The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

No way the Pens Trade Sutter...They are already short in the bottom 6...But Shero did state in his press conference that they were open to trading Niskanen and his 2.3M cap hit for a bottom 6 forward with a smaller cap hit.

How about Nisk for Dywer straight up...or Pens could add a mid round pick for the Canes taking more cap hit.

I agree with they don't want to trade Sutter.  My only thought process is they have $53 million tied up for 11 players for '14-15 season.  Unless the cap goes up significantly, that leaves about 15 million for 9 players.  That includes needs of the entire right side of the offense, 3 defenders, back up goalie and another bottom 6 guy. I just don't believe they could afford to keep either Sutter or Nis after next season. The trade I proposed gives them a cap hit of about 3.5 mil for this season and next.  A 56.5 mil cap hit for 14 players sounds better than a 53 mil for 11.  I know it wont happen but it was a crazy thought I had.

Edited by gocanes0506

One thing that has bothered me for some time is when it is said the player will face less pressure and lower expectations in Carolina. We all know we aren't Toronto or Montreal or New York. We all know our rink isn't crawling with media or every eye in the stands is grading every move a player makes. But there is pressure this season to make the playoffs and fan expectation is no less for a playoff team then in any other market.

I understand the statements made after the Komisarek signing and I understand  some of the pressure and expectations have been lifted from him.

But I wish someone in the organization would say our expectation is to make the playoffs and anything short of that is unacceptable..

Completely agree. As someone who is a private person I completely understand the "out of the spotlight" and "less media pressure" comments, and I am good with that. However the "less expectation" comments are not good. I understand JR is referring to the fact that there will be less expectations from Komisarek in terms of minutes and that he will not have to be a #1 or #2 guy, but still the comments were worded poorly. Lower expectations is something you never want to hear.

I'd take LaRose over half the guys currently slated to be in the bottom 6 right now.

Honestly I don't think LaRose has a place in the NHL anymore, and I pray we don't bring him back. I would take all of our bottom six players and some of the Checkers over LaRose, but that is just my opinion and I could be wrong.

One thing I did want to say about the Komisarek signing is that at least he is the type of big, body-moving defenseman people wanted. He genuinely seems to want to be here and his contract is very low. I'm not saying he will be good or not, I'm just saying that I will always root for someone who I believe wants to be here, and has taken steps to show it. I'm glad we are giving him a chance and I think he is serious about resurrecting his career. If he does play well, guess where he will likely stay for less money?

Daniel Cleary would be a great addition.

Agree 100%. Of all the guys left he is the one I have my eye on. He can be borderline dirty and be an abrasive a-hole, but I think he has some skill and is what the team needs on the third line to play with either Skinner, Lindholm, and/or Dwyer. Plus he provides another veteran presence.

So I'll offer my glass half full opinion of JR's moves from the draft through the first day of free agency. JR at his best. This is the wise sage sifting for serious value (not just a shot in the dark) at every turn. Relatively quietly making this team MUCH better at every turn. 

I just love this quote from Luke in the N&O. The man took the words right out of my mouth. (Seriously, did he read my post on the JR thread first)?

"You don't have to make a big splash or spend millions of dollars on the first day of NHL free agency to make your team better. Many of the teams that did Friday actually got worse, overpaying for guys who won't be able to fill the roles their gaudy new salaries demand."

So true. JR zigged while others fell over themselves zagging. And that included draft day.

So move by move:

1. Lindholm. If you are willing to accept that Nich had major red flags popping up in more than one area, (as evidenced by his plummet despite knowing he could be here next year). Then you have to put this into the reality of our position. The only way to have done better in this draft was to have lost 2 more meaningless games last year. 

Trading up to grab Jones would have been fine if Nashville was blind deaf and dumb. They knew what they had and were asking serious overpayment. No go.

Trading down, once Nich was damaged goods the idea that we could snooker someone into an overpay was gone. Now teams were trying to snooker us into trading down for an underpay.

So it just came down to the pick. We shall see, but it is very clear that the scouting team that delivered with Skinner really likes Lindholm. I don't just mean all the great team and chemistry and two way stuff, but his high end playmaking and offensive skills.  As I predicted (not a tough call) the Canes have pretty much cemented him into the third line center roll. (Poor Nash). I think he will deliver immediately at that level, and grow into an All Star caliber player. 

Just think how strong we will be down the middle for the next 5 years. If J. picks it up, which I think he will, probably only Pittsburgh is stronger down the middle.

2. Sekera. Genius. JR used the hype and luster of "the best draft in history" to trade a second round pick for the very guy you would hope that second round pick could become, in 4-5 years. The more I read about this guy the more I think, this is an above average NHL defenseman. Sure not the "big splash" that some wanted (trading Skinner for a big name for instance), and not a bruiser, but a Faulk like guy who plays the man and gets the puck up. A huge need in today's NHL and a huge need for this team. Now how much would you pay? But wait there's more! In the same move he got Buffalo to take on Kaberle light, McBain. I know uh oh Corvo rhymes, but UH oh McBain is apt. True addition by subtraction. Removes a negative, adds a big need and positive. Now how much would you pay? But wait there's more. Sekera has a very cap friendly salary too. Genius.

3. Rest of draft: who knows? But word is it was pretty good and he did add the size people wanted.

4. Komisarek. Classic JR at his best. You want tough? You want physical? You want size? This is a classic JR find a guy who was really really good, but has fallen on hard times. Yet kept his character through it all, just fighting for another chance. Now how much would you pay? But wait there's more. He is seriously motivated to show what he can do (remind you of anyone (Semin,maybe?). But wait there's more...big and seriously physical...but wait there's more..$700K? Near the minimum? Essentially no risk. Stick him in the press box if it doesn't work out. But what if it does? 6'4" 235.  Former first rounder (JR loves picking up other team's first round cast offs), once an "elite defenseman", former All Star...if this guy returns to form, he will join Jussi Jokinen in the JR Hall of reclamation players.

EDIT: Wanted to add before work, but this move also lets us ease Murphy and Bellmore in. I have high hopes for Murphy, but now he gets to earn a spot and probably get some AHL in there. The one thing our moves have not adressed is the powerplay. And I bet as the season goes on, we are going to want some Murphy, but this gives us options, and important depth also.

5. I gotta run to work, but he picked up a pretty good back up goalie too.

All  in all slick, understated moves that will make us MUCH better next year.

If he can find a third line gritty but can score winger, he will have done everything we needed.

Edited by remkin

I've always respected Luke DeCock.  He's been an outspoken critic of JR from day one.  But here's a guy who says it like it is (take note some of you, in a straight forward but respectful way) and lays it down on paper like he sees it. 

In his article in yesterday's N&O, even he sees what Remkin so nicely laid out above.  I know it's not enough for some of you here, but the team from the draft to today is better than it was just 2 weeks ago.  Yeah, we are up against the cap, but I still feel we have a few more moves up JR's sleeve.

I sincerely hope I eat a huge pile of crow on Lindholm...but I guess I just don't see it.  But JR's post-draft moves have really impressed me...and I hope he's not done yet.

Great article and great post by Remkin. 

JR just needs to sit back and let the other teams squirm for awhile trying to fit their rosters under the cap.  As time goes on, the squirming will turn into desperation moves and JR will be ready to take advantage of some other team's misfortunes or perhaps just poor planning for the new cap. 

I think its pretty clear based on public comments that JR is not finished and has his eyes set on at least one more higher profile target.

I'm not 100% sold that Mike Komiserik is the answer to whats been ailing our defense but I love the new goalie addition.  The defense already has a different look, I'll sit tight

Edited by TSA

:applause:

JR still has some moves to make but I'd also like to hear this....over and over.

Agree, JR knows this is make or break for him, I would think.

Daniel Cleary would be a great addition.

I've said it before, totally agree. Unless he's demanding a ridiculous salary I'd be all over him right now. Veteran presence, won a few cups, plays physical and dependable defensively while being able to put up decent numbers, and every once in a while has a big statistical year.

Yeah, we are up against the cap, but I still feel we have a few more moves up JR's sleeve.

We are up there, but interestingly enough we aren't in the top ten highest cap teams. 

I also wanted to remind people that we didn't sign Semin, our biggest success in last year's FA, until much later in the month. Wouldn't be surprised if it takes that long for whoever we may be targeting right now.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

My thoughts on where our focus should be if we don't hold pat with our current status. There is still meat on the table worthy of consideration if the right opportunity comes along. The top three could fit into our budget and would be a great fit. I believe Jagr could be had for 2.5 to 3 mil.

Jagr, Jaromir »

R

BOS

2013 (UFA

Brunner, Damien »

R

DET

$1,350,000

2013 (UFA

Boyes, Brad »

R

NYI

$1,000,000

2013 (UFA)

Antropov, Nik »

C

WPG

$4,062,500

2013 (UFA)

Roy, Derek »

C

VAN

$4,000,000

2013 (UFA

Penner, Dustin »

L

LAK

$3,250,000

2013 (UFA

Sorry chad, i think your time has come, you gave 110 percent, and maybe you stay, but i take my chances on brunner at his price tag..

I'd also love to see Simon Gagne here. He's pretty tough, had some tough times of late, could add some skill on our third line. Philly was rumored to be signing him, but Holmgren recently said he can't (obviously) due to cap restraints. They are trying to move Coburn though.

I agree, plus he is only 27.

Sorry chad, i think your time has come, you gave 110 percent, and maybe you stay, but i take my chances on brunner at his price tag..

Another article (by Mark Jones), kind of echoing what is being said around here. It even mentions Corvo, the human turd.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1695131-carolina-hurricanes-quietly-making-needed-improvements-to-defense-goaltending

Interesting, there is a poll there asking if you are satisfied with Friday's results. Out of 92 votes, 87% were satisfied.

Edited by Kyrule

I think we will see a serious slow in free agency.  Teams have made the big splashes and now they want to get their RFAs signed.  Once teams figure out their cap status.  Then we may see more signings.  We got 2 guys early for dirt cheap prices, it might take a week or two to get another winger at those prices.  I can see a large amount of trades coming. 

Buffalo has a surplus of 4,5.6 Dman. Toronto may have trouble signing their RFA dmen and Kadri with their big winger signings.  Will St. Louis be able to afford signing Stewart, Piet, D Russell, and G Allen? Flyers need to trade a Dmen.  Pittsburgh has zero cap space and needs to fill roster spot (Niskanen is the name that may go).  There are others that I am not thinking of right now.

We are up there, but interestingly enough we aren't in the top ten highest cap teams.

Your right, but that's somewhat deceiving as we have the least amount of space for teams that have 18 or less players committed to their roster.  So, another way to look at it is we have the least amount of space to full out our roster.

Your right, but that's somewhat deceiving as we have the least amount of space for teams that have 18 or less players committed to their roster.  So, another way to look at it is we have the least amount of space to full out our roster.

Yeah, that does play into it. Plus we haven't signed anyone we qualified yet, that could take up a good chunk of space. Also, TSN reports Jagr's Agent says 3 teams are interested, everyone is taking their time. Now does this mean Jagr isn't the guy? Or did his Agent go around the league saying Jagr would be interested in playing there for whatever terms, and three teams replied with a "Hmmm"? Or did JR just say no and they moved on? The mystery man deal is interesting but irritating. I just wanna know! :(

The rumor is that Montreal has the most interest in jagr. I don't think JR is real hot to get him, but if the price was right he wouldn't pass either. I don't think Jagr will land in Raleigh.

Samson signed with the Jets. Not unexpected since we weren't going to sign him but I will miss Chuck K calling his name on the occasions he skated with the big club.

Puck-Daddy article and a Bleacher Report article listed their top 5 most underrated FA signings:

Khudobin was on both lists.

Edited by Kyrule

Khudobin has some solid stats but he also was on the Bruins so what we have is a guy who has to prove the D doesnt do everything in Boston and our starter who needs to prove hes still our man.

Sounds win win to me. If our D is improved it should be slightly more up to the goalies this year.

I like Matt Cooke as a replacement for someone like LaRose. He brings grit, hustle, and little more scoring than Chad as well. Have no idea what kind of money he's looking for. We need some toughness not just jaw jacking.

I'm glad we didn't get Cooke.  He is a cheap-shot artist, and has the class of Sean Avery.  It would be an embarrassment to see him in a Canes unifrom.