The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I've been sitting on the sidelines mostly leading up to the draft and now with UFA season starting Friday was wondering:  Where (if at all) does Murphy fit in to the team's plans this upcoming season?  Thoughts?

I think Murphy will compete for a spot.  If he doesn't earn a spot, and I think he will, he'll be sent to Charlotte (unless he's not old enough or whatever).

I've been sitting on the sidelines mostly leading up to the draft and now with UFA season starting Friday was wondering:  Where (if at all) does Murphy fit in to the team's plans this upcoming season?  Thoughts?

I'd like to see him earn a spot this season, I am just not entirely sure where that spot is. Probably 5-6 pairing with Harrison, sounds good if he shows up to camp and earns the spot over someone else. Gleason/Pits Sekera/Faulk Murphy/Harrison/Bellemore if we dress seven. And we don't even know what will happen when UFA opens up, we may get another guy in there to compete for a spot.

Interesting article on Sekera.

Here's some Sabre fan reaction to losing Sekera.... 

http://sabres.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=675900&navid=DL|BUF|home

Cant say they seem heartbroken about losing him.

I guess we'll find out soon.

There are multiple other sights we can't link to on this board that would strongly support the opposite opinion.  But yes, I hope he lives up to those sights opinions of him.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Here is what I came up with. Feel free to critique.

Semin-E Staal-jiri

Skinner-Jordan-Ruutu

Dwyer-Lindholm/Nash-Cooke or UFA (Power forward 6.2-6.4 ft and a solid 35 point scorer)

Blanchard-Welsh/Sutter-Wallace

Gleason-Faulk

Pits-Sekera

Harrison-(stay at home D UFA we are talking about a big bruiser here)

Bellmore

Thoughts? Either way if we want to win we have to get more physical. We need a okish Power Forward to help establish a forecheck and a physical d man. Not a star D man but a big 3rd pairing guy that knows how hot and clear people from the crease.

I am so glad that we didn't break the bank trying to snag a high end d-man. We actually have some $$ to work with to bring in some help.

Edited by bluedevil58

We now officially have more people under the team bus then on it. :hairpull:

Now that i got that out of my system.

If we dress 7 D again I see Murphy filling the MAB spot. If we carry only 6 I see Bellemore and Murphy fighting it out for the last spot. I give the edge to Bellemore with Murphy starting the season in Charlotte.

The unknown in this is Joni's health and if we pick up another Dman.

The unknown in this is Joni's health and if we pick up another Dman.

Near the end of the video about the Sekera trade, JR said that Joni's progress has been "real good, we expect him to be 100% by the start of training camp." Hopefully that is the case.

My thoughts on free agency/defense is that I hope Bellemoore gets a good look and earns the #6 spot, with Murphy moving in as needed. Then maybe look to add a guy during the season. As much as I would love another free agent defensemen I think any remaining room should be used to add that gritty/power forward who can chip in some points for the third line that everyone seems to agree we need. I would also like to see the backup goalie issue addressed, going into the season with Peters as the backup is lunacy based on his performance last season. Still, as everyone knows, our financial situation is tight and money has to be saved somewhere. I'm just not sure the #2 goalie position is where to do it, a good backup could be the difference between say 4 to 8 (or more) points in the standings and we all know what a couple more points could do.  

Edited by Kyrule

Near the end of the video about the Sekera trade, JR said that Joni's progress has been "real good, we expect him to be 100% by the start of training camp." Hopefully that is the case.

I saw that. I have no reason not to think that is the case. On an injury like Joni's I think I am very cautious. I thought Joni (I'm not a big fan) was playing very well last season. He looked like he had some intensity and purpose to his game. The injury came not because he was playing soft but because he was hustling for the puck. I hope he is alright and brings that kind of game again this season. Until I see him skating I think I will remain cautiously optimistic that he will will be alright.

Now I'm confused.  Weren't you saying that McBain was a top 4 guy?

I was saying that IF he was in the top 4, it was not that he WAS a top 4 guy, but that he was overslotted.

Yeah, and I was saying he may not technically BE a top 4 guy, but he was a top 4 guy here.

Do we still need a third line center? If Filppula becomes available he would be my choice. 

I'm probably in the minority here but I don't think we do.  Nash is an RFA and we need to tender him and sign him.  His first year up was actually comparable to Brandon Sutter...yes he came in older but Nash has the skill set to be very good at this level, he is Ronnie Francis' project and I think that in and of itself should give all of us a good deal of confidence.  He needs to put on some muscle this off season but I think he'll start the year centering the 3rd line.

We still need to round out the 3rd line and it will be interesting to see what happens there...on the left there could be a slot for Bowman or Dalpe (decision to make there on tendering him) and as for FA's, Fippula or Latandresse (assuming he's healthy) could be FA options...another interesting option could be Viktor Stalberg, he played on the Right last year but I think he can also play LW, contract was 875K last year and he'll be in for a raise; I think the idea of putting a bunch of Swedes together might be intriguing for him.  On the right (assuming young Lindstrom does not make the roster) Dwyer could fill a hole but he does not really give that line serious scoring punch, David Clarkson would be a huge score for the team, maybe Brad Richardson from the Kings as options.

Defensively, in terms of FA, the player we need and the price we can pay, there is not a ton out there....I disagree that we need some hulking dude unless he is a hulking dude who can really skate, otherwise he will be lost in the system.  After watching the playoffs and watching a guy like Douglas Murray, I don't think we need a guy like that...you can include Andrew Alberts on that list as well.  Rob Scuderi makes sense if we can get him at a discount, maybe Ference and still my outlier is Andre Benoit out of Ottowa. 

I don't think Riley Nash is the answer on the third line.  I may be in the minority actually.  I'm just not seeing a guy with much offensive upside.  He's okay defensively, but I think his upside is more of a third-fourth line tweener and in the end he's more suited to a fourth line slot.

I don't hate Nash at 3rd line center. But honestly the only true 3rd line player we have on the team is Dwyer. We know we need to upgrade our 3rd and 4th line so IMO that means we either get another wing or a center for the 3rd line.  I see Sutter maybe filling a 4th line spot but 3rd line we need some experience.

Our 3rd line needs to be more then a shutdown line. It needs defensive responsibility but always looking for offensive opportunities. The 3rd liners also need to be able to play a good PK. At least thats how I see it. I won't be surprised if Nash stays or goes.

I don't hate Nash at 3rd line center. But honestly the only true 3rd line player we have on the team is Dwyer. We know we need to upgrade our 3rd and 4th line so IMO that means we either get another wing or a center for the 3rd line.  I see Sutter maybe filling a 4th line spot but 3rd line we need some experience.

Our 3rd line needs to be more then a shutdown line. It needs defensive responsibility but always looking for offensive opportunities. The 3rd liners also need to be able to play a good PK. At least thats how I see it. I won't be surprised if Nash stays or goes.

I can't see it being Sutter since he has a 2-way deal and Welsh is on a 1 way...maybe we tender Nash, maybe we trade Welsh, maybe with continue with the Skinner experiment.  Skinner centering Lindholm or vice versa could be pretty interesting; then of course, we'd need a 2d line winger to play with Ru and Staal.  Interesting stuff to ponder and it certainly shows there is work to be done. 

I can't see it being Sutter since he has a 2-way deal and Welsh is on a 1 way...maybe we tender Nash, maybe we trade Welsh, maybe with continue with the Skinner experiment.  Skinner centering Lindholm or vice versa could be pretty interesting; then of course, we'd need a 2d line winger to play with Ru and Staal.  Interesting stuff to ponder and it certainly shows there is work to be done. 

The Welsh contract has always been a mystery to me. Maybe he will wow us in camp but I don't see him making the team. I really don't see Skinner anywhere but 2nd line or traded. I don't think we trade Skinner. I think Sutter has a real chance on 4th line. If there is a player that has earned a chance I think it is him. It is interesting stuff to ponder. I guess we wait and see what kind of offer we tender to Nash.

For my own interest, I went to Capgeek to check out our situation.  Don't read too much into the actual lines because my intention was to see what kind of money is potentially left to add additional players.

So, assuming:

1) Lindholm and Murphy both make the team, and

2) We tender an offer to Riley Nash, and

3) I include everyone else on 1-way deals,

The Canes have approximately 3 million dollars to add players to this roster of only 21 players.  That's disturbing.

Not to mention if we stay at the self-proclaimed 61-62 million budget we are done.  Unless some serious cash goes out the door, how in the heck are we going to significantly upgrade anything else?

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Elias Lindholm ($0.900m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m)
Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Jeremy Welsh ($0.850m) / Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m)
Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) / Riley Nash ($0.735m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Faulk ($0.900m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m)
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Jay Harrison ($1.500m) / Ryan Murphy ($1.313m)
Brett Bellemore ($0.600m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Justin Peters ($0.538m)
OTHER
Buyout: Derek Joslin ($0.125m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.400% of upper limit)
Jussi Jokinen ($0.900m—0.3%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $61,460,833; BONUSES: $460,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,299,167

Edited by coastal_caniac

.....alongside the article linked above.

Very good stuff!! I am smiling even more now.

And for irony's sake I loved this quote:

the last time I checked, you can't get scored on when you have the puck

Buffalo fans might have to rethink that now that they have McBain. 

coastal those salary projections hammer home our dilemma. Complicating it further are the earlier comments from JR saying we will spend near the cap but probable not to the cap.

So I expect we will be looking at some addtional trades.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Hal Gill (NSH), Greg Zanon (COL), Matt Hunwick (COL) on regular waivers.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: Kris Russell (STL) on regular waivers. Keith Ballard (VAN) clears regular waivers.

@TSNBobMcKenzie: WSH puts Jeff Schultz on unconditional ($100) waivers for purposes of buyout. Ditto for NYI and Rick DiPietro.

@tsnscottcullen: Hunwick on waivers after playing 21:31 per game for Avalanche. That's a change in direction.

@tsnscottcullen: I'll be interested to see where Blum lands, if he's traded or not qualified by Nashville.

A few defensemen being put on waivers.

Blum. 24, 6'1'' 190lbs right handed shot, former first rounder (23rd OV). 91GP - 7G - 15A - 22Pts. Also 2 assists in 12 playoff games.

Gill. 38, 6'7'' 244lbs left handed shot, Big, shotblocker, bruiser. Aging, yet experienced. In over 1.1k games 36G, 184Pts. One more year at 2m.

Zanon. 5'11'' 201lbs left handed. Stay at home crease-clearer and bruiser. 2.5m hit

Hunwick. 28, 5'11'' 190lbs left handed. 291GP 116Pts. 1.6m hit. 

Schultz. 6'6'' 227lbs left handed. Former first rounder (27 OV). Big, sound defense while chipping in occasionally offensively. I like Schultzy the most besides maybe that old fart Gill out of anyone here. 2.75m hit. 

If we sign someone or claim someone, teams have until a certain date to become cap compliant. I can see JR picking up pieces and going to the ceiling or maybe even over, and righting the ship with trades dumping some salary. But I also see JR being his usual patient self, picking up a few bargain guys, and potentially targeting one or two guys that are higher profile and meet specific needs/roles. I think JR should move a few guys that have consistently underperformed for some prospects to bring into Charlotte though, to help relieve some cap stress.

Also,

@Real_ESPNLeBrun: According to the league, free agents can start speaking to other teams beginning at 12:01 am ET tonight (Tuesday night/Wed morning).

And then there's this:

NEWSOBSERVER.COM: Chip Alexander reports Carolina Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford will seek a defenseman in the upcoming UFA market. One option could be Boston Bruins defenseman Andrew Ference.

SPECTOR’S NOTE: Ference might be a good fit for the Hurricanes, bringing experience and leadership to their defense corps.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Mostly Chex news but it could be important to the Canes plans so I'll post here

Chip Alexander @ice_chip 2h

GM Jim Rutherford said Canes will make qualifying offers to RFAs Nash, Dalpe, Boychuk, Jordan and Jared Staal.

No qualifying offers to Jenks, Nodl, Krueger, Pither, Sova and Muse.

UFAs Jerome Samson and Tim Wallace will go into free agency,

Rutherford again said Canes will not make use of compliance buyouts.

I don't think the numbers above regarding the salary are completely accurate.  For one, we only pay Sekera 1.75mil rather than the full 2.75.  That is confirmed by Chip. I've also seen other reports saying we will have 5.5mil-7mil to spend.  The finalized cap, of course, depends on who makes the team after camp.

So it looks like Wallace and Brent will be gone.  Fourth line makeover

I don't think the numbers above regarding the salary are completely accurate.  For one, we only pay Sekera 1.75mil rather than the full 2.75.  That is confirmed by Chip. I've also seen other reports saying we will have 5.5mil-7mil to spend.  The finalized cap, of course, depends on who makes the team after camp.

his salary is 1.75 but his cap hit is 2.75 a year

I agree that JR will kick the tires on a guy like Ference and see if we can get him at a good price; hope we can...I think Welsh has to be on the block for cash or picks, maybe Westgarth too (I like Wallace and/or Blanchard better on the 4th line).  Do we tender Dalpe, will he take another 2-way deal?  What about Ellis and the backup goalie situation, can JR sneak Peters in a deal (Philly, Isles, Vancouver??)...no question its gonna get interesting here soon. 

I agree that JR will kick the tires on a guy like Ference and see if we can get him at a good price; hope we can...I think Welsh has to be on the block for cash or picks, maybe Westgarth too (I like Wallace and/or Blanchard better on the 4th line).  Do we tender Dalpe, will he take another 2-way deal?  What about Ellis and the backup goalie situation, can JR sneak Peters in a deal (Philly, Isles, Vancouver??)...no question its gonna get interesting here soon. 

According to Chip we will qualify Dalpe but no word on terms.