The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Love me some Jagr, but....

we should ink Jagr if and only if he can be signed with a small base salary (say 1 mil) with bonus's making up the remaining portion of what's reported to be a 3-3.5 mil contract to sign him one year.  That would give us some flexibility during the season in case the need arises to sign another player. 

Personally, I think we need a Morrow and his physical play more than we need Jagr.

Edited by coastal_caniac

Just signed Riley Nash. RALEIGH, NC – Jason Karmanos, Vice President and Assistant General Manager of the National Hockey League’s Carolina Hurricanes, today announced that the team has agreed to terms with center Riley Nash on a two-year, two-way contract. The deal will pay Nash $550,000 on the NHL level or $135,000 on the American Hockey League (AHL) level, with a guarantee of $150,000 in 2013-14. It will pay him $600,000 on the NHL level and $150,000 on the AHL level, with a guarantee of at least $200,000 in 2014-15

Edited by slapshot02

Understood but between Larose and Corvo it was 3.9 mil salary. JR would prefer to move LaRose so that he can act. Doesn't want to wait for him to retire.

Chad is an UFA so he's no longer a liability.

What I don't understand. Why would we need to move salary or clear a roster spot for a 3-3.5mil contract? We would still be under the cap. We could make a trade later to clear a roster spot or dump salary. Dealing from a position before you need to make a salary dump is stronger but if you just went on the radio and said you need to make a roster move to sign a FA you have told the entire league you have to move a player.  I just don't understand.

I suppose the trade could involve a player we have made a qualifying offer too but hasn't signed yet or a roster player with a NMC. Is the trade a bigger move then the FA signing?

Love me some Jagr, but....

we should ink Jagr if and only if he can be signed with a small base salary (say 1 mil) with bonus's making up the remaining portion of what's reported to be a 3-3.5 mil contract to sign him one year.  That would give us some flexibility during the season in case the need arises to sign another player. 

Personally, I think we need a Morrow and his physical play more than we need Jagr.

We would also be losing a contract to make room for him I believe if the statements above are accurate.

Understood but between Larose and Corvo it was 3.9 mil salary. JR would prefer to move LaRose so that he can act. Doesn't want to wait for him to retire.

Chad is no longer under contract, so all JR has to do is nothing. Chad is free to negoiate with every team in the league, the Canes have no rights or obligation to LaRose.

To me if we have to move someone out then it has to be Grabo.  Jagr isn't going to put us over the contract mark.  Grabo as mentioned before scored more goals that a lot of high profile dudes.  Who else would command enough to push us over the cap?  Then again, it could be a self imposed cap we are at now. 

To me if we have to move someone out then it has to be Grabo.  Jagr isn't going to put us over the contract mark.  Grabo as mentioned before scored more goals that a lot of high profile dudes.  Who else would command enough to push us over the cap?  Then again, it could be a self imposed cap we are at now. 

Grabo crossed my mind or as you say we could be at a self imposed cap.   Still curious.

Well Grabovski makes sense in that we love picking up Maple Leafs and we can take both of their compliance buyouts. Plus, talented but run afoul of management fits Island of Misfit Toys. Can put up points if he really wants to play on the third line? Unless we commit to sliding Skinner or Ruutu down with Linholm....but not a big guy. 

Morrow makes more sense to our needs though. JR loves picking up first rounders, even if it was 1997 and at the end of the draft. But more so fits the need of more gritty and can score. Also, if really finds his game really can score, three years ago put up 33 goals, and was basically a PPG over 15 games w/ the Pens at the end of the year this year.

Not that we don't 'need' more defense, but we don't need another body, so we'd have to move someone out to make room back there. I kind of think JR"s done back there. The remaining need is solid 3rd liner who can put up some points and ideally hit a few people.

Edited by remkin

Bob Wage at Canes Country put a story up about JR still trying to sign a FA but waiting to move a player.

CANES COUNTRY

"We have to move someone out in order to bring in this player," Rutherford told Adam Gold and Joe Ovies. "The player is waiting patiently as we try to get this done."

The Radio Interview 99.9 the fan

This isn't anything we haven't been talking about but first I have seen it in print

The interview with JR and that article make a very good point: This player is willing to accept a one year deal. Who on the list of free agents would be looking for that? 

Grabo bad mouthed his coach on way out.. dont want him...I may have mentioned this already, sorry if i did.. its a age thang :)

The fact that JR is stating that we must move a player out screams that it's a d-man....

or Peters? He's on a one way and that is expensive with Khudobin's signing.