The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

The more I think about the Rosey situation, the more I think some things were said behind the scenes that lead to Rosey skipping the interview.  Frankly, I think Rosey is a down-to-earth, humble guy who takes great pride in playing a game he truly loves (at least that's the impression I got from talking with his father last year at the Joe), so him just arbitrarily skipping his exit interview strikes me as really odd.  I wonder if JR or someone else in the org said or did something underhanded to him that lead to this...

Something doesn't seem right here.

Raffi Torres, exact same reasons as Clarkson

Matt Cooke, for obvious reasons.  He's not the top enforcer on my list, but he does fill a void.  Most people didn't like Allen before he became a cane, just saying.

Not only "hell no," but add on an "are you kidding?"  This is a hockey team, not a cheap-shot goon squad!

If either of them is on this team next season, I would literally buy a jersey with their number on it...and instead of their last name, I would put either "YOU SUCK" or "Cheap Shot Artist" on the back.

Edited by AWACSooner

It's really hard to predict how a center will adjust to playing the wing. I have not been able to find anything on Rask playing wing. I think that Skinner looked so much better playing at his natural center position. He is not the most defensively gifted or largest center so he would need to be paired with wings that compliment his skill set and stature. Dwyer is a great choice on one wing because he works hard, plays good defense, and doesn't need the puck to be successful. A team also needs penalty killers and Dwyer fits that role as well. The other wing should ideally be a bruiser. I don't mean a fourth line/ extra enforcer type. I mean a big guy that will hit and go to the net. Somebody with a little sandpaper. If we draft Nich, and he jumps the pond, he would fit nicely on that line.

Virtually all our forward prospects are converted centers. That's why I like Drouin and Nich above MacKinnon and Barkov.

The only way I would even consider bring MAB back would be if Murphy is not in the plans. It would be way to much defensive liability to carry them both.

Couldn't agree more. I've said it once before but having Murphy and MAB dressed in the same game would just be ridiculous. That certainly wouldn't fit the "harder to play against" idea put forth by JR. With the personnel we have here the power play should work, and I am willing to give Murphy a try. I just don't see why MAB should be brought back unless Murphy isn't near ready. Even then, Murphy or MAB should only be used on the PP, and I would much rather have a genuine 4th line than dressing seven D to put a band-aid on our PP issues. Putting MAB or Murphy in our three defensive pairings consistently would make me concerned. Very concerned.

Also, an interesting article talked about what should be the #1 target (draft or free agent) for every non-playoff team. Our listed #1 target: Mark Streit. I've wanted him on this team for many years, as I think he has been very underrated. The problem is, I've wanted him on this team for many years. At 33 I'm not sure how much he has left but I would be very pleased to hear that we are looking at him as an option. Might be hard to get him away from the Isles now though.

Edited by Kyrule

The more I think about the Rosey situation, the more I think some things were said behind the scenes that lead to Rosey skipping the interview. 

I was actually thinking about the Tanabe situation when JR mentioned that. We never got his side of the story, and probably never will. I don't think we will ever find out LaRose's side/excuse for not showing up. Regardless I think he should have showed up. Very telling as to what his future will be here.

A few other interesting thoughts on the interview today. I would have loved to be a fly on the wall on this road trip to and from Charlotte they kept mentioning. Interesting comments about MAB and Murphy, my guess is it will go down to if MAB gets other offers and if not training camp. I am glad to hear JR mention that they want to get 2 or 3 new defenseman and they are not afraid to spend money to make it happen. If only that was the case with Allen or Seidenburg... Imagine both of those guys still on our defense... :shock:

Am I the only one disturbed by the Press Conference where only the defense and 3rd/4th lines need to get better and the injured healed?

I would really prefer to hear that losing is completely and totally unacceptable and the Special Team will be fixed (not must be fixed).  I'd like to hear that coaching needs to be better, assistants need to be better and the GM needs to be better.  In short, a total and complete accountability by the ENTIRE organization, and not the players who were asked to do too much.

Ok not going to try and "guess' what will happen between now and next season-should be fun to watch though!

As for Rosey "missing" his exit meeting-Rosey was clearly not himself this season-whether it was the system-coaching-the role he was being asked to play-injuries-whatever it clearly wasnt working- he was played in just about every role on every line in every posotion-talk about having an identity crisis that would surely give anybody one...Kirk mentioned that he thought the 3rd line was 1 of the most important lines-well he played Rosey there most of the season-not sure what that says if anything. Maybe it was "suggested" to Rosey that he didn't fit the team plan going forward-if so why would he bother with the exit meeting? I still believe he brings that something to the team that would be hard to replace-if Chad decides he needs a change of scenery I will be sad to see him go-he is 1 of those players "Once a Cane-Always a Cane"! I am hoping they can work it out-Glad to hear we need and Allen or Spacek please find 1 or 2! Sounded like we may have closed the books on Pete-Dawg...Sounded pretty confident that we would be getting a forward with the draft pick- who's available for buy-out and do we do that? A lot of hockey left-may not be playoffs for us but hockey none the less :)

Ok not going to try and "guess' what will happen between now and next season-should be fun to watch though!

As for Rosey "missing" his exit meeting-Rosey was clearly not himself this season-whether it was the system-coaching-the role he was being asked to play-injuries-whatever it clearly wasnt working- he was played in just about every role on every line in every posotion-talk about having an identity crisis that would surely give anybody one...Kirk mentioned that he thought the 3rd line was 1 of the most important lines-well he played Rosey there most of the season-not sure what that says if anything. Maybe it was "suggested" to Rosey that he didn't fit the team plan going forward-if so why would he bother with the exit meeting? I still believe he brings that something to the team that would be hard to replace-if Chad decides he needs a change of scenery I will be sad to see him go-he is 1 of those players "Once a Cane-Always a Cane"! I am hoping they can work it out-Glad to hear we need and Allen or Spacek please find 1 or 2! Sounded like we may have closed the books on Pete-Dawg...Sounded pretty confident that we would be getting a forward with the draft pick- who's available for buy-out and do we do that? A lot of hockey left-may not be playoffs for us but hockey none the less :)

I agree with you about Rosey. He clearly wasn't the LaRose we have been used to seeing. It would be too bad if it ends like this. I hope there is a good explanation why he didn't attend the exit meetings.

I agree with you about Rosey. He clearly wasn't the LaRose we have been used to seeing. It would be too bad if it ends like this. I hope there is a good explanation why he didn't attend the exit meetings.

Unfortunitly we will probably never hear it :(

Undrafted.  Over 500 NHL games.  Name on Cup.  That's really something when it comes right down to it. 

It really bothers me he chose to skip his exit interview, not in a negative way, but in a sad way, as others have mentioned.

Ok so we have about 7.6 million in cap space. 

If a top 6 is to go the only 2 that could be moved is Skinner or Ruutu.  I just dont see Ruutu going as about every player mentioned how they were a different team when he was on the ice. Skinner has to work on the 2nd line.  There is no way we can revamp the 3rd line and the D while having 6 million dollar third line center.  If JR wants the third line to get bigger putting Skinner there doesnt work.

Dmen either FA or trade options:

Yandle- 5.25 mil cap hit for 3 more seasons (will be expensive though)

Shane O'Brien (2 mil hit for 2 more seasons)- Avalanche have 8 dmen on contract for next season plus the have Siemens in the minors and drafting Jones. 

Erik Johnson (3.75 mil cap hit for 3 seasons)- see above plus he has never lived up to the expectations.  Be a great acquisition for us as our media doesnt apply pressure to the players.

Braydon Coburn (4.5 mil cap hit for 3 seasons)- They only have 2 mil cap space and need a couple of forwards.  Could be a good swap with McBain. 

Douglas Murray- Big guy, may be a lot of interested teams.

Mark Streit- Older guy if we arent able to get younger guys or need a veteran for leadership.

A big reach- St. Louis a Pietrangelo for Skinner swap (as the main pieces for the deal).

Am I the only one disturbed by the Press Conference where only the defense and 3rd/4th lines need to get better and the injured healed?

I would really prefer to hear that losing is completely and totally unacceptable and the Special Team will be fixed (not must be fixed).  I'd like to hear that coaching needs to be better, assistants need to be better and the GM needs to be better.  In short, a total and complete accountability by the ENTIRE organization, and not the players who were asked to do too much.

All of this.  This is the one year we the fans needed deserved to hear something other than the usual 'press speak'

As far as Larose is concerned, it really doesn't matter what was said or what happened...you're a professional. You show up to your exit interview. You can't have that kind of attitude surrounding the organization. I'm appreciative of what he's done here, but that sort of thing is not tolerable, so it's time to go.

Also, JR said there won't be any compliance buyouts for this team.

Re LaRose...unforunate that he did not show up for his interview.  As JR said, they've had a relationship with him since he was in juniors.  He was going to have to take a huge (like 50% huge) pay cut to stay here and maybe that upset him enough to pack his gear and bolt.

Re MAB and Murphy...I think it would be great to get a year from MAB to let Murphy get a year in the AHL.  It would do worlds to help him in his development and we get a solid PP contributor to fill the need.  Almost a no-brainer.  That being said, time is on our side right now.  The organization has a great opportunity to watch him in Charlotte during the playoffs and if he lights it up and looks NHL ready,  the decision gets tougher. 

In terms of defensemen...Andre Benoit out of Ottowa could fit the bill nicely.  54 blocked shots in 44 games, 29 years old and just finished his first "full" season.  This is exactly the kind of guy we are looking for. 

I don't think they can (I could definitely be wrong though). I remember watching Luongo's interview at the trade deadline and he said that if he could change his contract or get rid of it, he would. I would think that the Vancouver management would agree to restructure the deal too to help make a trade possible. If both the player wants it and the management would benefit from it, why wouldn't they do it? Probably due to rules of some sort. 

Again, that's my best guess and not necessarily how it really is.

Re LaRose...unforunate that he did not show up for his interview.  As JR said, they've had a relationship with him since he was in juniors.  He was going to have to take a huge (like 50% huge) pay cut to stay here and maybe that upset him enough to pack his gear and bolt.

Re MAB and Murphy...I think it would be great to get a year from MAB to let Murphy get a year in the AHL.  It would do worlds to help him in his development and we get a solid PP contributor to fill the need.  Almost a no-brainer.  That being said, time is on our side right now.  The organization has a great opportunity to watch him in Charlotte during the playoffs and if he lights it up and looks NHL ready,  the decision gets tougher. 

In terms of defensemen...Andre Benoit out of Ottowa could fit the bill nicely.  54 blocked shots in 44 games, 29 years old and just finished his first "full" season.  This is exactly the kind of guy we are looking for. 

I think the MAB/Murphy decision will hinge on what the market has for MAB. If we can sign him on an inexpensive one year deal, I'd go that way and let Murphy spend at least a few months in Charlotte before bringing him up (subsequently trading MAB to some one looking for a rental). If not, you promote Murphy from the jump and hope the kid is as good as we all think he is.

I don't think they can (I could definitely be wrong though). I remember watching Luongo's interview at the trade deadline and he said that if he could change his contract or get rid of it, he would. I would think that the Vancouver management would agree to restructure the deal too to help make a trade possible. If both the player wants it and the management would benefit from it, why wouldn't they do it? Probably due to rules of some sort. 

Again, that's my best guess and not necessarily how it really is.

I think the players association would pitch a fit.

One thing that really bothers me is when JR described the Canes locker room as quiet. Does that bother anyone else?

Turned on the TV this morning as I awoke, and Worlds were on since I left the channel tuned to NBCSN.

USA beats Austria 5-3.

Justin Faulk, 2A, +1, TOI 17:34

Jamie McBain, 1A, +0, TOI 11:46

D-man Erik Johnson rips off 2 goals.

Anson Carter was doing commentary.  Hey JR, sign up Anson to take Chantel's place.  I liked him!

One thing that really bothers me is when JR described the Canes locker room as quiet. Does that bother anyone else?

It bothers me a little----but I wonder if it was quiet early in the season when we were winning

vs. later when we were in the tailspin----or whether it was that way all season?

(Except for Rosie and maybe Harry we have a bunch of more reserved guys---character guys,

but quiet) I bet Faulk will be more vocal, and Skinner, when they mature a little in their roles .

Sure we had some key injuries. And there is no doubt that was a factor in what happened. And another interesting thing from the press conference was the mention that due to the shortened season, the last half was playoff intensity. That might have exposed our weaknesses more than usual.

But all that said, I still wonder about off ice stuff. I have NO idea, but that losing streak was pretty long. Hard to think that was all injuries. Not common for GM (especially JR) to mention how quiet the locker room was. JR said "very" quiet, then after saying it started fiddling with his tie. 

i am thinking there was something to him bringing that up.

Edited by remkin

Sure we had some key injuries. And there is no doubt that was a factor in what happened. And another interesting thing from the press conference was the mention that due to the shortened season, the last half was playoff intensity. That might have exposed our weaknesses more than usual.

But all that said, I still wonder about off ice stuff. I have NO idea, but that losing streak was pretty long. Hard to think that was all injuries. Not common for GM (especially JR) to mention how quiet the locker room was. JR said "very" quiet, then after saying it started fiddling with his tie. 

i am thinking there was something to him bringing that up.

Well, to add to the guessing game....when Chad LaRose came back from his concussion, John and Tripp made a big deal about the locker room intangibles he would contribute with his return.   Maybe it was obvious to everyone in the know that the locker room was in need of something then too.

Well, to add to the guessing game....when Chad LaRose came back from his concussion, John and Tripp made a big deal about the locker room intangibles he would contribute with his return.   Maybe it was obvious to everyone in the know that the locker room was in need of something then too.

And then Chad skips his exit interview.