The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I don't understand...you have 5M in cap space...the top FA player wants 3-3.5M...why not sign him & then try to move a player..vs possible losing that player if someone steps up & pays more???

JR just seems to do things backwards...at least it seems that way to me.

Either you are all in, or you are rebuilding for the future...Canes seem to be doing both, but only half way.

Thank goodness the Canes are my #2 team or I would be losing my mind lately.

In Shero I trust!!!  Pens went out & got Scuderi..and then will figure out who to trade to get cap room!!!

Edited by rocheccw

or Peters? He's on a one way and that is expensive with Khudobin's signing.

Manwolf, the new CBA still allows a team to "bury" an NHL contract in the AHL without a cap hit so long as it's not more than $375K above the minimum NHL contract. Peters contract is in that window, so it's not an issue.

Edited by coastal_caniac

I think Jagr is the likely candidate if you put all the pieces together. 1 year deal, Tlusty connection (as well as Ron Francis). None of the other FAs have connections here as far as I know, and will probably seek multi-year contracts. The contract to move out is still puzzling but maybe that is because there are more moves in the works. JR mentioned in the radio interview when asked if they were done yet that there still could be another move or two yet.

Bob Wage at Canes Country put a story up about JR still trying to sign a FA but waiting to move a player.

CANES COUNTRY

The Radio Interview 99.9 the fan

This isn't anything we haven't been talking about but first I have seen it in print

If JR says the player is patiently waiting, I think that eliminates Jagr (and his agent).

Morrow, I don't believe would command that large of a contract where a Cane would have to be moved. My speculation is it's Grabo with a reduced but still pricey contract (~$4-4.5) or Ron Hainsey, of NHLPA Lockout fame...very unpopular with many GM's (~$3-4).

Morrow, Grabo, & Hainsey have been very low-key in FA. Hainsey would definitely require a d-man to be moved.

Edited by Bill_B

If JR says the player is patiently waiting, I think that eliminates Jagr (and his agent). Morrow, I don't believe would command that large of a contract where a Cane would have to be moved. My speculation is it's Grabo with a reduced but still pricey contract (~$4-4.5) or Ron Hainsey, of NHLPA Lockout fame...unpopular with GM's (~$4). Morrow, Grabo, & Hainsey have been very low-key in FA. Hainsey would definitely require a d-man to be moved.

Trying to figure out who we might move in a trade is an exercise in futility. Anyone not named Staal, Semin or Faulk could be moved depending on the circumstance. Who do we want to sign.  I just don't think its Jagr. My guess Grabo but it could be Hainsey.

Ticket sales increased by 20% with Jagr in the line up in Dallas. Or 20% more people went to the games. I can't remember what I read.

Edited by bluedevil58

Trying to figure out who we might move in a trade is an exercise in futility. Anyone not named Staal, Semin or Faulk could be moved depending on the circumstance. Who do we want to sign.  I just don't think its Jagr. My guess Grabo but it could be Hainsey.

If it's Hainsey, I think it's probably a d-man like Pits or Harrison that gets moved ... not necessarily about salary but just a roster spot.

I have no doubt Jagr will increase ticket sales and help sell jerseys. I just don't see this as a merchandising move. JR's rebuilding plan didn't work. This is about the playoffs.

Jagr could fit the bill but I just don't see us having to move a player to get a deal done.

edit: of course I thought we would draft Monahan

Could definitely be a Dman, I think there was something mentioned in the interview about needing to open up a roster spot for this player, which we'd obviously have at forward. 

Well, that 5.5 mil or whatever we are said to have in cap space doesn't include Lindholm.  His contract will bring us pretty close to what Jagr is supposedly asking for.  I like the idea of bringing in Jagr because he will be a great mentor for our young guys (Lindholm, Dalpe, Rask, Murphy, Skinner, etc) who we are expecting to step up.

Jagr - Lindholm - Dwyer

Well, that 5.5 mil or whatever we are said to have in cap space doesn't include Lindholm.  His contract will bring us pretty close to what Jagr is supposedly asking for.  I like the idea of bringing in Jagr because he will be a great mentor for our young guys (Lindholm, Dalpe, Rask, Murphy, Skinner, etc) who we are expecting to step up.

Jagr - Lindholm - Dwyer

We could do worse then that line. I could live with it. But given the above money scenario and with JR saying Westgarth should skate regular bottom 6 shifts who do we move to free up enough money?

This is kind of interesting. A mystery with a potentially nice ending. 

I just hope no one important goes out with any free agent out there.

I'd be happy w/ Jagr or Morrow so long as we don't lose a key piece. 

It is kind of perplexing who would have to go though. 

We could do worse then that line. I could live with it. But given the above money scenario and with JR saying Westgarth should skate regular bottom 6 shifts who do we move to free up enough money?

I think Welsh, Bowman, and Peters are candidates.

Pretty sure they are all on one-way contracts and that's what makes me think they could go.

EDIT: Actually not confident about Peters having a one-way deal this year. Can someone let me know?

Edited by TheFaulker

Jagr - Lindholm - Dwyer

As some of these qualifying RFA deals get done aren't they deducted from that Cap Space plus Lindholm as you point out? 

If it's Jagr, it could mean Skinner is the 3rd line center, ie: Lindholm - Skinner - Jagr or Lindholm - Skinner - Dwyer/Dalpe, then 2nd line of  Ruutu - J Staal - Jagr. If it's Grabo, he would probably replace Skinner at 2nd line LW,  teamed with J Staal & Ruu.