The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I don't think the numbers above regarding the salary are completely accurate.  For one, we only pay Sekera 1.75mil rather than the full 2.75.  That is confirmed by Chip. I've also seen other reports saying we will have 5.5mil-7mil to spend.  The finalized cap, of course, depends on who makes the team after camp.

If you re-read the post, you will note they are cap hits, not salaries, and they came straight from CapGeek, a trusted source for those numbers.  You are correct on the salary, but the cap hit is higher.

Faulker, I edited the original post to make that a little clearer.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Ference made 2.25 last year. I think other teams will be looking at him. 2.5 to 3 mil?

I would love to add Andrew Ference but how, surely he will get something of a raise? 

Edit:  After looking at what SuckaPunchd posted, I think those media outlets just threw in the Ference comment.  That references what JR said after the draft that we might kick the tires around in FA and might add a piece at the right price.

So, meh....

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think we should target Clowe, Ference, and Scuderi. Anyone getting tendered a QO should be competing for any bottom six spot. Would be nice to see Jared Staal play on the third or fourth line. He looked strong out there in the game he played, almost like a powerforward but not quite.

Currently we have

Lindholm, Dwyer, Bowman, Blanchard, Boychuk, Dalpe, Sutter, Jared Staal, Nash, Welsh competing for bottom 6 spots.

I'm not going to assume we get anyone really for the bottom six anymore.

Here's where I think each guy is trying to get as far as lineup and roster spots.

Third Line:

Wing: Bowman (LW), Dwyer (RW), Boychuk, Dalpe, Lindholm

Center: Lindholm, Skinner (possible), Nash, Dalpe

Fourth Line:

Wing: Blanchard, Jared Staal, Welsh, Bowman

Center: Welsh, Sutter, Nash

Best fit in my opinion:

Third line:

Lindholm - Skinner - Dalpe/Dwyer = If Lindy can't play center or Muller wants Skinner to center, Lindy plays wing. Dalpe makes the third line IF his two-way play is improved. He can pass and shoot, so it comes down to his skating and defense now. This line in my opinion has serious potential to put up big numbers, as well as contain the puck (thus limiting opposing scoring chances). If Dalpe's skating or defensive play is lacking anything, Dwyer gets the nod on the RW, taking away some offense but instilling some sound defense and speed. You could always switch Skinner and Lindholm by the way.

Lindholm - Nash - Dwyer = If you want more of the same old on the third line, this is what it probably will look like. The sad part is this is probably going to be tried.

Fourth line:

Boychuk/Jared Staal/Bowman - Nash - Dwyer = This could even be a third line. I like this group of guys, because Nash has the work ethic and IQ, Dwyer has the defense capabilities, and Boychuk brings the offense (hopefully). Not to mention Dwyer and Boychuk are two of the fastest skaters we possess. Would be fun to see in the post season at least. If Boychuk just floats around, I'd insert Jared Staal. He's not the fastest skater, but he's strong on his feet, big, protects the puck, and surprisingly to me played a powerforward style rather than a grinding style. If he's smart about playing two-ways, he can easily claim a spot on the fourth line long term, with potential to move up a la Dwyer.

Blanchard - Sutter - Westgarth/Bowman = This is our goon squad. Blanchard actually skates well and makes smart plays, we already know Sutter brings physicality and grit not to mention he was really developing a better game offensively in the AHL, and Westgarth, if somehow he can play like he did in the final game of the season, can hopefully bring more than fights. But I'd say, if someone is being a bully to one of our players, next time that bully is out throw this line out there. Any forward you come in contact with WILL fight you and stand up for their teammate. Bowman showed he's willing to drop the gloves, but isn't necessarily used to fighting and it showed. He plays well positionally, has a sick shot that just needs to be aimed. Keeping him up would be ideal to his development, and if Blanchard plays as smart as he did last year, they have potential to keep cycles going in the opposing zone aside from striking fear in the hearts of bullies.

The reason I spent an hour messing around here, is we have more than enough bottom six forwards. And unless someone wants to take a few off our hands, we aren't going to sign a bottom six forward. However, with that said, if Skinner plays on the third line, that opens a spot on the second line (and I highly highly doubt Lindholm gets slotted into the top 6 over Skinner), in which case we may go after a third/second line winger like Clowe or T.J. Galiardi. I think Clowe may be too pricey though, but he's more than capable of top 6 play. Especially when you're with Jordan Staal and Tuomo Ruutu.

If Skinner stays I really don't see him anywhere but top 6. I don't see Nash as a 4th liner the way we want to play. The thing is with Muller the third and 4th line aren't throw-aways. These guys are gonna have to play and help on special teams.

Ultimately, I think we don't really have a solid basis to judge where guys may go in regards to the lineup, because Muller has said several times he wanted a training camp to be able to really evaluate each guy and have them each earn their spot, not be given a spot based on their star status or name, but by their skill and work ethic. So I think we may see some interesting lines this pre-season.

And I see Nash as a fourth line center before I see him as a third line center. I just don't think Skinner fits our second line the way it's built, size and strength. Skinner's got strength, but not size. I'd be more comfortable with him as a third line center, which will make his game better considering he likes to handle the puck. Dalpe and Skinner showed a spark, and Lindholm obviously is going to work hard and do the right things on the ice regardless of who is on his line. Who knows? I totally omitted Rask because I haven't heard management mention him in terms of next year's plans, but with Lindholm maybe that changed? 

Rask - Skinner - Lindholm would be nice in a few years :o

We have super center depth, considering Boychuk, Dalpe, Rask, Lindholm, Jordan, Eric, Sutter, Nash, Skinner all identified as centers at some point. Boychuk and Dalpe may never be centers in the NHL, Rask we haven't seen much of yet, Lindholm is about to be a rookie. The thing I like about it is most of our wingers are going to be comfortable stepping in to take draws if needed, and that can result in more puck possession time.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

SP you could be right. We differ on Skinner but I won't be surprised by any line combo in training camp.

SP you could be right. We differ on Skinner but I won't be surprised by any line combo in training camp.

I thought Skinner looked good as a center. I also am one of those people that just plain flat out don't believe Skinner is being moved any time soon for anything. That was all started by Luke DeCock. Maybe if he struggles for another year or two, but I doubt he struggles as well. I'm not saying Skinner is a God or the next Crosby, but I will say he is one of the best young forwards this team has had and to give up on him literally right when he's no longer on an ELC is ridiculous. We aren't going to find long term success if we bail on all our drafted players the second the bumps in the road become more obvious. He's a future alternate captain and I think at some point he could crack fifty goals. Why not? He's only 21 and has a 60pt 30+ goal season (at age 18). Once again, a player plays above and beyond his expectations, so as soon as he shows some growing pains people want to trade him immediately. As 'Canes fans, don't you think he deserves some faith and a chance to overcome these bumps?

I thought Skinner looked good as a center. I also am one of those people that just plain flat out don't believe Skinner is being moved any time soon for anything. That was all started by Luke DeCock. Maybe if he struggles for another year or two, but I doubt he struggles as well. I'm not saying Skinner is a God or the next Crosby, but I will say he is one of the best young forwards this team has had and to give up on him literally right when he's no longer on an ELC is ridiculous. We aren't going to find long term success if we bail on all our drafted players the second the bumps in the road become more obvious. He's a future alternate captain and I think at some point he could crack fifty goals. Why not? He's only 21 and has a 60pt 30+ goal season (at age 18). Once again, a player plays above and beyond his expectations, so as soon as he shows some growing pains people want to trade him immediately. As 'Canes fans, don't you think he deserves some faith and a chance to overcome these bumps?

Look I agree with you on Skinner. I wouldn't trade him and in fact I think he will break out again this season. I do say if he is still here when referring to Skinner because he does seem to come up as possible trade from quite a few quarters. I don't think it will happen but you never know.

Where we disagree is you liked what you saw from him at center and I didn't. I think the kid needs to be put in a position to score and with J at center and Ruu back on wing I think he will.

If Skinner is going to be on the third line it's going to be as a wing. Lindholm is a natural center and Skinner hasn't shown that he's ready for the defensive responsibilities of being a center. I could see lines shaking out like this:

Tlusty - E. Staal - Semin

x - Jordan - Ruutu

Skinner - Lindholm - x (Dwyer?)

x - Welsh - Westgarth

I'd like JR to go after a cheap winger for the 2nd line (Kennedy would've been nice since him and Jordan had nice chemistry in Pittsburgh,) and then the fourth line left wing is dependent on camp. If Rask is ready to make the jump then I can see him centering the third with Lindholm moving over to right wing, but my gut says Rask needs a year with the Checkers before he's ready.

If Skinner comes into camp and shows he's improved his overall team game then he's going to definitely be on the 2nd line, but that's not a guarantee and we definitely need Jordan to get going offensively next season.

I think If Skinner is going to stay with Jordan Staal on the second line then a playmaker needs to be on the other wing.  Ruutu isn't that by any stretch, so I wouldn't predict that line working so well for Skinner, particularly going against top lines on most shifts.

Flyers signed Vinny, which leaves them with 500k to address their goaltending issues, so they might start shopping Meszaros. At a 4 mil cap hit if we were to get him we'd have 2.3 mil to work with for the front end and it would be a significant overhaul to the back end. We'd likely deal or buy out Joni if we were to get him though, which would leave us with just under 7 million in cap space to work with (if no salary is retained if we trade him.)

Oh how I dream.

Edited by Blinding

Just for fun, I wanted to see what a Pitkanen buyout and a Meszaros signing would look like.  Leaves only abou 4-mil in cap space while having to sign 2 more forwards.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m)
Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) / Riley Nash ($0.735m) / Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m)
Zac Dalpe ($0.735m) / Jeremy Welsh ($0.850m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Faulk ($0.900m) / Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m)
Tim Gleason ($4.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m)
Jay Harrison ($1.500m) / Ryan Murphy ($1.313m)
Brett Bellemore ($0.600m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Justin Peters ($0.538m)
OTHER
Buyout: Derek Joslin ($0.125m)
Buyout: Joni Pitkanen ($0.000m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.400% of upper limit)
Jussi Jokinen ($0.900m—0.3%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $60,795,833; BONUSES: $460,000
CAP SPACE (21-man roster): $3,964,167

Does that bottom six scare anybody?

Edited by coastal_caniac

Ah, you included Nash and Dalpe but left out Lindholm, not that it matters much cap wise. This is what I got:

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m) 
Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m) 
Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) / Elias Lindholm ($0.925m) / Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m) 
Jeremy Welsh ($0.850m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m) 
DEFENSEMEN
Andrej Meszaros ($4.000m) / Justin Faulk ($0.900m) 
Tim Gleason ($4.000m) / Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) 
Jay Harrison ($1.500m) / Ryan Murphy ($1.313m) 
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m) 
Justin Peters ($0.538m) 
OTHER
Buyout: Derek Joslin ($0.125m) 
Buyout: Joni Pitkanen ($0.000m) 
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.400% of upper limit)
Jussi Jokinen ($0.900m—0.3%) 
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $59,650,833; BONUSES: $460,000
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $5,109,167

That leaves 5 mil for the 1 forward spot and then the 7th d-man spot.

I think we can carry 10% over cap in the off-season. We could do that and look to trade, demote or salary dump before the season. If Joni isn't good to go we could get some relief there. We should know that by end of training camp if not before.

one or two bottom 6 forwards

one d

one backup goalie

something has to give.

Okay, see what you did now Blinding.

I don't think we are going to trade Pitkanen anyway, and that just takes another .5-mil off the cap space.  So, I think it's still closer to 3-mil in space vs. 4 or 5-mil we actually are going to have to work with going into FA without moving somebody. 

JR has going to have to find some bargains.  Well, that's familiar territory....sigh.

Edited by coastal_caniac

JR has going to have to find some bargains.  Well, that's familiar territory....sigh.

...so JR returns to his favorite means of finding personel...

DSCN5193.JPG

Ok, im always the eternal optimist, but if skinner plays winger, i worry about the hits and his history of concussions, that has to be looked at hard by Muller, and i think Joni is just injury prone, great whens hes healthy, like to see hIs history over last 5 years, bet, SP , could dig that up.. :)

Flyers signed Vinny, which leaves them with 500k to address their goaltending issues, so they might start shopping Meszaros. At a 4 mil cap hit if we were to get him we'd have 2.3 mil to work with for the front end and it would be a significant overhaul to the back end. We'd likely deal or buy out Joni if we were to get him though, which would leave us with just under 7 million in cap space to work with (if no salary is retained if we trade him.)

Oh how I dream. What am i missing?? Meszaros played 11 game slast year?

I'd put this in the Around the NHL thread but nobody reads it right now.  That, and the same old arguments are getting moldy.

Are the Flyers insane?  You buy out 2 guys, sign 2 guys, and don't even have a starting goalie with .5-mil of cap space left.  That garbage heap might be worth digging through SD.

Edited by coastal_caniac

@dinz: He underwent surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his left shoulder, that's why he only played 11 games last season. His career stats are impressive and he's a big body who doesn't shy away from physical contact. If we had him in 11-12, he would've led our team in hits.

@coastal, some are using the reasoning of Briere being bought out to explain the Vinny signing (younger, puts up more points at a cheaper cost,) but it still doesn't address their issues whatsoever, especially since they have four proven centers already.

Edited by Blinding