The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

Well, that 5.5 mil or whatever we are said to have in cap space doesn't include Lindholm.  His contract will bring us pretty close to what Jagr is supposedly asking for.  I like the idea of bringing in Jagr because he will be a great mentor for our young guys (Lindholm, Dalpe, Rask, Murphy, Skinner, etc) who we are expecting to step up.

Jagr - Lindholm - Dwyer

Sorry, but your cap argument doesn't hold water, because NHL teams are allowed to go 10% or 6.43M over the cap in the off season...So the Canes really have 11-12M in current space. Sign the player...then move some one if you need to...Lindholm might go to Sweden, & not even count against the cap.

This is why I don't understand why you wouldn't go ahead, & sign the "Elite" player you want...then figure out the cap...Canes would have until opening night to figure it out!!!  Either you are all in or you are not.

JR please stop putting your toe in the water, & just jump in!!!

Ray Shero in his FA press conference said this same thing...He went & got the player(Scuderi), & now he has almost 3 months to figure the cap space out.  He admitted he will probably have to trade a D for a cheap 3rd or 4th line forward.

If we are making a trade for cap space I would guess we don't want any NHL salary back. So we would be looking to add picks or prospects in return. Just my guess.

If JR makes a move to free up salary, he'll have to give up draft picks to get that other GM to take his garbage! AT least that's how its worked recently. 

Those NTCs he gave Gleason and Ruutu....stupid or what? 

Food for thought:

http://www.bruins101.com/2013/07/09/could-brad-marchand-and-chris-kelly-be-the-next-to-leave-the-boston-bruins/

Not sure how I'd feel about Marchand but Chris Kelly would sure plug the 3rd line center spot.

For those worried that JR has been slacking, these opportunities coming from teams over budget are exactly what he's watching and waiting for.  As we get closer to August, teams are going to get more and more desperate.

Edited by TSA

Since we have nothing else to talk about, how about this wildamount of moves?

Skins and harrison to stl for oshie and bouwmeester. Stl needs to move cap space to sign stewart and piets. The move frees up 3.6 mil for them. Gives us a number one d man that doesnt get injured and a decent replacement for skins that is signed for 3 more seasons.

Move pits to the avalanche for McGinn and Elliot. This move frees up 1.9 mil for us, gives col another top defender they want, and gives us a young right shot dman and lw 3rd liner.

Then sign jagr to a 1 year 3 mil deal. We got 600k under the cap.

Tlusty-Staal-Semin

Oshie/Ruutu-Staal-Jagr

McGinn-Oshie/Ruutu-Dwyer

Westgarth-welsh-Nash/bowman/staal

Bouw-Faulk

Gleason-Sekera

Kom-Elliot

Pretty legit to me. Oshie and Jagr help on the PP. oshie can play lw on the staal 2nd line when lindholm is ready or play there now if the 3rd line is the checking line. Thats a decent nhl 13 trading scenario right there.

Remkin---Ruutu just re-signed for four years last season---he is signed thru 2016. I am not for trading a top six forward

with a long term contract for an aging forward signing for one year---that seems like a net loss to me !

That pretty much leaves Ruutu. As one of my favorite players I really hope it ain't so, but w/ one year left and assuming we don't re-sign him, that is one year of Ruutu vs. one year of Jagr. Personally I'd take Ruutu, but what if JR can get some value for Ruutu? It would really be Ruutu vs. Jagr plus return on Ruutu. Kills me, but could be a good deal. What if the return on Ruutu was that physical scrappy third liner and a pick? 

Edited by UNCCaniac8

Really interested to see what shakes out here...Jagr playing with J Staal and Skinner could be an insanely productive line...no pressure on Jagr to score goals but he could put up 50/60 Assists controlling the puck, making space and feeding his linemates...essentially he'd be Ron Francis on the wing.  If we trade Ruutu we will need a player in return who can be on the 3rd line and might be able to move up to the 2d line next year.  That's why I like this Wilson kid from Nashville...he's young, has size, can score and at 2 mil/year for the next 2 years we open up 2.75 mil in cap space by moving Ruutu's contract which goes through 2016. 

Remkin---Ruutu just re-signed for four years last season---he is signed thru 2016. I am not for trading a top six forward

with a long term contract for an aging forward signing for one year---that seems like a net loss to me !

Ah, my bad. Why did I think he was on his last year? The only thing is that of course might give him more trade value. JR might get a solid piece back.

I'm am not for trading Ruutu, especially since he brings so much this team needs, and I am hoping it's not him. W/ the NTC he would have to want to move also. 

Just trying to figure out a guy who in theory could be traded and has enough salary to make it worth doing. 

Pits or a NTC waived Gleason would also qualify, but why? The defense cannot afford to lose anyone to bring in a forward. That would be moving backwards. It would seem to have to be a forward. But Dwyer? Bowman? We've already cleared the decks of Nodl, Brent, LaRose, Sanguinetti.

Bowman? Doesn't make anything. Sure cut him lose somehow, but he would not seem to be a big enough piece to block this. Dwyer? Same thing really. And again, someone still has to be the #9 forward and fill out the 4th line. Nash is on a two-way. Westgarth. Sure, but again not much salary there. It's just hard to figure out who else it could be. 

Again, as much as I would seriously hate to see Ruutu go, if he brought back say: a top prospect, a scrappy, productive third liner, and a first round pick? (not saying he would), but if he did, 

We get: pick, prospect, Jagr

Lose: Ruutu

Edited by remkin

One other thing. 

As to the Ruutu signed multi years vs a FA for one year thing, yes, but we'd have more cap space next year to pick up another FA to replace what would have been Ruutu. Maybe by then Nash or Dalpe surprise. Plus moving forward need to sign Tlusty, Faulk, and possibly even Khudobin and Komisarek. If those two deliver the goods, we'll want to resign them and they'll be commanding big raises. 

JR might be looking down the line.

All just conjecture here, I have no idea, but I'd love to hear who else it could be.

And Ruutu does have that NMC....

Edited by remkin

Trading away the only guy that knows how to play a physical game on our entire team. What a great concept right?

I would really hate to see him go for many reasons and that is a big one. Hopefully it's someone else.

If we got an awesome return on him then that's one thing but I really doubt he's going anywhere. Let's hope that 5.75M a year pans out. I'm hoping it's a 3rd or 4th liner and we're just looking at a number crunch here in all seriousness and some breathing room.

Skinner is a defensive liability, has a horrible attitude, and is one concussion away from his career ending. That's my pick.

I don't think JR would make that move although I do agree that Skins career could be a short one with the pace of frequent concussions. Pits is also coming off a broken heel so he may be a consideration to be moved. I thought all along that Jagr was the guy we were looking at but it doesn't make sense that we would have to move someone. If we were looking at Grabs or Morrow it would make sense to move Joni.

Ah, the conundrum continues, often raging between the ridiculous to the sublime. I guess that is the state of mind when we are so starved for hockey here in Carolina, having missed out on the big dance several years in a row!

Just to start my thoughts, there a few things that have occured to me that I'd like to review and to have some sort of confirmation on. 1st, I'd previously written to anyone for clarification on the Cap situation, and when a team needs to be in compliance with that figure. There was some type of indirect answer in another blog that seems to state that the CAP figure needs to be adhered to at the start of the season, and further that a team is allowed to be 10% over prior to season start. This being the case, the $64 mil figure becomes less important, at least for the next few weeks, at least that's how it appears to me and to some of the other GM's it appears.

2nd, there appears to be some confusion on Lindholm's pending offer. Figures I've observed being thrown around here range from slightly over $1 mil to something ludicrous over $3 mil. Now if I'm understanding the jest of his ELC, there is both a "standard" figure as well as several attainable bonuses, but, apparently according to the new CBA, the overage will be attributed to NEXT YEAR'S CAP. thus these figures over $2 to 3 million dollars will only come into play NEXT YEAR. If this is a correct understanding, we do not have to be concerned for this next season. Someone please inform me if this is incorrect.

Next, listening to Rutherford's most recent interview on 99.9, he states that "we have to move out a player, before we are able to add a player". Although debatable, I take that to mean that the focus is not the $$, but the space. Thus the ELITE FREE AGENT he's mentioned sounds as if he would duplicate a position into which one of our players has already established himself?

Finally, I keep seeing both Ruutu and Joni's names mentioned as possible candidates for movement, but as both are coming off injuries, do any of you think that they are tradeable until they are deemed fit to play?

Looking at all of the above, I do not suggest that I could hazzard a guess as to who may be the targeted ELITE FREE AGENT,

'who likes our team and is willing to be patient", but I for one surely hope that our general manager will not be tempted to potentially sacrifice our long range future for a quick fix star "for 1 year".

Yes lindholms bonuses could be applied to 14-15 seasons cap. The only issue is we have zero cap to play with for 14-15. Tlusty and faulk will be rfa's after this season. Where the cap space to keep them come from? We can bet faulk's will replace pits but what tlusty? He is going to get 5 mil. We have save some cap space now and in the future.

I can't see JR moving any of our top 6 forwards or Lindholm to make room for what could be a "one-year or trade deadline wonder". I say that as a non-Skinner fan too. Ruutu just brings so much to this team in unquantifiable terms.

Has anybody heard estimates on how much cap space JR needs/wants? Perhaps he doesn't need to move that much salary, so it could be one or two of the low-end one-way contract guys that cannot be moved to Charlotte without hitting the Canes Cap. IMO, the only d-man contract I can see being moved is Harrison and back-filling him with Bellemore as the 3rd pair with Komi.

I thought I remembered reading somewhere that implied this mystery man can play center or wing. Grabo is the only person meeting that skill. If it's him, I'd think he and Skinner could be interchangeable parts as 2nd LW or 3rd C. If it's Jagr, IMO Skinner will 3rd C, Ruutu 2nd LW, and Jagr 2nd RW.

This will be interesting as it unfolds. Ahhh, the off-season ... remember the Semin debates last summer.

Edited by Bill_B

I hope the "big name" is Morrow. He fits our needs much better. Didn't Chip speculate it might be him? Isn't Chip usually spot on? Also, JR has said Linholm will likely make the team, but I think it is much more likely that he plays RW and not center. He played mostly wing last year. I think most draft year players that make the NHL start on the wing. Didn't Staal even play his first season at LW? I think our lines could look something like this:

Tlusty/Staal/Semin

Ruutu/Staal/Lindholm

Morrow/Skinner/Dwyer

?/?/?

I have no idea who JR may be trying to move. It doesn't make sense to move a top 6 and everybody else is cheap. I don't think he would move Dwyer because we already lack penalty killers and he is cheap. I think if Joni were moveable, he would have been moved already. It's got to be the one-ways that aren't going to make the team (Peters, Bowman, Welsh, etc.).

Edited by cclifford10

Come on with trading Skins??  Not yet, he has proven he can do it and was off to a decent start last year before getting hurt.  I say he deserves one more chance in Carolina.  He's getting older and hopefully stronger and smarter and that mixed with his natural skill could lead him back to being a 30goal plus scorer for years to come.  If he's a mess again this year than I'll support looking at options to move him. 

I can't believe what I am reading on here in terms of trading Ruutu, Skinner, Pitkanen, Lindholm, etc., for a 1 year player/forward. That is insanity, it is not going to happen. We may move a Bowman, Dwyer, Welsh, Peters, or someone like that, but that is all that is going to/may happen.

It must be the heat...

Edited by Kyrule

Some thoughts:

• Didn't JR mention that the "big name" felt like he might face "less pressure" here in Carolina than some other places?
  • Might the pressure issue indicate a particularly disappointing past season? 
  • Any place with more pressure than Toronto?
  • Semin's relationship with Washington turned frosty before they let him go. Might his successful move here have been noticed by someone sharing some similarities in circumstances?
  • Is Grabovski actually a "big name" talent at this point?

By no means a prediction, purely wild speculation on my part.