The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Well, to add to the guessing game....when Chad LaRose came back from his concussion, John and Tripp made a big deal about the locker room intangibles he would contribute with his return.   Maybe it was obvious to everyone in the know that the locker room was in need of something then too.

It is a guessing game since you can only be sure what JR said and not what he is thinking. Yet in came during a responce to adding veteran Dmen to the mix. The locker room has been described as good a couple of times during the season but maybe there is just something missing, That edge, that spark , that we can beat these guys attitude. Maybe that should have been obvious.

And then Chad skips his exit interview.

Well Rosey got mangements attention didn't he.

Well Rosey got mangements attention didn't he.

If by disappointing them he got their attention, then yes.

But the conspiracy part of me does wonder what is going on behind the scenes. This team just was not that bad. Even with injuries.

But the conspiracy part of me does wonder what is going on behind the scenes. This team just was not that bad. Even with injuries.

Maybe he figured he had nothing to lose. I still don't like he was a no show bu.....

And then Chad skips his exit interview.

This really perplexes me...I really think something was said/done to Rosey behind the scenes that caused the bailout...cause this is COMPLETELY out of character for him.  Something seems amiss in the organization...

Ok so we have about 7.6 million in cap space. 

If a top 6 is to go the only 2 that could be moved is Skinner or Ruutu.  I just dont see Ruutu going as about every player mentioned how they were a different team when he was on the ice. Skinner has to work on the 2nd line.  There is no way we can revamp the 3rd line and the D while having 6 million dollar third line center.  If JR wants the third line to get bigger putting Skinner there doesnt work.

Dmen either FA or trade options:

Yandle- 5.25 mil cap hit for 3 more seasons (will be expensive though)

Shane O'Brien (2 mil hit for 2 more seasons)- Avalanche have 8 dmen on contract for next season plus the have Siemens in the minors and drafting Jones. 

Erik Johnson (3.75 mil cap hit for 3 seasons)- see above plus he has never lived up to the expectations.  Be a great acquisition for us as our media doesnt apply pressure to the players.

Braydon Coburn (4.5 mil cap hit for 3 seasons)- They only have 2 mil cap space and need a couple of forwards.  Could be a good swap with McBain. 

Douglas Murray- Big guy, may be a lot of interested teams.

Mark Streit- Older guy if we arent able to get younger guys or need a veteran for leadership.

A big reach- St. Louis a Pietrangelo for Skinner swap (as the main pieces for the deal).

You have some good defensive options listed.  Mark Streit would fill the MAB/Murphy as PP QB role and provide the leadership of an elder statesman. He'll be a 35 yr old UFA and would let Murphy spend some time in Charlotte. For big guys, I like UFA's Douglas Murray (6'3' 240) and Ryan O'Byrne (6'5" 234) or trade with Colorado for Shane O'Brien (6'3" 230). These guys are in the $2-2.5M contract range. If JR wants to get crazy, he could trade Skinner for Brent Seabrook (6'3" 221). Seabrook's contract for the next few years is $5M and has a limited NTC.

Not really sure how JR wants to address the defensive deficit. Will he bring in a couple of older but capable veteran leaders like Streit, even though he's not known for being physical; or will he look to bring in some physically impressive in their late 20's-early 30's.

Edit:  BTW, Johnson or Coburn would be great and defnitely a preference over O'Brien and O'Byrne ... but more expensive!

Edited by Bill_B

Although JR didn't mention getting some more offensive physicality in his Exit comments, Ryane Clowe, NYR, is a skilled physical forward that becomes a UFA this year. He plays with an edge and could play with Skinner on the 3rd line or with Jordan on the 2nd line in place of Skinner.

Edited by Bill_B

Is making noise in the locker room worth $1.1M?

If so, I'll take it.  I can get in there and make noise.  Rosey can take the other 900k.

Although JR didn't mention getting some more offensive physicality in his Exit comments, Ryane Clowe, NYR, is a skilled physical forward that becomes a UFA this year. He plays with an edge and could play with Skinner on the 3rd line or with Jordan on the 2nd line in place of Skinner.

No way we can have Clowe with Skinner on the 3rd line.  We have about 5 mil in money that PK wants to spend.  If Clowe is signed then there goes about 4 mil.  That would leave a mil in salary.  That will be taken by our 5th overall pick.  It would take a trade of skinner for us to afford Clowe. I agree he would be a great addition for the 2nd line if our 5th overall pick is a center for the 3rd line, Nich wants to stay in Russia for a couple of seasons, or JR goes with a Dman. 

Edited by gocanes0506

If we somehow trade Joni just for salary dump purposes (expect nothing significant in return) and get rid of McBain and maybe another. But some people need to realize we have really about 10 mill in space with Rosey, Brent, Sangs, Ellis, etc all becoming FA's. JR is going to have to be careful when it comes to signing players and budgeting them right so everything fits and we don't become a future Anaheim.

He apparently plans on adding two new veteran players, hopefully defensemen. If that's true, expect two or more defensemen to move or let go. However, JR didn't say he wouldn't add a veteran forward if the defense he wants isn't available. It's going to be interesting this offseason.

Edited by SuckaPunchd

If we somehow trade Joni just for salary dump purposes (expect nothing significant in return) and get rid of McBain and maybe another. But some people need to realize we have really about 10 mill in space with Rosey, Brent, Sangs, Ellis, etc all becoming FA's. JR is going to have to be careful when it comes to signing players and budgeting them right so everything fits and we don't become a future Anaheim.

He apparently plans on adding two new veteran players, hopefully defensemen. If that's true, expect two or more defensemen to move or let go. However, JR didn't say he wouldn't add a veteran forward if the defense he wants isn't available. It's going to be interesting this offseason.

Yes we will have 9 mil in cap space but JR/PK said they wanted to spend around 60 mil.  So that leaves us with about 5 mil of spending space.

JR is going to have to be careful when it comes to signing players and budgeting them right so everything fits and we don't become a future Anaheim.

Except Anaheim actually MAKES the playoffs...

And got the reminder last night that Anaheim has Bryan Allen playing.  Arggh...

And got the reminder last night that Anaheim has Bryan Allen playing.  Arggh...

And JR mentioned how we could have used a guy like that but couldn't afford him. Really? $3.5 million? Take away LaRose's salary and say Corvo's salary, and there you have it.

That was a mistake, and one of the times where JR seemed more defensive than just admitting the mistake.

Yeah, but just last year they were cellar dwellers for a majority of the year. Watch us come out next year like Anaheim did this year, no one expected them to bounce back so strongly.

I'm just glad JR knows we need some veterans, get some experience and leadership. And guys who know what to say in the locker room during games and know how to keep their team playing hard the whole game,

Let me rephrase it then...at least Anaheim CONSISTENTLY makes the playoffs!  Last year was a blip.

And JR mentioned how we could have used a guy like that but couldn't afford him. Really? $3.5 million? Take away LaRose's salary and say Corvo's salary, and there you have it.

That was a mistake, and one of the times where JR seemed more defensive than just admitting the mistake.

What a mistake, especially for $3.5M. Not only did we miss Allen on the ice but in the locker room too!

Now JR needs to spend that much or more on big, skilled 2-way defensemen, like an Erik Johnson, Braydon Coburn, Brent Seabrook, or similar talent. Then go for a big, tough, less skilled defensive defensemen, like Douglas Murray (UFA), Shane O'Brien, Ryan O'Byrne (UFA) or similar $2M+ bruiser.

Not familiar enough with any of these guys to know what they would bring to the locker room. Maybe JR would go with one of the talented d-men and then look for a veteran with leadership like young acting, 35-year old Mark Streit (UFA). He's not a physical guy but could replace MAB as PP QB on the ice and a role model for Murphy.

Edited by Bill_B

No way we can have Clowe with Skinner on the 3rd line.  We have about 5 mil in money that PK wants to spend.  If Clowe is signed then there goes about 4 mil.  That would leave a mil in salary.  That will be taken by our 5th overall pick.  It would take a trade of skinner for us to afford Clowe. I agree he would be a great addition for the 2nd line if our 5th overall pick is a center for the 3rd line, Nich wants to stay in Russia for a couple of seasons, or JR goes with a Dman.

You're right. It would probably be Clowe or Skinner on the 2nd line with Jordan and Ruutu. If Skinner is 2nd line wing, then Clowe, Nash, #5 pick on 3rd line.

Yes we will have 9 mil in cap space but JR/PK said they wanted to spend around 60 mil. So that leaves us with about 5 mil of spending space.

Remember also that JR has to get extensions done this season for Faulk and Tlusty. That can have an effect on what kind of players we are able to sign.

Remember also that JR has to get extensions done this season for Faulk and Tlusty. That can have an effect on what kind of players we are able to sign.

Exactly right.  This is why I believe Skinner will be traded.  We have so much money invested in the top 2 lines; 32 million and thats without Tlusty's extension.  We have got to make some adjustments if we are to revamp our D and then be able to sign Tlusty and Faulk long term. 

Exactly right.  This is why I believe Skinner will be traded.  We have so much money invested in the top 2 lines; 32 million and thats without Tlusty's extension.  We have got to make some adjustments if we are to revamp our D and then be able to sign Tlusty and Faulk long term. 

Skinner is 20 and has already played 3 NHL seasons. He was the youngest player in NHL history to win the Calder Trophy. The first 'Canes player to, by the way. JR never said he'd trade Skinner, he said he consider moving a top-6 player for an all star number one defenseman. He also said he strongly believes that trade is not available and he doubts it will be. Skinner isn't being traded. He's one of our brightest spots in our roster. Eric isn't getting any younger, Semin will be hitting his 30's next season, and players like Skinner don't come around very often. He's got learning to do, obviously, but has the tools and ability to be someone comparable to Patrick Kane of this year. He needs to learn how to combine his creativity in skating and stickhandling with playmaking. He looks for the goal too much and ignores passes. He's not going to play like that forever, and he'll start playing smarter as he gets older. Did I mention he's 20 and already has 3 years of experience in this league already? That in itself is extremely valuable.

If we move someone to make cap space, it'll be a dman or two. We're going to need to make room for our new defensemen coming in, so it's natural we'll see some going out. Pitkanen I don't see being dealt because his injury situation and low current value, however if JR finds a way to move him I think he does. McBain would be the obvious first choice if Pitkanen proves unmovable.

As far as top-6 forwards go, Ruutu's physicality is too valuable to move, Skinner has way too much potential and is a core player. The Staals are automatically safe. Semin isn't moving. Tlusty is our first goalscorer since I'd say Williams, so he's not moving.

I honestly think interrupting our top-6 is a bad move. Our second line could've been way better, but with more options and an actual defense (not to mention our starting goalie) next season we shouldn't worry too much. Yes, we have a future top-6 being drafted at 5th overall, but if we move someone in our top-6 and try putting that rookie there we may be rushing that player a bit. And that's never a good thing, especially for a high draft pick.

Here's our UFA's and last season's salary:

Chad LaRose - 1.7m

Tim Brent - 750k

Joe Corvo - 2m

MAB - 1m

Bobby Sanguinetti - 700k

Dan Ellis - 800k

Tim Wallace - 700k

Jerome Samson - 600k

Brett Sutter - 550k

Brett Bellemore - 525k

Total - 9.325m

RFA's:

Jared Staal - 566k

Zac Dalpe - 875k

AJ Jenks - 875k

Riley Nash - 875k

Andreas Nodl - 845k

MA Gragnani - 800k

Zach Boychuk - 625k

Michal Jordan - 606k

Luke Pither - 600k

Justin Krueger - 600k

Joe Sova - 565k

John Muse - 525k

Total: 8.357m

Combined: 17.682m (not including free space we currently have)

Obviously not all of our RFA's and UFA's are walking, but one has to assume a majority are. And of course, some of this salary was buried in the AHL where it doesn't count against our cap. But I'm just trying to show we aren't as salary cap space strapped as some think.

What are people's feelings on shopping Ruutu?

The only and I mean only way we should shop Ruu is if we're getting a big name dman who is as physical if not more. Which is unlikely :(

Want to keep ruutu, he came on, as he got his sea legs, and no way to trading skinner, i agree.. sucka, great stats!

No on Ruu...Skinner is iffy.  He's one more serious concussion away from a broadcasting career.  IF we can get a decent return for him, I'd say at least entertain the offer.