The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Oh, bother.

My point was to put a couple of guys in the lineup and look at the cap hits based on the needs Rem listed.  It's not about the individual player and his circumstance, it's more to get an idea of the type of player we need, what it costs in terms of the cap, and how we can possibly do that with limited dollars to the cap. 

Oh, and we have the 5th least cap space in the league, behind the Flyers, Sharks, Pens, and Bruins.

Rem, you see where I'm going with this.

You still need to be realistic with the players you use as an example.  Otherwise it's pointless to list a player.

With that said, I agree that spending around 2.6mil on a 3rd liner is our goal but will be tough to do.

Edited by TheFaulker

I have been looking at the numbers for a while on cap geek and it's depressing. Just adding in Lindholm and Murphy (just sayin') on entry level deals gets close to the edge.

You still need to be realistic with the players you use as an example.  Otherwise it's pointless to list a player.

With that said, I agree that spending around 2.6mil on a 3rd liner is our goal but will be tough to do.

Couldn't agree more Faulker, so turning this around, if O'Byrne and Emery are realistic  then there's not much there to improve the bottom six, right?

Couldn't agree more Faulker, so turning this around, if O'Byrne and Emery are realistic  then there's not much there to improve the bottom six, right?

That would be correct.

We are in a tight spot which is your overall point.

A trade would be ideal but I really don't know who we could move.

So, with that said, I really like the idea of a good fit veteran for the third line first, explore goalie options next, and hopefully move out enough salary to add a depth defenseman to take some pressure off of Murphy to be a necessity rather than an asset for recall.

Edited by coastal_caniac

All this cap talk got me thinking about what was the benefit of the lockout. The owners were successful in rolling back the cap, but the dollars on the top end contracts have not been affected. The GM's still continue to paint themselves into a corner with the big dollar deals.

All this cap talk got me thinking about what was the benefit of the lockout. The owners were successful in rolling back the cap, but the dollars on the top end contracts have not been affected. The GM's still continue to paint themselves into a corner with the big dollar deals.

It is always funny how owners complain about contracts in the NHL.  Yet, their GMs are the one driving up contracts giving a player way more money than he should ever get because he is the one guy they want.  The 2nd order effect is driving up the contract for the next guy that is similar in skill.  And of course that drives up the contract for a guy better than both of them.  They complain about it yet they are the ones who start it.

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1692304-power-ranking-the-farm-systems-of-all-30-nhl-teams/page/3

Losing all comes down to this. Is Sutter the last forward that we legitimatley developed? I really don't count on 1st round picks. Seriously though, who has gone through the farm system? Harrison? Faulk? Is that it?

Harrison was a free agent, late bloomer. Not developed in the system.

Just look at the Canes roster for significant players drafted and "developed" by the Canes. EStaal, Skinner, Ward, Faulk, and...crickets. Now, look at farm system and think of who is ready (maybe) to make the leap. Rask and...crickets. We are hoping that Murphy and Lindholm can bypass Charlotte and jump in, but that's a big jump. Of all the guys mentioned, the lowest draft selection is Rask taken at 42nd overall. That speaks volumes to me about the quality of scouting and development the Canes have.

I think it's more likely we go Faulk\Pitkanen, Sekara\Gleason, and Harrison\New Guy.  Pitkanen eats way too many minutes to be on a bottom pairing with Harrison and Gleason will likely struggle with anything over 19-20 minutes.  Just a hunch.

I'd really prefer some combination of Gleason, Faulk, Sekera and New Guy as Top 4 and not Joni.  I understand he logs the minutes, but IMO time for a change.

Put Joni in bottom 6 and if he doesn't deliver under Muller he gets moved at trade deadline or minutes get cut further as Bellemore or Murphy show what they offer in Charlotte.  Fix the problem and without Joni being a key part of the fixing.  With Cap issues we can't afford him next year anyway.  If he proves my opinion wrong, or the New Guy disappoints, then he moves up to top 4.

Also, Harrison is the right partner (mentor) for either Bellemore or Murphy.  Less disruptive if they substitute there instead of Top 4.

Edited by Manwolf

http://m.bleacherreport.com/articles/1692304-power-ranking-the-farm-systems-of-all-30-nhl-teams/page/3

Losing all comes down to this. Is Sutter the last forward that we legitimatley developed? I really don't count on 1st round picks. Seriously though, who has gone through the farm system? Harrison? Faulk? Is that it?

Eric, Cam and LaRose  played a full season in the AHL due to the 04-05 lockout. In Eric's case you could argue that the lockout was the only reason for him being there but nonetheless, I'm sure it helped all three of them significantly considering they played major parts in winning the Cup the following year.

Bowman and Dalpe are on the cusp to make an impact but I wouldn't consider them high-end like Murphy, Lindholm and Rask who are still waiting to make an impact. 

Once again, PK needs to wake up and/or grow a pair and replace JR with Mark Howe!

Howe is currently (and has been for a while), a Director of Scouting with the Red Wings.

Not to mention he's been in their front office for over 15-years, maybe 20 by now!

Howe himself is perhaps the 2-3rd most versatile hockey player ever (stud forward and all star d-man),

but more importantly he'll bring us a true  "winning culture" - how many years now have the Red Wings made the playoffs? 20-22 something sick like that.

Behind the scenes, Howe has developed the Red Wings team and played a huge role in its success.

On top of all that, Mark has a PROVEN record of developing young D-man, something JR, Glen and company can't claim! 

I'd love to see PK make him a HUGE offer and get him here as our new GM (and head of scouting).

I bet we could get him for the right money, as NC is closer to his NJ family too.

Instead, we're stuck with JR. We need new blood.  

JR, Ronnie and T.MacDonald have had their chance.

Just came across an article by Matt Karash @Hockeybuzz which encapsulates the agony that surrounds the team this year. Although several of you have elaborated on the cap situation faced by the Canes this season, and I thank you for that, when one reduces down the bottom line to the obvious, it really clicks.

Not to steal Matt's thunder, but I thought I'd post here what i took away from his analysis, and give credit where credit is due.

Simply put roughly 30 % of our players account for 59% of allowable cap this year!! Of course, I believe that the "top heavy" situation that stymies balancing out the remainder of our roster, I'll not lay totally at Jim Rutherford's feet, because I think that as a perennial  'bottom salary team", we've hit the perfect storm so to speak. By this, I mean that we've experienced A rare cap reduction(correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think that's ever happened), at a time that we've just had 3 players with uncharacteristically large salary outlays.Now some on here will blame JR for poor salary management, but in my opinion, I believe that there's no way that our GM could have forseen this anomolous situation..

The other part of this unfortunate predicament, I also believe is due to our small market status, and having to pay proportunately larger sums of money to attract the better players to a place they may see as less desirable than the "bright light markets".

Then too, you have the urgency to get into the playoffs after so many frustrating seasons of golfing in April. JR simply must secure a playoff spot this season, or ride off into the sunset.

IMHO, these are the reasons that we are experiencing a real anomoly this year, and are in such a salary crunch. Unlike a few of you, tho, I think that there is light at the end of this tunnel, in that I believe revenues will again take off this year, and the cap will rebound, easing up on the financial burdens next year.

Below is a link from bleacher report stating that we should jump on Andrew Ference from Boston:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1692930-nhl-free-agency-2013-stock-up-stock-down-for-all-the-top-available-players#/articles/1692486-one-perfect-fit-for-every-nhl-team-in-2013-free-agency/page/6

Andrew Ference was a key blueliner for the Boston Bruins, and the Carolina Hurricanes should scoop him up this summer. Ference could fill a top-four or bottom-six role, and he would add a ton of stability to the team's defense.

The Hurricanes recently added Andrej Sekera, but they still only have five blueliners signed through next season. Ference would close the gap on the depth chart, and he would bring valuable Stanley Cup experience.

Below is a link from bleacher report stating that we should jump on Andrew Ference from Boston:

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1692930-nhl-free-agency-2013-stock-up-stock-down-for-all-the-top-available-players#/articles/1692486-one-perfect-fit-for-every-nhl-team-in-2013-free-agency/page/6

Andrew Ference was a key blueliner for the Boston Bruins, and the Carolina Hurricanes should scoop him up this summer. Ference could fill a top-four or bottom-six role, and he would add a ton of stability to the team's defense.

The Hurricanes recently added Andrej Sekera, but they still only have five blueliners signed through next season. Ference would close the gap on the depth chart, and he would bring valuable Stanley Cup experience.

Ference would be a great addition but he is getting a lot of media attention, meaning he could get more money in his contract.  He would be that older guy that could be great for the locker room.  How does the organization feel about Murphy? If Murphy is nhl ready in the next 2 seasons then an older Ference would be the answer.  If Harrison or Murphy don't quite pan out then a younger like O'Byrne may be the answer. Being younger we could bring him in for 4 seasons and he is getting a lot less media coverage (if any).

Can we afford Ference? Cause if we can that could do it.

Adding two solid reliable if not spectacular dmen in place of McBain and Corvo really would make a BIG difference. Also having depth on d, knowing we could call up Bellemore and Murphy for injuries. 

Faulk, Gleason, Pitts, Ference, Sekera, Harrison. Nothing Earth shattering, but pretty solid. And after last year, solid is a big upgrade

This would also allow us to bring Murphy along slowly. He can be the 7th guy at times, he can be a call up if needed. The first dman call up ends up seeing plenty of games. 

Still leaves questions on line 3, but JR should be able to find someone on the trash heap for that if needed.

I really like our offense to be very good next year as J, Skinner, and Ruutu all increase their contributions. Maybe Lindholm too.

Seriously though, who has gone through the farm system? Harrison? Faulk? Is that it?

Good question.   Topic for another thread?  Don't know how the Wings manage to pull things off but how do they get a 20+ year playoff streak?  It isn't luck.  Given the Whale/Canes playoff record over the past 20 something years something isn't working.