The Official Site of the Carolina Hurricanes
OBXer

2013-14 In-Season Canes News, Updates and Talk

I'm reading the @msmithcanes twitter conversations regarding the mysterious FA who has interest in playing with Carolina and the possible salary move(s). Its better then watching the Abbott and Costello  "Who's on First".

I did learn we are beginning working on signing Lindholm and Sangs signed with the KHL.

I'm reading the @msmithcanes twitter conversations regarding the mysterious FA who has interest in playing with Carolina and the possible salary move(s). Its better then watching the Abbott and Costello  "Who's on First".

I did learn we are beginning working on signing Lindholm and Sangs signed with the KHL.

Saw this Mike Smith tweet on the CanesCountry comment section today:

@MSmithCanes: #Canes GM Jim Rutherford confirmed Jaromir Jagr is not the player he was referring to last Friday.

If true, then IMO it is a player with some baggage that wants to come to this market to re-establish himself, like Grabo or Hainsey. 

Grabo lost his cool when he was blind-sided by his buy-out; but Komi had extremely good things to say about him as a player and teammate. Hainsey got labeled a problem by GM's involved in Lockout contract negotiations. It generated conjecture that his aggressive negotiating style could really damage his career.

If it's not one of these guys, I don't see a "top tier" guy out there. Mason Raymond would be a nice adder but I've never considered him a "top tier" guy. Raymond - Lindholm - Dwyer or Raymond - Skinner - Lindholm would look good for generating some fast offense.

NOTE: Does anybody remember hearing that this mystery FA could play C or Wing?  I thought I read that somewhere but can't find it.

Edited by Bill_B

NOTE: Does anybody remember hearing that this mystery FA could play C or Wing?  I thought I read that somewhere but can't find it.

Someone corrected me on that same assumption, and said that JR had moved on from the mystery FA talk to speaking about Lindholm being able to play center or wing.

Since I can never hear the questions (which drives me crazy) I am assuming whoever it was who was adamant about it being Lindholm he was talking about is right.

It'll be interesting to see if he's actually as good as he appears or if the Bruins D just make alot of goalies look good.

Wow, Tukka Rask won the lottery.   8 years/ $56 million.  And Toronto gave him away why?

Someone corrected me on that same assumption, and said that JR had moved on from the mystery FA talk to speaking about Lindholm being able to play center or wing.

Since I can never hear the questions (which drives me crazy) I am assuming whoever it was who was adamant about it being Lindholm he was talking about is right.

Thanks Coastal.

It'll be interesting to see if he's actually as good as he appears or if the Bruins D just make alot of goalies look good.

I was thinking the same about Khudobin.

SuckaPunchd, I'm starting to think you are really Nostradamus masquerading as a Caniac!

What an amazing statement you made back in April.   Wow!!

Hahaha, I guess after years of listening to JR and watching what he actually does, you get better at guessing. I'd like to be optimistic about Komi, but I mean, what is there to be? We just have to hope he turns into the next Semin who goes out next season and leads the team in hits and shot blocks or something.

We also just signed Aaron Palushaj 1 year 2way 600k. More depth, potential fourth line winger.

We are on the same page about him that's for sure.

I was thinking the same about Khudobin.

We just signed Aaron Palushag to a one year two way. Depth RW. 9 points in 25 games last year that's not terrible for a depth guy.

Edited by legend-1

Detroit Red WingsBrendan Smith 

Edmonton OilersSam Gagner
Los Angeles KingsTrevor Lewis, Alec Martinez, Jake Muzzin, Jordan Nolan
Montreal Canadiens: Ryan White
Nashville Predators: Nick Spaling
New York Islanders: Josh Bailey
New York Rangers: Mats Zuccarello
Ottawa Senators: Eric Condra
Pittsburgh Penguins: Robert Bortuzzo
St. Louis Blues: Chris Stewart
Toronto Maple Leafs: Mark Fraser, Carl Gunnarsson
Vancouver Canucks: Dale Weise
Winnipeg Jets: Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little, Paul Postma, Eric Tangradi, Blake Wheeler

These are players going to salary arbitration. A lot of these guys could potentially become available. Some pretty big names.

Winnipeg Jets: Zach Bogosian, Bryan Little, Paul Postma, Eric Tangradi, Blake Wheeler

These are players going to salary arbitration. A lot of these guys could potentially become available. Some pretty big names.

Maybe JR is waiting to see what happens with some of this talent. There are some really good players on this list.

Edited by Bill_B

Do these guys become UFA's or do some become RFA's?

Because Brendan Smith sticks out big time for me...

Maybe JR is waiting to see what happens with some of this talent. There are some really good players on this list.

It would be the smart thing to do. Plus if JR makes the right move to make room, we could potentially get Morrow (who I think is our mystery man) or Jagr PLUS someone off this list (potentially).

He is too small.

Palushaj is 6ft, how is that too small?

Do these guys become UFA's or do some become RFA's?

Because Brendan Smith sticks out big time for me...

I believe if the arbitrator rules in favor of the player and says he is worth a certain amount, the team can accept or reject the settlement. If they reject it, the player can sign with another team.

I thought he was 5.11 187 pounds?

About the size of Mason Raymond (6.0, 185)

Edited by Bill_B

Not a big deal but I noticed that some of our new additions recently had their numbers listed on our roster/in the system page:

Sekera #4

Komisarek #5

Lindholm #16

Pesche #54

Pederson #67

Flood #46

No number for khudobin yet, maybe he is trying to get #35 from Peters.

We just signed Michal Jordan 1 year 2 way 550k

WHAT IS GOING ON?!!? Ilya Kovalchuk just retired. Seriously. Dominoes to fall? I feel bad for NJ, first Parise now this.

Here's what Ilya had to say (or some of it)

Statement from Ilya Kovalchuk:
“This decision was something I have thought about for a long time going back to the lockout and spending the year in Russia. Though I decided to return this past season, Lou was aware of my desire to go back home and have my family there with me. The most difficult thing for me is to leave the New Jersey Devils, a great organization that I have a lot of respect for, and our fans that have been great to me.”

Edited by SuckaPunchd

Wow!I am glad I am not a Devils fan. What awful timimg! He should have done this before the draft and free agency. The Devils might take a long time to recover from this.

Yep.  Now who wants to bet NJ overpays Jagr? If Lou plays his cards right he could swoop down and snag one of those RFA's heading into Arbitration should their team no want to honor the value they are deemed. 

Kovy had 816 points in 816 games. 

And we sign Murphy as well. Palushaj, Nash, Sutter, Corrente, Flood, Jordan, and now Mike Murphy. 

The only remaining RFA's qualified now are Boychuk, Dalpe, and Jared Staal.

Edited by SuckaPunchd