The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

It doesn't make sense if it were Grabs.  Why would he only a 1yr contract?  And he was just complaining about toronto's coach moving him to the 3rd line.

It has to be Jagr or Morrow.  Especially with all the Jagr speculation

I think Welsh, Bowman, and Peters are candidates.

Pretty sure they are all on one-way contracts and that's what makes me think they could go.

EDIT: Actually not confident about Peters having a one-way deal this year. Can someone let me know?

Peters has a one way but can be assigned to the AHL. Wouldn't count against our cap.

I'd agree with #5 and #6 Remkin.   Like bluedevil58, I have concerns with the third line and we have no idea what we're going to get with the Lindholm at the NHL level.   I would like to have a 3rd line that is tough to play against every time they step on the ice and putting up some points wouldn't hurt too.

Well gotta agree w/ #1 and #2 (and #5 and #6) don't you? I mean the guy can help the PP, and he's going to put up more points than Bowman.

1. Carolina Hurricanes: This could be the best match of all for Jagr. The Hurricanes finished out of the playoffs last year, but they were quite competitive in the first half of the season before goalie Cam Ward got hurt.

The Hurricanes should have Ward back, and backup Anton Khudobin is competent if Ward can't play. But the one thing the Hurricanes don't have is strength at the right wing position. Aside from Alex Semin, the Hurricanes don't have right wings who can score with any kind of consistency. The presence of Jagr could help the Hurricanes become a much more dangerous team.

I am afraid that to get Jagr---we will have to trade a high $$ asset---like Skinner. If he does that for a

1 year gain of an aging star, I will be upset because we have given up other first round picks

( ie Ladd, Sutter)-------and we historically are not great at stocking our prospect pool.

The only other high dollar asset would be Pits---who only has one year left on his contract---

but would hate to see JR do that either, because we finally have a marginally credible D.

It this one year person wants more than we can fit under our cap without a major loss--then

I say, move on, JR !

If I had to throw a name for the sake of throwing a name, I could see JR parting with Ruutu to make room for whomever this mystery player is. He'd bring in a good pick or maybe a decent defensive prospect.

JR considers him core. And we're low on forward depth as it is. I love Ruutu even though I am not at all a fan of his contract. Moving Harrison makes some sense since we have a top 5 defensive corp with Murphy and Bellmore coming up.

Salary wise there wouldn't be a need to move anyone to fit in Jagr since we'd likely give him a contract similar to Iginla's (2 mil starting salary with 2 or so million in performance balances that only affect our cap for the season after the 1 year contract,) not sure depth wise tho.

No way does JR trade Skinner for a guy on a 1 year contract. Just no way.

Ruutu, maybe. Personally Ruutu now for Jagr at 41 would not be worth the trouble and I'd be let down if that were the deal. Ruutu can bang bodies and is still faster and probably puts up about the same points. That would be a just for the novelty of it, sell more tickets, generate buzz move. The only exception is that Jagr can still make more points on the PP which is a need, but still...

Now if Ruutu could bring something back in a trade...but what else do we need...another forward?

Even if Jagr is on the second line, that would be fine. So long as Ruutu and Skinner are still here either of them can slide down to the third w/ Linholm and say Dwyer and make a pretty good third line. 

I'm not saying it is Jagr, but if it is I'm only on board if we don't have to move a top 6 guy to do it. However, if we can do it by moving a smaller piece. Do it. 

Then again, not sure why we'd have to move a smaller piece. What is JR up to? Fascinating.

Edited by remkin

So I went away and started thinking about Legend's thought and while I'm not sure I'm a fan, it does make sense.

Of the FA's left, there are none worth trading Staals, Skinner, Semin, or Tlusty for, not even close. On the defense only Pits would now be a candidate with enough salary. But moving him leaves a big hole in our biggest problem area and frankly none of the FA out there are clearly better than Pits anyway. So Pits our would have to be for a Dman in. Can't see any of them being worth that. 

Obviously we are not trading Lindholm, so that leaves tertiary and lower forwards, and Ruutu. 

But why would we need to move small contract forwards? Are we that tight? Someone needs to play on the fourth line. 

That pretty much leaves Ruutu. As one of my favorite players I really hope it ain't so, but w/ one year left and assuming we don't re-sign him, that is one year of Ruutu vs. one year of Jagr. Personally I'd take Ruutu, but what if JR can get some value for Ruutu? It would really be Ruutu vs. Jagr plus return on Ruutu. Kills me, but could be a good deal. What if the return on Ruutu was that physical scrappy third liner and a pick? 

Plus, JR is trying to move this player, which suggests it has to be a trade, and likely not just a movement of a lower echelon player. 

Ruutu plus a player plus a pick  for Jagr or Morrow or? Might be worth it.

Edited by remkin

If JR is trying to move Ruutu I just feel like this is going to end up being another Whitney situation.

We're either after Jagr (which legit sources are now saying we are,) or Hainsey. Honestly if I were JR and I could make this happen I would:

Skinner + prospect (not sure who, probably a good defensive prospect like Biega) to NYR for Marc Staal. That would give us plenty of room to sign Jagr at 4 mil (still expecting to see 2.5 mil with 2 mil in performance bonuses) and would improve our defense even more and would make this offseason that much more successful then last offseason.

Edited by Blinding

Does anybody with any Dallas connections, maybe AWACS, have any idea if the addition of Jagr affected ticket sales?  I'm just curious if anybody figured that out somehow?

By the time the season started in January, I was in the process of moving to Germany, so I really didn't get to check in on the Stars at all :censored:

OK... so I have the answer to why JR needs to move a contract in order to sign Jagr or Morrow at $3-3.5M. According to CapGeek, the Canes have $5.435M. If the Canes sign Morrow or Jagr at lets say... $3.25M. That leaves $2.185M in cap space. But remember, that JR still has to sign Lindholm. And he could easily have a cap hit of $2.185M.

Another nail biting day ahead. I truly would hate seeing Ruutu go, just when he's gotten both hips fixed and should be back to form. Is this turning into multiple deals, or is the price really that high for who we are going for?

Also, man I hope Lindholm ends up panning out for us....I keep trying to figure out the lines and keep coming up with him centering 3rd.

I don't know what the price is given the mystery player, but to have to shed cap room is there anyone on our 3rd and 4th lines who would really make a big enough dent to serve any purpose?

If we shed a D-man....that just doesn't make any sense considering our depth there.

There is no way that we should trade Ruutu to free up room for Jagr. That's just stupid!

Trading Skinner and Pits for a good Power forward and a top 2 dman.... I would take it in a heart beat. Have you seen how much we are spending on our forwards compared to our D? There is a huge imbalance salary wise....

There is no way that we should trade Ruutu to free up room for Jagr. That's just stupid!

Trading Skinner and Pits for a good Power forward and a top 2 dman.... I would take it in a heart beat. Have you seen how much we are spending on our forwards compared to our D? There is a huge imbalance salary wise....

And when you factor in that we're paying Gleason over twice what he's worth, it's very lopsided! 

Trying to think about a team where it might make some sense to deal Ruutu and Nashville seems to fit the bill with Colin Wilson and a pick coming to us...Wilson is hurt though, shoulder surgery and may not be ready for the beginning of the season; he is however, a perfect fit on the 3rd line for us.  6'1", 213, 23 years old and had 19 points in 25 games before his injury.