The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Okay, see what you did now Blinding.

I don't think we are going to trade Pitkanen anyway, and that just takes another .5-mil off the cap space.  So, I think it's still closer to 3-mil in space vs. 4 or 5-mil we actually are going to have to work with going into FA without moving somebody. 

JR has going to have to find some bargains.  Well, that's familiar territory....sigh.

Yup, though there's also the chance that if we hard press for Meszaros we can get the Flyers to retain some salary, like we did when we traded Jussi to the Pens. They're hard pressed for cap space now with some glaring issues that need to be fixed which should give us some leverage, granted that's if JR is interested.

As far as free agent wingers, there wasn't really anyone cheap that seemed real impressive. I'm thinking we're going to shop Joni around a bit for another top 4 d-man that can be the hitting machine we need alongside either a third or second line left wing. I just don't really see a reasonable way for us to not be close to the cap and have a win-now type of team that JR showed he wanted with the Semin signing, unless he somehow finds a diamond in the rough.

Edit: Oops, double post. :x

Edited by Blinding

We just don't have anything of value in our prospect pool we can really afford to give up and we continue giving up 1st and 2nd round picks for immediate needs, and as a result, it's driving our depth in the toilet.  We just can't plug and play at most positions.  Now we have cap issues.

This is what frustrates me about JR.

I'm blocking Capgeek for now, I can't take it.

We just don't have anything of value in our prospect pool we can really afford to give up and we continue giving up 1st and 2nd round picks for immediate needs, and as a result, it's driving our depth in the toilet.  We just can't plug and play at most positions.  Now we have cap issues.

This is what frustrates me about JR.

I'm blocking Capgeek for now, I can't take it.

I think a part of this was trying to go into rebuild mode but then backing out halfway through. It should have been we either take the plunge or we don't, and now we're in this limbo where we're close to where we want to be (a team that can consistently make the playoffs) yet seemingly far away with a prospect pool bare enough that any injuries to our core is going to have the potential of ruining us like last season. I definitely think JR is in the hot seat though, that this year either the Canes make a playoff run or he's done.

Ok, im always the eternal optimist, but if skinner plays winger, i worry about the hits and his history of concussions, that has to be looked at hard by Muller, and i think Joni is just injury prone, great whens hes healthy, like to see hIs history over last 5 years, bet, SP , could dig that up.. :)

Joni Pitkanen has played 266 games out of a total of 376 possible games played in the past five seasons. About 70%. However, since he signed his new contract in 2011, he's played 52 games out of 130 possible games played. That's 40%. We seriously should have let him walk, but of course we'll say that now, knowing what we know. 

I hope IF JR resigns him after this year, it's for dirt cheap. Otherwise, good luck with wherever you go Joni, you're too frail for us, especially considering we use you as our number 2 defenseman.

Looking at our cap situations and our addition on draft day I am starting to think that we won't be making any signings come free agency. We have our solid "bargain" top 4 blue liner. We may add a cheap 1m-1.5m power forward but past that....scoring will need to be relied on from our checkers....

Pitkanaen, needs to go. There is no 2 ways about it.  While Im at it, Peters, Larose, Westgarth, Bergeron, Boychuk, and a few others have to go. Now I know some of these guys are going to be UFAs but I have a lingering feeling they will crawl back and well sign them again. Im getting pretty tired of loving a team that at times seems to try to piss off its core fans. Cam Ward goes down and our world falls apart, injuries should not destory seasons like the one we were having.  We need to start fixing holes in this boat and stop patching them. Peters is not a solid backup, there are alot of names in the FA goaliue market that can prob be had on the cheap. Our bottom 6 with the exception of a few is a trainwreck. Our Defense is a joke still even after our trade. Heres what will happen well start off strong, Pitkanen will come out of the gate decent and then oh hes injured or he starts to play lazy. We need to get rid of him. As much as I hate to say it our CHX are also a joke. I look at some teams around the league and there depth is insane. The Bruins were plauged with injuries in the playoffs and finals no less and although they lost they went down swinging. Players playing with all sorts of inujuries guys skating with broken legs thats hockey! They had players (Krug) and others that got plugged into a spot and it worked, thats depth. Not the constant call up send down crap we pull here. This team is frail and Skinner is one hit away from being the next Eric Lindros. We need size and people who hit. Ive been a fan since The Hartford Whalers and I am just sick of subpar hockey, we all spend money supporting this team , weather it be tickets a jersey the NHL package in my case we rally to get behind them every step of the way, then it gets announced that ticket prices raise after an awful season dosent affect me but its the nerve of it. When will this organization put a product on the ice that is worth watching? Every major player to be traded in recent years has a "short list" of teams hes willing to go to, and guess who is never on it? Us, why? because we would rather recycle players and dig through the bowels of waivers and FA to get our guys, that and we are not a big market team. Sorry to vent but this year better be better at least make the playoffs.

Pitkanaen, needs to go. There is no 2 ways about it.  While Im at it, Peters, Larose, Westgarth, Bergeron, Boychuk, and a few others have to go. Now I know some of these guys are going to be UFAs but I have a lingering feeling they will crawl back and well sign them again. Im getting pretty tired of loving a team that at times seems to try to piss off its core fans. Cam Ward goes down and our world falls apart, injuries should not destory seasons like the one we were having.  We need to start fixing holes in this boat and stop patching them. Peters is not a solid backup, there are alot of names in the FA goaliue market that can prob be had on the cheap. Our bottom 6 with the exception of a few is a trainwreck. Our Defense is a joke still even after our trade. Heres what will happen well start off strong, Pitkanen will come out of the gate decent and then oh hes injured or he starts to play lazy. We need to get rid of him. As much as I hate to say it our CHX are also a joke. I look at some teams around the league and there depth is insane. The Bruins were plauged with injuries in the playoffs and finals no less and although they lost they went down swinging. Players playing with all sorts of inujuries guys skating with broken legs thats hockey! They had players (Krug) and others that got plugged into a spot and it worked, thats depth. Not the constant call up send down crap we pull here. This team is frail and Skinner is one hit away from being the next Eric Lindros. We need size and people who hit. Ive been a fan since The Hartford Whalers and I am just sick of subpar hockey, we all spend money supporting this team , weather it be tickets a jersey the NHL package in my case we rally to get behind them every step of the way, then it gets announced that ticket prices raise after an awful season dosent affect me but its the nerve of it. When will this organization put a product on the ice that is worth watching? Every major player to be traded in recent years has a "short list" of teams hes willing to go to, and guess who is never on it? Us, why? because we would rather recycle players and dig through the bowels of waivers and FA to get our guys, that and we are not a big market team. Sorry to vent but this year better be better at least make the playoffs.

I still feel Pits is our best D man. Faulk is on the rise. If I am going to point the finger at anyone for not performing it's Gleason. I see nowhere that you mention his name. While I share your frustrations and agree with a lot of things that were said some things are different now.

Those things are Semin and Jordan STaal. We have never EVER EVER EVER EVER had a team with this quality forwards. I was caught by surprised when we locked up Semin long-term but couldn't be happier. I'm all for axing: Dwyer, Nash, Boychuck, Dalpe, Westgarth, and Bowman. I would buy them out/put them on waivers and then sign BIG bodies that know how to check and skate. It can't really be that hard.

What has hurt us is drafting all these freaking small/skilled forwards year after year. KNow why our defense sucks? It's because of that and other teams getting a light skate work out when playing against us.

Okay...here comes my every once in awhile we need to settle down here kids post.  Defensively we are in WAY better shape right now just in terms of addition by subtraction, and some addition.  Sekera is going to be a major upgrade for us; granted we won't be saying "wow did you see that great shot" or "wow his a beast hitting people out there" BUT we also won't be saying "what the heck is that guy DOING out there???".  He is a steady presence that will be positionally sound and do the little things we need...that's a HUGE upgrade.  Gleason spent last year on a busted foot...kinda tough to skate with one of those.  He will be healthy this year and we will be way better for it.  We also have proven depth with Jordan, Bellemore, and Kreuger..  In addition, Danny Biega is a pretty good player and it will be interesting to see what he does. 

As far as Pitkanen goes, IF we can get a top 4 guy or a 3rd line wing and at a fair cap hit, sure it's worth a look; however, we will need a guy like Ference or Scuderi to fill the void that Pits leaves. 

A lot will be answered after the rookie camp and the team can get an idea if Lindholm is ready for prime-time, after that, decisions can be made relative to depth and positional needs going into the season. 

Everything is speculation and opinion until we see guys skating on the ice and see how they preform, is he an upgrade? On paper sure but in actual theory its impossible for us to know. He could not mesh well he could fire it up but as it stands the one thing that is a known aspect of this team is its past, and given that we need to change patterns of poor decision making and picking up dusty, over the hill, rusty out of shape or Wavier guys. I wouldent say Sekera is on my hotlist of D men I would have been burning to acquire and he had no mentions on this forum what so ever until recently.  I hope the play is up to the hype he is getting on here time will tell. Am I a professional GM no not by a very long shot but I and everyone on this forum has a brain and can tell and have often sounded off on the questionable decisions in the past. We are the reasons these guys have jobs both players and staff with out fans there is no market, with no market there is no hockey, so our continued support is crucial to a successful hockey team, putting a half *edit* team on the ice year and year out is almost insulting to our intelligences. This past year is the first time in as long as I can remember where we actually made a splash, a splash that ened with us playing politics and over paying someone for their last name...Regardless I like our top 6 alot it is what it is. I started watching Hartford when I was 11, 27 now thats about 16 years. It went on in Hartford and still goes on to this day, except in NC the fans actually go to support the team, Hartford has some of the most die hard fans and still has a booster club of like 500 members for whatever reason but people stopped showing up because of stuff like this. Who wanted to go watch the Whalers get blown out by just about anyone...I still went but it was far from packed in there. I guess the point is changes need to happen. This is Professional Hockey this is not the AHL this is not an EU team this is the NHL, there are no excuses after a certain point at this level, injuries, no camps blah blah blah people would kill to make half of what these guys make a year for some of them to just call it in its crazy. This is an Elite league and we need an Elite attitude, staff and players to back that up. We have alot of that but need to cut loses and start getting serious about winning.  I get rebuilding but what the hell stage are we at?? All I have to say is Brendan Shanahan in Hartford...how did that go? thats where were headed unless things change.

I need help! I am thoroughly confused about our Salary Cap situation, and wonder if someone with more financial accumen could help? I've seen at least a half dozen posters, whom I respect, address this subject, and to the best of my understanding, I've gotten about a half dozen different figures.

Is the situation so "fluid" that we really are unable to get an exact figure? Is it such a moving target, that one never knows until the final roster is decided? I realize that with the decreasing Cap this year, this is the primary factor which has put us into this rare position, but how have many other teams avoided a similar fate? Particularly since we were no where near the Cap last year.

I suppose my main question is, Do we have any space to sign anyone of any significance, or must we bargain basement hunt, or is that even prohibitive? Do we prey for a trade? Of whom? Or ultimately, do I stop perusing this and all other web sites fanatically dreaming about the one "big acquisition" or for that much, a few small or do i shut down and wait for training camp? Please clarifyfor this Cajun!!

Well Kajun it can all be very confusing.  We aren't the only team struggling with cap issues this season. I think we could make another move(s)  to add another D-man, Backup goalie and one or two bottom 6 players. Except for the D-man I wouldn't expect they will come with hefty contracts. But that is anybodies guess.

Complicating the issue as I see it is we are not only wrestling to stay under the cap but we generally have a self imposed salary limit. So we can add players but may require a salary dump or trade to stay within our limitations

Most of us are just playing what if right now. But we do have both cap room and possible trades to play with.

K

I need help! I am thoroughly confused about our Salary Cap situation, and wonder if someone with more financial accumen could help? I've seen at least a half dozen posters, whom I respect, address this subject, and to the best of my understanding, I've gotten about a half dozen different figures.

Is the situation so "fluid" that we really are unable to get an exact figure? Is it such a moving target, that one never knows until the final roster is decided? I realize that with the decreasing Cap this year, this is the primary factor which has put us into this rare position, but how have many other teams avoided a similar fate? Particularly since we were no where near the Cap last year.

I suppose my main question is, Do we have any space to sign anyone of any significance, or must we bargain basement hunt, or is that even prohibitive? Do we prey for a trade? Of whom? Or ultimately, do I stop perusing this and all other web sites fanatically dreaming about the one "big acquisition" or for that much, a few small or do i shut down and wait for training camp? Please clarifyfor this Cajun!!

It is a fluid situation to try and calculate where we are with the cap right now because we are all just guessing about the lineup.  But, it is fairly easy to calculate where we are right now with the players we have signed.  You can also do that yourself here: http://capgeek.com/hurricanes/cap-calculator/

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)
Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m)
Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) / Jeremy Welsh ($0.850m) / Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)
DEFENSEMEN
Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Jay Harrison ($1.500m)
Justin Faulk ($0.900m) /
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Justin Peters ($0.538m)
OTHER
Buyout: Derek Joslin ($0.125m)
RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.400% of upper limit)
Jussi Jokinen ($0.900m—0.3%)
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,912,500; BONUSES: $10,000
CAP SPACE (17-man roster): $6,397,500

At this time, we have 6.3 million to sign at least 2 forwards and a defenseman to put a team on the ice, or 4 forwards and 2 defenseman to fill out a 23-man roster, assuming Peters is the backup goalie.  I did not include Elias Lindholm (unsigned) or Ryan Murphy (ELC) because who knows if they make the team.

You can plug and play yourself as something peaks your interest.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Ok then. What are we doing.

That's..... interesting.

Since JR doesn't need to wait until free agency starts to announce re-signing RFAs, a waiver pick up, buy-out or a trade, it can only be about UFAs.

Unless I'm mistaking, up until noon Friday, he can only negotiate with our own pending UFAs (Brent, Ellis, Corvo and LaRose) or players that were bought out already, so it would have to be a completed deal already.

Maybe he's announcing that Rosey has come crawling back and re-upped for 4 years at 500K.

That wouldn't garner a Press Conference :P. I think either we somehow swayed a big name free agent to come our way, we have a fairly large trade in the wings, or somehow JR and the Organization convinced Lindholm he's NHL ready and got Brynas to terminate the contract so he can sign with us. Granted, I have no idea the specific details on Lindholm's contract with Brynas.

I'm dreaming it's Horton, no matter how unrealistic that is. Maybe we are signing one of the buy-outs. Briere? Doubt it. Komisarek or Schultz? DiPietro or Bryzgalov? They all meet a specific need. Secondary scoring bottom 6 forward, Big defensive defensemen, decent back up goalies (maybe not Dipietro..  :coverears: )

Then again, can't they simply announce a Bought Out player signing before July 5th? Like Vinny and Philly?

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Agree...gotta be Lindholm.  Wonder if he sticks around here for a couple weeks or heads back home before the prospect camp. 

4.5 mil a year for Vinny sets a reasonable bar for a lot of players out there. 

Alex Elder being shopped by Vancouver...Maybe Pits for a reasonable 3rd/4th line guy and a pick and then grab Elder who is under contract at 3.25 mil/year. 

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/news/van130703.html

Not impossible, but would largely ride on Edler wanting to play here as his NTC has kicked in now.

Also, here's a link to an article explaining how, in a way, the Free Agency started at midnight last night. And how we potentially could be announcing a UFA signing they hashed out since last night. Still leaning towards Lindholm but you never know, do ya?

Can really help markets like us, who may not be able to throw ludicrous amounts of money at people to sign here, and instead explain everything from our system to the role a potential signee would play here, etc. and convince guys to sign here not necessarily for the money, but for success on the ice and potentially heightened roles. 

Edited by SuckaPunchd

By 2pm on Friday...JR will announce that the Canes took their best shot on a top FA and missed...next he will be shopping at the Thrift Shop for some bargans! 

JR's gonna pop some tags
Only got twenty dollars in my pocket
I - I - I'm hunting, looking for a come-up
This is fracking awesome!

:facepalm2: