The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

So the media event on Friday is routine. Maybe we will get to hear something new.

LeBrun tweeted unconfirmed but believed Horton visited Columbus today.

I assumed the conference was an announcement. :[

And that article is nice, but some comparisons along with assumptions that players like Mark Fraser are bad defensemen make me iffy on it. Not to mention they don't really take into account their pairing partners.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

I'm still holding out for some kind of news Friday. FA have been able to meet with teams this year. They can't make a deal until Friday but I guess they could have a discussion about what it would take, etc,

Just because the 2pm press conference is a "routine" conference doesn't mean the team doesn't have anything in mind for FA. I'm more than positive they have a list of guys they are targeting and will pursue them throughout the week/weekend. I expect to hear a lot of the same generalized statements from JR (unless he makes a signing beforehand).

As stated above, teams are able to "court" players and begin negotiations. They could even reach agreements.  Friday is just the earliest a player can sign an official contract. It's been a slow news day across the entire league so don't get bummed out that we haven't heard any names of interest quite yet. The rumors will start rolling around tomorrow in anticipation for Friday.

With that said, I wouldn't expect anything huge.  I expect JR to be bargain shopping. Which isn't necessarily a bad thing. We have plenty of talent at the top. Adding some solid depth is what this team needs. 

Edited by TheFaulker

I'm still holding out for some kind of news Friday. FA have been able to meet with teams this year. They can't make a deal until Friday but I guess they could have a discussion about what it would take, etc,

Me too, until LeBrun said Horton was in the "non-traditional" market of Columbus, instead of Raleigh, today! I know he's to expensive for the Canes but .... If he came here, Skinner would be the 3rd line center for sure, IMO....love to see Jeff with 20 goals and 45 assists next year.

Me too, until LeBrun said Horton was in the "non-traditional" market of Columbus, instead of Raleigh, today! I know he's to expensive for the Canes but .... If he came here, Skinner would be the 3rd line center for sure, IMO....love to see Jeff with 20 goals and 45 assists next year.

Well maybe Horton will spend the 4th in Raleigh. We are known for our world renowned Barbeque! :) 

Well maybe Horton will spend the 4th in Raleigh. We are known for our world renowned Barbeque! :)

OBX, wouldn't that be nice if JR invited him down for great BBQ!!!!

Edited by Bill_B

FORWARDS

Jiri Tlusty ($1.600m) / Eric Staal ($8.250m) / Alexander Semin ($7.000m)

Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m)

Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) / Jeremy Welsh ($0.850m) / Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m)

Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)

DEFENSEMEN

Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)

Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Jay Harrison ($1.500m)

Justin Faulk ($0.900m) /

GOALTENDERS

Cam Ward ($6.300m)

Justin Peters ($0.538m)

OTHER

Buyout: Derek Joslin ($0.125m)

RETAINED SALARY TRANSACTIONS (1.400% of upper limit)

Jussi Jokinen ($0.900m—0.3%)

------

(these totals are compiled with the bonus cushion)

SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $57,912,500; BONUSES: $10,000

CAP SPACE (17-man roster): $6,397,500

At this time, we have 6.3 million to sign at least 2 forwards and a defenseman to put a team on the ice, or 4 forwards and 2 defenseman to fill out a 23-man roster, assuming Peters is the backup goalie.  I did not include Elias Lindholm (unsigned) or Ryan Murphy (ELC) because who knows if they make the team.

My guess is JR will go with 20 players and keeps the Checker bus running. $6.3m isn't a lot to bring in any stud Dman and another 2-5 halfway decent players, if JR is even allowed to go to the Cap.  

Out of our UFAs, Ellis already refused a low-ball offer so it looks like Peters will ride the bench and I'm sure JR is not gonna make generous offers to Rosey, Brent, Bergeron or Corvo. Though I imagine one or two of them could come back depending on which of our RFAs get one-way contracts.

If Murphy makes the team that's about another $1.3m closer to the cap and with Bellemore who I think has a chance as a #7, JR only has a little more than $4m to play with to get that big, good shut down guy and two more forwards.

I don't see that happening. JR could work a trade to get a status quo replacement for less money but considering JRs record, how likely is that going to happen?

Using last year as the measuring stick, Lindholm's cap hit will be around 1.6m if he makes the team

We'll probably see Bellemore on the 3rd line D line.  Welsh will move to the 4th line guy.  So we need one shutdown O

guy to complete the roster. 

FORWARDS
UFA / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m)

Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m) / Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / E. Lindholm ($1.600m)
Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m) / Jeremy Welsh ($0.850m) / Jared Staal ($0.750m)
DEFENSEMEN
Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Jay Harrison ($1.500m)
Justin Faulk ($0.900m) / Bellemore ($0.600m)
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Justin Peters ($0.538m)
OTHER
------
SALARY CAP USED: $60,263,000;
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $4,037,000

I say a Stalberg signing at 2-2.25 mil at 4 years.  or maybe a 2 mil for 3 years and 4th year at 3 mil (still 9 mil, it gives him more once the Ruutu contract falls off and we can afford more).  He isn't a 2nd line guy but out 2nd line will be a line going against the top line every night and will be used more as a prototypical 3rd line.  Unfortunately the D doesn't gets fixed if we can move Pits as part of a deal or the unfortunate trading of Skinner  or Ruutu has to happen. 

If the cap hit sucks now, the team is going to suck when Faulk's and Tlusty's contract need to be re-upped next season.  Granted, Faulk's contract will probably replace the money of Pits but where Tlusty's money going to come from?

Edited by gocanes0506

My guess is JR will go with 20 players and keeps the Checker bus running. $6.3m isn't a lot to bring in any stud Dman and another 2-5 halfway decent players, if JR is even allowed to go to the Cap.  ....

If Murphy makes the team that's about another $1.3m closer to the cap and with Bellemore who I think has a chance as a #7, JR only has a little more than $4m to play with to get that big, good shut down guy and two more forwards.....

I really hope the plan is get a top 4 defender, have Murphy and Bellemore in Charlotte and ready for the inevitable injury call up.  Then go with Faulk/Gleason, NewGuy/Sekera, Harrison/Joni.  Six defenders, that's it. 

I think it's more likely we go Faulk\Pitkanen, Sekara\Gleason, and Harrison\New Guy.  Pitkanen eats way too many minutes to be on a bottom pairing with Harrison and Gleason will likely struggle with anything over 19-20 minutes.  Just a hunch.

LeBrun tweeted unconfirmed but believed Horton visited Columbus today.

Confirmed by a local CBJ reporter here. I actually hung out with Horton a bit.

...ok maybe not but still interesting he was in c-bus.

Confirmed by a local CBJ reporter here. I actually hung out with Horton a bit.

...ok maybe not but still interesting he was in c-bus.

If he indeed wants a non-traditional market, Carolina is one of the best in that category. JR please talk to him, I don't care if it puts you in a bind, that's what the rest of the offseason is for :D

Just kidding, don't ruin the roster. But I like Horton. The only thing is his injury proneness.

OK cap guys.

We need:

1. Third line physical player that can play some offense, maybe 15 goals, 20-25 assists.

2. Back up goalie not named Peters.

3. One more NHL defender. Ideally a really good one, but right now one who can at least provide depth.

Which of these can we afford? Which is most essential?

Agreed, backup. If we have a quality backup goalie, we wouldn't have to ride Ward the entire season. And we wouldn't have a repeat of 09 when he carried us to the ECF and then ran out of gas.

Not to mention I consider goaltenders to be a part of the defense, so getting a good backup goalie is adding to our defense IMO.

OK cap guys.

We need:

1. Third line physical player that can play some offense, maybe 15 goals, 20-25 assists.

3. One more NHL defender. Ideally a really good one, but right now one who can at least provide depth.

Forward:  Viktor Stalberg

D man: Murray or Ference

G: Garon, Mason, Khabi, Boucher?

OK cap guys.

We need:

Need vs Want, We may "want" 1 and/or 2 but IMO we "need" #3. Depending on JR's motivation, he could move Harrison and use his Salary plus another 2-2.5 mill to use on a good (2nd or 3rd) d-man or keep Harry with his salary and use the 2-2.5mil on a 4th or 5th d-man.

Just an aside on #1, Caps UFA Matt Hendricks would be cheap alternative (~$1M give or take a little) but probably for the 4th line.

Don't focus in on the names, pay more attention to cap hits based on the listed needs, cause I think that's what Rem is asking.  My attempt at throwing some cap hit numbers around to plug holes just to get an idea of how tough it's going to be to fill all 3 of those needs while fielding at least a 20-player roster.

CAPGEEK.COM USER GENERATED ROSTER
My Custom Lineup
FORWARDS
Jeff Skinner ($5.725m) / Jordan Staal ($6.000m) / Tuomo Ruutu ($4.750m)
Patrick Dwyer ($0.900m) / Jeremy Welsh ($0.850m) / David Clarkson ($2.667m)
Drayson Bowman ($0.600m) / Kevin Westgarth ($0.725m)
DEFENSEMEN
Justin Faulk ($0.900m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m)
Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)
Jay Harrison ($1.500m) / Ryan O'Byrne ($1.800m)
GOALTENDERS
Cam Ward ($6.300m)
Ray Emery ($1.150m)
OTHER
------
CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS (follow @capgeek on Twitter)
SALARY CAP: $64,300,000; CAP PAYROLL: $62,991,667; BONUSES: $10,000
CAP SPACE (19-man roster): $1,318,333

Edited by coastal_caniac

DEFENSEMEN

Justin Faulk ($0.900m) / Joni Pitkanen ($4.500m)

Andrej Sekera ($2.750m) / Tim Gleason ($4.000m)

Jay Harrison ($1.500m) / Ryan O'Byrne ($1.800m)

This would be actually quite nice especially if Joni comes back and plays well.

Love the idea of Clarkson, but think NJ will resign him... Like Emery has backup, didnt know he could come that cheap..

We just don't have anything of value in our prospect pool we can really afford to give up and we continue giving up 1st and 2nd round picks for immediate needs, and as a result, it's driving our depth in the toilet.  We just can't plug and play at most positions.  Now we have cap issues.

This is what frustrates me about JR.

I'm blocking Capgeek for now, I can't take it.

This is something that has been bothering me for a while. JR keeps putting band aids on a patient in critical condition. Name one player in Charlotte that is really ready for prime time. McBain and Faulk were both rushed to the NHL because of a lack of depth. What forward other than Rask do we have any hope for? Look at anything that ranks the quality of players in the system, and you'll find the Canes ranked very close to the bottom.