anything that moves McBain along would be nice, but man that is a big commitment to a big contract of a big man.

His real salary is 4.4 mil per year, since most of his contract was paid with that 12 million first year, but if we do trade for Myers someone among Pits, Gleason and Skinner is going to have to be moved.

And now Clutterbuck is gone. With the draft pick we have found out that our defense is better than we thought. And the Devils have the stones to trade for a goalie. I guess they want to get back to the playoffs.

Edited by winger52

And now Clutterbuck is gone. With the draft pick we have found out that our defense is better than we thought. And the Devils have the stones to trade for a goalie. I guess they want to get back to the playoffs.

Beat me to it. And I think we could've swept in and offered something more enticing and not detrimental to the team while bringing in Clutterbuck. Although there is the hope contract talks don't go well, but I doubt that. NYI looks tough now.

I have a feeling a lot of people on this board are going to be disappointed tomorrow.

Well, you turned out to be correct!  The #5 pick has certainly got mixed reviews overall, and in truth, some here will always be optimistic regardless.

The Canes haven't made the playoffs in a few years, yet they used the #5 pick (in a dream draft) on a player who likely won't be available for the upcoming season. 

I guess I was expecting more (sooner).

The Canes haven't made the playoffs in a few years, yet they used the #5 pick (in a dream draft) on a player who likely won't be available for the upcoming season. 

I guess I was expecting more (sooner).

Greg:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 14s

Rutherford said Lindholm either would be on Canes roster next year or go back to Sweden for last year of contract with Brynas.

So, it can be sooner.

Greg:

Chip Alexander ‏@ice_chip 14s

Rutherford said Lindholm either would be on Canes roster next year or go back to Sweden for last year of contract with Brynas.

So, it can be sooner.

Well wouldn't we all want it any other way?  Go to camp, make the squad, stay in Raleigh.  If not, go to Sweden.  I really don't see the big deal other than expectations that the Canes were getting an NHL ready player.  He'll likely make the squad, but there is no guarantee.

No big deal IMO.

The very idea that JR would ever say that a kid was guaranteed a spot was part of why he didn't take Nich.

Lindholm is going to have as good a chance to make this team as can be, just like Skinner. Since Lindholm has played vs men and plays a good two way game and plays hard, I bet he makes it, and I bet JR thinks he will too.

I realy think the fact that Monahan was such a natural for JR, he must have seen a lot to love about Lindholm.

Add in the trade and over time this will prove to be a good day.

Edited by remkin

If I were prone to complaining, which I'm not, and am probably in the aforementioned optimistic following, this draft still isn't stocking the cupboard with prospects.  Slippery slope.

I'm not entirely thrilled by the Sekera trade. We needed a top-4 defenseman, so we traded a top-4 defenseman AND the 35th pick to get a top-4 defenseman. I don't think it's an absolutely terrible deal, but not as good as some are portraying it. I guess this means we still have our free agent targets, and one of them hopefully is another top-4 defenseman. I wonder who Sekera pairs with, Faulk? Pitkanen? Gleason? And even if the chances weren't that great, the 35th pick had a chance to make the roster this year like Ryan O'Reilly. I like Nichushkin and all he was portrayed to bring/be, but there must have been something that threw teams off. I doubt it was simply his nationality. We improved defensively and potentially found a third line center for the next three years at least. But I think J.T. Compher + McBain > Sekera. That's just me though  :couch: The weird thing is, talking with Buffalo fans on the Hockey'sFuture forum about getting our fifth, we worked out this deal, just with the first instead of the second and with one of the bottom six forwards I forget who specifically.

Especially if Tyler Kennedy is worth a worse second round pick, Sekera somehow is worth McBain and a really high second round pick?

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Jamie, a Top 4 dman Sucka? I very much disagree. He was projected to be a Top 4 dman, and arguably was when he was called up in 09, but outside of that he's been nothing better then bottom pairing fodder, and that's when his defensive play isn't atrocious. He came into the past two seasons like he didn't give a crap and it showed, and it's obvious his value was close to nothing because 1. when do we ever trade with Buffalo and 2. they only took him on our second attempt to rid of him, the first being when we offered them the 5th and McBain for their 8th and Sekera, arguably a much more valuable trade for Buffalo.

Sekera is an immediate upgrade to the defense undeniably. Jamie had plenty of time to get his act together and get back to that level of play we saw in 09 but he didn't, so good riddance. If he changes things around in Buffalo, good for him, but based on the last two seasons that doesn't seem likely to happen, which in turn means we pretty much fleeced Buffalo as a large chunk of their fans reactions were that they didn't want the trade and the Sekera was arguably either their best or second best d-man.

As far as Nich, he either interviewed very poorly or teams didn't want to touch his KHL nonsense. At first I was a bit surprised by our Lindholm pick but it certainly makes sense, he's a natural center which allows us to stick him on the third line and make it into a scoring line like Kirk wants depending on who we bring in through Free Agency, but he can also play wing and has some pretty slick hands which warranted comparisons to how Backstrom was playing his draft year.

Really, why would anyone miss a guy that finally gets in shape for the last quarter of a season.  Two seasons in a row he comes in with the Fat Kaberle.

He wasn't even top-4 on our terrible effort at defense?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Jamie, a Top 4 dman Sucka? I very much disagree. He was projected to be a Top 4 dman, and arguably was when he was called up in 09, but outside of that he's been nothing better then bottom pairing fodder, and that's when his defensive play isn't atrocious. He came into the past two seasons like he didn't give a crap and it showed, and it's obvious his value was close to nothing because 1. when do we ever trade with Buffalo and 2. they only took him on our second attempt to rid of him, the first being when we offered them the 5th and McBain for their 8th and Sekera, arguably a much more valuable trade for Buffalo.

Sekera is an immediate upgrade to the defense undeniably. Jamie had plenty of time to get his act together and get back to that level of play we saw in 09 but he didn't, so good riddance. If he changes things around in Buffalo, good for him, but based on the last two seasons that doesn't seem likely to happen, which in turn means we pretty much fleeced Buffalo as a large chunk of their fans reactions were that they didn't want the trade and the Sekera was arguably either their best or second best d-man.

As far as Nich, he either interviewed very poorly or teams didn't want to touch his KHL nonsense. At first I was a bit surprised by our Lindholm pick but it certainly makes sense, he's a natural center which allows us to stick him on the third line and make it into a scoring line like Kirk wants depending on who we bring in through Free Agency, but he can also play wing and has some pretty slick hands which warranted comparisons to how Backstrom was playing his draft year.

:thumbsup:

I was surprised that JR came out and said that McBain showed up out of shape, was in the doghouse, and he didn't see him getting out any time soon. I have talked about accountability, and at least this shows that there is some. Just surprised it was made public. I'm just glad we can put McBain behind us, as someone said, addition by subtraction.

Maybe he didn't play like a top-4 dman, but he was slotted into our top-4 along with Pitkanen, Gleason, and Faulk, so on paper he was a top-4 dman regardless. Our defense did get improved though so I'm not devastated. I'll consider losing McBain and 35th Overall a half-step back and gaining Sekera a full step forward.

I am glad as well JR wasn't afraid of calling out McBain and showing actual accountability still exists in our organization.

Maybe he didn't play like a top-4 dman, but he was slotted into our top-4 along with Pitkanen, Gleason, and Faulk, so on paper he was a top-4 dman regardless. Our defense did get improved though so I'm not devastated. I'll consider losing McBain and 35th Overall a half-step back and gaining Sekera a full step forward.

I am glad as well JR wasn't afraid of calling out McBain and showing actual accountability still exists in our organization.

No he wasn't, first half of last season he was getting beaten out for a spot by Sangs, then he got slotted in next to Pits because seemingly Pits only works well with McBain, but then when Pits went down he was back to getting beaten out for a spot by any number of our call ups. Pretty sure his top 4 slot with Maurice didn't last long either. He was a prospect projected to be top 4 worthy who wasn't developed poorly, no, but instead decided to be lazy with his conditioning and it showed, and with us needed to free salary to not just bring in missing pieces like a top 4 dman but to also make sure we can extend Faulk and Tlusty and him having really no place in the lineup he was going to be moved one way or another, we just happened to get Sekera to take his place.

For the first time in years we finally have four defenders who can comfortably play in the top 4, and if JR plays his cards right during free agency things should only go up from here.