The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I really think Jagr will be a Cane by the end of the day. So far, I am 1 for 1 in my speculations. My first speculation was that the Canes were going to miss the playoffs last year. I made that prediction as everyone laughed at me. Here's to being 2 for 2.

It's ok Blue, I still laugh at you... ;)

I keed I keed

(I seriously hope the rumors are true).

Jagr has a lot of upside in our situation so long as he is in a place to accept a more limited role. One would think, looking at our line up that he would get that if he came here. Why this 41 year old?

10 reasons to sign Jagr to the Canes:

1. Powerless play. While Jagr might not get up and down the ice as fast as some, the man can still be a force on the powerplay. Would anyone argue we don't need that? He was tied for #24 in the league in PP goals last year.

2. Points. Scoring third line. Kirk wants a scoring third line. That means we need at least one more guy who can put up points. Last year at age 40 Jagr put up the equivelant of a 64 point season. He put up 37 points in 41 games, one point shy of Juri Tlusty and would have been #4 on our team last year. Even if Jagr ends up on the second line, it will push some talent down to the third.

I believe if J and Skinner find their game, we have as many points from our top 6 as it sits as just about any team. If Lindholm can cut it, and we added Jagr, for not secondary, but tertiary scoring? 

3. Big body. He may be 41, but he is 6'3" 240. Sure he's not going to drop the gloves or shatter anyone's pelvis, but people want to get bigger, and he still uses that frame down low and in the corners.

4. Locker room. Look, I'm not in there, but last year something did not work. JR himself has alluded to it saying that Komisarek could help there. Well so could Jagr. Reportedly a good locker room guy, and talk about gravitas. 

5. Star power. Sell some tickets. This guy is HOF history skating around. HUGE name cache. In little ol' Carolina? 

6. Similar to 5. More evidence that Carolina is a serious place for name brand FA to consider. First Semin, now Jagr. It's a start. 

7. We don't need him to carry the load. We are very solid 1-6. We don't need the man to be in his prime. The question is not "Are we getting 62 goal, 149 point 95-96 Jagr", the question is, "is he better than, oh Zac Dalpe?" 

8. Final piece. The last piece we need is one more forward for the third line. Then JR will have put a fix on every single weakness last year revealed. 

9. The new kid plays with the Legend. Imagine Lindstrom centering Jagr? Welcome to the Hurricanes Elias, meet your new winger...you might have heard of him...

10. Gravitas. The man has played in 202 NHL playoff games (w/ 199 points, how does a ppg in the playoffs grab you?). OK this year he was .5ppg, tied for #27 in the playoffs,  still not shabby for secondary scoring in the lockdown playoffs). If this team needs some veteran presence, it doesn't get any more veteran, or presence than this.

Edited by remkin

Jagr rumor resurfaced again today. I don't see how he helps, unless the Canes feel like THIS is the year. But budget restraints and a couple of silly contracts will keep them from being a true contender this year. The blueline looks better on paper, but still porous. The 3rd and 4th lines look like oompa loompas, etc. At least the backup goalie situation looks MUCH improved. 

A one year deal for Jagr would be perfect for us for all the reasons that Remkin mentioned. Fan merchandise and ticket sales because of him alone would make up for the salary that we spent on him and then some! It's a legitimate and smart business move. It's time to pull the trigger JR.

Love to hear why not Jagr and who instead, Dalpe or Boychuk? :sarcasm:  (kind of).

Edited by remkin

As of right now our 3rd line would be unable to sustain a forecheck or any sort of offensive zone pressure. Nash + Dalpe + Boychuck + Bowman would not account for 25 points in an 82 game season. That is combined. You're going to sit here and tell me that you feel good about our 3rd line?

Edited by bluedevil58

I'd agree with #5 and #6 Remkin.   Like bluedevil58, I have concerns with the third line and we have no idea what we're going to get with the Lindholm at the NHL level.   I would like to have a 3rd line that is tough to play against every time they step on the ice and putting up some points wouldn't hurt too.

The third line needs to be a scoring concern for the opposing team, but what I'd really like to see is them be able to grind out some good shifts putting pressure with a lot of puck possession time. That's where I see the need for a grittier player.

I too would like a banger 3rd line we can send out there and come back without the score changing the other ways favor. However I don't see that happening with Muller.

Well I have been calling for that gritty player, but he does have to be able to score. Love Dwyer, but he just isn't a scorer. Finding that gritty guy that can score would probably be ideal. Is he still out there though?

Maybe Jagr is premature and JR will find the perfect lower profile guy as things sift out, but I really worry because historically that wait and see plan has often turned into Boychuk, Dalpe, Bowman, etc. OR a cheap option that just doesn't get it done (the list is long). 

Using the favored board equation: Jagr >>>> Dalpe >>>> Anthony Steward, Alex Ponikoarovsky, etc etc.

Edited by remkin

Jagr rumor resurfaced again today. I don't see how he helps, unless the Canes feel like THIS is the year. But budget restraints and a couple of silly contracts will keep them from being a true contender this year. The blueline looks better on paper, but still porous. The 3rd and 4th lines look like oompa loompas, etc. At least the backup goalie situation looks MUCH improved.

Time will tell..

JR just stated that the mystery player is still available and is waiting patiently for JR to move a player out in order to make room for his salary or roster spot. The player actually wants to come play here and is willing to take less money in order to do so. Question is: Who is he trying to move out? Is it Morrow or Jagr...

Edited by bluedevil58

JR just stated that the mystery player is still available and is waiting patiently for JR to move a player out in order to make room for his salary or roster spot. The player actually wants to come play here and is willing to take less money in order to do so. Question is: Who is he trying to move out? Is it Morrow or Jagr...

Was he on the radio or something? 

where did you see this?