The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Sometimes stating the facts along can cause an undue rise out those who always see it as half full.. I however totally agree.

A. Cam is not an elite goalie

B. Signing a D-man whos history is Injury prone is not exciting

C. J.Staal contract is way out reality

D. Another year of saying hey Wait until next season..Is NOT acceptable...

and E. please trade Trip Tracy for a Barbe-q Plate, anything.....

A. Goalies are only as good as the defensive structure in front of them.  Ward has been held back his entire professional career (by JR's cheaper-than-dirt defenses - thanks to sub-par funding).

B. Komisarek isn't exciting, he is an improvement over Sanguinetti, McBain, Bellemore, the rest of the #5-6-7 defensemen.

C. J.Staal's contract was approved/offered by reportedly at least two NHL GMs, Rutherford and Ray Shero - both have been named 'Executive/GM of the Year'.  Their opinion differs than yours.  Posters are entitled to their opinion, but I chose to side with the professionals in situations of talent evaluation and foresight.

D. This is simply putting the cart before the horse.  Why make such an assumption so early?

There are two sides to every coin.  I choose logic and reasoning over gut-feeling and amateur armchair roster management opinions  no matter who they come from.  Now we can go back and forth, saying the same typical lines in a lengthy and heated debate over these issues, the same lines written and quoted hundreds of times in countless threads or simply agree to disagree.  Some people simply want to have a reason to complain.  They've made themselves known... well known... and it gets kind of annoying to sit and anticipate what so-and-so is going to complain about in regards to the latest news.  But, as long as they follow the rules and guidelines of the forum, continue on by all means.  Still, it IS annoying, none-the-less.  And I reserve the right to reject some of those opinions and while following the same rules and guidelines, complain about the complaints.

Edited by jb_online

Please simma down now....

Not everyone here is going to only see the bright (sometimes naïve) side. 

If you really think signing a 700-800k 31-year old D-man that has only managed to start 150-ish games over the last four (4) NHL seasons is a big piece of the puzzle -- more power to you!!  I hope you are right.

Bottom line - Some are happy about making the playoffs once in the last seven years and take pride in their ability to find excuses. Others are not.

Some are willing to hope and always see the bright side. Others are more realistic.

If you feel me and others are sometimes raining on the parade, please don't take it personally, its not like that is the goal, we're just expressing an opinion and see it from another view.

And for the record, I have been happy about a lot here. You (and about 3 others) just seem to remember my posts about Cam (the fact he's NOT a top-5 NHL goalie) and Jordan (his contract being this team's possible #1 problem moving forward).

I think the general consensus isnt how great komi is necessarily, but Sekera/Komisarek/Khudobin > Corvo/Mcbain/Peters.  Addition by subtraction is the theme.  It also seems like JR is making the right moves instead of spending a lot of money on a forward we don't need.

JR did good today.  Most top free agents were hilariously overpaid, then people would be complaining about contracts.

Please simma down now....

Not everyone here is going to only see the bright (sometimes naïve) side. 

If you really think signing a 700-800k 31-year old D-man that has only managed to start 150-ish games over the last four (4) NHL seasons is a big piece of the puzzle -- more power to you!!  I hope you are right.

Bottom line - Some are happy about making the playoffs once in the last seven years and take pride in their ability to find excuses. Others are not.

Some are willing to hope and always see the bright side. Others are more realistic.

If you feel me and others are sometimes raining on the parade, please don't take it personally, its not like that is the goal, we're just expressing an opinion and see it from another view.

And for the record, I have been happy about a lot here. You (and about 3 others) just seem to remember my posts about Cam (the fact he's NOT a top-5 NHL goalie) and Jordan (his contract being this team's possible #1 problem moving forward).

I call bull on the highlighted part.  I hardly remember a thing that you have posted that was positive in any manner.  If you dislike everything about the Canes, find another organization to root for.

None of us are happy about the recent playoff record, so don't go throwing that around.

We now know that JR was looking at a FA in the 3-3.5 million range. My guess is we will continue to look for a player in that range possible via trade. How ever we do it I would feel more comfortable if we could get an established 3rd line forward to go along with Lindholm and probable Dwyer.

Dwyer on the third line doesn't worry me. He has speed, plays bigger then his size and does almost everything right. Lindholm will be a worry until we see him play but If he lives up to his scouting report should be ok.

A. Goalies are only as good as the defensive structure in front of them.  Ward has been held back his entire professional career (by JR's cheaper-than-dirt defenses - thanks to sub-par funding).

B. Komisarek isn't exciting, he is an improvement over Sanguinetti, McBain, Bellemore, the rest of the #5-6-7 defensemen.

C. J.Staal's contract was approved/offered by reportedly at least two NHL GMs, Rutherford and Ray Shero - both have been named 'Executive/GM of the Year'.  Their opinion differs than yours.  Posters are entitled to their opinion, but I chose to side with the professionals in situations of talent evaluation and foresight.

D. This is simply putting the cart before the horse.  Why make such an assumption so early?

A. have you looked at Cams stats as to where he finished compared to other goalies over the last 4 yrs???

B. How can you say the D-guy is an improvement when he hasnt played a game yet for the Canes??

C. After last yrs short season and if YOU were the owner, would you be thinking CRAP I WAY over paid for this guy????

D. If the horse cant pull the cart you have two options shoot it or EAT IT....

It must pain you to be optimistic or happy about anything.  Komisarek is an improvement for the third pairing.

ditto... negative nellies, drives me batty!

A. have you looked at Cams stats as to where he finished compared to other goalies over the last 4 yrs???

B. How can you say the D-guy is an improvement when he hasnt played a game yet for the Canes??

C. After last yrs short season and if YOU were the owner, would you be thinking CRAP I WAY over paid for this guy????

D. If the horse cant pull the cart you have two options shoot it or EAT IT....

A. The other Canes goalies are the only ones you can compare his stats too, since they had the same defensive structure and players.  Or do you believe the Rangers, Devils, Red Wings etc have an equal stable of players as the Canes?

B. The same way someone can try to argue he isn't - history and scouting.

C. JR isn't the owner, but if I were the GM I would be realistic enough to give someone more than half a season to make their mark.  The length of that evaluation period is a policy I am not familiar with - but, considering all employers have them in one way or another, it exists.  If J.Staal hasn't earned a spot on the team at that point, then you can call it a failure.

D. What about putting it to pasture?  Renting it out at parties for the kiddies?  Studding it?  You might just be trying to force a round peg into a square hole.

will be interesting to see how the FA and trade market plays out over the off-season.  Teams such as the kitty-kats kept pretty much clear of any deals.

For the first day I am pretty much satisfied.  They dumped some dead wood and made some improvements to the defense.  Still would like to see the formation of a solid third line offense.

No top-of-the-line player was brought in and this is probably a good thing.  The Canes do not need a prime-dona  on the team  This isn't a glitzy market such as Boston, NY or DC.  It will be tough playing in the new division.  The one good thing revenue-wise is that  more people will come to the games instead of a Jets, Bolts, Kitty-kats games

will be interesting to see how the FA and trade market plays out over the off-season.  Teams such as the kitty-kats kept pretty much clear of any deals.

For the first day I am pretty much satisfied.  They dumped some dead wood and made some improvements to the defense.  Still would like to see the formation of a solid third line offense.

No top-of-the-line player was brought in and this is probably a good thing.  The Canes do not need a prime-dona  on the team  This isn't a glitzy market such as Boston, NY or DC.  It will be tough playing in the new division.  The one good thing revenue-wise is that  more people will come to the games instead of a Jets, Bolts, Kitty-kats games

Muller made it clear that he wants a scoring third line, so I bet JR will focus on working on that now.

Good point about the new division... it's going to be more difficult to win, but cash should be flowing thanks to the opposition.  Of course winning a few games and making the playoffs would help out with the profit, too...

I disagree with the notion we can't beat the so-called top teams in the new division.  We have struggled more with the bottom teams in the old Southeast than the new teams in the regular season.

Jagr on the third line is a vast improvement over: Dwyer, Nash, Bowman, Dalpe in terms of offensive production. Dwyer is getting there, he'll be a good solid career third liner. But if Jagr wants to play here and is willing to take less money to play here with his buddy Tlusty (who by the way is quite fond of Jagr, pretty much his hockey idol) I'd go for it. One year isn't that big of a deal. Jagr will make the powerplay better for sure, and people were talking about a pure playmaker. Doesn't really get any better than Jagr. Well, it does obviously, but in terms of reality and who wants to/is capable of coming over here. I'd be quite happy with Jagr, even if they take Gleason's or Jordan's 'A' and give it to him based on experience alone. And if Jagr comes in and is slow and somehow by some weird curse cannot make those sick passes he's been making for the past 26 years, then he goes after one year, no big deal. Talk about adding a real good veteran presence. The guy is lock for the Hall of Fame. We need guys like that, Brindy and Francis haven't been in a sweater in a long time and we never quite replaced their presence with comparable players. The ones I believed we were grooming to be that presence was eventually traded away (Stillman, Williams) or walked away (Whitney).

And I agree with Coastal. I think our new Divisional Rivals are in for a rude awakening when they come into our arena and expect an easy win. A very rude awakening. We've historically been much better against teams not in the Southeast Division.

Oh, and just to remind some of you, Tlusty played on a top line with his Czech team during the lockout that consisted of Tlusty - Plekanec - Jagr. They produced damn well, and all were at or above a PPG pace. Jagr and Tlusty have some real chemistry already. The only thing is I'd be sad to break up the Tlusty - Staal - Semin line.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

In the rare case in which we are able to get Jagr

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

Dwyer-Staal-Ruutu

Jagr-Skinner-Lindholm

Westgarth-Riley-Bowman/Sutter/Staal

Not too bad if everyone can stay healthy. 

I disagree with the notion we can't beat the so-called top teams in the new division.  We have struggled more with the bottom teams in the old Southeast than the new teams in the regular season.

Well, that's true... last season especially.

I suppose what I meant was that it would only be statistically more difficult than being in the Southeastern Division.  We are going to have to keep up with some high-rollers.  But, like SuckaPunchd put, the Canes are never an easy team to beat... just ask Boston, Buffalo or New Jersey.

Jeez...I go flying over Afghanistan for half a day and all hell breaks loose ;)

I'm still digesting all the Day 1 moves, but here's my thoughts so far:
1. Khudobin?  Are you kidding me?  I never saw this one coming in a million years.  I thought JR would've gone after an aging veteran like 'Bulin or Hedberg to back Cam up.  I LOVE THIS MOVE!!!!  Anton did an awesome job backing up Tukka this season, and is probably the goalie steal of the entire free-agency.  I was shocked that Boston let him go.

2. Like the Komisarek deal...I figured they went after him only because Ference wouldn't talk to them.  But I think Toronto's system failed him this past season and he should return to form with us (where the pressure is off).

3. Laughing pretty hard at Iggy/B's. 

4. Pittsburgh, you are off my "Boo" list...Minnesota, you're now on my "Boo" list, and will stay there til Matt Cooke leaves.

5. Still think we can sign Jagr for cheap...like 1.5 mil...and he'd still offer some great potential on our 3rd line...maybe a great mentor for Skinner.

6. Gee, other than Ellis (which I'm scratching my head on...really Dallas?), no of our UFA's got signed...I'm totally SHOCKED ;)

7. I want one or two more decent signings before I would declare this free agency period a resounding success for the Canes (especially after the disasters that have gone on the past few FA seasons)...go get em JR!

One thing that has bothered me for some time is when it is said the player will face less pressure and lower expectations in Carolina. We all know we aren't Toronto or Montreal or New York. We all know our rink isn't crawling with media or every eye in the stands is grading every move a player makes. But there is pressure this season to make the playoffs and fan expectation is no less for a playoff team then in any other market.

I understand the statements made after the Komisarek signing and I understand  some of the pressure and expectations have been lifted from him.

But I wish someone in the organization would say our expectation is to make the playoffs and anything short of that is unacceptable..

But I wish someone in the organization would say our expectation is to make the playoffs and anything short of that is unacceptable..

:applause:

JR still has some moves to make but I'd also like to hear this....over and over.

How about this trade option

Harrison, Dwyer, and Riley Nash.   3.4 -3.625 mil cap (depending on what Riley is re-signed for)

for

Niskanen and Sutter 4,366,000 mil cap

They gain three guys on the roster while gaining another 750k in cap.  They wont be able to afford Sutter after next season and we can make up for our mistake.

No way the Pens Trade Sutter...They are already short in the bottom 6...But Shero did state in his press conference that they were open to trading Niskanen and his 2.3M cap hit for a bottom 6 forward with a smaller cap hit.

How about Nisk for Dywer straight up...or Pens could add a mid round pick for the Canes taking more cap hit.

My thoughts on where our focus should be if we don't hold pat with our current status. There is still meat on the table worthy of consideration if the right opportunity comes along. The top three could fit into our budget and would be a great fit. I believe Jagr could be had for 2.5 to 3 mil.

Jagr, Jaromir »

R

BOS

$4,550,000

2013 (UFA

Brunner, Damien »

R

DET

$1,350,000

2013 (UFA

Boyes, Brad »

R

NYI

$1,000,000

2013 (UFA)

Antropov, Nik »

C

WPG

$4,062,500

2013 (UFA)

Roy, Derek »

C

VAN

$4,000,000

2013 (UFA

Penner, Dustin »

L

LAK

$3,250,000

2013 (UFA

I'd take LaRose over half the guys currently slated to be in the bottom 6 right now.

Honestly, I'm still expecting him back after a few days of humiliation from no phone calls.  About mid week, I expect to see him signed for about 750k.