The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Well great there goes Matt Cullen... So the only thing we do today is sign "kirkies" friend...he better be good! Here's to hoping we are quietly (very quietly) becoming a "Cinderella" team- lets hope the shoe fits. How are the other " non traditional " market teams buying top players?

(on Hedberg) Doubt it, he was bought out of a 1.4m contract, meaning no one in the league figured he was worth 1.4m. He'd be a cheap 40 year old backup now. JR, I'd go for it. Sad to see Scuderi and Ference go, but I don't know the terms of their new contracts. Considering we just added defensive depth with Komi (who has over 500 games of experience and 29 games of post-season experience). We now have defensive depth guys! This is something that we needed to add and we did, and for pretty damn cheap.  Sekera has a great contract and took McBain's off the books, and then we add Komi who will most likely start in the #5 spot, bumping Harry to the #6 and Bellemore/Murphy to #7. For now anyways, until players make their case in camp/preseason. Wishfully thought Ference or Scuderi was going to be ours, but this is a smarter move in reality, taking up only 700k space, leaving cap for a third liner such as Cullen, possibly Clowe, or just standing pat until camp.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Found this quote from Hockey Buzz... "Two guys the Hawks are targeting I'm told are Chad LaRose and Ryan Jones. Do not expect the Hawks to move fast on either. Or on anyone."

Guess we will see.

I'm hoping we are not done!! Still need another winger. Is Filppula still available?

Flip wants to play center, that's why he left Detroit.  Probably too much money to have for a 3rd line center since we overpaid for Ruutu, J Staal, E Staal, and Semin to play here long term.

(on Hedberg) Doubt it, he was bought out of a 1.4m contract, meaning no one in the league figured he was worth 1.4m. He'd be a cheap 40 year old backup now. JR, I'd go for it. Sad to see Scuderi and Ference go, but I don't know the terms of their new contracts. Considering we just added defensive depth with Komi (who has over 500 games of experience and 29 games of post-season experience). We now have defensive depth guys! This is something that we needed to add and we did, and for pretty damn cheap.  Sekera has a great contract and took McBain's off the books, and then we add Komi who will most likely start in the #5 spot, bumping Harry to the #6 and Bellemore/Murphy to #7. For now anyways, until players make their case in camp/preseason. Wishfully thought Ference or Scuderi was going to be ours, but this is a smarter move in reality, taking up only 700k space, leaving cap for a third liner such as Cullen, possibly Clowe, or just standing pat until camp.

According to TSN:

Ference: 4 years, $13 million (cap hit = 3.25)

Cullen: 2 years, $7million (cap hit = 3.5)

Clowe: 5 years, $24.25 (cap hit = 4.85)

I kinda doubt our goalie situation changes. I don't think that Hedberg would be enough of an improvement since we already have Peters on the books. Doubt Hedberg would have looked much better behind our team last year. For what it's worth Peters had a better save percentage than him too.

2012-13 Stats both played in 19 games

Hedberg   GAA: 2.76    S% .883

Peters    GAA:  3.46   S%  .891

My guess is the improved D will help our goalies numbers. If we spend anymore I'd prefer it to be on a bottom 6 forward that will help the PK.

So far:

Weiss 5 yrs 4.9 mil per (DET)

Clarkson 7 yrs 5.1 per (TOR)

Stalberg 4 years 3 per (NSH)  (I guy I hope to get but at 2.25 mil per not 3, so Im ok with not getting him)

Bozak 5 years 4.2 per (TOR)

Scuderi 4 years 3.375 per (PIT) great player but 4 years?

Horton 7 years 5 mil.3 per (CLB)  7 years, whoa

Clowe 5 years 4.85m per (NJ)

Ference 4 years 3.25m per (EDM) great signing for next 2 years, they will regret the contract in years 3 to 4

Riberio 4 years 5.5 mil per (ARZ) ewwwww

Alfredsson 1 year 3.5m with bonuses up to 5m (DET) good signing IMO

Cullen 2 years 3.5 m per (NSH) glad we passed on that

Ellis 2 years 900k per (DAL)

Emery 1 year 1.65m (PHI)

Flippula 5 years 5 mil per (TB) holy overpayment batman for a guy with 1 20 goal season

So far Im glad JR has stayed out of these big signings.  Overpaying and signing the older guys to longer deals than they are worth. 

Edited by gocanes0506

Too bad to see Ellis go.  Last year was just so unfortunate with some serious bad luck and timing.

I think the move is probably good for him.  As I recall, he put down roots in the heartland of the country over the years due to the teams he was playing for, so Dallas is a kind of homecoming for him and probably good for the family situation.

Edited by wxray1

Too bad to see Ellis go.  Last year was just so unfortunate.  It is probably good for him.  As I recall, he put down roots in the heartland of the country over the years due to the teams he was playing for, so Dallas is a kind of homecoming for him and probably good for the family situation.

Well, it's a two-year contract so may be his final team.

Personal opinion, of course, but...I wish we would buy out Pikanen and pick up a younger replacement.  He has not impressed me at all and he's too unpredictable.  He gets hit and he's out!  This last short season, he made a lot of bad passes, with most up the middle, on the PK.  Murphy and Faulk are better quarterbacks for the PK so we need some grit to play with them.  A heavy hitter with will move people out of Cam's way.

Just saying...

According to TSN:

Ference: 4 years, $13 million (cap hit = 3.25)

Cullen: 2 years, $7million (cap hit = 3.5)

Clowe: 5 years, $24.25 (cap hit = 4.85)

Wow Clowe made out like a bandit. Sad to see Cullen go too. Also, Alfredsson is NOT playing for Ottawa? WHAT IS GOING ON!?

Personal opinion, of course, but...I wish we would buy out Pikanen and pick up a younger replacement.  He has not impressed me at all and he's too unpredictable.  He gets hit and he's out!  This last short season, he made a lot of bad passes, with most up the middle, on the PK.  Murphy and Faulk are better quarterbacks for the PK so we need some grit to play with them.  A heavy hitter with will move people out of Cam's way.

Just saying...

With only one season left on his contract and his ability to play (at times) couldn't be matched by any one in the FA pool.  If a top D man was an upcoming FA and JR had an interview where he thought he would have signed, then Pits may have been bought out.

Wow Clowe made out like a bandit. Sad to see Cullen go too. Also, Alfredsson is NOT playing for Ottawa? WHAT IS GOING ON!?

I called that when he announced he wasn't retiring. Just seemed like a good fit. The only signing that'll make it tough for Carolina is Horton going to Columbus. Maybe Clarkson, but I think that's going to be yet another bad contract for that organization.