The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

There's a big trade brewing between Boston and Dallas, basis being Seguin for Eriksson. Rumor is five players are involved. Per Dreger, TSN

Also, Mikhail Grabovski was bought out by Toronto today. Wonder how cheap he'd be, big third line center capable of 50 points, 20 - 25 goals.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Also, Mikhail Grabovski was bought out by Toronto today. Wonder how cheap he'd be, big third line center capable of 50 points, 20 - 25 goals.

doesn't JR like to use Leaf retreads?

Arctic Ice Hockey ‏@arcticicehockey 2h
Grabovski has scored more goals than Kopitar, Richards, Duchene, Datsyuk, Lecavalier, Berglund, Bergeron, Seguin, Eberle over last 3 yrs.

Dallas is wising up and instead of acquiring all the aging stars in the league, they're getting some real promising youth. I bet Seguin starts shining now in a more offensive system.

I would've like Rich Peverley, third line to fourth line center, excels in that role as well. I wonder if Erik Cole moving went from possibility to priority with all that salary coming in.

I have a feeling Skinner is going to be traded for a big package.

I've been against it and I still am, I guess.  I just think JR is going to finally get an offer he can't turn down.

Edited by TheFaulker

Good question.   Topic for another thread?  Don't know how the Wings manage to pull things off but how do they get a 20+ year playoff streak?  It isn't luck.  Given the Whale/Canes playoff record over the past 20 something years something isn't working.

Thank you. Now see my prior post about Mark Howe please!

Viktor Stalberg should be a cheaper FA.  He would be a very solid option for the 3rd line.

Really hope we go after him.

Isn't he a Swede too? Would like being in an organization with the likes of Lindholm, Rask, and Karlsson.

I have a feel Skinner is going to be traded for a big package.

I've been against it and I still am, I guess.  I just think JR is going to finally get an offer he can't turn down.

He has forced himself into (unfortunately).  With Faulk and Tlusty contract ending next season cap space has to come from some where.  Faulk's will come from Pits contract leaving. Don't really have a place where Tlusty's to come from, unless the cap rises more than 4 mil next season (even if we could afford a salary that high).

Well I think the partner will be Toronto.  They seem to be the only one moving a top D man.

I think something like

Phaneuf, Reilly, and the rights to Colborne.

for

Skinner and Pits

Phaneuf gives us our top D man (only signed for one more year), Reilly is a top D prospect this is a great addition for the long term, and Colborne is a C spec with some experience that needs to be signed (big guy at 6'5).  We lose a lot in terms of offense but gain a lot of injury free D time.  We would be hoping Colborne continues progress and can step in to be our 3rd line center.  We lose 4 mil in cap and should have enough money to sign guys like Stalberg and Ference/O'Byrne while maintaining enough cap space to keep Faulk and Tlusty long term.

Skinner gives them a great winger that is signed for a long time. Pits gives them a one year D man who can eat time like Phaneuf. 

Toronto will gain 4 mil in cap but they will still have 19 mil to re-sign Bernier, Kadri, and any other their RFAs. 

Edited by gocanes0506

Leafs are going to buy out Mikhail Grabovski.  Maybe a piece for the 3rd line?

His offensive potential is inconsistant, but he did score 29 in 2010 and 23 in 2011.

At the right number I'd give him a look.

There could be a bidding war for Grabovski.

We need to scoop in and get Stalberg early while everyone else is after the upper-tier FAs.

Edited by TheFaulker

Tlusty - E Staal - Semin

Skinner - J Staal - Ruutu

Dwyer - Lindholm - Stalberg

Blanchard (??) - Nash - Westgarth

Gleason - Faulk

Pitkanen - Sekera

Harrison - Murphy

Bellemore

Not sure who realistic option are for another dman but it'd be nice to add one so we don't have to rush Murhpy in the lineup. 

Edited by TheFaulker

We'll I did find even more today, so as promised, here's the updated list of excuses/reasons the board has come up with so

far to defend Jordan...  (again, just for fun,  I'll add to it as new ones pop in).

He only played 1/2 season.

He did not have camp.

He just got married.

He moved to a new city.

He had to settle in over the summer.

He had major house hunting pressure picking out the best 2-mil house in N.Ral.

He wasn't playing as hard since he just got his big money.

He faced the pressure of wearing the "A"

His linemates had injuries.

Our 3rd line did not score much.

He did not have the same line to work with all season.

He's "only" 24.

He was playing on a far less consistent team than he has in the past. 

He had to play with "unreliable" Jeff Skinner and "offensively challenged" Pat Dwyer. 

He was suffering from an ingrown toenail 

He'll have good and bad years, last was just a bad one.

He will step it up this year (with the right guys).

So much wrong happened, can't be overly critical on any single player. 

People get blinded by +/- (when evaluating J).

He just had bad luck last year.